gamma pdf

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

In the gampdf function, the parameter A and B stad for mean and standard deviation, right?? is there any way to use as input the alpha and beta values of my gamma distribution?? or do I need to compute the mean and stdev previously in my code???

Thaks
0
Reply rogelio.a.mancisidor (103) 9/18/2008 8:17:02 AM

See related articles to this posting

Hi,
A and B are not mean and stdv,but the scale and shape parameters of the gamma distribution.If you know the parameters of your gamma distribution (normally alfa is the shape parameter A and beta is 1/B,B the scale parameter...but you may have a different nomenclature),you can use them directly with the gampdf to compute the probability density function.

"Rogelio " <rogelio.a.mancisidor@student.bi.no> wrote in message <gat2pt$no9$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> In the gampdf function, the parameter A and B stad for mean and standard deviation, right?? is there any way to use as input the alpha and beta values of my gamma distribution?? or do I need to compute the mean and stdev previously in my code???
>
> Thaks
0
Reply lorenzo.guerrasio (122) 9/18/2008 10:45:03 AM

Thanks mate! I was suspecting that the way I was settig my parameters were wrong. First I tried directly alpha and beta, then mean and std but still didnt get what I was hoping for.

"Lorenzo Guerrasio" <lorenzo.guerrasio@email.it> wrote in message <gatbff$ng5$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hi,
> A and B are not mean and stdv,but the scale and shape parameters of the gamma distribution.If you know the parameters of your gamma distribution (normally alfa is the shape parameter A and beta is 1/B,B the scale parameter...but you may have a different nomenclature),you can use them directly with the gampdf to compute the probability density function.
>
> "Rogelio " <rogelio.a.mancisidor@student.bi.no> wrote in message <gat2pt$no9$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > In the gampdf function, the parameter A and B stad for mean and standard deviation, right?? is there any way to use as input the alpha and beta values of my gamma distribution?? or do I need to compute the mean and stdev previously in my code???
> >
> > Thaks
0
Reply rogelio.a.mancisidor (103) 9/18/2008 2:14:04 PM

Lorenzo Guerrasio wrote:
> Hi,
> A and B are not mean and stdv,but the scale and shape parameters of the gamma distribution.If you know the parameters of your gamma distribution (normally alfa is the shape parameter A and beta is 1/B,B the scale parameter...but you may have a different nomenclature),you can use them directly with the gampdf to compute the probability density function.

And you can use them in the GAMSTAT function to compute the mean and the variance.
0
Reply Peter.PerkinsRemoveThis (1650) 9/18/2008 2:18:08 PM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Gamma Pdf plot
Can someone help me figure this out: I need to plot dataset x- with the gamma pdf distribution. A colleague told me I go do this in Matlab but I can seem to figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! k l wrote: > Can someone help me figure this out: > > I need to plot dataset x- with the gamma pdf distribution. > A colleague told me I go do this in Matlab but I can seem > to figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated. k l, if you have access to the Statistics Toolbox, use the Distribution Fitting Tool (DFITTOOL). It wil allow you to re...

PDF of a sum of independent gamma r.vs with unequal shape parameters
The sum of independent gamma r.v's with equal rate parameters is also gamma distributed (even if their shape parameters are different). Do you know the distribution of the sum of N independent gamma r.v's with different rate parameters. NOTE: I did manage to obtain the pdf of the sum of 2 independent gamma r.vs with unequal rate parameters b1 and b2. Say f_X1(x)=exp(b1)*(b1^k1)*x^(k1-1)/(k1-1)! and f_X2(x)=exp(b2)*(b2^k2)*x^(k2-1)/(k2-1)!, for any x >=0. Let X=X_1+X_2. Then f_X(x)=exp(-b1*x)/(k1+k2-1)! * M_T((b1-b2)*x) where k1, k2 are the rate parameters of each gama r.v and M_...

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

PDF TO PDF/A
Hello, is it possible to convert a PDF file to PDFA file ? i tried the -dPDFA option and i vefy my pdf file with PDF longlife. I have an error. Thanks for help. ...

Postscript to PDF with pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other
Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? On 14/04/2008, Sean Nakasone <seannakasone@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, > pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? ps2pdf is standard on any install of Ghostscript, at least on most flavours of Linux/BSD Farrel ...

4x PDF Help
Hi Everyone -- we've launched a new question and answer site for all PDF questions. It's based on the highly popular technology platform used by StackOverflow.com, and provides a great environment for getting your questions answered and answering other people's questions. Check it out --> http://help.4xpdf.com/ Cheers, - Rowan. ...

PDF TO PDF MULTIPAGES
Hello, (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf It doesn't work. Is works with jpeg files: gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle.pdf Thanks for Help. Christophe BADET Christophe BADET wrote: > Hello, > > (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) > i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: > > gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf > It doesn't work. > Is works with jpeg files: > gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle....

PDF::Writer, create pdf and insert in other pdf file.
Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) the following code create a PDF: #!/usr/bin/ruby require 'pdf/writer' pdf = PDF::Writer.new pdf.text "Hello Matz", :font_size => 22 pdf.save_as "novo.pdf" ######################################## now I wanna save this pdf as a last page of a existing pdf. any tips? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Ricardo Pog <ricardo85x@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) > > > the following code create a PDF: > >...

Embedding PDF into PDF ?
I have read from websearching that it is possible to embed a smaller PDF into a main PDF, but cannot find out how this is done. Would I have to open the PDF as a text file and have my program locate a certain PDF command, then literally just stream the raw smaller PDF into it ? Any links or info would be very much aprpeciated Thanks Paul On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Paul Champan wrote: > I have read from websearching that it is possible to embed a smaller PDF > into a main PDF, but cannot find out how this is done. Do you want to merge 2 pdf files or "place" pdf files into a ...

Copy from a PDF to PDF
Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? Thanks in article YT2Fb.22892$vi2.19893@twister.auna.com, jesusp at jesusp@arrakis.es wrote on 12/20/03 1:09 PM: > Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from > a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? - Yep - copy and paste. You may have to crop it first to get just what you want. And it may not paste into position - you need to move it around. - I suppose it depends on which ap...

pdf to dvi to pdf?
I need help with what seems to be a simple problem. I have a collection of pdf manuscript to submitt to a on-demand publisher. They want them to be: (1)6in x 9in with 1/2in margins allound (2) and embedded fonts. The problem is there are: (1) 8.5in x 11in with 1in margins (2) and the fonts aren't embedded. Perl pdf mod is one possibility, what would be involved with doing this with LaTex? I wanting to stay with open source solutions(Linux). TIA, David editor@deepmeanings.com (David Jackon) schrieb: > I need help with what seems to be a simple problem. > I have a collection of ...

How can I convert .txt to .pdf or .pdf to .pdf, controlling fonts?
I am trying to put some Quicken reports onto my iPhone, and I find the default .pdf print font is not clear enough. I'd like to try the Arial font (which I find to be the clearest of all fonts), but this involves either 1- converting the Quicken report .txt file to a .pdf, somehow, with control of the font, or 2- converting the Quicken report .pdf file from the default font to an Arial font .pdf and then moving the resulting .pdf to my iPhone. So far, I have failed. Does anyone know how to do this, either on a mac or on a pc? In article <4cdd4f7e$0$18655$c3...

Saving pdf is disabled but printing pdf to pdf is possible, some problems still
Hi! You know that saving editable PDF-files (I mean PDF-files where fields are editable) is disabled in Acrobat Reader. So I need a way to save edited PDF-files (with filled text-fields and other fields) to PDF. One way is to print PDF-file with some PDF-printer to new PDF, when edited field's data are saved to that new one within right way. That works sometimes but sometimes some of fonts are disabled and some text-fields are filled with different size of circles. Anyone know how to do that? Is Acrobat Reader protected against this kind of doing? Thanks a lot to everyone and I'm...

A PDF into a FM file then save as pdf... how to have alll the pages of the included pdf file
FM 7.2 We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the firts page of the pdf imported. Is there a method to import a pdf file and force FM to generate a pdf file with save as... with the complete pdf file inserted into the padf ? > We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then > when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the > firts page of the pdf imported. > > Is there a method to import a pdf file...

PDF output with pst-pdf
Hello all, pst-pdf manual says I can use include graphics with eps files so I try for example: \begin{figure}[ht] \begin{center} \includegraphics[width=0.6\textwidth]{figures/kripke.eps} \caption{Representation of Kripke Structure Example} \label{fig:kripke} \end{center} \end{figure} However, when pdflatex gets here: Error: pdflatex (file figures/kripke.pdf): cannot find image file ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished! Any suggestions? Cheers, Paulo Matos On 21-09-2007 10:16, Paulo Matos wrote: > pst-pdf manual says I can use include graphics with eps fi...

gamma function gamma(172)
Hi there, Is there a way of calculating the gamma function for values up to 172.5 without getting an Inf? e.g.: gamma(172)=Inf Thanx in advance for any answers! "leo nidas" <bleonidas25@yahoo.gr> wrote in message <ha3d8b$n5q$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > > Hi there, > > Is there a way of calculating the gamma function for values up to 172.5 without getting an Inf? > > e.g.: gamma(172)=Inf > > > Thanx in advance for any answers! Use gammaln. James Tursa ...

BER for Gamma-gamma FOR MPPM
I need help on the following code.Please help me out. THANK YOU clear all close all clc m=2; s=5.*10^-7% Noise standard deviation(?n) r=0.5 % Responsivity R= 0.5A/W p=-30:5:20 %tx power n=0.8 %efficiency D=8.*10.^-2 %Transmitter and Receiver diameter 8cm ar=(pi*D.^2)/4 %transceiver telescope area h=850.*10^-9 %wavelength(850nm) is always better than long wavelength(1550nm) in the absence of turbulence. This is because the transceiver telescope gain is inversely proportional to the wavelength. l=5000 %Distance L 5km Eb_N0_dB = [-3:20] Eb_N0 = 10.^(Eb_N0_dB/10) K=(2.*...

Printing a PDF from Another PDF
is there any way I can print a PDF Document from another PDF. The reason I am asking this is that I have a PDF list containing approx. 50 PDF Documents and would like to be able to print a chosen Document from my list rather than linking to it and then printing it when it has opened. Thanks in anticipation ...

PDF / PS / PDF conversion
Hi, I need to add titles to some PDF files I've been sent. My normal method of hand-editting in Zap doesn't work for these particular files, so I did the following: 1. Display PDF file (using !PDF) 2. Print to PS file (using !PS3 and 'print to file') 3. Convert back to PDF, adding title (using !PrintPDF) This works, and the result looks the same despite reducing the filesize from 219k to 98k. But the hyperlinks are no longer hyperlinks - they're not displayed in blue or clickable. 1. Is there any way to retain the hyperlinks? 2. Is there an easier way to edit PDF file...

PDF/H (PDF for Healthcare) ?
Hello, There had been discussion about a new PDF variant for Healthcare (PDF/H), coordinated by AIIM. There is a web site for its workgroup (http://pdf.editme.com/PDFH), but it doesn't seem active. Does anybody know what is the status of PDF/H? Any pointer? Pascal Sartoretti Hi Pascal, On Jan 30, 8:35 am, Pascal Sartoretti wrote: > Does anybody know what is the status of PDF/H? I've just become involved in the PDF/H working group. PDF/H is a Best Practices guide to the use of PDF within the healthcare domain. The first revision of the guide is in the editing process. The...

Image PDF to Searchable PDF
Hello, Is there any way to convert an image only PDF to a searchable PDF without going through a scanner? In other words, are there software that can do this task directly on the computer? Or, does using OCR software merely mean running the image PDF file through the software and produce a searchable PDF? What reliable softwares are available? Are there programs that run independently? That is, without needing full Acrobat or aome other adjunct software? Thanks, Guru gururajan20815@yahoo.com (Gururajan Ramachandran) wrote in message news:<f72691a.0311200601.27406ab7@posting.google.co...

PDF in matlab not the same as PDF in Excel
Ok I am really confused. I have a file with 30000 data points, that varies between 0 and 1. I can create a pdf plot of this data in Excel using frequency command, and say a hundred bins between 0.01 and 1. Now if I try to do the same in Matlab, using either hist or histc, the values I get in the bins are different to excel. Why is this? And how can I generate a pdf plot in Matlab that is the same in Excel? Would appreciate any help you could give me. I've spent many hours on this. Many thanks. "S " <enxss10@nottingham.ac.uk> wrote in message <i3vaeo$ggp$1@fred.mathwork...

gamma and log gamma function
Hi All, =20 I have an expression that I'm trying to calculate where part of it has this form : [gamma(a)/gamma(b)] -[gamma(d) - gamma(g)]. =20 I'm having difficulty because the arguments for the gamma function become too large. It was suggested that I use the log gamma function to resolve this. Basically I would take the exp(log(expression)) and I would be able to avoid the huge number by using the log gamma function. Unfortunately reworking the above expression involves a log of a sum in the numerator so I can't use the log gamma function for that part. =20 Does anyone know ...

pdf derived from another pdf
Let density=@(z) lognpdf(z,4,1.3); %I want to construct a new pdf from density by only talking the distrubution of all %observations z>100 and normalize it by the mass of this tail. new_density=@(z) (density(find(z>100)))./quadgk(density,100,3000) but this is not working.....ideally quadgk(new_density,100,3000) should equal 1 but that is not hapenning.....any suggestions please..... > Let density=@(z) lognpdf(z,4,1.3); > %I want to construct a new pdf from density by only talking the > distrubution of all > %observations z>100 and normalize it by the mass of this ta...