Eb/No versus BER plot

hi,
well this prob anooying me for a long time..hope anyone of you can
help me......actually im plotting the BER vs EbNo plot for a
convolutionally coded (k/n) system......am using the simulink 'awgn'
block and wants to know the parameters that need to be put in...im
putting the parameters as follows

Mode= Signal to Noise ratio (Es/No)

Es/No= Eb_No( the value im inputting from 0-14) +
10log10(2/3)(factor iv added because of 1/3 coding)

input signal power= 1

symbol period= (2/3)(factor iv added for 1/3
coding)*(3.125e-7/100)(my bit period)

the plots i get from these parameters doesnt match the theoretical
plot..:(

regards
asad
comp.soft-sys.matlab 206928 articles. 560 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

I think you may be entering this coding factor (2/3) twice.
Check the help page titled "Describing the Noise Level of an AWGN
Channel" in the communications toolbox.
(Also check: rate 1/3 coding entered as 2/3?)

asad mahmood wrote:

> hi,
> well this prob anooying me for a long time..hope anyone of you can
> help me......actually im plotting the BER vs EbNo plot for a
> convolutionally coded (k/n) system......am using the simulink
> 'awgn'
> block and wants to know the parameters that need to be put in...im
> putting the parameters as follows
>
> Mode= Signal to Noise ratio (Es/No)
>
> Es/No= Eb_No( the value im inputting from 0-14) +
> 10log10(2/3)(factor iv added because of 1/3 coding)
>
> input signal power= 1
>
> symbol period= (2/3)(factor iv added for 1/3
> coding)*(3.125e-7/100)(my bit period)
>
> the plots i get from these parameters doesnt match the theoretical
> plot..:(
>
> regards
> asad
hi,
well if i dont enter it ffor twice it gets worse...pulse the factor
2/3 that were talking of is actually 2*1/3 where the 2 comes because
of QPSK modulation.....neways thanks for forwarding me the page but
it doesnt talk of the parammeter 'input signal power'!!
neways tx again

asad

S F wrote:

> I think you may be entering this coding factor (2/3) twice.
> Check the help page titled "Describing the Noise Level of an AWGN
> Channel" in the communications toolbox.
> (Also check: rate 1/3 coding entered as 2/3?)

Xilinx versus Elixent; other radically different concepts?
A while back, searching for technologies more adapted to creating a microprocessor with a customized instruction set, I came across the web site for Elixent. They have a chip which contains a microprocessor, plus a fabric, something like an FPGA, but in which the cells are not simple gates or look-up tables, but instead ALUs. Also, NEC and other companies have 'reconfigurable computing' chips with many small computers of a sort. Are there other kinds of software-customizable chips out there that are very different from an FPGA? John Savard http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html ________...

How to clear an object plot
Hi again, #1 I'm calling the new IDL 8.0 plot feature object plot has an official name has been found for this guy ? :-) #2 I'm creating a very simple plot > _p = plot(indgen(10)) but now I want to very quickly display another using the same _p window. Closing this one and creating a new one won't work because I need to do this at a very high rate. To get the full story, I have an application that shows a 2d image (using tvscl). When the user moves his mouse over this image, the z vs x and z vs y are plotted in 2 differents plot objects. I tried to use _p.selec...

Combining plots and using different colors
I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me with the following problem. I wrote the following simple code. pl1=Plot3D[2x+y^2, {x,-10,10}, {y,-10,10}]; pl2=Plot3D[x+y, {x,-10,10}, {y,-10,10}, ColorOutput -> CMYKColor]; Show[pl1, pl2] I tried many different things to have the two graphs in two different colors when they are plotted together but nothing seems to work. Is it possible to combine two three dimensional graphs in the same plot in Mathematica and color them differently? >-----Original Message----- >From: Vladimira Ilieva [mai...

Chi-square versus G-square versus Fisher's
Can anyone recommend a paper or text or website that clearly and concisely compares the appropriateness of these tests (Chi-square versus G-square versus Fisher's) under different conditions. I appreciate that Fisher's is usually preferred in the 2X2 contingency with small samples, but at what sample size would we select a chi-square? When would G-square be preferred over chi-square? And how are each of these tests effected by rare events (eg. low expected frequencies)? Thanks in advance. Ian LogReg wrote: > Can anyone recommend a paper or text or website that clea...

CMBB at EB
Hello - not sure if this has been posted before, but CMBB has turned up in my local EB's - $39.99, IIRC. G In article <20031101233542.05656.00000105@mb-m26.aol.com>, gac601 @aol.com says... > Hello - not sure if this has been posted before, but CMBB has turned up in my > local EB's - $39.99, IIRC. I've got it at Borders, Best Buy, and Gamestop for $40. -- Giftzwerg *** "[A] coalition of nations--including France, Germany and Canada-- mounted a massive air war against Serbia a few years ago without Security Council authorization, under Presid...

(Prolog + LISP + Erlang) with integration issues versus C++
Hello Given the insistence of the members of the team to use the best language for specific purpose, we have code that is written in 1. Prolog (enumerating device drivers, goal seek) 2. LISP (classical AI stuff, inference) 3. Erlang (server, communication and distributedness) The products we have used are 1. gprolog 2. clisp 3. Erlang/OTP The independent modules have been developed successfully, however we are unable to surmount the language boundaries and connect Erlang to Prolog, Erlang to CLisp and CLisp to Prolog. The team has quickly built the components (less than 3 months) a...

4D Plotting
Hi, I have a 4xN matrix. The first three columns are the inputs of my system and the fourth is the output. Each element has his own standard deviation. For example, my data is A(1,1) +- sigma(1,1) | A(1,2) +- sigma(1,2) | A(1,3) +- sigma(1,3) | A(1,4) +- sigma(1,4) .... .. .. So, each row is the centre of my hipervolume in 4D space and each sigma is the radius in one direction. How can i plot this N hipervolumes in one figure? Thanks. I need help!! Pleae, answer my question!! ...

How to calculate Eb/No?
Hi, I'm reading a paper about simulation of adaptive array algorithms in digital mobile communications system. It's from: J. Fernandez I.R. Corden and M. Barret "Adaptive array algorithms for optimal combining in digital mobile communications systems". IEE 8th International Conference on Antennas and Propagation . pp 983-986. Edimburg. March 1993. In this paper, it said: The output y(n) from the optimum combiner is composed of the desired signal d(n) and noise plus interference n(n). The output noise is then computed as: w(n)=Re[y(n)-d(n)]. For BPSK, only the real part ...

HTML Escape Sequence versus \
Hello, I'm having problems with the apostrophe character when building a Javascript array. I've come up with two different ways to fix the problem. I wondered if any one had any input as to which approach would be "best practices" and why. Approach 1: var aMyArray = new Array(); aMyArray[aMyArray.length] = new Array('Person&#39;s name.', '', 'False', '', 'True'); Approach 2: var aMyArray = new Array(); aMyArray[aMyArray.length] = new Array('Person\'s name.', '', 'False', '', 'True')...

LPC1788 versus LPC2478
Hi, I have a project running on a LPC2478 with a QVGA LCD, similar to the Olimex LPC2478-STK (a subset ). It runs at 72MHz. The size of my code is approaching the 500k limit, so I have tried to cross load the code from a serial flash to external SD-RAM and execute the code from the external SD-RAM. In this way my code can exceed the 500k limit. Unfortunately, the execution speed is slower when running from the SD-RAM. It runs app. tree times slower. The speed reduction comes probably because the LCD uses the SD-RAM, and therefore occupies the bus, resulting in reduced acce...

Widgets and contour plots
Hi, I am trying to write a widget program were buy passing the cursor over a contour plot a varying 2d plot changes according to the value where the cursor lies. I have a contour window with two boxes below that display the corresponding x and y values from the cursor location. So, i want to take the x value to produce a corresponding plot of the contour values against the y value. How do i take the x value and use that to generate a new plot? many thanks Clive Cook Clive Cook wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to write a widget program were buy passing the cursor over a > contou...

Help on polar plot in matlab
Dear experts, Is there any way to change the settings of grid line spacing, the values on the radial and theta axes, the axis size of a polar plot in MATLAB? I tried looking at the handle of polar plot but neither property appears useful. Thanks. Randolph. Randolph C. K. Leung wrote: > > > Dear experts, > > Is there any way to change the settings of grid line > spacing, the values on the radial and theta axes, the > axis size of a polar plot in MATLAB? I tried looking > at the handle of polar plot but neither property appears > useful. > > Thanks. > &g...

delete performance from a standalone sql versus the same call from a procedure
Hi, Database Oracle 10.2.0.4 running on Sun Solaris. I am facing a peculiar issue. I have a package with a procedure that handles deletes off a particular table. The delete runs in sub seconds for about 10000 rows when I execute it standalone from sqlplus. But the very same statement from inside a stored procedure (of the package) indicates a full table scan and takes forever to run. What is it that I may be doing that causes the very same delete to run with different plans from a stored procedure as opposed to an anonymous sql block? Thanking you all for your response. Regards, z1hou1 z...

matlab plot #3
How do I plot with Matlab using a logarithmic scale for both X- and Y-axis? "ml Liu" <meiliu80@gmail.com> wrote in message news:gfce3n$7bl$1@fred.mathworks.com... > How do I plot with Matlab using a logarithmic scale for both X- and > Y-axis? Two ways: x = 1:10; y = x.^2; figure; loglog(x, y); figure; plot(x, y); set(gca, 'XScale', 'log', 'YScale', 'log'); -- Steve Lord slord@mathworks.com ...

Pop Quiz: aliasing versus wrapping
Below are two files that differ only in the 2nd line of code in each. Can you guess what difference they will reveal? I must admit I was surprised when I ran into this. $ cat alias.rb class Object alias_method :to_js, :inspect end class Array def to_js; "[#{map{|o|o.to_js}.join(',')}]"; end end class Hash def to_js "{#{map{|k,v| "#{k.to_s.to_js}:#{v.to_js}" }.join(',')}}" end end [ 1, [true], {a:"foo"} ].each{ |o| puts o.to_js } $ cat wrapped.rb class Object def to_js; ...

BPSK Demodulation Eb/N0 vs BER
I want to plot Eb/N0 vs BER bpsk demodulation in Matlab. I am using BPSK modulated signal @ carrier frequencey 8KHz, data rate 1KHz. Sampling rate is set I have tried to use awgn function for adding noise. This signal accepts Signal to noise ratio (SNR)in parameters. In order to convert into Eb/N0 for BPSK signal. I have used following relation SNR = Eb/N0 + 10log(R/B) (This formula i have seen for Base Band signal does it work for band pass as well) R=data rate (1KHz in our case) B= channel width (I have found in some literature that B=sampling rate=96000Hz in our case) For Eb...

named pipes versus the unnamed pipeline using "|"
Hi, We have a shell script which does something like this: $pipe = /tmp/xxx mkfifo $pipe log_reader_script < $pipe & main_program | tee -a $pipe & I was wondering, if I do the following: main_program | tee -a | log_reader_script What are the avantages, disadvantages of each approach? Thanks for your kind help. Regards, Ashish In article <1117526676.470889.79530@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Ashish <ashishg@mailinator.com> wrote: >Hi, > >We have a shell script which does something like this: > > $pipe = /tmp/xxx > mkf...

How to plot #2
Dear Experts i wanna get a figure according to a matrix for instance, my rank matrix is [ 1 5 1 2 3] (the elements in this matrix is actually the rank in the project) y axis represents the percentage x axis represents the rank the first point (rank 1)is at the point of 2/5( the value on y axis) (i have two rank 1). the second point (rank 2) is at (2+1)/5. the third point(rank 3) is at (2+1+1)/5. no rank 4 in the matrix the fourth point( rank 5) is at (2+1+1+1)/5 if i have got the rank matrix whose size is large, how can i program to plot the figure?? Regards tina Tina wrote: > ...

Need referance to identify older dimms AND Slot 1 Intel Coppermine eb 999 or Mhz (667mhz 133fsb eb now)
Subject line says it all http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm For older DIMMs, just run the chip or module markings through a search engine. Thanks Michael... Happy holidays! "Michael J. Apollyon" <zvpunry.wb@ovtsbbg.pbz> wrote in message news:%nMxb.6452$UG2.2739@nwrdny03.gnilink.net... > http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm > > For older DIMMs, just run the chip or module markings through a > search engine. > > ...

3D Density plot of voxels
I have a 3D array of voxels and I want to polt them as 3D density plot. The data are in rows that comprises 10x10 monolayer of voxels and then there are ten layers. The final product should look like a reconstructed image of CT Scanner. Thanks for your help Ali University of Marylnd Nuclear Engineering ...

Composition versus Implementation Inheritance
Most modern sources on C++ design say that composition is usually preferable to implementation inheritance because inheritance tends to lead to problems down the road unless it follows a strict model allowing substitution, where each derived class has an "is-a" relationship with the base class. I was wondering, however, if implementation inheritance (private inheritance) might be a better idea in some cases. Consider the SGI C+ + extension implementation of hash_set and hash_map. Both hash_set and hash_map use composition to reuse code from an internal class. They each have an int...

self-booting versus non self-booting system??
What is a self-booting system? What is it used for? Does it mean the CPU can fetch the instruction from certain address when the system boots? Normally it should fetch from 0 address?? Boot loader is used no matter the system is self-booting or non-self booting? please advice. thanks!! ...

showing images/plot in real time in a while loop
I have a while loop which reads image files "imageN.bmp" until it runs out of Ns. For ea file, the thing is to (supposed to) show an image, analyze it, spit out a function, and plot the function. So I ultimately want to see in real time how the image progressively changes in its own axes, and how the function progressively changes in its own axes. Eveything is working, except that only the last image/function get displayed - otherwise the program is "too busy" to show intermediate images and functions, even though the data does get processed. Why is that? The code is stra...

Continuous data plot in Matlab
I want to display a continuous flow of data in Matlab graph window. I want the X axis to be scrolling along with the data so that the most current data can be seen in the center of the graph. The y axis remains constant. Can any one help me find the functions or codes samples to do it . Please mail me at chandra_santanu@yahoo.com ...

RADEON 9200 versus RIVA TNT2 Pro #2
Hello everybody, I have a PC running with W98 and equiped with a Pentium III at 500 MHz and 512 Mo of RAM, AGP 4X bus and a graphic board with a RIVA TNT2 Pro with 32 Mo on board. I have created a program (with DELPHI 6) using OpenGL to see maps of the earth in 3D. For this, I have two files : - one which is a file of elevations in differents points, - the other which is a satellite picture of the same place. I use the first file to create the 3D figure and the second as textures (I use "quads"). When I create large maps, that is more than 100 x100 elevation points that is givin...