files shadowing themselves/ case of directories?

Today Matlab is doing something odd. When I try to set a breakpoint
in the m-file test_fcn.m in my current directory Users/jay/Matlab, I
get the error:

MATLAB cannot run this file because /Users/jay/matlab/test_fcn.m
showdows it in the current working directory. To set breakpoints in
this file, you must change the MATLAB directory. [With buttons:]
Cancel, Change Directory, Help

Note that the "matlab" directory is in lowercase in the error
message, but it is actually "Matlab." It is written in lowercase as
my current directory as well. When I attempt to change it to
"Matlab", it does so but continues to write it in lowercase.

Any suggestions?
0
bartroff (2)
2/21/2007 7:19:44 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 210202 articles. 11 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

Does Clicking Change Directory Fix The Problem?

if so, you need to set the current directory in matlab to your
directory ('current directory' is set at the top of the main matlab
window), or at least ensure that your directory is in the matlab PATH
above '...2006b/work'.

If there is still a problem,

type:

which filename.m

which will show you the directory that this file is running from.
You have two test_fcn.m files.  Search your hard drive and you'll find
two of them somewhere.  One is in your search path somewhere, and the
other is the file that you have open.  You likely had this file open
in the editor and then changed directories, so that now the current
directory is not the directory where this file lives.  It is saying
that there is another one in a folder in your search path that has the
same name as the one you now have open in the editor.  It's basically
asking you if you want to use the one you have open in the editor
(instead of the other one) and if so, you need to change the current
directory to the directory where the one open in the editor lives.  I
always tell it to change directory and it works fine.  One good thing
is that it alerts you to the fact that there are two of these hanging
around.  If that's not what you expected, then you'd better find out
why you have two versions of it in two different folders.
Regards,
ImageAnalyst

On Feb 21, 2:19 pm, "Jay Bartroff" <bartr...@ucr.edu> wrote:
> Today Matlab is doing something odd. When I try to set a breakpoint
> in the m-file test_fcn.m in my current directory Users/jay/Matlab, I
> get the error:
>
> MATLAB cannot run this file because /Users/jay/matlab/test_fcn.m
> showdows it in the current working directory. To set breakpoints in
> this file, you must change the MATLAB directory. [With buttons:]
> Cancel, Change Directory, Help
>
> Note that the "matlab" directory is in lowercase in the error
> message, but it is actually "Matlab." It is written in lowercase as
> my current directory as well. When I attempt to change it to
> "Matlab", it does so but continues to write it in lowercase.
>
> Any suggestions?

0
imageanalyst (7624)