Distributed parallel computing without distributed server?

I have the parallel computing toolbox, but not the distributed computing server. Is it possible to run distributed jobs on a local network cluster from programs written with the parallel toolbox without the distributed server? Or is the server more than just a scheduler; e.g. does it serve as Matlab's alternative to MPI in addition to actually scheduling the jobs?

Thanks!
0
mlohry (37)

"Mark " <mlohry@gmail.com> writes:

> I have the parallel computing toolbox, but not the distributed computing
> server. Is it possible to run distributed jobs on a local network cluster from
> programs written with the parallel toolbox without the distributed server? Or
> is the server more than just a scheduler; e.g. does it serve as Matlab's
> alternative to MPI in addition to actually scheduling the jobs?

You need Matlab Distributed Computing Server (MDCS) licences to run workers on
machines other than the machine where you have installed MATLAB + PCT,
regardless of which scheduler you use. This is so that you do not need full
MATLAB + PCT licences for the workers - each worker needs only a single MDCS
licence, regardless of which toolboxes are used by your parallel application.

(As it happens, we ship a full build of MPICH2 to implement our MPI
functionality with both PCT and MDCS.)

Cheers,

Edric.
0
eellis (488)
4/14/2009 8:01:02 AM
> You need Matlab Distributed Computing Server (MDCS) licences to run workers on
> machines other than the machine where you have installed MATLAB + PCT,
> regardless of which scheduler you use. This is so that you do not need full
> MATLAB + PCT licences for the workers - each worker needs only a single MDCS
> licence, regardless of which toolboxes are used by your parallel application.
>
> (As it happens, we ship a full build of MPICH2 to implement our MPI
> functionality with both PCT and MDCS.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Edric.

So if Matlab's parallel communication between different workers is done via MPI, could it be possible to use internal environment variables from this communication for MPI based open Matlab libraries such as MatlabMPI?
In this way, one might use MatlabMPI within the parallel Matlab environment of the MDCS and use these worker licences instead of real Matlab licences?

Regards, Rafael