how to obtain the non-zero solution of the equation?

Hi all,

I want to solve x for y=(e^x-x-1)/e^x-1

however,

syms x y
solve('x-y/(e^y-1)','y')

ans =

0

but with the following online equation solver, i'm able to obtain the solution I want

http://www.hostsrv.com/webmab/app1/MSP/quickmath/02/pageGenerate?site=quickmath&s1=equations&s2=solve&s3=basic

It is free!!! But matlab is not!
0
aa6597 (1)

atemporal atemporal wrote:

> I want to solve x for y=(e^x-x-1)/e^x-1

> however,

> syms x y
> solve('x-y/(e^y-1)','y')

> ans =
> 0

What do the two equations have to do with each other?

If y=(e^x-x-1)/e^x - 1
then x + y*e^x + 1 = 0
which doesn't look anything like what you ask to solve() for.

Have you perhaps mis-entered or mis-read one of the equations? For example,
is it (e^x-x-1)/e^x-1 or is it (e^x-x-1)/(e^x-1) ?

--
..signature note: I am now avoiding replying to unclear or ambiguous postings.
Please review questions before posting them. Be specific. Use examples of what you mean,