Eb/No versus BER plot

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

hi,
well this prob anooying me for a long time..hope anyone of you can
help me......actually im plotting the BER vs EbNo plot for a
convolutionally coded (k/n) system......am using the simulink 'awgn'
block and wants to know the parameters that need to be put in...im
putting the parameters as follows

Mode= Signal to Noise ratio (Es/No)

Es/No= Eb_No( the value im inputting from 0-14) +
10log10(2/3)(factor iv added because of 1/3 coding)

input signal power= 1

symbol period= (2/3)(factor iv added for 1/3
coding)*(3.125e-7/100)(my bit period)

the plots i get from these parameters doesnt match the theoretical
plot..:(

regards
asad
0
Reply asad.mahmood (61) 5/18/2005 1:11:58 PM

See related articles to this posting

I think you may be entering this coding factor (2/3) twice.
Check the help page titled "Describing the Noise Level of an AWGN
Channel" in the communications toolbox.
(Also check: rate 1/3 coding entered as 2/3?)

asad mahmood wrote:

> hi,
> well this prob anooying me for a long time..hope anyone of you can
> help me......actually im plotting the BER vs EbNo plot for a
> convolutionally coded (k/n) system......am using the simulink
> 'awgn'
> block and wants to know the parameters that need to be put in...im
> putting the parameters as follows
>
> Mode= Signal to Noise ratio (Es/No)
>
> Es/No= Eb_No( the value im inputting from 0-14) +
> 10log10(2/3)(factor iv added because of 1/3 coding)
>
> input signal power= 1
>
> symbol period= (2/3)(factor iv added for 1/3
> coding)*(3.125e-7/100)(my bit period)
>
> the plots i get from these parameters doesnt match the theoretical
> plot..:(
>
> regards
> asad
0
Reply susan.f.fawcett (1) 5/18/2005 2:27:49 PM

hi,
well if i dont enter it ffor twice it gets worse...pulse the factor
2/3 that were talking of is actually 2*1/3 where the 2 comes because
of QPSK modulation.....neways thanks for forwarding me the page but
it doesnt talk of the parammeter 'input signal power'!!
neways tx again

asad

S F wrote:

> I think you may be entering this coding factor (2/3) twice.
> Check the help page titled "Describing the Noise Level of an AWGN
> Channel" in the communications toolbox.
> (Also check: rate 1/3 coding entered as 2/3?)

0
Reply asad.mahmood (61) 5/18/2005 6:38:07 PM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

BER vs Eb/No plots for a coded system
hi, hav anyone of you ever tried to make a BER vs Eb/No grpah for a conv coded system?...in matlab or in simulink....what are the parameters that u chose for the Conv encoder, AWGN channel block and for the 'viterbi decoder'?......and did the plot fit well with the theoretical results? regards asad ...

Ambiguity in Eb/N0 vs BER plot
I want to plot Eb/N0 vs BER bpsk demodulation in Matlab. I am using BPSK modulated signal @ carrier frequencey 8KHz, data rate 1KHz. Sampling rate is set I have tried to use awgn function for adding noise. This signal accepts Signal to noise ratio (SNR)in parameters. In order to convert into Eb/N0 for BPSK signal. I have used following relation SNR = Eb/N0 + 10log(R/B) (This formula i have seen for Base Band signal does it work for band pass as well) R=data rate (1KHz in our case) B= channel width (I have found in some literature that B=sampling rate=96000Hz in our case) Fo...

how to calculate noise vector from Eb/No to plot a EbNo/BER graph (noise generation)
Hi, I'm doing a final project in OFDM simulation and I would like to plot a EbNo/BER graph. For a range of a specified EbNo, I I have to generate a noise added to the signal. I have no idea how I could generate a noise vector from this Eb/No. supose that my signal is x = randint(1,N) some people generate noise vector by 1/sqrt*(randn(N)+jrandn(N)) do I have to multiply this with a constealltion number? or do I have to multiply this with any OFDM process too??? Thank you very much for your reply. I'm a bit stressful right now because I don't have a lot of time to finish it. Than...

BER plot
How can I do a BER plot for a simolation of OFDM PHY that I have the ..m files ? Communications Toolbox - version 3, which is part of Release-14 (Matlab 7), comes with a neat graphical user interface BERTool - it is designed to provide exactly the same capability that you are looking for. Check out this link to learn more about its capabilities: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/comm/ HTH, Chandresh "Lony" <lony.mor-hayim@REMOVETHISorange.co.il> wrote in message news:eedf715.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > How can I do a BER plot for a simolation of OFDM PHY...

Plotting
Hi, I am trying to plot a series of randomly generated line segments. However for some weird reason the following code is not plotting all of them. For example, if I were to set the num variable to 3, it only shows either 1 or 2 lines. If i set it to 6, it only displays 4 lines... I'm lost!! If you need more parts of my code please let me know. Thanks. for i = 1:num if (i == 1) axis([0 film_length 0 film_length]); hold all; end X{i} = originX(i,1):0.1:endX(i,1); Y{i} = slope(i,1) * X{i} + intercept(i,1); p = plot(X{i},Y{i}); if (type...

Plot and Plots
Hi everyone, I am trying to produce a graphic showing continent outlines, coastlines etc, with a graticule and the footprint of a satellite image. I can do all this by using MAP_SET, and then I use PLOTS to plot a vector of the image coordinates. Using MAP_SET however, I can only specify a STEREOGRAPHIC projection, when I want a POLAR STEREOGRAPHIC projection. To get a POLAR STEREOGRAPHIC projection I need to use MAP_PROJ_INIT and then PLOT to display the graticule. However when I do this I cant seem to get PLOTS to display the image footprint. I have converted my image footprint coordinates...

plot in plot?
Hi, I've a problem with the plot- respectively imagesc-function. I want to diplay a sketch in the same figure displayed by imagesc. The problem is that the sketch does not consist of full matrix, it are just a lot of points that have to be plotted. The points are simply represented by one x-& y-value pair. By now i can display it only using a for-function and plot point by point - what needs a lot of time. Another approach was to change the linestyle of the plot and use markers, but if choose the marker '.' the sketch gets to large points. Is there a way that "plot" d...

Plot y1 versus x and y2 versus x on same graphic
Hi all Suppose I wanted to (I don't actually; a colleague does) plot the trend line for y1 vs X and the trend line for y2 vs X together on the same axes. How would I do so in SPSS? Is it possible just using the gui? (We have a site licence for version 15.0.0. Thanks. P pkald...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi all > > Suppose I wanted to (I don't actually; a colleague does) plot the > trend line for y1 vs X and the trend line for y2 vs X together on the > same axes. > > How would I do so in SPSS? Is it possible just using the gui? (We > h...

Equalizers and BER plots
Can someone provide simple matlab script BER plots for different equalizers. It can just be analysed for BPSK modulation. ...

plot BER,SNR
Transmit in AWGN channel creating 10000 bits' message to do random and confirm BER and draw graph. Length axis : BER width axis: SNR 1 bit Energy of utility is Eb AWGN mean 0, breakup No/2 Between SNR 1 ~ 6 1. When transmit BPSK 2. transmit BPSK after code using Hamming code in(7, 4) 3. transmit by QPSK 4. transmit QPSK after code using extended Hamming code in(8,4) Point message creation and AWGN creation to observe turn program about 4 case at the sun 1 times. Is not doing at all as I am beginner helps please ask please. MP wrote: > > > Transmit in AWGN channel creating...

BER plotting in matlab
Hi, I am trying to simulate a Reed-Solomon coding and decoding simulation over AWGN. My problem is that the line stop every time at SNR 7dB and BER almost 5*10-5 but the target is to reach smaller than 10^-6. I tried to run it for more time but the result is the same if I run it 100 times and 1000 times. Any suggestions? Thanks. Gionos Apostolopoulos wrote: > I am trying to simulate a Reed-Solomon coding and decoding > simulation over AWGN. > My problem is that the line stop every time at SNR 7dB and > BER almost 5*10-5 but the target is to reach smaller than 10^-6. It is diffi...

PLOTS versus POLYLINE
I have admittedly not tinkered around much yet with IDL's snazzy new graphi= cs capabilities (map, text, polygon, etc), but was going to give it a try a= nd convert a fairly simple program to the new format. In my example, a map= is drawn, then various annotations are added, and lots of lines are added = to the map (storm tracks). The tracks are in lat/lon coordinates of course= , but must be treated carefully (I don't want to just throw the entire vect= or of coordinates at it at once). Previously, I accomplished this with PLO= TS (and /CONTINUE), and looped over the points...

Generating BER plots
Hi, I'm looking for a simple and painless method of generating BER plots under Ptolemy II (SDF model). I experimented with the new RunCompositeActor actor but I couldn't effectively record the last reading of the "BER meter" at the end of the iterations. Maybe there is a better way of doing this? Regards, Peter ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu At 09:54 AM 5/28/2...

How do you plot multiple plots in an array with no space between plots?
I have some data that I'd like to plot in 12 small square plots, and then arrange those 12 plots into a 4x3 rectangular array. The thing I'd like to do that I don't know how to do is simplify the 4x3 rectangular array by squeezing the plots together, such that there is no space between the plots: the right-hand border of a plot should be coincident with the left-hand border of the plot to its right, and its lower border should be coincident with the upper border of the plot right below it. Imagine 12 squares on a checkerboard; that's what I'm aiming for. As far as I ca...

PLOTS and the new PLOT
Hi all, Can anyone tell me how the new PLOT() handles scalars/1-element arrays for X and Y? Or do you still have to use PLOTS? If you have a graphic created with PLOT(/buffer), will a subsequent call to PLOTS go on the right plot? Or will it try to go in a window? Thanks! --Gray On Aug 21, 9:13=A0am, Gray <grayliketheco...@gmail.com> wrote: > Can anyone tell me how the new PLOT() handles scalars/1-element arrays > for X and Y? =A0Or do you still have to use PLOTS? > > If you have a graphic created with PLOT(/buffer), will a subsequent > call to PLOTS...

plotting implicit plot.
hi mans.. i need to plot a circumference so i need to plot in implicit form.. such as x^2+y^2-5x-2=0.. so how can i do?? i find also this topic http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/21684 but it doesn't help me much.. i also tryed this: plot(plot::Implicit2d(x^2+y^2-1, x = -1..1, y = -1..1)) and matlab find an error.. >> plot(plot::Implicit2d(x^2+y^2-1, x = -1..1, y = -1..1)) ??? plot(plot::Implicit2d(x^2+y^2-1, x = -1..1, y = -1..1)) | Error: Unexpected MATLAB operator. maybe becouse i need to install mupad??..where i can find?.. how can i r...

Plotting density plots
Hi, I am looking for a free application running on windows able to display 2D sets of data (like a matrice) as a density plot (plotting values assumed at (x,y) by a color displayed at (x,y) on the screen). Gnuplot for instance, does not have this feature implemented. Thanks! ...

BER plotting in matlab #2
Hi, I am trying to simulate a Reed-Solomon coding and decoding simulation over AWGN. My problem is that the line stop every time at SNR 7dB and BER almost 5*10-5 but the target is to reach smaller than 10^-6. I tried to run it for more time but the result is the same if I run it 100 times and 1000 times. Any suggestions? Thanks. ...

How to plot an empty Plot?
Hi folks, i have a data-file like this: datafile---- date time y1 y2 y3 22.02.2007 15:51:58 20.72 19.36 21.08 20.69 22.37 20 31.8 32.1 954.7 22.02.2007 15:52:02 20.71 19.36 21.08 20.69 22.36 20 31.8 32.1 954.7 22.02.2007 15:52:06 20.71 19.36 21.08 20.69 22.36 20 31.8 32.1 954.7 ----/datafile i now want to plot a graph with date/time as x-axis and one of the other y-rows. It works so far so good if i set xrange to a date/time which is included in the data-file. If i try to set a time, which isn't included i don't get an empty graph as su...

XOM versus BP versus MSFT versus NOVL
Some food for thought. Regrettably, I did not get a chance to catch a certain prime-time infomercial (and such is not directly relevant to COLA anyway), but I can go on a more general rant regarding oil companies -- and other, more COLA-relevant companies. First, identification of the oil/gas companies appears to be limited to about 3: XOM - aka Exxon-Mobil. BP - British Petroleum CVX - Chevron Corporation (this according to http://finance.yahoo.com/q/co?s=XOM ) Total net income for all three: about $89.1B, of which XOM corrals $43.64B -- almost half. BBC news reports "Another recor...

How to plot surface plots
I would like to know how to make surface plot using X, Y and Z. I have values for all the three variables. A Surface plot for force is required (Z) Speed Feed Force 1050 0,05 88 1050 0,1 103,2 1050 0,15 129,4 2020 0,05 89 2020 0,1 111,2 2020 0,15 124,25 2750 0,05 73,2 2750 0,1 100,25 2750 0,15 137,33 "Vijayan " <vkrishnaraj@hotmail.com> wrote in message <gvgq6a$o4s$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I would like to know how to make surface plot using X, Y and Z. > > I have values for all the three variables. A Surface plot for force is required (Z) > > Speed ...

Plot and area in same plot?
I would like to plot a line and color a specific area under the line. However, if I do a area command after the plot command, the plot is disappearing. How can I do this? Peter <peter@smitmail.eu> wrote in message <9b5e40a8-67db-4c29-8f75-c62508daa0ee@g31g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>... > I would like to plot a line and color a specific area under the line. > > However, if I do a area command after the plot command, the plot is > disappearing. How can I do this? If you want one plot to remain while putting another one down, use the HOLD command: >> hold on &quo...

Plot contour plots on 2D planes of 3D plot
Hi, I am trying to plot 3 contour plots (2D) on the three planes that defines a 3D plot, I mean, one contour plot in the ZX plane, another in the ZY, and the last one in the XY plane. Any idea how to do it? Cheers, Jorge. "Jorge " <j.fernandez@uam.es> wrote in message <frtvud$el7$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi, > > I am trying to plot 3 contour plots (2D) on the three planes > that defines a 3D plot, I mean, one contour plot in the ZX > plane, another in the ZY, and the last one in the XY plane. > Any idea how to do it? > &...

Labeled Plot not a Plot?
My latest hassle arises, so far as I can tell, from doing the following: myPlot = <An ordinary plot>; myLabeledPlot = Labeled[myPlot, "\nMy label string\n", {{Top,Left}}]; Print[myLabeled Plot]; Export["my_labeled_plot.pdf", myLabeledPlot]; and then importing my_labeled_plot.pdf into a Tex source file using pdftex. The output of the Print[myLabeledPlot] looks fine: just what I want, and all in one cell. But when the exported my_labeled_plot.pdf file is either viewed in the TeX'd file or just opened in Acrobat, the label strin...