files shadowing themselves/ case of directories?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Today Matlab is doing something odd. When I try to set a breakpoint
in the m-file test_fcn.m in my current directory Users/jay/Matlab, I
get the error:

MATLAB cannot run this file because /Users/jay/matlab/test_fcn.m
showdows it in the current working directory. To set breakpoints in
this file, you must change the MATLAB directory. [With buttons:]
Cancel, Change Directory, Help

Note that the "matlab" directory is in lowercase in the error
message, but it is actually "Matlab." It is written in lowercase as
my current directory as well. When I attempt to change it to
"Matlab", it does so but continues to write it in lowercase.

Any suggestions?
0
Reply bartroff (2) 2/21/2007 7:19:44 PM

See related articles to this posting

Does Clicking Change Directory Fix The Problem?

if so, you need to set the current directory in matlab to your
directory ('current directory' is set at the top of the main matlab
window), or at least ensure that your directory is in the matlab PATH
above '...2006b/work'.

If there is still a problem,

type:

which filename.m

which will show you the directory that this file is running from.
0
Reply justin.bourke (56) 2/27/2007 5:46:56 AM

You have two test_fcn.m files.  Search your hard drive and you'll find
two of them somewhere.  One is in your search path somewhere, and the
other is the file that you have open.  You likely had this file open
in the editor and then changed directories, so that now the current
directory is not the directory where this file lives.  It is saying
that there is another one in a folder in your search path that has the
same name as the one you now have open in the editor.  It's basically
asking you if you want to use the one you have open in the editor
(instead of the other one) and if so, you need to change the current
directory to the directory where the one open in the editor lives.  I
always tell it to change directory and it works fine.  One good thing
is that it alerts you to the fact that there are two of these hanging
around.  If that's not what you expected, then you'd better find out
why you have two versions of it in two different folders.
Regards,
ImageAnalyst

On Feb 21, 2:19 pm, "Jay Bartroff" <bartr...@ucr.edu> wrote:
> Today Matlab is doing something odd. When I try to set a breakpoint
> in the m-file test_fcn.m in my current directory Users/jay/Matlab, I
> get the error:
>
> MATLAB cannot run this file because /Users/jay/matlab/test_fcn.m
> showdows it in the current working directory. To set breakpoints in
> this file, you must change the MATLAB directory. [With buttons:]
> Cancel, Change Directory, Help
>
> Note that the "matlab" directory is in lowercase in the error
> message, but it is actually "Matlab." It is written in lowercase as
> my current directory as well. When I attempt to change it to
> "Matlab", it does so but continues to write it in lowercase.
>
> Any suggestions?

0
Reply imageanalyst (7622) 2/27/2007 4:53:14 PM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

rename all the file names in a directory so that the first character of each file name is lower case
How to rename all the file names in a directory so that the first character of each file name is lower case in the bash shell? e.g. old file names are: Certificates General Util.dsp new file names become: certificates general util.dsp On 2008-09-07, TsanChung wrote: > How to rename all the file names in a directory so that the first > character of each file name is lower case in the bash shell? > e.g. > old file names are: > Certificates > General > Util.dsp > > new file names become: > certificates > general > util.dsp _lwr() { _LWR= case $1 in ...

How to compare the file+folder names of two directory trees for upper/lower case changes?
The problem of many so called "synchronization" tools is that they simply backup a directory tree from one source to a target.Almost all of them do NOT detect changes in upper/lower case of file or folder names. So assume I have two absolute equal directory trees beginning with D:\myprojects\* and W:\backup\myprojects\v2009\* Now I change some chars in a folder name in the source from lower to upper case resp. vice versa e.g. D:\myprojects\l1b\versionAA12\* to D:\myprojects\lib\Versionaa12\* This change is NOT detected by standard sync/backup programs. The folde...

files, directories, files, directories
Hi folks, I've been trying to make a decision and it's driving me crazy. Is a directory a file or is a directory NOT a file but a node? Should I have A) public interface IFile { IFileName FileName; IContent GetContent(); } public interface IDirectory extends IFile { } or B) public interface INode { INodeName NodeName; } public interface IFile extends INode { IContent GetContent(); } public interface IDirectory extends INode { } Method A is nice cause IFile becomes the base "Node" type and you can use names like "IFileName" which sound...

check file exists with case sensitive on a case insensitive file system
been a while i coded in perl... how to check if a file exists with case sensitiveness on os x? a quick google search says call system ls & grep. That seems too slow. I have some over 10 thousand files to check. Xah =E2=88=91 http://xahlee.org/ =E2=98=84 >>>>> "XL" == Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes: XL> been a while i coded in perl... XL> how to check if a file exists with case sensitiveness on os x? XL> a quick google search says call system ls & grep. That seems too slow. XL> I have some over 10 thousand files to check. s...

Q: M-file which returns file info from directories *and* sub-directories
Hi, Has anyone taken the time to craft an M-file which returns a structure much like the command 'dir', but recurses sub-directories as well? I came across the file 'processdir.m' at MATLAB central, but it only displays the files on-screen, it doesn't return anything... -Mark "Cueball" <mark.bray@vanderbilt.edu> wrote in message news:qi7bu0ddhobcado6rbvupg0dmdrged50jd@4ax.com... > Hi, > > Has anyone taken the time to craft an M-file which returns a structure much like the command 'dir', but recurses sub-directories as well? > > I ...

Copying files from sub folders under source directories into sub folders with same names as source directory sub folders in destination directories without overwriting already existing files of same n
Hi, Consider /src/alias/a.c /src/alias/b.c /src/xml/p.xml /src/xml/c.xml /src/h.c as source directory=20 and=20 /dest/alias /dest/xml /dest as destination directory. These are given in a csv file like /src/alias/a.c, /dest/alias /src/alias/b.c, /dest/alias /src/xml/p.xml, /dest/xml /src/xml/c.xml, /dest/xml /src/h.c, /dest Python code should read csv file. Copy files from source to destination(fil= es in /src/alias should be copied to /dest/alias and not to /dest/xml i.e.,= directory names should be the same). If /dest contains same files as /src,= then they code shoul...

Script to move files with one occurence of a string to one directory, and other files to another directory?
I could use a script for the bash shell to look through a group of files (s= elected from one directory by a wildcard expression) and move any of those = files with exactly one occurrence of the string Path: to a different direct= ory, usually a subdirectory of the first directory. The rest of the files = selected by the wildcard expression are move to a third directory, also usu= ally a subdirectory of the first directory. I'm currently doing this manua= lly, but with grep commands to count the number of occurrences. NOT homework - I'm retired. Actually using Cygwin (an em...

FTP failes to transfer file to target directory; 0 byte file left in source directory
problem is as stated in the file - the file does not appear in the target directory after the running of the FTP script. any assistance is appreciated. Leads and follow up questions: #1) can the source host be the same as the target host? (I have tried the same and a different taget host) #2) from the FTP log: Starting FTP run ################################################################# Thursday June 22 14:10:31 EDT 2006 Connected to tomxg00. 220 [hostname] FTP server (Authorized uses only. All activity may be monitored and reported.) ready. 331 Password required for [username]. 230 ...

tar file with . files and . directories
hi i want to create a tar file with all my . files and . directories in my home directory. i cannot create a tar file without having all my files in it is there a way to create such a tar file? thanx in advance cu hausi On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:00:47 +0000, Hannes wrote: > hi > > i want to create a tar file with all my . files and . directories in my > home directory. > > i cannot create a tar file without having all my files in it is there a > way to create such a tar file? > Not very clear what you want to do. If you don't want some files to be archived, use...

Getting all directories/files from current directory and using -d flag for the directories
Hi guys/gals, I'm pretty new to Perl, so please keep that in mind. :) It looks like File::Find goes through all the subdirectories of the current directory, which isn't what I want. I just want all the contents of the current directory. On doing some research, many people have recommended doing something like the following: ----------- $home_dir = ''; #changed to protect the innocent :) opendir(DIR,$home_dir) or die "Can't open the current directory: $home_dir $!\n"; # read file/directory names in that directory into @names @names = readdir(DIR) or die "...

Delete empty files in the current directory but not the ones in the sub-directories of current directory.
Hi all, I want to delete empty files in the current directory but not the ones in the sub-directories of current directory. Any hints? Regards. -- ..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :. Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes: > I want to delete empty files in the current directory but not the ones > in the sub-directories of current directory. Any hints? As usual, ‘find(1)’ is your friend. Read about the ‘-maxdepth’ and ‘-size’ options. -- \ “People come up to me and say, ‘Emo, do people really come up | `\ ...

How to check if file is a regular file (not directory)?
I'm unsure how to check if a filename is regular file (and not a directory, for example). I mean similar check that Unix command "test -f" does. Currently I'm using this: (defun file-exists-and-is-regular-file-p (path) "Return t if file exists and is a regular file. Return nil otherwise." (and (probe-file path) (pathname-name (truename path)) t)) But it can only tell files from directories. Actually this is sufficient for me now but I wonder if there are better ways (?). Teemu Likonen wrote: > I'm...

MySQL file in the same directory with php files
Is it possible without changing default directory in config files? This is for an offline project. Thanks. Mikhail Kovalev <mikhail_kovalev@mail.ru> wrote in news:870b74db-8fd1-48e3- a353-67f7ab270197@w34g2000hsg.googlegroups.com: > Is it possible without changing default directory in config files? > This is for an offline project. > > Thanks. > What exactly is a MySQL file? I'm not sure it's clear what you want to do... On 6 Des, 19:40, Good Man <he...@letsgo.com> wrote: > Mikhail Kovalev <mikhail_kova...@mail.ru> wrote in news:870b74db-8fd...

input file-multi file, directory

File Upload
I'm writing a script to upload images along with articles to a directory on the server. I'm developing it offline on my WinXP and Apache 1.3.x laptop and it's working great, but when I move the script to the server, I get write errors when the file attempts to upload. So I set up a test script (included below) to test the directory structures all the way up to the file, and every directory appears to be writable, yet I can't write to the test file. I keep seeing suggestions to set the open_basedir directive in the php.ini file to solve this, but it's hasn't worked ye...

comparing file sizes from files in a directory
Hello all! I need some help with this function I was trying to make but came up futile in. Basically I have this folder called 'original' and another one called 'new'. In these folders there are .NIF files. Both folders have the same subdirectory folder and file structure. So if there is an "original/black/dot.nif" then there will be a "new/black/dot.nif". The only difference between the two dot.nif files are that they may not be the same file size. I'm trying to create a function that will compare the dot.nif from the original folder with the dot.nif f...

Finding directory file of current directory
Ok, I know how to use F$ENVIRONMENT and F$PARSE to get the current directory specification of where a command procedure lives. I know I can use SET DIR dev:[dir.dir.dir]/OWNER=new_owner But SET DIR doesn't support /PROT and SET SECURITY doesn't seem to support directory specifications. Is there a magic incantation that would allow me to set the protection on the directory file of the current working directory (eg: the .DIR file one level above) ? Breaking the directory specification apart to build a file name seems more involved, especially if you need to support both: CAKE:[choc...

Delete a directory with all sub-directories an files
Hi. I would like to delete a directory. In this directory are other directories an files. So I have to delete this subdirectories an files at first. Now I search a good solution to solve this problem. My first idea was to look in the given directory and if there are subdirectories to look in this directories... Is this the right way? Is there a ready function for this little problem? Or has anybody written a function for it? greetings Dirk Einecke On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:53:48 +0200, Dirk Einecke wrote: > I would like to delete a directory. In this directory are other > directori...

Delete a directory and all its files and sub-directories?
Hi, Does anyone know of, or have code that will delete a php directory and all its sub directories and files. "unlink" and "rmdir" don't do this. I'd prefer not to use "exec" with a system call but if that's the only way, so be it. I'm using PHP 4.4.4. Thanks, - Dave laredotornado@gmail.com said: > Does anyone know of, or have code that will delete a php directory and > all its sub directories and files. "unlink" and "rmdir" don't do this. > I'd prefer not to use "exec" with a system call but ...

Recurse Directories and process files in directory
Hi I need help writing a python script that traverses (recursivly) a directory and its sub directories and processes all files in the directory. So at each directory if there are files in it I must build a list of those files and process them by exectuing a system command (exec?) Can some one tell me what methods to use to: a) Walk the directory tree b) execute a system command with parameters. TIA. KraftDiner wrote: > Hi I need help writing a python script that traverses (recursivly) a > directory and its sub directories and processes all files in the > directory. So at each d...

Hi, I would like to know the fsdb commands for reading vxfs . How do i find out the inodes of the files in a directory . I can see the names of files when i dump the inode of the directory. Say t
Hi, I would like to know the fsdb commands for reading vxfs . How do i find out the inodes of the files in a directory . I can see the names of files when i dump the inode of the directory. Say the inode of directory is 540 and it contains files called check1 and check2. Then in fsdb if i do >540i >p150c i can see the files check1 and check2. How do i find out the inode numbers for check1 and check2. I can find it out from ls -i but what if the directory is deleted. I have checked the man page but i am unable to deduct. So can someone please tell me in case of a dir...

how to file file in a directory using ACE
Version: 5.4.9 host: suse linux enterprise server 9 sp2, SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 sp2 compiler: vs.net 2003 gcc 3.3.3 how to file file in a directory using ACE ...

comparing file sizes from files in a directory #2
comparing file sizes from files in a directory Hello all! I need some help with this function I was trying to make but came up futile in. Basically I have this folder called 'original' and another one called 'new'. In these folders there are .NIF files. Both folders have the same subdirectory folder and file structure. So if there is an "original/black/dot.nif" then there will be a "new/black/dot.nif". The only difference between the two dot.nif files are that they may not be the same file size. I'm trying to create a function that will compare the dot...

Re: Finding directory file of current directory
From: "R Boyd" <bob@hax.com> > Here's a command procedure I wrote years ago to handle the issue: [...] > See if that solves your problem. It probably will unless it encounters a contrary ODS5 extended file name: ALP $ show default LDA1:[o5_test.TEST2.a^[b^]c] ALP $ @ [--]uponedir.com PREV_DIR_LEV = "LDA1:[o5_test.TEST2]" CUR_DIR_SPEC = "LDA1:[o5_test.TEST2]a^[b^c].DIR" ALP $ dir [-]a*.dir Directory LDA1:[o5_test.TEST2] a^[b^]c.DIR;1 Total of 1 file. Everything's complicated. (And getting more so all the time.) From: JONE...