How to use the rate transition block in simulink?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I am new to Simulink, especially designing discrete, sample-based,
multirate systems.

The simulink manual on the rate transition block states that,
"the Zero-Order Hold block also enables transfer of data between
blocks operating at different rates. However, you should use the Rate
Transition block for this purpose because it is designed specifically
for this purpose, offers a wider range of options, and is easier to
use."

I am sampling a higher (slower) rate data stream at a slower (faster)
rate and would like to know how I can use the rate transition block
to do the job, instead of using the usual zero-order hold block? Or
for that matter, how I can create blocks that operate at different
rates so that I can use the rate transition block to handle multirate
data transfers?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
0
Reply wkpaik (57) 6/3/2004 7:02:06 AM

See related articles to this posting

Simulink rate transition block
Do I have to have a unit delay when upsampling the output of a slow subsystem? I have an s-function that can generate a discrete output at time t=0,1,2,3,... which I want to compare (in a scope) with native Simulink blocks that output at say 0, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3,... This requires a rate transition on the s-function output. I would expect my s-function output to be held at f(0) until t=1 then step up. However, the rate transition block won't pass through my f(0) value until t=0.1 and it is always 0.1s behind from then on. If the s-function output is available at t=0, why can't it be used th...

Changing operation of rate transition blocks (Simulink)
I am using rate transition blocks in one of my Simulink/SPS models.The block is supposed to show a label on the block in order to indicate the type of operation (e.g. ZOH, 1/Z, NoOp, etc.). However, even if the block seems to work, it always shows: NoOp. Not sure why that is the case. Instead of a ZOH, I would like to use a FOH operation of the rate transition block. However, it does not seem to be very straight forward task as the block itself does not allow for direct manipulation of the rate transition block operation. My question is, does anyone know how to manipulate the operation of r...

Problem with Rate Transition / Merge blocks in Simulink
Hi, I have a Simulink design that comprises of 2 sets of rate transition blocks input to a Merge block. --------------------------------------------------------- The signal from 'my_design/Rate Transition' output port 1 is required to be persistent, hence this signal cannot be connected to a Merge block. --------------------------------------------------------- Does the Merge block support different rate signals as its input? I want to switch between two signals with different rates but do not know how? Thank you. ...

Simulink
Hi all, May i know what is the block or algorithm i should use to detect valid (significant) audio input signal ? I have this model in my simulink microphone --- > Display I planned if i talked to microphone , display block display a '1' else '0' . What is the progress that i should put in the middle of microphone and display block? Many thanks. ...

Simulink
Hi all, May i know what is the block or algorithm i should use to detect valid (significant) audio input signal ? I have this model in my simulink microphone --- > Display I planned if i talked to microphone , display block display a '1' else '0' . What is the progress that i should put in the middle of microphone and display block? Many thanks. hi all, please advise me on this again please.. I have an idea.. Is it i should work it out with sound energy level of amplitude? but how can i do it with amplitude??? The microphone block output its data in frame... not ...

Using IF block in simulink
Hello, Please help me out here. I am not able to use the if block in Simulink. I get the error message, "Port 1 of if can only be connected to an action subsystem and may not be connected to more than one action subsystem" Let me know what could be wrong there. ...

How do I connect multiple from blocks to a Mux block using a single add_line function call in simulink
Hello, How do I connect multiple from blocks to a Mux block using a single add_line function call in simulink. For example If I have 5 from block and want to connet all from blocks to a Mux block with 5 inputs. Is it possible to do this by writing a single add_line function. Would be grateful is any body can solve my problem. Thanks in advance... ...

Blocks used in Demo of simulink
I have been studying the WCDMA Demo in simulink. So I used some of the blocks from the WCDMA demo library in my simulink model, ran it through an M file and it gives error results my question is Can i use the demo blocks in my Simulink model "omair khan" <omair.saeed@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hheaq5$hhj$1@fred.mathworks.com... >I have been studying the WCDMA Demo in simulink. So I used some of the >blocks from the WCDMA demo library in my simulink model, ran it through an >M file and it gives error results my question is Can i use the demo blocks >in m...

How to use a function as a block in Simulink?
Hi, Is it possible in simulink to create a block out of a function that I wrote in Matlab? If so, would someone please give an idea how to do it? Thanks Yes, it is possible by creating an S-function. Read about Simulink S-functions. Simulink student wrote: > > > Hi, > > Is it possible in simulink to create a block out of a function that > I > wrote in Matlab? If so, would someone please give an idea how to do > it? > > Thanks use the block MATLAB FCN in functions and tables block set. That will help u . rgds Nitin On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:16:29 -0500, Simulin...

Simulink: using queue block
Hi experts, I m using queue block in my model. I want to write data at one rate and pop it at different rate. If i do it straight a way , it throws me error. How do i achieve my requirement? Thanks, Ashwini Any help plzz I m totally stuck up here Thanks "Ashwini " <vd.ashwini@mathworks.com> wrote in message <jh31qa$ibo$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hi experts, > I m using queue block in my model. I want to write data at one rate and pop it at different rate. > If i do it straight a way , it throws me error. > How do i achieve my requirem...

finding rate transition block
hi friends, is there any block with name rate transition block. if yes, in which library it is available. thanks in advance regards Madhu <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/0.htm> #25104;&#40857;15&#20301;&#22899;&#21451; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/1.htm> &#24072;&#29983;&#24651; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/2.htm> #23089;&#20048;&#22280;&#19982;&#40657;&#31038;&#20250;&#25581;&#31192 ; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/3.htm> #32769;&#33433;&#33993; &#29616;&#36523; <http://xdm001.googl...

using the impedence block in simulink
Hi all, i'm trying to measure the impedence across a load having an AC supply.The diagram is as: http://img10.imageshack.us/i/impedence.jpg/ I'm looking at the impedence using the impedence vs frequency plot but it gives me no value at all. How do i actually measure impedence?Please help. Thanks. alvin ...

downsampling with rate transition block
Hello, I want to downsample a signal in Simulink, but as I don't have the Signal Proccessing Toolbox available, I am looking for a different way. I noticed the rate transition block and having a look at the help I have the impression, that it has the same functionality. Has anybody experiences with it? ...

creating block using simulink
Is it possible to create our own blocks using simulink. plz help me. On Oct 10, 11:53=A0am, donmt...@gmail.com wrote: > Is it possible to create our own blocks using simulink. plz help me. Hello, Yes, It is possible. In Simulink browser you can find a library called User-Defined Functions. from there You can use "MATLAB Fcn" to call MATLAB function to Simulink or "Fcn" block to write your own expression etc. better right click each block & select help on that block. I think that will give you more Idea. Shan.... thanks shan "shan.matlab@gmail.com&q...

Illegal rate transitions in Simulink
How do you people debug "illegal rate transition" related problems in Simulink? I already know: - set "automagically insert rate trans block..." option --> sometimes it cannot be done automatically because according to Simulink, there are multiple ways to do it. - set "format|Port/signal displays|Sample Time Color". It provides no relevant information to me now. I working with a multirate model, but concentrating on purely continuous (and atomic) subsystem. When I edited section A of it, section B issues error message. Do you have any other suggestions...

Help which block in Simulink that I should use
Any body can explain which block that I should use to represent this suation in Simulink: Block A will generate value 1 or 0 which depends on simulation step. Block B will generate value that explain when is the block A should give result 1. For example, in the first simulation step, block B will generate value 3, the block A should generate value 0 until the next 3 simulation step and after that block A should generate value 1. This should continue until the simulation is over. May be it is little bit complicated, but I hope you can understand what I mean. Thank you. ...

using Simulink blocks as function
How can we use the operations a simulink block does, as a function (just for more control on the inputs, outputs, etc....)? Especially I want to use the Optical Flow and Block Matching blocks in such a way. ...

Efficient use of the Simulink Memory Block
Hi I am working with code generation and need efficient code. I need to model a for iterator subsystem inside which a matrix is being modified in certain elements depending on the iteration number. From a modelling point of view I could simply use a memory block to store the entire matrix. I could modify the matrix from the memory block and feed it back into the memory block. However that produces an unnecessary copying-overhead for all the unmodified elements. How can I do this in a smarter way. Like using the memory block to store a matrix and somehow modifying only selecte...

wcdma rate matching simulink block
hi, can anyone give me help file for the rate matching simulink block for wcdma as it contains some confusing parameters that i dont understand ... p.s in my project i need to convert 804 bits output from convolutional coder into 688 bits ... so can anyone help me ? nasr wrote: > > > hi, > can anyone give me help file for the rate matching simulink block > for > wcdma as it contains some confusing parameters that i dont > understand > .. > > p.s in my project i need to convert 804 bits output from > convolutional coder into 688 bits ... > > so can anyo...

[SIMULINK] Help on the Use of If eslse If block
I'm trying to realize a simulator of a rocket for space use, and i want to realize it in Simulink, but I have a problem with the stadiation. I need to calculate some variable in different way in the different time of the simulation. I need something that in a traditional language can be wrote like this: (if T is the time and A the variable I want ti calculate) if T<t1 then A=c*d else if t1<T<t2 then d=g*c A=d^b else if T>t3 then A=0 I need to create a subsystem with in input the time T and the necesary parameter (in example g,c,b,d...

simulink rate transitions in referenced model
Hi, I have a large simulink model with all kinds of different rate transitions and everything works fine. But to create a more modular simulation I want to copy certain blocks as seperat models and then refer to them using a "referenced model" from the simulink library / Ports & subsystems. After having done so I get illegal rate transitions for every rate transition present in the reference model: > "Illegal rate transition found. Sample time [0.05 0] of 'sensorModel/GPS_Model/Rate > Transition2' at input port 1 is different from sample time [0.0...

what simulink block do i use to data to GUI?
what simulink block in the library do i use to data to GUI? ...

using workspace data in simulink block
Hi Is it possilble use a value availabe in workspace (transfer function, zpk format,obtained after running mfile) to be used as a value in a transfer function simulink block with out typing into it the coefficients. "SACHIN DEVASSY" <sachindevassy@gmail.com> wrote in message <hkbjkh$bfo$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi > > Is it possilble use a value availabe in workspace (transfer function, zpk format,obtained after running mfile) to be used as a value in a transfer function simulink block with out typing into it the coefficients. Hi, yes it is possible. There ...

How to use Simulink FFT block correctly?
Hi, everybody, It is quite strange that when I try to transfer specific frequency signal in the FFT block in Simulink, some spikes come out and I am not sure how they come even though the input signal is a mono-tune signal. However, when change the zero-order-hold sampling time to about 1.5 times the input signal frequency, these spikes disappear. Is that relate with sampling therum or because the sampling frequency of zero-order holder should be at a certain range to collect the right signal frequency information? And more, what is the effect of the FFT window? I suppose to use Hamming win...