How to define functions with composite arguments ?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Am trying to call a self-defined function from a program running under the parallel computing toolkit. This function has composite arguments. If I define the function call in the usual way, I get the error message, "??? Undefined function or method '<function name>' for input arguments of type 'Composite'."

How to I pass codistributed (composite) arguments to a function? How does such a function have to be defined?

Spent quite some time reading documentation but was unable to find a solution.

Thank you for whatever insights you can offer.
0
Reply Peter 3/18/2011 9:15:20 AM

See related articles to this posting

How to configure a call library function node for a function whose argument is a data type defined in windows API
I want to configure call library function node for a function which has the argument of type HANDLE which is a data type defined in the windows API. The function prototype is&nbsp; void CanGetReceiveEvent(int handle, HANDLE *hevent); &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; HANDLE is&nbsp;declared as &nbsp; typedef PVOID HANDLE; &nbsp; and PVOID is pointer to any type and is declared as &nbsp; typedef void *PVOID; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; can&nbsp;the call library function node be configured for such data types. hi Vandana, &nbsp; Can U tell us what Dll are U tr...

Function '>=' is not defined for arguments of type 'date' and 'integer'. Explicitly convert its arguments to the desired type(s)
Hi all, I'm getting the following error message while comparing dates in Ingres database Function '>=' is not defined for arguments of type 'date' and 'integer'. Explicitly convert its arguments to the desired type(s) I feel that it has to do something with table definition. Here is my query: Select * from my_table where valid_date >= another_date; Can any one throw light on this. Thanks, Sen "Sen" <senthil.dhanapal@gmail.com> wrote > Hi all, > > I'm getting the following error message while comparing...

Defining a new function by composition
Hi. I would like to add a method to the Array class, say Array#pop! which is actually split!(-1). But then, I can think of a more general problem: define a new function by composition of two or more functions. In Haskell, I can do something like f :: a -> b -> c f x y = something g::b -> c g = f some_value What is the Ruby equivalent of this? Regards, Ed "Edgardo Hames" <ehames@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:478c16ae0408061209424c2032@mail.gmail.com... > Hi. > > I would like to add a method to the Array class, say Array#pop! which > is actu...

Semi-defined Function arguments???
Hi, I have simplified the situation a lot so hopefully this still makes sense... Say I have a number of functions that work on any individual element of an array. I want to create a function "doOnAll" that will call ANY of those functions on EVERY element of the array. e.g. void doOnAll (int x) { for (i=0;i<n;i++) { if (x==0) { returnValue(i); } else if (x==1) { returnIndex(i); } else if (x==2) { returnCost(i); } } } No problem, but say each of the singular functions had different types of arguments instead of all being 'i' as they are ab...

user defined functions with optional arguments?
I have a function that has two arguents, however depending on the value of the first argument, the second one may or may not be needed. If I only input the first argument when calling the function, PHP returns a warning. many built in php functions have optional arguments, is there a way to make arguments in user defined functions optional as well? Thanks. On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:27:45 -0700, Exyle <usenet.qwest@reg.exyled.net> wrote: >is there a way to make arguments in user defined functions optional http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/functions.arguments.php -- Andy Hassall / &l...

Define a matrix function with size as argument
Dear all, I am quite new to Mathematica and I have the following problem I could not find track of both in the Forum and in the documentation. I need to define a matrix function with size of the matrix as an argument. The function produces a tridiagonal matrix: Q[w_] := MatrixForm[SparseArray[ {i_, j_} /; Abs[i - j] <= 1 -> Which[i < j, a[i - 1]*(1 - (i - 1)/(2*w)), i > j, (a[-i + 2*w + 1]*(i - 1))/(2*w), i == j, (-(1 - (i - 1)/(2*w)))*a[i - 1] - (a[-i + 2*w + 1]*(i - 1))/(2*w) + 1], {2*w, 2*w}]] dum = Q[2] the problem is that...

Defining variable between function argument list and {}
Variables of a C function is usually defined inside the {} of the function. But I also see some variables being defined between the function argument list and {}, such like below. int unzip(in, out) int in, out; /* input and output file descriptors */ { ... } What's the purpose of defining the variables here? Thanks. On Nov 6, 7:36=A0pm, Kuhl <chen_zhi...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Variables of a C function is usually defined inside the {} of the > function. But I also see some variables being defined between the > function argument list and {}, such like below. > >...

Defining a Function with an Indeterminate Number of Arguments
Hello - I am trying to define a function with the following two properties : (A) The function should be able to take an indeterminate number of arguments without using the List structure (like the Which or StringJoin functions in Mathematica). (B) The function should have the capability of defining and using options in the usual way (i.e. using the Options function outside the package definition to define the option default values and using OptionValue within the function definition to retrieve the options with locally defined option values overriding the default values). ...

Composite Type Argument Construction to a Function
create type my_type (my_test text, my_int integer); create function my_function(my_type) returns timestamp as 'begin return (current_timestamp); end; ' language 'plpgsql'; In 7.3.5, we are trying to get around the 32 argument limit of the functions WITHOUT re-compiling with a greater func_max_args (due to operational reasons). My question is - HOW do I construct the argument to my_function(my_type) so that the function recognises that I am passing into it composite data? NB: The example function is just "junque" to test passing a composite ty...