Eb/No versus BER plot

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

hi,
well this prob anooying me for a long time..hope anyone of you can
help me......actually im plotting the BER vs EbNo plot for a
convolutionally coded (k/n) system......am using the simulink 'awgn'
block and wants to know the parameters that need to be put in...im
putting the parameters as follows

Mode= Signal to Noise ratio (Es/No)

Es/No= Eb_No( the value im inputting from 0-14) +
10log10(2/3)(factor iv added because of 1/3 coding)

input signal power= 1

symbol period= (2/3)(factor iv added for 1/3
coding)*(3.125e-7/100)(my bit period)

the plots i get from these parameters doesnt match the theoretical
plot..:(

regards
asad
0
Reply asad.mahmood (61) 5/18/2005 1:11:58 PM

See related articles to this posting

I think you may be entering this coding factor (2/3) twice.
Check the help page titled "Describing the Noise Level of an AWGN
Channel" in the communications toolbox.
(Also check: rate 1/3 coding entered as 2/3?)

asad mahmood wrote:

> hi,
> well this prob anooying me for a long time..hope anyone of you can
> help me......actually im plotting the BER vs EbNo plot for a
> convolutionally coded (k/n) system......am using the simulink
> 'awgn'
> block and wants to know the parameters that need to be put in...im
> putting the parameters as follows
>
> Mode= Signal to Noise ratio (Es/No)
>
> Es/No= Eb_No( the value im inputting from 0-14) +
> 10log10(2/3)(factor iv added because of 1/3 coding)
>
> input signal power= 1
>
> symbol period= (2/3)(factor iv added for 1/3
> coding)*(3.125e-7/100)(my bit period)
>
> the plots i get from these parameters doesnt match the theoretical
> plot..:(
>
> regards
> asad
0
Reply susan.f.fawcett (1) 5/18/2005 2:27:49 PM

hi,
well if i dont enter it ffor twice it gets worse...pulse the factor
2/3 that were talking of is actually 2*1/3 where the 2 comes because
of QPSK modulation.....neways thanks for forwarding me the page but
it doesnt talk of the parammeter 'input signal power'!!
neways tx again

asad

S F wrote:

> I think you may be entering this coding factor (2/3) twice.
> Check the help page titled "Describing the Noise Level of an AWGN
> Channel" in the communications toolbox.
> (Also check: rate 1/3 coding entered as 2/3?)

0
Reply asad.mahmood (61) 5/18/2005 6:38:07 PM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

BER vs Eb/No plots for a coded system
hi, hav anyone of you ever tried to make a BER vs Eb/No grpah for a conv coded system?...in matlab or in simulink....what are the parameters that u chose for the Conv encoder, AWGN channel block and for the 'viterbi decoder'?......and did the plot fit well with the theoretical results? regards asad ...

Ambiguity in Eb/N0 vs BER plot
I want to plot Eb/N0 vs BER bpsk demodulation in Matlab. I am using BPSK modulated signal @ carrier frequencey 8KHz, data rate 1KHz. Sampling rate is set I have tried to use awgn function for adding noise. This signal accepts Signal to noise ratio (SNR)in parameters. In order to convert into Eb/N0 for BPSK signal. I have used following relation SNR = Eb/N0 + 10log(R/B) (This formula i have seen for Base Band signal does it work for band pass as well) R=data rate (1KHz in our case) B= channel width (I have found in some literature that B=sampling rate=96000Hz in our case) Fo...

how to calculate noise vector from Eb/No to plot a EbNo/BER graph (noise generation)
Hi, I'm doing a final project in OFDM simulation and I would like to plot a EbNo/BER graph. For a range of a specified EbNo, I I have to generate a noise added to the signal. I have no idea how I could generate a noise vector from this Eb/No. supose that my signal is x = randint(1,N) some people generate noise vector by 1/sqrt*(randn(N)+jrandn(N)) do I have to multiply this with a constealltion number? or do I have to multiply this with any OFDM process too??? Thank you very much for your reply. I'm a bit stressful right now because I don't have a lot of time to finish it. Than...

BER plot
How can I do a BER plot for a simolation of OFDM PHY that I have the ..m files ? Communications Toolbox - version 3, which is part of Release-14 (Matlab 7), comes with a neat graphical user interface BERTool - it is designed to provide exactly the same capability that you are looking for. Check out this link to learn more about its capabilities: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/comm/ HTH, Chandresh "Lony" <lony.mor-hayim@REMOVETHISorange.co.il> wrote in message news:eedf715.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > How can I do a BER plot for a simolation of OFDM PHY...

Plot y1 versus x and y2 versus x on same graphic
Hi all Suppose I wanted to (I don't actually; a colleague does) plot the trend line for y1 vs X and the trend line for y2 vs X together on the same axes. How would I do so in SPSS? Is it possible just using the gui? (We have a site licence for version 15.0.0. Thanks. P pkald...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi all > > Suppose I wanted to (I don't actually; a colleague does) plot the > trend line for y1 vs X and the trend line for y2 vs X together on the > same axes. > > How would I do so in SPSS? Is it possible just using the gui? (We > h...

Equalizers and BER plots
Can someone provide simple matlab script BER plots for different equalizers. It can just be analysed for BPSK modulation. ...

plot BER,SNR
Transmit in AWGN channel creating 10000 bits' message to do random and confirm BER and draw graph. Length axis : BER width axis: SNR 1 bit Energy of utility is Eb AWGN mean 0, breakup No/2 Between SNR 1 ~ 6 1. When transmit BPSK 2. transmit BPSK after code using Hamming code in(7, 4) 3. transmit by QPSK 4. transmit QPSK after code using extended Hamming code in(8,4) Point message creation and AWGN creation to observe turn program about 4 case at the sun 1 times. Is not doing at all as I am beginner helps please ask please. MP wrote: > > > Transmit in AWGN channel creating...

BER plotting in matlab
Hi, I am trying to simulate a Reed-Solomon coding and decoding simulation over AWGN. My problem is that the line stop every time at SNR 7dB and BER almost 5*10-5 but the target is to reach smaller than 10^-6. I tried to run it for more time but the result is the same if I run it 100 times and 1000 times. Any suggestions? Thanks. Gionos Apostolopoulos wrote: > I am trying to simulate a Reed-Solomon coding and decoding > simulation over AWGN. > My problem is that the line stop every time at SNR 7dB and > BER almost 5*10-5 but the target is to reach smaller than 10^-6. It is diffi...

PLOTS versus POLYLINE
I have admittedly not tinkered around much yet with IDL's snazzy new graphi= cs capabilities (map, text, polygon, etc), but was going to give it a try a= nd convert a fairly simple program to the new format. In my example, a map= is drawn, then various annotations are added, and lots of lines are added = to the map (storm tracks). The tracks are in lat/lon coordinates of course= , but must be treated carefully (I don't want to just throw the entire vect= or of coordinates at it at once). Previously, I accomplished this with PLO= TS (and /CONTINUE), and looped over the points...

Generating BER plots
Hi, I'm looking for a simple and painless method of generating BER plots under Ptolemy II (SDF model). I experimented with the new RunCompositeActor actor but I couldn't effectively record the last reading of the "BER meter" at the end of the iterations. Maybe there is a better way of doing this? Regards, Peter ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu At 09:54 AM 5/28/2...

BER plotting in matlab #2
Hi, I am trying to simulate a Reed-Solomon coding and decoding simulation over AWGN. My problem is that the line stop every time at SNR 7dB and BER almost 5*10-5 but the target is to reach smaller than 10^-6. I tried to run it for more time but the result is the same if I run it 100 times and 1000 times. Any suggestions? Thanks. ...

LineSpec with plot(...) versus line(...)
Hi all, Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a way to specify multiple properties (e.g. Color and LineStyle) for LINE the same way as is done for PLOT? In other words, plot(x,y,'r--') works as expected, but line([x1 x2],[y1 y2],'r--') throws an error and must be expressed as line([x1 x2],[y1 y2],'color','r','linestyle','--'). Not a big deal, obviously, but it's a long-standing minor annoyance. Thanks, -H ...

BER vs SNR plot in simulink
Hi all, Can anyone help me out in plotting the BER Vs SNR in simulink, I am using AWGN, Error Rate calculation. Plz tell me the procedure for doing this. Thnx in advance. Regards Shani If you have the Communications Toolbox then there is a useful utility called bertool for doing this. Type >> which bertool at the MATLAB command prompt to see if you have the tool. If you do then read the doc for how to use it. Phil. Thank you guy.. ...

plotting fourier amplitude versus frequency
Hi, I am trying to extract frequencies from a data set of length versus time. Dataset: time bondlength I am using the following script: data = ReadList["length.dat",{Number,Number}]; plain=N[Transpose[data][[2]]]; f=Fourier[plain]; s=OpenWrite["fourier_tmp.dat"]; WriteString[s,"#"]; Do[Write[s,Abs[f[[i]]]],{i,1,Length[f]}]; Close[s]; !sed 's/*\^/e/g' fourier_tmp.dat > cfourier.dat Quit This gives me an output file cfourier.dat with the fourier amplitude values, but how do I get the corresponding frequencies? Also the first...

help plotting BER vs SNR
Dear All, I have the following AWGN channel model in matlab: The input binary vector is y, the received signal is x=Hy+nu where H is the channel matrix an nu is the additve Gaussian noise nu~N(0,sqrt(N0)). N0 is the noise energy. I have a FIR equalizer: y_tilde=Wx where W is the matrix with the equalizer coefficients and have a threshold detector: y_hat=sign(y_tilde). I have calculated the optimal FIR tap weights, and BER for a given N0. (in my case SNR=1/N0) When I calculated BER, I used: nu=normrnd(0,sqrt(N0),M,1); (I' transmitting M length messages) I have to plot BER vs SNR . I al...

BER vs Eb/No graph in SIMULINK
hi, can anyone pleease tell me how can i calcaulate the BER vs the Eb/No graph in SIMLULINK?? ...

plotting multiple solutions of ODE versus each other
I am using the ODE45 to solve for position of a satelite. I have x,y,and z equations. I plug in my equations adn get a t(time vector) and a position vector for each component. However, since they are different equations, the ode uses different step sizes to solve for each component. Thus, my t vector is different for all the components. HOw can I plot my x,y, and z vectors since they all use a different t? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I cant just plot them against each other b.c they are different sized vectors. ...

Symbol rate versus BER question
We have two digital modulations, both are the same, the only different is the symbol rate. Usually low symbol rate modulation have less BER than high symbol rate modulation. But my question is if in the case of a bad carrier stability, high symbol rate modulation could have less BER than low symbol rate modulation. I think answer is YES, but i am not sure. JAlbertoDJ wrote: > We have two digital modulations, both are the same, the only different is > the symbol rate. > > Usually low symbol rate modulation have less BER than high symbol rate > modulation. But my questi...

help plotting BER vs SNR
Dear All, I have the following AWGN channel model in matlab: The input binary vector is y, the received signal is x=Hy+nu where H is the channel matrix an nu is the additve Gaussian noise nu~N(0,sqrt(N0)). N0 is the noise energy. I have a FIR equalizer: y_tilde=Wx where W is the matrix with the equalizer coefficients and have a threshold detector: y_hat=sign(y_tilde). I have calculated the optimal FIR tap weights, and BER for a given N0. (in my case SNR=1/N0) When I calculated BER, I used: nu=normrnd(0,sqrt(N0),M,1); (I'm transmitting M length messages) I have to plot BER vs SNR . I a...

plot of torque versus speed from simulink
Good day all. Please I model a machine in simulink for dynamic studies, and I want to plot the torque against speed. Please i will appreciate any information. I have obtained torque versus time, but needed torque versus speed hallo, I think that should depend on what kind of machine do you have, take a DC motor for example, the speed is equal to J(moment of inertia) multiple the derivative of the mechanical torque. Yang GAo, The machine in question is an induction machine. I already develop the mathematical model. I now built the simulink model for the dynamic simulation, but simulink wil...

how to plot date versus temperature in matlab?
Hi everyone, i have a set of data of which contains date and temperature for each corresponding date. My x axis would be the dates of 14 consecutive days and y axis the corresponding temperature for that date. Can anyone help me with how to plot this in matlab. I want the graph to look like the graph from this website: http://theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/datweatherarch.aspx. On this website, you state the starting date as 14/05/2009 and the town as london and press plot and it produce a plot of the data. Below is the data: Date Max (C) 14/05/2009 18 15/05/2009 16 16/05/2009 16 17/05/20...

Plotting versus two x axes
Hi folks, I think I am stuck with a classical problem, but I can't find a solution: I have a set of values that I wish to plot versus two different independent variables, so that I wish to have a bottom and top x-axis showing the two independent variables. I tried using "AXIS, XAXIS=1, ..." but I can't get it working. In gnuplot words I'am trying to do something like: plot 'file.dat' u 3:xtic(1), 'file.dat' u 3:x2tic(2). Suggestions? Thanks in advance! DAVIDE LENA writes: > I think I am stuck with a classical problem, but I can't find a > so...

help plotting BER vs SNR in matlab
Dear All, I have the following AWGN channel model in matlab: The input binary vector is y, the received signal is x=Hy+nu where H is the channel matrix an nu is the additve Gaussian noise nu~N(0,sqrt(N0)). N0 is the noise energy. I have a FIR equalizer: y_tilde=Wx where W is the matrix with the equalizer coefficients and have a threshold detector: y_hat=sign(y_tilde). I have calculated the optimal FIR tap weights, and BER for a given N0. (in my case SNR=1/N0) When I calculated BER, I used: nu=normrnd(0,sqrt(N0),M,1); (I'm transmitting M length messages) I have to plot BER vs SNR . I a...

BPSK Demodulation Eb/N0 vs BER
I want to plot Eb/N0 vs BER bpsk demodulation in Matlab. I am using BPSK modulated signal @ carrier frequencey 8KHz, data rate 1KHz. Sampling rate is set I have tried to use awgn function for adding noise. This signal accepts Signal to noise ratio (SNR)in parameters. In order to convert into Eb/N0 for BPSK signal. I have used following relation SNR = Eb/N0 + 10log(R/B) (This formula i have seen for Base Band signal does it work for band pass as well) R=data rate (1KHz in our case) B= channel width (I have found in some literature that B=sampling rate=96000Hz in our case) For Eb...