how to show Latex text string on "static text" field in GUI?

hi folks,

how to show Latex text such as "\sigma" symbol on the "static text" field in
my GUI?

thanks a lot,

-Gino

0
mizhael (176)

gino wrote:

I'm not sure you can, at least in R13.  (R14 might be different.)
Uicontrols such as static text boxes don't seem to support the
Interpreter command to allow you specify whether whether characters are
interpreted as Tex instructions or literally.  In R13, uicontrols seem
to interpret all characters literally.

Bob Pownall
0
repownall (290)
7/22/2004 3:02:09 AM
gino wrote on 22 Jul 2004 03:15:06 MET:

> how to show Latex text such as "\sigma" symbol on the "static
> text" field in my GUI?

If your text is static you could convert LaTeX output to an
image (GIF or PNG) and include that instead of your text:

<URL:http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/textogif/textogif.html>

HTH

Patrick
--
MATLAB support: http://www.mathworks.com/support/
MATLAB file exchange: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange
gino wrote:

> hi folks,
>
> how to show Latex text such as "\sigma" symbol on the "static text"
> field in
> my GUI?
>
> thanks a lot,
>
> -Gino

Well, you could also cheat.
Don't use a static text field, but directly the 'text' command... you
just have to determine the (x, y) position of the text.
Since 'text' places your formated text according to the current axes,
I would suggest that you create a fake 'axes' object in your GUI,
which purpose would only be to place your 'text' object whenever you
want.

I don't know if you can show a 'text' object in an 'axes' that is not
'visible'. But it does not really matter, you can always make your
new 'axes' object look like the backgroun of your figure.

Hope it helps!

Gauthier

Re: Number" fields to "Text"
Ricky: Let's first switch to SAS terms and concepts. Columns in a SAS dataset either have numeric typed data or character typed data. SAS does not support mixed data types in one column (fortunately). So if you import numbers and text in one MS Excel column, that column will almost always be character typed. Check the properties of the column variable in PROC CONTENTS, SQL DICTIONARY.columns, or interactively in Display Manager Explorer. SAS uses the PUT() function and an informat to convert numbers to character variables. For numeric typed variable x, a Data step statement along the line...

modify strings in a file: L"foo" -> TEXT("foo")
Hello- I try to replace all occurences of L"foo" by TEXT("foo") in a file where foo can be any text. This is what I thought should work: #!/bin/bash awk '{ gsub(/L"[^",]*"/, "TEXT(" substr("&", 2) ")" ); print }' testfile.txt but it doesn't - it just shows TEXT() without "foo" in it... what could be wrong here? Thanks, Akex *match($0,/L"[^",]*"/) { * m = substr( $0, RSTART, RLENGTH ) * $0 = substr($0,1,RSTART-1) "TEXT(" substr(m,2) ")" \ * substr($0,RSTA...

How can I use LaTeX in GUI "Staic Text"?
I want to write Q_i in GUI "Static Text" "i" must be smaller than Q. In article <fq141a$o43$1@fred.mathworks.com>, "Evgeny " <golovinov@vniigim.ru> wrote: > I want to write Q_i in GUI "Static Text" > "i" must be smaller than Q. First get my uibutton: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId= 10743&objectType=FILE> (watch for wrapped URL) Then use it like this: uibutton('Position',[20 20 60 40],... 'Style','text',... 'String','Q_i&#...

modify string in file: L"foo" -> TEXT("foo")
Hello- I try to reply all occurrences of L"foo" by TEXT("foo") in a file where foo can be any text. This is what I thought should work: #!/bin/bash awk '{ gsub(/L"[^",]*"/, "TEXT(" substr("&",2) ")" ); print }' testfile.txt but it doesn't (it just shows TEXT() without the "foo")... What could be wrong here? Thanks! Alex ...

Re: Number" fields to "Text" #2
HERMANS1@WESTAT.COM replied: >Let's first switch to SAS terms and concepts. Columns in a SAS dataset >either have numeric typed data or character typed data. SAS does not >support mixed data types in one column (fortunately). So if you import >numbers and text in one MS Excel column, that column will almost always >be character typed. Check the properties of the column variable in PROC >CONTENTS, SQL DICTIONARY.columns, or interactively in Display Manager >Explorer. > >SAS uses the PUT() function and an informat to convert numbers to >character variables. For ...

latex -> how do you show the text "Notes" on empty pages?
Hello I have managed to create an empty page after a chapter when the chapter ends on an odd page. \chapter{Test} Test \clearpage \thispagestyle{empty} \cleardoublepage but I want to show the text "Notes" on the empty page. I have tried with this: \documentclass[twoside]{report} \begin{document} % This chapter ends on page 1 and therefore page 2 is an empty page \chapter{test} test \clearpage \thispagestyle{empty} {Notes} \cleardoublepage % This chapter ends on page 4 and therefore there should not be an empty % page after this chapter. \chapter{test2} test1 \clearpage test2 \clearpage \thispagestyle{empty} {Notes} \cleardoublepage \end{document} but it gives me 6 pages instead of only the 4 pages that I want. I only want to print the text "Notes" when there is an empty page. How can I control that? Thanks Rune Rune Christensen <rune.christensen@adslhome.dk> wrote: > Hello > > I have managed to create an empty page after a chapter when the chapter > ends on an odd page. > > \chapter{Test} > Test > \clearpage \thispagestyle{empty} \cleardoublepage > > but I want to show the text "Notes" on the empty page. > > I have tried with this: > > \documentclass[twoside]{report} > \begin{document} > > % This chapter ends on page 1 and therefore page 2 is an empty page > \chapter{test} > test > \clearpage \thispagestyle{empty} {Notes} \cleardoublepage > > % This cha...

LaTex in static text field of a GUI using Matlab GUIDE
Hi all, I am trying to insert a LaTeX symbol in a label in a GUI. I have created the GUI in GUIDE, but cannot seem to get symbols like alpha, phi etc in a static text field. Should this be done in the property inspector or in the .m file? I have tried a solution as: http://www.mathworks.co.uk/support/solutions/en/data/1-1VE03X/index.html?product=ML&solution=1-1VE03X But it just gives a mess of everything in the GUI. Any ideas? Thank you and best regards, Aaronne. "Aaronne" wrote in message <js9i5r$gq4$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hi all, > > I am trying to insert a LaTeX symbol in a label in a GUI. > I have created the GUI in GUIDE, but cannot seem to get symbols like alpha, phi etc in a static text field. Should this be done in the property inspector or in the .m file? > > I have tried a solution as: > http://www.mathworks.co.uk/support/solutions/en/data/1-1VE03X/index.html?product=ML&solution=1-1VE03X > > But it just gives a mess of everything in the GUI. Any ideas? > > Thank you and best regards, > Aaronne. As the solution link is trying to suggest, you can't display latex on a uicontrol. Instead you need to make an invisible axes and put a text object in the axes. (make the axes in GUIDE and the text object in the m file) Hi Matt, Thanks for your reply, but I still not get it. I have put the codes in right place of my GUI_figure.m file. Then I also create a...

Please help! A2K Memo field showing error "Too much text to edit"
The error does not have an error number. It's not even a normal Access error message box. Hope someone has some insight to this problem. I have a form that contains a large (5" x 4") text box bound to a memo field. This field allows users to type in the text of an email to be sent through Outlook (via automation). I ONE user who send me his back end data base where he has inserted several two - three page emails. When scrolling through the records, two of about twenty records shows and error that says "Too much text to edit". This error occurs when the cursor is ...

How to allow "@" in text field?
In my local community, many have their name with the character "@", e.g. Chong YuYi @ Elaine. How do I allow this character as a normal text so that I can type and serach? Han Wei You can type it normally then search with "" around the words. go into find mode and type "Chong YuYi @ Elaine" perform the search and you will find Chong YuYi @ Elaine You could also work around it, using your own code (like an $) when you type it AND when you search it. But use a calculation to replace the $ with @ for displaying and printing. Keep well, Ursus "HanWei&quo...

Static Text and "&"
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C382B3.3099D290 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Does anybody know how to turn off the accelerator feature (&A is = displayed as A underlined) of a static text field? Thank You, Mike ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C382B3.3099D290 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> ...

"Text Field question"
Hello, I am new to this group and I am not sure if this is the one that a beginner Java programmer should use, if it is not, please I would like somebody to tell me so. If this group is ok for beginners I would like to ask something, how can I display a numerical value in a JTextField, I know that method void setText() display a string, and that I should parse the numerical value to a string, but I am not sure how to do it. I looked in the API, but in the JTextField class I do not find anything that could give me a clue. Thank you Javier Javier wrote: > Hello, > > I am new to th...

"Chiseled" text in LaTeX
Hi Everyone, I am using the beautiful Trajan font available from CTAN in a document and would like to render the text a chiseled look. I believe that PSTricks can do the "trick" but I am not that versed in programming with it. The elegant user manual has many impressive renderings of text but none of the examples can be modified to make the text give the appearance of chiseled letters. I would be very grateful if someone would like to have a go at it. Or perhaps someone has already done something like this that they would like to share. Regards, Tariq ...

text in title block, how do I "anchor" this text?
In the title box, when I put in the anotation text for the title. What anchors the text in the same spot in the title box? new in 2006: select the text & then in the property manager on the left click the anchor icon. Now it wont move until you select it again & unachor it. really nice feature. Hope that helps Steve T. "billyb" <bhorn1@voyager.net> wrote in message news:1143822750.191966.275250@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > In the title box, when I put in the anotation text for the title. What > anchors the text in the same spot in the title box? > Thank you, I am running sw 2005, any help on that version? Nope not possible in anything but 2006 (as far as I know) sorry. Steve T. "billyb" <bhorn1@voyager.net> wrote in message news:1143830414.137222.95680@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Thank you, I am running sw 2005, any help on that version? > I have looked to try this and am at a loss to locate this anchor icon either in Sheet Format or drawing menus. Could you tell me where this feature resides? Using SW2006 SP2. -- Andy Rodgers Lintech Services On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:21:06 GMT, "SteveT" <steve.tietz@engatechremove.com> wrote: >new in 2006: >select the text & then in the property manager on the left click the anchor >icon. Now it wont move until you select it again & unachor it. >really nice feature. > >Hope that helps >Steve T. > >"bi...

.Text="*\**"
If I had a string *this*is what*it looks*like when*I*shout* would "*\**" pick it up? (I do a lot of writing in plain text form and need to import it into MS Word recently. The footnote VBA script was a lifesaver. This is not as essential, but I'm looking ahead. There are about three or four more such scripts [<Heading>, _Italic_, *Bold*, maybe {Comment}] I suspect might come in hand in the next three months) - = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian ...

Writing a "String#jindex" method to do the same for "index" as "String#jlength" does for "length"
So I've been using the 'jcode' library to get UTF-8 support and wanted to add a convenience method called "jindex" that would work with multi- byte characters in much the same way that "jlength" does. The basic idea is to call the real "index" method to do the work, and then convert the returned byte-count index into a character-count index before returning it to the user. This works fine, but the problem is that I can't find a way to propagate $~ back to the user. That is, after calling this: 'foo'.index /foo/ $~ is set and $~[0] is &q...

TEXTREAD: numeric formats choke on "NaN" and "" (quoted as text) in R13
When trying to read a CSV file with TEXTREAD that is the output of a spreadsheet, I've noticed the following. If you specify a numeric format for a field, and the field contains "NaN" or "", TEXTREAD returns an error. NaN (unquoted) is fine. I can't find a way to enter NaN as a numeric value into either Excel or Openoffice. Also, if any result of a vlookup is empty, "" will be output by both programs. So this is sort of a pain. A workaround is to read each field as text and then convert later to numeric using str2double. Does anyone have a...

Counting records where field = "text"
Hi, I'm trying to create a report for a table. The table on contains 2 fields Name Rating ---- ------ Joe high Mary med Joe med Mary med Joe med Mary low Joe low I'd like to do is display how many high's, med's and low's each person has. ie high med low Joe 1 2 1 Mary 0 2 1 Do I have to create a query for each rating then count them ie select * from table where rating = high or is it possible to just count them inside the report. I tried count([rating]="high") but got type mismatc...

"a string".xor("another string")
I want to do an XOR of two strings: "a string".xor("another string") It's not that hard to implement, but it's not fast either, since it walks through the data string, byte-by-byte. Any ideas? For example: "It's memory-hungry!". Any solutions? gegroet, Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/ ---------------------------------------------------------------- class String def xor(other) if other.empty? self else a1 = self.unpack("c*") a2 = other.unpack("c*") a2 *= 2 while a...

"Show text symbols" doesn't show paragraph markers
I have been using Eudora 5.0 for several years. Recently my hard disk crashed and I had to reinstall it (although I had backed up my eudora.ini file and so have retained all my old settings). Now, when I use "show text symbols" during composition, it only shows dots for the blank spaces -- it doesn't show the end-of-paragraph marks as it always did before. This is driving me crazy, as I often want to control the ends of lines. What could have happened? Also, is there anywhere I can download the manual for Eudora 5.0? Unfortunately, that's one thing I had not backed up. Thanks, Sylvia Sylvia Engdahl <sle@sylviaengdahl.com> wrote: > I have been using Eudora 5.0 for several years. Recently my hard > disk crashed and I had to reinstall it (although I had backed up > my eudora.ini file and so have retained all my old settings). Now, > when I use "show text symbols" during composition, it only shows > dots for the blank spaces -- it doesn't show the end-of-paragraph > marks as it always did before. This is driving me crazy, as I often > want to control the ends of lines. What could have happened? What font are you using? If you're using a font that doesn't include the paragraph symbol, that might be why you don't see anything for it. If you don't know what you're using, go to Tools | options | fonts and look at what is specified for the message fonts. Note that the...

why "::", not "."

about "++" and "--"

"out" and "in out"

Setting "text" value to "option" element in IE
I'm creating a select entirely through JavaScript and very strangely IE doesn't show the text in the option elements. Here part of the code: this.form_country=document.createElement("select"); var option; for(var i=0; i<arr.length; i++){ option=document.createElement("option"); option.value=arr[i].code; option.text=arr[i]._value; alert(option.value+" - "+option.text); this.form_country.appendChild(option); } It works perfeclty on FireFox, funny thing is that the alert works properly but there is no way to see any text inside :S Any idea? Of cou...

Web resources about - how to show Latex text string on "static text" field in GUI? - comp.soft-sys.matlab