gpuArray through Remote Desktop

I have been using gpuArray on a certain machine without difficulty when I work locally.
However, when I connect to the same machine remotely using Remote Desktop, attempts to use gpuArray fail with the following error

Error using gpuArray (line 28)
No device supporting CUDA was found.

My local software experts conjecture that this is because Remote Desktop substitutes some default virtual display architecture for the actual video card when rendering the desktop. When MATLAB tries to detect the CUDA capable card it encounters instead this rerouted display architecture and thinks the card isn't there.

However, they also say that MATLAB must have a way to not go through this default display, because otherwise it couldn't support certain GPU cards like Teslas which aren't even used for video display.

In any case, is there a remedy for this problem?
0
mattjacREMOVE (3196)

"Matt J " <mattjacREMOVE@THISieee.spam> writes:
> I have been using gpuArray on a certain machine without difficulty
> when I work locally.  However, when I connect to the same machine
> remotely using Remote Desktop, attempts to use gpuArray fail with the
> following error
>
> Error using gpuArray (line 28)
> No device supporting CUDA was found.

What sort of GPU and driver do you have? I believe you need a Tesla
branded NVIDIA device for this to work, or at least use the TCC driver,
as described here:

<http://www.nvidia.com/object/software-for-tesla-products.html>

Cheers,

Edric.
0
eellis (488)
11/3/2011 4:36:49 PM
Edric M Ellis <eellis@mathworks.com> wrote in message <ytw7h3hyxge.fsf@uk-eellis0l.dhcp.mathworks.com>...

> What sort of GPU and driver do you have?
===============

GTX 580
CUDA 3.2.1 driver

>  or at least use the TCC driver,
================

You mean you think TCC will work with non-Tesla GPUs?
0
mattjacREMOVE (3196)
11/3/2011 5:41:30 PM
"Matt J " <mattjacREMOVE@THISieee.spam> writes:
> Edric M Ellis <eellis@mathworks.com> wrote in message <ytw7h3hyxge.fsf@uk-eellis0l.dhcp.mathworks.com>...
> >
> > What sort of GPU and driver do you have?
>
> GTX 580
> CUDA 3.2.1 driver
>
> >  or at least use the TCC driver,
> You mean you think TCC will work with non-Tesla GPUs?

I'm not sure if that works, but it is definitely required.

Cheers,

Edric.
0
eellis (488)
11/4/2011 8:15:04 AM
Hi Matt,

Matt J wrote:
> I have been using gpuArray on a certain machine without difficulty when
> I work locally.
> However, when I connect to the same machine remotely using Remote
> Desktop, attempts to use gpuArray fail with the following error
>
> Error using gpuArray (line 28)
> No device supporting CUDA was found.
>
> My local software experts conjecture that this is because Remote Desktop
> substitutes some default virtual display architecture for the actual
> video card when rendering the desktop. When MATLAB tries to detect the
> CUDA capable card it encounters instead this rerouted display
> architecture and thinks the card isn't there.
> However, they also say that MATLAB must have a way to not go through
> this default display, because otherwise it couldn't support certain GPU
> cards like Teslas which aren't even used for video display.
> In any case, is there a remedy for this problem?

The situation is that if you start MATLAB using remote desktop, you get
this error about no CUDA device available. But if you connect using
remote desktop to an already running MATLAB that has performed some GPU
operations before, there is no problem and everything works.

So this is what I do to get a reboot-safe remotely accessible setup: I
start MATLAB during OS startup and I have the "gpuDeviceCount" command
in startup.m . This way, the machine boots, starts MATLAB automatically,
then MATLAB performs a GPU operation to initialize CUDA. Then I can
remotely connect to the machine and do GPU work as needed. BTW, this
works even if no monitor is physically connected to the machine.

Good Luck, Jan

--
Jan Houska                                           HUMUSOFT s.r.o.
houska@humusoft.com                                  Pobrezni 20
Jan Houska <houska@humusoft.com> wrote in message <4EB3C65E.9070707@humusoft.com>...

> The situation is that if you start MATLAB using remote desktop, you get
> this error about no CUDA device available. But if you connect using
> remote desktop to an already running MATLAB that has performed some GPU
> operations before, there is no problem and everything works.
================

Thanks, Jan, but unfotunately, I am unable to connect to an already-running MATLAB session via Remote Desktop without triggering an endless stream of Java exception messages in the MATLAB command window. Killing the MATLAB process via the Task Manager is the only cure.

I've had this problem before, but it's become incredibly consistent since I installed this new NVIDIA card. I'm wondering if it's related to the current issue somehow.

In any case, I've been reading about the GPU recognition problem in different forums, and I'm discovering that Remote Desktop is the only remote connection tool that has this issue. LogMeIn, VNC, and various others do not have this problem at all. I plan to try one of those...

0
mattjacREMOVE (3196)
11/4/2011 1:14:15 PM
"Matt J" wrote in message <j90of7$8m4$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> In any case, I've been reading about the GPU recognition problem in different forums, and I'm discovering that Remote Desktop is the only remote connection tool that has this issue. LogMeIn, VNC, and various others do not have this problem at all. I plan to try one of those...
=================

This is just to confirm that I've tried it with LogMeIn and everything does work!
0
mattjacREMOVE (3196)
11/4/2011 3:26:11 PM
Here's some more details on getting remote desktop to work with CUDA GPUs:

http://blog.accelereyes.com/blog/2011/02/10/cuda_remote_desktop_for_tesla_gpus/
"John Melonakos" wrote in message <j975ao$fta$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Here's some more details on getting remote desktop to work with CUDA GPUs:
>
> http://blog.accelereyes.com/blog/2011/02/10/cuda_remote_desktop_for_tesla_gpus/
===============

No good. It's still only for Teslas (which are expensive).
0
mattjacREMOVE (3196)
11/7/2011 6:21:10 AM
I had to add the "Automatic Log In" for this to work
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872306.aspx

But if you do so, it does work!

p.s.: I created the file
C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2013a\toolbox\local\startup.m
and added the line
gpuDeviceCount
to it

Although if you automatically Log In, I think you don't need that startup.m file

>> The situation is that if you start MATLAB using remote desktop, you get
>> this error about no CUDA device available. But if you connect using
>> remote desktop to an already running MATLAB that has performed some GPU
>> operations before, there is no problem and everything works.
>>
>> So this is what I do to get a reboot-safe remotely accessible setup: I
>> start MATLAB during OS startup and I have the "gpuDeviceCount" command
>> in startup.m . This way, the machine boots, starts MATLAB automatically,
>> then MATLAB performs a GPU operation to initialize CUDA. Then I can
>> remotely connect to the machine and do GPU work as needed. BTW, this
>> works even if no monitor is physically connected to the machine.
>>
>> Good Luck, Jan

Invoking Matlab on Remote Desktop ?
Hello everyone ! I was wondering if this is a self specific problem or actually a limitation, but i am not able to invoke MATLAB on my remote machine using Remote Desktop (WinXP pro, SP2). However, when i use Symantec PC anywhere, i am able to do so. Any inputs ? thanks. -Ash Ash wrote: > Hello everyone ! > > I was wondering if this is a self specific problem or actually a > limitation, but i am not able to invoke MATLAB on my remote machine > using Remote Desktop (WinXP pro, SP2). However, when i use Symantec > PC anywhere, i am able to do so. > > Any inputs ? &g...

matlab to matlab remote execution
Hi I have two win PCs running matlab 7. One is slow and other is a high spec fast PC. They are connected to LAN. The directory on fast PC where all matlab work takes place has been mounted as a drive on slow PC. Hence this directory on fast PC can be accessed from slow PC's matlab session. I want to let the user on slow PC run some computationally intense M scripts in his matlab session but execute them on fast PC. I tried usual unix like method. First installed telnet server on fast PC. Then used telnet client on slow PC to log on fast PC. If I attempt to start matlab in slow PC telnet ...

matlab 7 conflicts with Microsoft Remote Desktop?
Every time I connect to my office using Microsoft Remote Desktop and try to run Matlab 7, it says "Terminal Service Client not allowed for Matlab"... I think this license restriction is ridiculous, it disallow me to operate my office computer to see the result of the simulation. Half of the nights were wasted due to this confliction... Mathwork guys could you please help? "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cev7g0$fh2$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Every time I connect to my office using Microsoft Remote Desktop and try to > run Matlab 7, it ...

Re: matlab 7 conflicts with Microsoft Remote Desktop?
Try running matlab locally then lock your account and try connecting with remote desktop connection.. It just works fine. Mathworks do not support RDC. Also if VNC is helpful. You can initiate matlab with VNC and continue working with RDC.. ...

winxp remote desktop problems after matlab 2007b install
Hello everyone, My computer: winXP Pro 1GB RAM P4 HT My problem: I began to get licence.dat error -9 when trying to open MatLab 2007a so decided time to update to 2007b. Installation went as expected but Remote Desktop on this computer stopped accepting connections afterwards. I can still open connections to other computers in the domain but not from these computers to my problem computer. "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" is checked in System Properties and I have verified the computer name. Remote Desktop was working fine before MatLab installation so I can o...

soft-link (symbolic link) file information on remote linux machine using ftp in Matlab
Hi all I want to read a soft-link file information in a remote linux machine on Matlab 7 environment in local Windows machine. To do this, I connected to the remote linux machine using ftp() command in Matlab and tried to read soft link file using the dir() command. However, the dir() command only read the name of a soft-link file and did not fetch the information about the linked file. --- e.g. Assume the soft link file is as follows: softlink.file -> /temp/data.file Using the dir() command after connecting using ftp() command, the resulting file name was just 'softlink.file'. --...

Inside the MATLAB Desktop Blog on MATLAB Central
Hello, The MATLAB Desktop team is joining the MATLAB blog community and recently introduced the "Inside the MATLAB Desktop" blog. The entire Desktop development team will be contributing to the content of this blog to give you information about features that you may not have found in the product and productivity tips. We also will introduce new features as they are released. The blog can be found over on MATLAB Central or at the following link: http://blogs.mathworks.com/desktop/ For more information about who we are and what the "Desktop team" works on, check ...

Matlab (R13) in a Cygwin terminal with no Matlab desktop?
I'm running Cygwin on a Windows 2000 machine, and I'm trying to run Matlab within a Cygwin terminal without the Matlab Windows desktop/terminal popping up. In a Unix terminal, this is accomplished by starting with '-nojvm' option, but this does not work with the Windows version of Matlab..nor does '-nodesktop'. If I can figure out how to do this, people in out group may be able to run Matlab remotely on others Windows 2000 machines (provided they have Cygwin). Any input would be helpful. Thanks. Trace (This seems to be related to another thread: "R14 student...

Remote Desktop (XDMCP) works on LAN, but not remote location.
Following the suggestions of others on my previous thread "Can't log into remote desktop XDMCP" http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/browse_thread/thread/796f16d1fc0f3c65 I now have this working on my LAN. i.e I can now access more than one machine from the Solaris login page by selecting a remote system. But 'remote' in this context is only working for machines on the same subnet - not from anywhere else. I've set up the modem/router/firewall to route UDP port 177 and TCP Port 6000 to this machine from the outside. (IP filter runs on the workst...

Desktop shortcut to matlab, passing a matlab command together with it?
Hi, I have written a gui using matlab. What I would like is a desktop-shortcut to open matlab and start the gui/m-file automatically. Is it possible to startup this gui from e.g. a dos-prompt-shortcut AND to pass a matlab command along with it? Thanks for any info. joris wrote: > Hi, > > I have written a gui using matlab. What I would like is a > desktop-shortcut to open matlab and start the gui/m-file > automatically. > > Is it possible to startup this gui from e.g. a dos-prompt-shortcut AND > to pass a matlab command along with it? > > Thanks for...

remote desktop
hi i just want configure remote desktop in between two systems one will be standart place another one will roam around the world tell me some good idea exacpt pc anywhere and go to my pc software give me freeware website or like that way thank you soundar http://www.realvnc.com/ ----- "soundar" <soundarrajan@linux.net> wrote in message news:f050f36b.0406180146.23795184@posting.google.com... hi i just want configure remote desktop in between two systems one will be standart place another one will roam around the world tell me some good idea exacpt pc ...

Remote desktop
So we have a couple VMs at work, one of them Windoze, running on a Xen hypervisor. We have a Windoze box that we use to connect to the Windoze VM via Remote Desktop. We can also connect to the Windoze VM from any of the Windoze workstations. When we do that, every time, a little <laughing> "progress" dialog comes up saying "securing connections". And it trundles. And trundles. And trundles. Then it finally connects... most of the time. Sometimes it claims it cannot find the machine (by name) and it asks you to try the IP address instead. So I bring...

Remote desktop[
Hi, I use windows at home but I have linux server out there. It there a remote destop type software I can use to connect to linux? Is that downloadable free? I am not much sure what u want. As I understand u want to connect to linux machine from windows. So simple is telnet but it provides only only one terminal. In my view u want means by which u can get complete desktop on windows. So there are reflectionX, VNC server software those can provide this functionality. But I think these are not free. I hope hummingbird also provides software for same functionality that must be free. Regards, ...

Remote desktop
Hello, We have recently bought an Apple Power Mac G5 for a running project. I would want to know if it exists any method to connect to the remote desktop of G5 using several OSs like GNU/Linux or Windows. We know about Apple Remote Desktop, but this application only works to connect Mac with another Mac computer. On the other side we have tested the VNC server, but it doesn't like us because only let one user to connect simultaneously to the open session on the G5. We are interested to find something similar to the XDMCP protocol that X-Window uses on UNIXes systems. Both, SSH an...

Web resources about - gpuArray through Remote Desktop - comp.soft-sys.matlab