Dicom RT/ Dicom overlays

Hi,

First off, I am new to the site so please bear with me and feel free to offer up any advice on how to better pose questions for this forum. Now on to the nitty gritty.

I am currently trying to overlay contours contained in a Dicom RT 'STRUCT' file onto CT slices that are in the standard Dicom format. So far I have been able to overlay the contour (of a Brainstem) onto the correct CT slice. The problem arises from there being an inherent offset of the contour to the actual CT slice. I am trying to rectify this but have been unsuccessful so far.

I have noticed that the header of the Dicom RT 'STRUCT' object is not nearly as comprehensive as that of the standard Dicom header. Any reason? are parts hidden? if so how would I go about accessing them? I would like to find the .ImagePositionPatient parameter from the Dicom RT file to see if its value differs significantly, if at all, from that of the CT slice in standard Dicom (this could be the source of my offset).

If you have run into this shifted offset problem and/or have any possible suggestions that may help they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Colin