Figures and GUI control slower in Windows 7 than in Windows Xp

Hello everyon,

I have Matlab 2010a installed under the windows 7 environment. I wrote recently a small MATLAB GUI program. It works very well. But one thing I noticed is that generally the GUI control and GUI reaction, like pressing a button to invoke some changes within the GUI, are remarkably slower than running in Windows Xp on another notebook I have. Both computers' hardware performance are similar and I don't think this the reason is why the same program works so differently.

Also I have a problem, If I call the function "figure" to create a new figure, the figure window shows, but nothing in there except only a "white screen", then it takes about a half second until the axes comes out with ticks and label. Does anyone know how can I avoid this? Perhaps something is wrong in my installed java runtime environment (JRE).

I am not sure whether both issues are related with each other. But perhaps ...

Many thanks for your help and advices :)

Ss
0
SSOI

On 30/08/10 5:04 AM, SSOI SS wrote:

> I have Matlab 2010a installed under the windows 7 environment. I wrote
> recently a small MATLAB GUI program. It works very well. But one thing I
> noticed is that generally the GUI control and GUI reaction, like
> pressing a button to invoke some changes within the GUI, are remarkably
> slower than running in Windows Xp on another notebook I have. Both
> computers' hardware performance are similar and I don't think this the
> reason is why the same program works so differently.

Due both systems have the same release?

We had posted several reports of 2010a GUI performance being slower on
Windows 7.

If you have not done so already, turn off the Windows 7 'Aero' feature.
0
Walter
8/30/2010 3:13:03 PM
Hello, I use Matlab 2010a in Win7 and Matlab 2007a on Xp.

I am somehow confused why the newer release such performance has. Does this have something to do with my jre? Could a update in jre lead to a performance raise?

I'll try your tip turning off ''Aero''. Thanks

"SSOI SS" <wonderful.song@googlemail.com> wrote in message <i5fvmk$e2c$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hello everyon,
>
> I have Matlab 2010a installed under the windows 7 environment. I wrote recently a small MATLAB GUI program. It works very well. But one thing I noticed is that generally the GUI control and GUI reaction, like pressing a button to invoke some changes within the GUI, are remarkably slower than running in Windows Xp on another notebook I have. Both computers' hardware performance are similar and I don't think this the reason is why the same program works so differently.
>
> Also I have a problem, If I call the function "figure" to create a new figure, the figure window shows, but nothing in there except only a "white screen", then it takes about a half second until the axes comes out with ticks and label. Does anyone know how can I avoid this? Perhaps something is wrong in my installed java runtime environment (JRE).
>
> I am not sure whether both issues are related with each other. But perhaps ...
>
> Many thanks for your help and advices :)
>
> Ss
0
SSOI
8/30/2010 7:41:19 PM
On 10-08-30 02:41 PM, SSOI SS wrote:
> Hello, I use Matlab 2010a in Win7 and Matlab 2007a on Xp.
> I am somehow confused why the newer release such performance has. Does
> this have something to do with my jre? Could a update in jre lead to a
> performance raise?

A change to JRE can potentially speed up some things and slow down other
things; it is difficult to predict.

If I recall correctly, some of the GUI run-time performance issues in 2010a
were said to be related to JRE -- that is, that the newer JRE turned out to be
slower for some important things.
0
Walter
8/30/2010 8:58:28 PM
Hi Walter,

I turned off Aero feature in my Win 7 and then tried my GUI again. The slower GUI control is still there and works slower than in my Xp computer.

Also I can remember as I installed the newer Matlab, there was a problem with "choose directory". Every time I clicked this button in the dialogue window, Matlab got a crash. I goolged a while, it is said that java runtime machine should have some problems in some versions, including open directory.

Walter Roberson <roberson@hushmail.com> wrote in message <i5h644$8iv$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>...
> On 10-08-30 02:41 PM, SSOI SS wrote:
> > Hello, I use Matlab 2010a in Win7 and Matlab 2007a on Xp.
> > I am somehow confused why the newer release such performance has. Does
> > this have something to do with my jre? Could a update in jre lead to a
> > performance raise?
>
> A change to JRE can potentially speed up some things and slow down other
> things; it is difficult to predict.
>
> If I recall correctly, some of the GUI run-time performance issues in 2010a
> were said to be related to JRE -- that is, that the newer JRE turned out to be
> slower for some important things.
0
SSOI
8/31/2010 7:11:05 AM
On 31/08/10 2:11 AM, SSOI SS wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> I turned off Aero feature in my Win 7 and then tried my GUI again. The
> slower GUI control is still there and works slower than in my Xp computer.
> Also I can remember as I installed the newer Matlab, there was a problem
> with "choose directory". Every time I clicked this button in the
> dialogue window, Matlab got a crash. I goolged a while, it is said that
> java runtime machine should have some problems in some versions,
> including open directory.

Sorry, I've never used Matlab on an MS Windows PC.
0
Walter