files shadowing themselves/ case of directories?

Today Matlab is doing something odd. When I try to set a breakpoint
in the m-file test_fcn.m in my current directory Users/jay/Matlab, I
get the error:

MATLAB cannot run this file because /Users/jay/matlab/test_fcn.m
showdows it in the current working directory. To set breakpoints in
this file, you must change the MATLAB directory. [With buttons:]
Cancel, Change Directory, Help

Note that the "matlab" directory is in lowercase in the error
message, but it is actually "Matlab." It is written in lowercase as
my current directory as well. When I attempt to change it to
"Matlab", it does so but continues to write it in lowercase.

Any suggestions?
0
bartroff (2)
2/21/2007 7:19:44 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 206917 articles. 560 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

Does Clicking Change Directory Fix The Problem?

if so, you need to set the current directory in matlab to your
directory ('current directory' is set at the top of the main matlab
window), or at least ensure that your directory is in the matlab PATH
above '...2006b/work'.

If there is still a problem,

type:

which filename.m

which will show you the directory that this file is running from.
You have two test_fcn.m files.  Search your hard drive and you'll find
two of them somewhere.  One is in your search path somewhere, and the
other is the file that you have open.  You likely had this file open
in the editor and then changed directories, so that now the current
directory is not the directory where this file lives.  It is saying
that there is another one in a folder in your search path that has the
same name as the one you now have open in the editor.  It's basically
asking you if you want to use the one you have open in the editor
(instead of the other one) and if so, you need to change the current
directory to the directory where the one open in the editor lives.  I
always tell it to change directory and it works fine.  One good thing
is that it alerts you to the fact that there are two of these hanging
around.  If that's not what you expected, then you'd better find out
why you have two versions of it in two different folders.
Regards,
ImageAnalyst

On Feb 21, 2:19 pm, "Jay Bartroff" <bartr...@ucr.edu> wrote:
> Today Matlab is doing something odd. When I try to set a breakpoint
> in the m-file test_fcn.m in my current directory Users/jay/Matlab, I
> get the error:
>
> MATLAB cannot run this file because /Users/jay/matlab/test_fcn.m
> showdows it in the current working directory. To set breakpoints in
> this file, you must change the MATLAB directory. [With buttons:]
> Cancel, Change Directory, Help
>
> Note that the "matlab" directory is in lowercase in the error
> message, but it is actually "Matlab." It is written in lowercase as
> my current directory as well. When I attempt to change it to
> "Matlab", it does so but continues to write it in lowercase.
>
> Any suggestions?

0
imageanalyst (7623)

update file in a flash file
Hi, Have some Solaris 9 flash files which work good. But need to change (update) some config within. How can I do this please? TIA Anton anton_axel@yahoo.co.uk writes: > Have some Solaris 9 flash files which work good. > But need to change (update) some config within. mkdir /var/tmp/flar flar -s -fd /var/tmp/flar s9.flar vi /var/tmp/flar/archive/etc/... flar -c -d /var/tmp/flar s9-new.flar Markus ...

How to copy non-ASCII file to clipboard (e.g. Image file)
Hi, Is there any way that I can copy image file contents to clipboard from command line in Linux? I'm using a command line based screenshot program (scrot) but the output from this command is put in file. I need to have a command to further copy the snapped image file into clipboard, and encapsulate this all into simple push button. Any idea about how to use this? Thanks in advance, Ahmad On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:14:50 -0400, A_Omara <ahmad.abdulghany@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there any way that I can copy image file contents to clipboard from > command line in L...

Problem with "Skip file types" in "Find Files".
I would like to search for text files based on some texts. And I want to exclude svn file (i.e. *.svn-base). So I add the extension .svn-base in "Skip file types" and expect Matlab "Find Files" GUI to skip the svn files. However, "Find Files" still returns the svn file. I think "Find Files" has problem with this kind of filename, eg. "abc.c.svn-base". Is it treating "c.svn-base" as extension? However, I try out the Matlab function FILEPARTS and it works fine. >> [pathstr, name, ext, versn] = fileparts('abc.c.svn-base') ...

Reading a directory
If I use OS_GBPB to read entries from a directory, are those entries always returned in the same order? What order is this? Is it random, or the order in which the files were defined, or does it depend on when they were last written to, or is it in name order? If the order is non-random, do different FSs use the same method? Is this the normal way to read directories, or are there other ways, (eg doing a info or fileinfo and routeing output to pipefs and reading that?) -- Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own. In message <4c4039bc68Jeremy@omba.demon.co.uk> Jeremy C...

File.puts or File.write ?
For general purpose file writing, does it matter whether puts or write is used? From the docs, it seems like puts should be used for strings, while write can be used for anything. I'm not really sure what difference there is between the two, but the docs say something about puts adding newlines or something. Thanks, Joe -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Joe Ruby MUDCRAP-CE wrote: > For general purpose file writing, does it matter whether puts or write > is used? From the docs, it seems like puts should be used for strings, > while write can be used for anything....

varied output for df and du on the same file system
Greetings, When I run df -h /var , it displays the disk usage as $ df -h /var/ Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda9 4.8G 3.3G 1.3G 73% /var But when I run the du -sh for the same file system , the result varies . du -sh /var/ 3.2G /var/ What is the reason for the difference in results ....... With Thanks in Advance bzaman wrote: > Greetings, > > When I run df -h /var , it displays the disk usag...

File Upload (struts) IllegalArgumentException
Hi I have this code in my jsp page: <html:form action="FileUpload.do"> <html:file property="uploadFilename" /> <html:submit /> </html:form> ....and it works. The code in my action class gets executed. But if I add the encode type property like this: <html:form action="FileUpload.do" enctype="multipart/form-data"> <html:file property="uploadFilename" /> <html:submit /> </html:form> ....then the code in my action class is not executed. Instead I get this error: 500 Internal...

Cannot create a new file
Hi, Before posting I made sure I upgraded from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4, but the problem is still here. Ive created a little script which, at the end of it, deals with copying two files. All the script works fine except when its at the copy line(s). Nothing gets copied, it crashes at the first open() line. Before using open() I made it the lazy way first and wrote system("cp "+file1+" "+file2), but gaves me that message: IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/bilange/.hnb-backup/1087861694' I then thought python didnt like file handling external comman...

[Help] Finding Files on a PDA SD Card
Is there any PDA application which will locate file on a SD card through a "global" find command, thereby searching all subdirectories off the root of the card? I had initially thought that McFile would do this. It does not. The problem I am trying to resolve is to find a way to quickly establish the eBooks that I have on my Palm. I have several eBook readers. They seem to put the books all over the card without terribly much rhyme or reason that I am able to discern. If I have books x, y, and z on the card and MobiPocket can read book y, but not book x and iSilo can r...

A free utility for direct copy of Tandem files into Ms Sql, Ms Excel and flat text files
It's an 'Ftp-like' command line utility. You can copy Tandem Enscribe Files and Sql Tables into MS Sql server tables, MS Excel files or flat text files. Filter can be applied on rows and columns, both for Enscribe Files and Sql tables. It's free. Downloadable from http://free.x3.hu/peak-tibor/ Tibor PE�K ...

backup exec not backing up nsf files
Hi all Running windows2000 backupexec9 and domino 5.06a , have problem in that backupexec will not backup any nsf files !! , as a test i renamed the nsf files to .ft file extensions and it backed up ok .. anyone seen this problem ?? any solutions ?? With BackupExec you need additional Tools to back up open files, since the Diomino server is using all the .nsf files. Renaming will indeed solve it, since the DOmino server will release the file then.. Look for dedicated Domino backup tools.Your BackupExec supplier must also have some agents special for Domino. Note: Most of ...

Other half of 'CGI file upload'
For sake of completeness, this is the CGI script used for testing the 'post file to CGI script' script I posted earlier. It will put the content of the 'data' parameter into the file /tmp/out. ------------ #!/usr/bin/perl # use CGI; $cgi = CGI->new(); open($fh, '>', '/tmp/out'); print $fh ($cgi->param('data')); print("Content-Type: text/plain\n\nOk\n"); Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat@mssgmbh.com> writes: [...] > open($fh, '>', '/tmp/out'); Additional warning: This must not be used on a system with untrus...

save .mat file
Hello: I am trying to save a matrix as .mat file like that: save('myfile.mat','matrix','-mat'); It creates in Matlab work folder file myfile without extension(.mat). The type of this file is Microsoft Office Access Table Shortcut. What is wrong? How to fix the problem? Thanks, GB GB wrote: > > > Hello: > I am trying to save a matrix as .mat file like that: > save('myfile.mat','matrix','-mat'); > It creates in Matlab work folder file myfile without > extension(.mat). > The type of this file is Microsoft Office Access Ta...

What types of PC files can I read on a Mac?
I have, on my old PC, several folders of files which are a variety of types, including HTML documents, MHTML documents (archive web pages), saved e-mails (.eml documents), and text documents (.txt). Is it possible for me to transfer and read these folders on a Mac (which I'm considering buying)? Do I have to change them to a different type of file before they're compatible? I need to be able to use these folders on a Mac. Thanks for your help. Amphorae wrote: > > I have, on my old PC, several folders of files which are a variety of types, > including HTML documents, MHT...

Compressing files
I am in need of some highly efficient compressing algorithm. I am having this problem, where in I need to deflate a tar image (tar-1) to load a image onto my Chassis. Now, because of some other tar files(tar-2) being there, I am running out of the required space. Yes, ofcourse the easy solution of removing those tar files(tar-2) is not possible. So is there some way the other tar ball(tar-2) can be compressed further, so that I can get more free disk space fr uncompressing tar-1. To put it straight, is there some way to compress tar files even further. The tar file is already has .gz files i...

FW: Splitting Files
Found out that the application the 'split' files were destined for has a hidden (undocumented) switch that when enabled does an internal split.=20 Thanks to all those who replied to this (have keep all your ideas on file in-case I'm in need of it somewhere else). regards,=20 =20 Robert W.Mills=20 MIS Systems Development Manager=20 Windsong Services=20 +44 (0)20 8309 3604=20 -----Original Message----- From: Robert Mills=20 Sent: 31 May 2006 12:04 To: 3000-L Mail List (hp3000-l@raven.utc.edu) Subject: Splitting Files Greetings to the -L, Have a file, with...

Extracting file permissions
Given a file's path, is there a UNIX command that will return just the access permissions for that file? I'm aware this can be done using multiple commands but I'm hoping to avoid resorting to them. I've been through every book on my shelf and have found nothing that can accomplish this. -- Use ROT-13 on the email address for email replies John Stewart wrote: > Given a file's path, is there a UNIX command that will return just the > access permissions for that file? ls -l path-to-file -- Ronald Florence ron.18james.com In article <BgLtd.829$3q.576@la...

MBO file extension revisited
In 2005 I received an email which included an attachment with the extension MBO. I could not open it but with the help from this Group I was able to do so. I have now received another such email but this MBO file contains text and at least one photograph taken with the camera in a mobile phone. I can read the text but cannot see the picture. Can anyone help me please. Thanks for any help. David, -- David Gamble d dot gamble at freeuk dot com In message <8fd69bf74e.d.gamble@d.gamble.freeuk.com> David Gamble <d.gamble@freeuk.com> wrote: > In 2005 I received an ...

Re: ERROR: Permanent copy of file WORK.ZFMMEM.UTILITY was deleted.
Always search support.sas.com for uncommon error message: http://support.sas.com/techsup/unotes/SN/018/018679.html On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 18:03:22 -1000, Hassan Eini Zinab <hassan.eini@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Alohas Folks, > >Sometimes when I initiate SAS or run some programs there is such an >ERROR message in the log: > >*"ERROR: Permanent copy of file WORK.ZFMMEM.UTILITY was deleted."* > >What does that mean? How to debug that? > >Mahalo, >Hassan ...

Executable file inside a jar file!!
Hi, I have an exe file (start.exe) and more dll files packed in a jar file. The exe file needs the dll's. How do i make running the exe file, without unpacking( extracting/unziping) the jar file? Does anybody have a clue? ...

How do you execute a JAR file?
I'm sorry this is so basic, but I honestly do not know how to do this nor can I find anything online here or anywhere via Google to help me with this one. I have a JAR file that I created on another machine using JDK 1.6.0 and NetBeans 5.5 on WinXP. I copied and pasted that JAR file over to my machine at home also using JDK 1.6.0 and NetBeans 5.5 on WinXP I put the exact directory name where the JAR file resides, "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\classes", in CLASSPATH and rebooted my machine. However, upon CD'*** to that directory and doing "java -classpath . GU...

How-To for writing help files?
Is there a tutorial for writing help files for new Scilab functions and getting them to show up? Thanks. -- http://www.wescottdesign.com Hello, The first info I found related to help pages are here: http://wiki.scilab.org/howto/scilab_documentation_kit I use the XXE tool to write the xml documentation. Then, for the functions to call to build the doc, I found a good skeleton in c:\Program Files\scilab-xxxx\contrib\toolbox_skeleton YC ...

Standard icon files
Does anyone know where the standard file icons are (the piece of paper that's used for any document without a type)? I'd like to modify that icon so that it looks more mac-like than if I build one myself. -- XML is a prime example of retarded innovation. -- Erik Meijer and Peter Drayton, Microsoft Corporation Ulrich Hobelmann <u.hobelmann@web.de> writes: > Does anyone know where the standard file icons are (the piece of paper > that's used for any document without a type)? > > I'd like to modify that icon so that it looks more mac-like th...

Converting files from ebcdic to ascii
I am trying to convert a file from ebcdic-format to ascii-format. %let lib = utv; filename ebcdic 'd:\test\bad_files\ebcdic_file.dat'; filename ascii 'd:\test\bad_files\ascii_file.dat'; *The datastep below shows how the ascii-file looks. This file has been converted to edcdic by means of a program. I want to be able to do this convertation by using SAS-code.; data _null_; file ascii; put 'Alfred M 14 69 113'; put 'Alice F 13 57 84'; put 'Barbara F 13 65 98'; put 'Carol F 14 63 103'...

restructure a file
Dear All, This is my first time in the newsgroup, so everyone forgive me in advance for being a newbie. Also: this may be a problem that everyone knows how to fix, but I'm having a lot of worries trying to figure it out. I've a file in access with 1. records that have a unique identifier (one per school), and several fields with fixed data, but have a varying number of test data, for example, one caseid might have valid data for only one subgroup, on four categories, but another school might have valid data for nine subgroups on all four categories. A last category tell...