Econometrics Modeling and Simulation Using Matlab and Stata

The course is a special course in Econometrics Application and Use of Matlab and Stata. The course is equally important to the beginners and advanced learners in Econometrics who want to blend the two packages for experimenting with their modeling and analysis. The main objective of the course is to introduce the theory and application of Econometrics and how to use the powerful math tool, the Matlab and Programming using Stata. Objective of the course is specifically to develop strong academic knowledge in Econometrics, using Econometrics for Analysis, Matlab programming and Stata.

The course is planned in three sections:
12 Weeks/Three Month Long Sessions
Eight Week/Two Months Sessions
Four Weeks/One Month Sessions

Registration starts today: April 07, 2012
Registration ends: May 15, 2012
Course Begins: May 21, 2012

Main contents are:
•	Regression Analysis
•	Utility Functions
•	Regression Diagnostics
•	VAR and Error Correction Models
•	Markov Chain Monte Carlo Models
•	Limited Dependent Variable Models
•	Simultaneous Equation Models

All these topics will be discussed in context of Matlab and Stata

The course fee structure
For Individuals:
•	Default: 500GBP for three months,
•	Can Be Requested: 350 for two months
•	Can Be Requested : 250 for One Month Special

For Groups/Institutions:
•	Default: 1000GBP for Three Months,
•	Can Be Requested : 750 for Two ¬¬¬¬¬Months

Selected topics will be offered during the two and One Month courses, and is optional for Three Month course. Additional topics would also be covered.

MatLab M-files, Stata Codes and do-files, , EBooks, Manuals, Example datasets, EBooks and weekly lecture slides will be provided before commencement of each lecture.

The course will be offered to those who register on http://elearning.aneconomist.com. Registration should be confirmed within weeks, or the system will deleted all those account which have no confirmed payment and enrolment for a course.

MC-CDMA simulation using Matlab
I am simulating MC-CDMA using Matlab. Here is the message Maltab returned when I ran the simulation: Undefined function or method 'snr' for input arguments of type 'char'. Error in ==> MCCDMA at 10 snr _in_ dB = 0:1:15; I am using Matlab 2007b and the Matlab code is: % MCCDMA % % for simulation % %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%% Transmitter Model %%% clear all; clc;close all; tic; % start a stopwatch timer xaxis=[]; yaxis=[]; snr _in_ dB = 0:1:15; R= 100; for n=1:lentgh(snr_in_dB) no_of_errors=0; for m=1:R N=8; %no of subchannels ifft_size=N; %ifft size fft_size=N; %fft size M=100000; % nos of data in each subchannel total_no_of_data= N*M; rand_data_seed=11; % Generation of N parallel dada sequence rand('seed',rand_data_seed); user_data_matrix=rand(N,M); user_data_matrix=(user_data_matrix>0.5)*2-1; % Calling of function for code matrix code_mat=code_matrix(N,'hada_11'); trans_code_mat_out=(conj(code_mat))*user_data_matrix; % IFFT of the code matrix out trans_ifft_out=iff(trans_code_mat_out,ifft_size); % Normalization of IFFT trans_ifft_out_nor=trans_ifft_out* sqrt(N); % Parallel to serial of transmit signal trans_sig_serial=reshape(trans_ifft_out_nor,1,N*M); recv_sig_serial=trans_sig_serial; %%% Receiver Model %%% % Serial to parallel for received signal recv_signal_parallel=reshape(recv...

how to make an fsk modem simulation using matlab???
hi, could anyone help me to get doing my final test? i want to make a simulation of fsk (frequency shift keying modulation)modulation using matlab, but i don't know how??? could anyone help me..... please ? thank you very much ...

What is the best way to import Excel files, with stock data, into Matlab? I’m using Matlab R2010b (64-bit)
What is the best way to import Excel files, with stock data, into Matlab? I’m using Matlab R2010b (64-bit) I’m trying to import historical prices of stock data. Matlab keeps cutting off the header of each column; it gives me only values. I am thinking that this is a data-type-mixing-issue, or whatever it’s called. I have ‘Dates’ in ColumnA, and ‘MSFT’, ‘PWER’, ‘KO’, and ‘SBUX’, in ColumnB-ColumnE. Basically, if I put the Excel file in my Matlab folder and double-click the file, I see the values in a matrix (no dates and no headers), I hit ‘Next’. Then, I see only one option; one radio button is enabled – ‘Create variable matching preview’. The other two options, ‘Create vectors from each column using column names’ and ‘Create vectors from each row using row names’ – both are greyed out. I’ve seen videos, on YouTube and on the Matlab site, where people import excel data and these options are NOT greyed out. No matter what I do, there options are ALWAYS greyed out. The problem is, when I click ‘Finish’ in my ‘Workspace’ I have a variable named ‘data’ all values in a 575x4 matrix, but I have NO DATES and I have NO HEADERS on the columns. All of this seems to go into another variable, called ‘textdata’; all dates and headers ate in textdata. This is VERY inconvenient. I’m trying to analyze some stock data and I have no headers, so I have no idea which stock is which (I can figure it out, but I think Matlab should do this for me). Also, I have no dates corresponding to ...

MC-CDMA AND MC-DS-CDMA SIMULATION USING MATLAB
HELLO EVERYBODY! I'M TRYING TO COMPARE MC-CDMA AND MC-DS-CDMA USING SINGLE USER AND MULTI-USER DETECTION TECHNIQUES IN TERMS OF BIT ERROR RATE AND SPECTRAL EFFICIENCY IN A MOBILE COMMUNICATION USING MATLAB.THAT IS USING DIRECT SEQUENCE SPREAD SPECTRUM(TRANSMITTING THE CHIPS OVER SEVERAL SUB-CARRIERS),PERFORMING THE MULTI-CARRIER MODULATION AND DEMODULATION USING IFFT AND FFT OPERATIONS, SEPARATE THE USERS' SIGNALS IN THE CODE DOMAIN. BY THE WAY, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE THEORETICAL PARTS,CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLS? THANKS IN ADVANCE! BEST REGARDS! BULDO wrote: > HELLO EVERYBODY! > I'M TRYING TO COMPARE MC-CDMA AND MC-DS-CDMA USING SINGLE USER AND > MULTI-USER DETECTION TECHNIQUES ARE YOU A WIDOW OF A FORMER NIGERIAN DICTATOR LOOKING FOR A WIRE TRANSFER OF ONE BILLION DOLLARS? SOMEHOW THEY ALWAYS WRITE MESSAGES IN ALL CAPS. VLV BULDO wrote: > HELLO EVERYBODY! > I'M TRYING TO COMPARE MC-CDMA AND MC-DS-CDMA USING SINGLE USER AND > MULTI-USER DETECTION TECHNIQUES IN TERMS OF BIT ERROR RATE AND > SPECTRAL EFFICIENCY IN A MOBILE COMMUNICATION USING MATLAB.THAT IS > USING DIRECT SEQUENCE SPREAD SPECTRUM(TRANSMITTING THE CHIPS OVER > SEVERAL SUB-CARRIERS),PERFORMING THE MULTI-CARRIER MODULATION AND > DEMODULATION USING IFFT AND FFT OPERATIONS, SEPARATE THE USERS' > SIGNALS IN THE CODE DOMAIN. BY THE WAY, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE > THEORETICAL PARTS,CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLS? > THANKS IN ADVANCE! > BEST REGARDS! Wh...

Shall i use the misrosoft Visual c++ code from a m-file generated from matlab in Visual C++ with out matlab runtime environment
undefined ...

soft decoding of conv. codes using vitdec matlab func. #2
Hello, Isnt 'unquant' and 'soft' options essentially same?..in both case vitdec takes in "real numbers" as input (ok they are "mapped" in case o 'soft' option)..so can we not use 'unquant' option to carry out sof decoding?...my preliminary results show that 'unquant' option give me 2- db gain over hard decoding... any one having insight please let me know. thanks >Hello, > Isnt 'unquant' and 'soft' options essentially same?..in both cases >vitdec takes in "real numbers" as input (ok they are "mapped" in case of >'soft' option)..so can we not use 'unquant' option to carry out soft >decoding?...my preliminary results show that 'unquant' option give m 2-3 >db gain over hard decoding... >any one having insight please let me know. >thanks > > %%% Yes , u can use 'unquant' as soft decoding. try to implement for k=3 i.e [5 7] and BPSK and at roughly 4 dB u should get BER of 10^-3. Chintan ...

Problem in creating the simulation dll using SIT 2.0.3,matlab 7.1,labview 7.1
I am currently using SIT 2.0.3 ,using this toolkit i am trying to create the simulation DLL for labview.but i am getting the following error in matlab command window Error: File: C:\SimulationInterfaceToolkit\ModelInterface\basic.tlc Line: 117 Column: 7Undefined identifier ReleaseVersionError: File: C:\SimulationInterfaceToolkit\ModelInterface\basic.tlc Line: 117 Column: 25The == and != operators can only be used to compare values of the same typeError: File: C:\SimulationInterfaceToolkit\ModelInterface\basic.tlc Line: 260 Column: 26Undefined identifier ReleaseVersionError: File: C:\SimulationInterfaceToolkit\ModelInterface\basic.tlc Line: 260 Column: 44The == and != operators can only be used to compare values of the same type &nbsp; Is this a version problem? I am using Simulation interface toolkit 2.0.3 Matlab 7.1.0.246(R14) Service pack Real time workshop V.6.3 Labview 7.1 Microsoft visual C++ 6.0 &nbsp; Can anybody help me to solve this issue. &nbsp; Hi, Unfortunately, it looks like the versions you are using are indeed not compatible. Here is an excerpt from the <a href="http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib/labview/labview_toolkits/simulation_interface/2.0.3/sit_2_0_3_readme.html" target="_blank">Read Me file</a> for Simulation Interface Toolkit 2.0.3: To use the Simulation Interface Toolkit 2.0.3, you must be a properly licensed user of and have the following software installed on the host computer. - The MathWorks MATLAB ver...

Panel VAR model and Spatial Panel VAR model with Matlab
Hi All of you, Do anyone has the Matlab code for estimating Panel VAR or Spatial Panel VAR model with their impulse response function? In Spatial Econometrics, I have only saw Matlab code for inivariate specification. I am studying monetary area effect of common monetary policy. Many thanks! Dieudonne Jeff ...

Using dgesdd from matlab
We are looking at using dgesdd() , in place of dgesvd() (svd()) to see if things speed up. The matlab manual stills says that svd() uses dgesvd() from lapack, what is the simplest way to use the speed benefit suggested by dgesdd() in the lapack manual. This is on linux, and we have both MKL, ACML and NAG available. I assume we could write a mex wrapper around the call, or can we load the .so file directly into matlab? Similar to and dlopen() ? Brock "Brock " <brockp@umich.edu> wrote in message news:gtafa5$56c$1@fred.mathworks.com... > We are looking at using dgesdd() , in place of dgesvd() (svd()) to see if > things speed up. > > The matlab manual stills says that svd() uses dgesvd() from lapack, what > is the simplest way to use the speed benefit suggested by dgesdd() in the > lapack manual. > > This is on linux, and we have both MKL, ACML and NAG available. I assume > we could write a mex wrapper around the call, or can we load the .so file > directly into matlab? Similar to and dlopen() ? You can't change SVD to use DGESDD, but you could write a MEX-file that calls into LAPACK: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_external/f13120.html#f45091 Before you do that, though, are you just looking for the economy SVD? If so, you can ask for that from SVD by passing in either 0 or 'econ' as the second input argument to SVD: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/r...

using Line in in Matlab
i am trying to make a pressure meter. i am using matlab for it. microphon port is already engaged for microphone based pressure sensor. I have mad a LVDT for sensing the high pressure. I want to connect the output of th LVDT to the line in port of sound card. but I dont know how to access th line in port from matlab. So please help me with the matlab code fo accessing the line in port of my soundcard. thanks. This is Iftee fro BUET, Bangladesh ifteebuet wrote: > i am trying to make a pressure meter. i am using matlab for it. microphone > port is already engaged for microphone based pressure sensor. I have made > a LVDT for sensing the high pressure. I want to connect the output of the > LVDT to the line in port of sound card. but I dont know how to access the > line in port from matlab. So please help me with the matlab code for > accessing the line in port of my soundcard. thanks. You might want to have a look at the data aqcuisition toolbox. You may find the group comp.soft-sys.matlab more useful for questions about matlab. Rune If you have the signal processing toolbox then there is a command called waverecord. Mike "ifteebuet" <ifteebuet@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:K5adnROA_vuv8fHZRVn-pw@giganews.com... >i am trying to make a pressure meter. i am using matlab for it. microphone > port is already engaged for microphone based pressure sensor. I have made > a LVDT for sensing the high pressure. I want to connect the...

DTMF using MATLAB
Can any body help me in writing code of following problem in MATLAB :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::= =AD:::::::::::::::::::::: Design digital oscillators for DTMF frequencies at sample rate of 22500 sp/sec Generate a seven digit DTMF using Digital Oscillators and write it in a wav file haroon.khalil@gmail.com wrote: > Can any body help me in writing code of following problem in MATLAB > :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::�:::::::::::::::::::::: > > Design digital oscillators for DTMF frequencies at sample rate of 22500 > > sp/sec > Generate a seven digit DTMF using Digital Oscillators and write it in a > > wav file > Which part are you having difficulty with ? Paul Fs = 22.5 kHz There are two DTMF frequencies F1 = [L0 L1 L2 L3] % four low frequencies F2 = [H0 H1 H2 H3] % four frequencies ocillator coefficients for example for L0 numerator = 1 denominator = [0.5 -cos(2*pi*L0/Fs) 0.5] When you want to generate you input an impulse, also you need to adjust in order to get the desired amplitude value. An expert here might point out a better way help wavwrite cheers ...

AM demodulation using MATLAB
Hey all, I am having some trouble with AM demodulation using MATLAB. I used the built-in MATLAB function butter to design a low pass filter and using the transfer function obtained, I filtered the modulated signal multiplied by the carrier. Here's the part of my m-file which deals with it: dam=cos(2*pi*250*t).*am; % am=amplitude modulated signal [b,a]=butter(5,250*2*Ts); %designing low pass filter with corner freq 250Hz, Ts-sampling %interval dam(:,1) = filtfilt(b,a,dam(:,1)); % filtering the demodulated signal dam=dam*2; %scaling to get original amplitude back the problem is that I'm trying to filter the signal without using the built in matlab functionality. I tried to multiply the transfer function of filter with the fourier transfer of dam (fft(dam)) to low pass filter it and then took the inverse fft of the answer, but came up with a weird answer when i tried to plot the demodulated signal. could someone tell me what i'm doing wrong when i am trying to filter it? Is there any other way around this without using built-in matlab functions? Thanks a lot in advance. -Farah. <farah727rash@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1156009534.298850.217080@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hey all, > I am having some trouble with AM demodulation using MATLAB. I used the > built-in MATLAB function butter to design a low pass filter and using > the transfer function obtained, I filtered the modulated signal > multiplied by the carrier. Here'...

Need help for a matlab mini project

simulation of vertical handover in matlab
hello every one I am working on the vertical handover between heterogeneous wireless networks. i have implemented the scenario for wifi-wimax in the ns2 2.29. Now i want to simulate Wifi-UMTS scenario in the matlab if anyone know how to start it in matlab.thank you please help me my email id : npkshirsagar@gmail.com On 4/19/2012 5:10 AM, anup kshirsagar wrote: > hello every one I am working on the vertical handover between >heterogeneous wireless networks. i have implemented the scenario >for wifi-wimax in the ns2 2.29. > Now i want to simulate Wifi-UMTS scenario in the matlab if anyone >know how to start it in matlab.thank you > please help me > my email id : npkshirsagar@gmail.com If you implemented it in .m file, then you can start Matlab, and put your m file in the Matlab path, and then from the Matlab console type foo.m where foo.m is your implementation of the vertical handover between heterogeneous wireless networks. If you impelmented it in simulink, then type simulink to start it, and then load you model and run the simulation inside simulink. --Nasser On 4/19/2012 5:24 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote: > the Matlab console type > > foo.m > I mean type foo only, where foo is the function in foo.m > where foo.m is your implementation of the vertical handover between > heterogeneous wireless networks. > > If you impelmented it in simulink, then type simulink to start > it, and then load you model and r...

Using matlab dll in c#
Does anyone now where I can found example code on how to use dll objects (created in Matlab) in .NET Visual C# Jakes Windell wrote: > > > Does anyone now where I can found example code on how to use dll > objects (created in Matlab) in .NET Visual C# <http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/matlabeng.asp> read the part about "access with dll" Below is an example that works for calling a MATLAB Compiler 4.0 (R14) generated DLL from C#... Copy the following code and save it as timestwo.m: function y = timestwo(x) y = 2*x; H=plot(y*[1:10]); waitfor(H); This function multiples the input by two and then displays a line plot. Now execute "mbuild -setup" and select your Microsoft compiler. Generate the shared library by executing: mcc -B csharedlib:libtimestwo timestwo.m Note that, in order to call the generated DLL, the DLL must reside either in the same directory as your executable or in a directory on your system path. For help in how to modify the system path, see: http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-15ZLK.html?1-15ZLK Also, if you move the generated DLL to another directory, be sure to also move the associated CTF-file to the same directory. Open Microsoft Visual Studio .NET. Select File->New->Project. Then select Visual C# Applications in the left pane and Console Application in the right pane. Click OK and some automatically generated code will appear. Replace this code with: using System; using Syst...

How to create a mechanical model in Matlab
Hi, I want to make a geometrical shape in matlab, like a rectangle, square and beam rod and i also want to add them to a make a complete picture comprises of these three shape, So how i can make these thing in matlab. Regards, "Jawwad Ansari" > I want to make a geometrical shape in matlab, like a rectangle, square and beam rod and i also want to add them to a make a complete picture comprises of these three shape, So how i can make these thing in matlab... a hint: http://www.mathworks.com/products/simmechanics/ us ...

MATLAB Simulation of Ship Movements
Hi, I am starting to write a marine simulator which would plot the course of a ship on a map (chart) whilst under the influence of wave, current and wind forces, this would be combined with (simulated) GPS data to provide a dynamic navigation system. Therefore if a ship was moving at a heading of 10deg and the external forces sent it on a heading of 12deg then the GPS data would allow the expert system to compensate. Of course the simulator would calculate speed loss etc. I have all the relevant equations and algorithms sorted I just need to figure out the best way to create a simulation. I have considered writing it in JAVA and MATLAB. The latter seems like a viable option as I can order a mapping toolbox to take care of map screens plus it seems to have a good GUI setup. I am also sure that MATLAB can handle the most complicated coupled differential equations I can throw at it. JAVA on the other hand is my stronger language, but I'm not sure on the process of getting the graphic plotting going, but it seems like an easier method of creating the simulation. In short I would like your opinions on the suitability of using MATLAB for this project, or any other tools that you might consider useful. Regards, Rick Have you investigated Ship Sim? http://www.h-scientific.co.uk/shipsim1-text.htm On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:53:57 -0500, "Rick" <rick@nospam.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I am starting to write a marine simulator which would pl...

Error while using matlab compiler
Hello, I have the R2011a MATlab release, and while converting my code to a stand alone application using mcc, I get the following warnings: Warning: an error occurred while parsing class uimgr.uiexplorer: Undefined function or method 'findclass' for input arguments of type 'double'. In C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2011a\toolbox\shared\spcuilib\@uimgr\@uiitem\schema.p>schema at 138 In C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2011a\toolbox\shared\spcuilib\@uimgr\@uimenu\schema.p>schema at 12 Warning: an error occurred while parsing class uimgr.uiitem: Invalid data type. > In C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2011a\toolbox\shared\spcuilib\@uimgr\@uimenu\schema.p>schema at 12 Warning: an error occurred while parsing class uimgr.uimenu: Invalid superclass handle. My code does not take inputs, but it does call .m files as functions - which shouldn't be a problem because the gui of matlab compiler is quite simple, all I did was add the main calling file in the main file section and the called functions in the shared resources/helper files section. What is the reason behind this error? the compiler successfully builds a .exe file but I don't get my output while running the application. My code uses the following toolboxes: Computer vision toolbox Neural network toolbox I would be grateful if someone could help me out! regards, Rakshit P.S - My program also calls saved variables in .mat files using the load function! Also could someone give me a link to ...

Help: Optimization using Matlab
Hello all, I need to find the optimal value of x for the function (1- x^2/2R^2)^(1/x) in terms of R. Could someone please help, how I could do it in Matlab? Thanks a million, --Johnson fminsearch or fminbnd User10 wrote: > > > Hello all, > > I need to find the optimal value of x for the function (1- > x^2/2R^2)^(1/x) > in terms of R. > Could someone please help, how I could do it in Matlab? > > Thanks a million, > --Johnson > > > ...

Fading channel simulator in matlab
Hello, Can anyone point me to a free fading channel generator in Matlab? I am primarily interested in Rician fading for a radio channel with a moving source and fixed receiver. I am aware of the tools provided by the Communications Blockset, but I don't have that package and want to survey what else is available before buying. Thanks, John ...

Alignment of 3D model with Matlab
Hallo evrybody, I have two VRML file (3d colored point cloud) and I want to align these models. i don't if there are an easy way to ensure this alignment with Matlab. Thx for your reply ...

Web resources about - Econometrics Modeling and Simulation Using Matlab and Stata - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Econometrics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The basic tool for econometrics is the linear regression model . In modern econometrics, other statistical tools are frequently used, but linear ...

Econometrics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Econometrics is the unification of economics, mathematics, and statistics. This unification produces more than the sum of its parts. The basic ...

Economics 421/521 - Econometrics - Winter 2011 - Lecture 17 (HD) - YouTube
Economics 421/521 - Econometrics - Winter 2011 - Lecture 17 (HD)

econometrics - The Baseline Scenario
Posts about econometrics written by James Kwak

More on Minimum Wages, Income Distribution, Value Judgments – and the Limitations of Econometrics
(Don Boudreaux) Tweet Here’s a follow-up to yesterday’s post (written immediately after I finished writing yesterday’s post, but not posted ...

Romney in 2006 Credits Jonathan Gruber for Econometric Model for RomneyCare
Romney Praised Gruber For Spending ‘Hours' on Massachusetts Gov't Health Care Law � See More at:�http://cnsnews.com/news/article/penny-starr ...

Faith and Econometrics: Minimum Wage Edition
When you look at the research, the elasticities of employment of young people with respect to the minimum wage are typically between -0.1 to ...

Econometrics News, Video and Gossip - Gawker
Unemployed Americans Nobly Take it Upon Themselves to Not Starve. Major Crisis: 23-Year-Old College Grads Are Working Shitty Jobs. From Now On, ...

Econometrics Beat: Dave Giles' Blog: Granger Causality
It's interesting, to me, that the posts on this blog that have received (and continue to receive) the most hits are those relating to Granger ...

Ed Crego, George Muñoz and Frank Islam: Renew America: It's the Econometrics, Stupid!
We need to realize that it's the econometrics, stupid. If we do not, we will continue to develop, promote and implement policies, plans and programs ...