f



how to link .MAT files to MATLAB not the MS ACCESS

Hi

Somehow my computer recognizes .mat files as the Microsoft access
application. I wonder how I can change .mat files to be MAtlab
application.

Thanks
0
polNOSPAM (5)
9/13/2005 2:40:21 AM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 23 followers. lunamoonmoon (257) is leader. Post Follow

8 Replies
652 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 39

"num" <polNOSPAM@aol.com> wrote in message 
news:ef13d4b.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP...
> Hi
>
> Somehow my computer recognizes .mat files as the Microsoft access
> application. I wonder how I can change .mat files to be MAtlab
> application.
>
> Thanks

Try asking in a group specific to your operating system. 


0
no438 (1037)
9/13/2005 7:58:54 AM
open the windows explorer, menu extras, last entry,
the third tab (something like "file types") is the one to use.

Titus

PS: sorry for weird explanation but my windows talks German with me... ;-)

"num" <polNOSPAM@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag 
news:ef13d4b.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP...
> Hi
>
> Somehow my computer recognizes .mat files as the Microsoft access
> application. I wonder how I can change .mat files to be MAtlab
> application.
>
> Thanks 


0
9/13/2005 8:18:29 AM
See instructions in the documentation at

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_env/start_q2.html

Titus Edelhofer wrote:
> open the windows explorer, menu extras, last entry,
> the third tab (something like "file types") is the one to use.
> 
> Titus
> 
> PS: sorry for weird explanation but my windows talks German with me... ;-)
> 
> "num" <polNOSPAM@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag 
> news:ef13d4b.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP...
> 
>>Hi
>>
>>Somehow my computer recognizes .mat files as the Microsoft access
>>application. I wonder how I can change .mat files to be MAtlab
>>application.
>>
>>Thanks 
> 
> 
> 

0
lchuss (65)
9/13/2005 1:55:40 PM
When will TMW change the extension .mat to something else elminating this 
issuse once and for all...
BR
Anders
"Linda Chuss" <lchuss@mathworks.com> skrev i meddelandet 
news:dg6los$9tf$1@fred.mathworks.com...
> See instructions in the documentation at
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_env/start_q2.html
>
> Titus Edelhofer wrote:
>> open the windows explorer, menu extras, last entry,
>> the third tab (something like "file types") is the one to use.
>>
>> Titus
>>
>> PS: sorry for weird explanation but my windows talks German with me... 
>> ;-)
>>
>> "num" <polNOSPAM@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag 
>> news:ef13d4b.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP...
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>Somehow my computer recognizes .mat files as the Microsoft access
>>>application. I wonder how I can change .mat files to be MAtlab
>>>application.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>
>>
>>
> 


0
huanbj (458)
9/13/2005 8:31:47 PM
Anders Bj�rk wrote:
> When will TMW change the extension .mat to something else elminating this 
> issuse once and for all...
> BR
> Anders
> "Linda Chuss" <lchuss@mathworks.com> skrev i meddelandet 
> news:dg6los$9tf$1@fred.mathworks.com...
> 
>>See instructions in the documentation at
>>
>>http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_env/start_q2.html
>>
>>Titus Edelhofer wrote:
>>
>>>open the windows explorer, menu extras, last entry,
>>>the third tab (something like "file types") is the one to use.
>>>
>>>Titus
>>>
>>>PS: sorry for weird explanation but my windows talks German with me... 
>>>;-)
>>>
>>>"num" <polNOSPAM@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag 
>>>news:ef13d4b.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP...
>>>
>>>
>>>>Hi
>>>>
>>>>Somehow my computer recognizes .mat files as the Microsoft access
>>>>application. I wonder how I can change .mat files to be MAtlab
>>>>application.
>>>>
>>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>
>>>
> 
> 

Why should matlab have to change?  Besides, I never double click a mat 
file, and it's associated program doesn't change the behavior of the 
load function.  Not to mention I rarely use windows.
0
cchgroupmail (818)
9/13/2005 8:37:06 PM
num wrote:
>
>
> Hi
>
> Somehow my computer recognizes .mat files as the Microsoft access
> application. I wonder how I can change .mat files to be MAtlab
> application.
>
> Thanks

With my Win2k SP4 it is simple enough.

Select a *.mat file, right-click, select Properties, select General,
click Change... (Open with:), select Matlab, OK, Apply,

/ per
0
poi3 (1061)
9/13/2005 9:00:44 PM
My guess is that 60 % of all matlab license are on Windows (at least the 
commerical part). The problem is even deeper on windows because you can not 
attach mat files in Outlook/Outlook express for instance, without changing 
the default link for the .mat extension from Microsoft Access to matlab. 
Firewalls etc. regard .mat files as Access short-cuts and might block them.


"Christopher Hulbert" <cchgroupmail@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet 
news:6F9A6A1BDCEDDAB60130D6843B1888BA@in.webx.raydaftYaTP...
> Anders Bj�rk wrote:
>> When will TMW change the extension .mat to something else elminating this
>> issuse once and for all...
>> BR
>> Anders
>> "Linda Chuss" <lchuss@mathworks.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> news:dg6los$9tf$1@fred.mathworks.com...
>>
>>>See instructions in the documentation at
>>>
>>>http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_env/start_q2.html
>>>
>>>Titus Edelhofer wrote:
>>>
>>>>open the windows explorer, menu extras, last entry,
>>>>the third tab (something like "file types") is the one to use.
>>>>
>>>>Titus
>>>>
>>>>PS: sorry for weird explanation but my windows talks German with me...
>>>>;-)
>>>>
>>>>"num" <polNOSPAM@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>>>news:ef13d4b.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Hi
>>>>>
>>>>>Somehow my computer recognizes .mat files as the Microsoft access
>>>>>application. I wonder how I can change .mat files to be MAtlab
>>>>>application.
>>>>>
>>>>>Thanks
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>
> Why should matlab have to change?  Besides, I never double click a mat
> file, and it's associated program doesn't change the behavior of the
> load function.  Not to mention I rarely use windows. 


0
huanbj (458)
9/13/2005 9:04:06 PM
num wrote:
>
>
> Hi
>
> Somehow my computer recognizes .mat files as the Microsoft access
> application. I wonder how I can change .mat files to be MAtlab
> application.
>
> Thanks

You don't have to use the MAT extension for mat files. "load" and
"save" both allow you to use other extensions.

I had a similar problem with the Citrix environment. Citrix wouldn't
even allow us to open the files unless it was with access which would
just blow up since they were Matlab files.

Our easy solution was to use .dat for the file extension for mat
files. We have been using that for over a year with hundreds of
active users via compiled Matlab apps.

Stephen
0
9/13/2005 10:29:33 PM
Reply: