How to use Visual Query Builder (Toolboxes > Database)? Trying to get data from Excel & Access.

So, I’ve been trying to work with the Visual Query Builder (Toolboxes > Database) for some time now.  I’m making zero progress here.

I’m trying to import some data from MS Access; simple.  In the Visual Query Builder GUI, I click ‘MS Access Database’ and immediately a window pops open and it reads ‘Datasource’.  This Window wants me to input a UserName & Password.  Well, I don’t have either of these.  All I’m doing is trying to import data from a small Access DB, with no UserName or Password whatsoever.  Instead of clicking ‘MS Access Database’, if I click ‘Excel Files’, I get exactly the same thing; I get prompted to enter the UserName & Password.  I DON’T HAVE THESE!!  I CAN’T ENTER SOMETHING THAT I DON’T HAVE.  If I click Query > Define ODBC Datasource, it seems like I can setup a new ODBC connection, which presumably, will eliminate the requirement to enter a U & P (which don’t even exist).  However, under the ODBC Connections, I only have an option to click ‘Add’ and that opens a Window with SQL Server and SQL
Native Client.  If I click this, I’m prompted to enter a server name.  That’s fine if I’m pointing to SQL Server, but I’m pointing to Excel & Access; these are files, not servers.

What am I missing here?  I’ve seen at least a half dozen demos online where the user clicks Visual Query Builder, then select the data source, and he/she is done in like 10 seconds.  I’ve been struggling with this for several days, and I’ve gotten absolutely nothing, whatsoever, to work.  I must be missing something really simple.  Can someone help me get pointed in the right direction, and get this working.

Thanks!!
0
Ryan

"Ryan" wrote in message <linnhv$78c$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> So, I’ve been trying to work with the Visual Query Builder (Toolboxes > Database) for some time now.  I’m making zero progress here.
>
> I’m trying to import some data from MS Access; simple.  In the Visual Query Builder GUI, I click ‘MS Access Database’ and immediately a window pops open and it reads ‘Datasource’.  This Window wants me to input a UserName & Password.  Well, I don’t have either of these.  All I’m doing is trying to import data from a small Access DB, with no UserName or Password whatsoever.  Instead of clicking ‘MS Access Database’, if I click ‘Excel Files’, I get exactly the same thing; I get prompted to enter the UserName & Password.  I DON’T HAVE THESE!!  I CAN’T ENTER SOMETHING THAT I DON’T HAVE.  If I click Query > Define ODBC Datasource, it seems like I can setup a new ODBC connection, which presumably, will eliminate the requirement to enter a U & P (which don’t even exist).  However, under the ODBC Connections, I only have an option to click ‘Add’ and that opens a Window with SQL Server and SQL
> Native Client.  If I click this, I’m prompted to enter a server name.  That’s fine if I’m pointing to SQL Server, but I’m pointing to Excel & Access; these are files, not servers.
>
> What am I missing here?  I’ve seen at least a half dozen demos online where the user clicks Visual Query Builder, then select the data source, and he/she is done in like 10 seconds.  I’ve been struggling with this for several days, and I’ve gotten absolutely nothing, whatsoever, to work.  I must be missing something really simple.  Can someone help me get pointed in the right direction, and get this working.
>
> Thanks!!

Anyone??  Any idea what may be wrong here?  I read through the Database Toolbox - Getting Started instructions.  I'm thinking that something is not installed correctly.

Again, in the Visual Query Builder window, I click Query > Define ODBC Data Source, I can see MS Access in the list.  However, if I select it, and hit OK, then click Access on the main Visual Query Builder window, I'm prompted for a username and password, which I don't have.  It really seems like something isn't setup correctly.  Maybe I'm missing a driver, or some such thing.  Not sure.  Any ideas, anyone?
0
Ryan
4/18/2014 2:09:08 PM
"Ryan " <ryanshuell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Ryan" wrote in message <linnhv$78c$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
>> So, I’ve been trying to work with the Visual Query Builder (Toolboxes >
>> Database) for some time now.  I’m making zero progress here.
>>
>> I’m trying to import some data from MS Access; simple.  In the Visual
>> Query Builder GUI, I click ‘MS Access Database’ and immediately a window
>> pops open and it reads ‘Datasource’.  This Window wants me to input a
>> UserName & Password.  Well, I don’t have either of these.  All I’m doing
>> is trying to import data from a small Access DB, with no UserName or
>> Password whatsoever.  Instead of clicking ‘MS Access Database’, if I
>> click ‘Excel Files’, I get exactly the same thing; I get prompted to
>> enter the UserName & Password.  I DON’T HAVE THESE!!  I CAN’T ENTER
>> SOMETHING THAT I DON’T HAVE.  If I click Query > Define ODBC Datasource,
>> it seems like I can setup a new ODBC connection, which presumably, will
>> eliminate the requirement to enter a U & P (which don’t even exist).
>> However, under the ODBC Connections, I only have an option to click ‘Add’
>> and that opens a Window with SQL Server and SQL Native Client.  If I
>> click this, I’m prompted to enter a server name.  That’s fine if I’m
>> pointing to SQL Server, but I’m pointing to Excel & Access; these are
>> files, not servers. What am I missing here?  I’ve seen at least a half
>> dozen demos online where the user clicks Visual Query Builder, then
>> select the data source, and he/she is done in like 10 seconds.  I’ve been
>> struggling with this for several days, and I’ve gotten absolutely
>> nothing, whatsoever, to work.  I must be missing something really simple.
>> Can someone help me get pointed in the right direction, and get this
>> working.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>

> Anyone??  Any idea what may be wrong here?  I read through the Database
> Toolbox - Getting Started instructions.  I'm thinking that something is
> not installed correctly.
> Again, in the Visual Query Builder window, I click Query > Define ODBC
> Data Source, I can see MS Access in the list.  However, if I select it,
> and hit OK, then click Access on the main Visual Query Builder window, I'm
> prompted for a username and password, which I don't have.  It really seems
> like something isn't setup correctly.  Maybe I'm missing a driver, or some
> such thing.  Not sure.  Any ideas, anyone?

I'm not familiar enough with Database Toolbox to be able to answer, and I'm
not sure very many (if any) of the other regulars are, so I recommend you
contact Technical Support using the instructions in my signature for help.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com

0
Steven
4/18/2014 4:44:32 PM
"Steven Lord" <Steven_Lord@mathworks.com> wrote in message <lirkqg$mtf$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> "Ryan " <ryanshuell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Ryan" wrote in message <linnhv$78c$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> >> So, Ive been trying to work with the Visual Query Builder (Toolboxes >
> >> Database) for some time now.  Im making zero progress here.
> >>
> >> Im trying to import some data from MS Access; simple.  In the Visual
> >> Query Builder GUI, I click MS Access Database and immediately a window
> >> pops open and it reads Datasource.  This Window wants me to input a
> >> UserName & Password.  Well, I dont have either of these.  All Im doing
> >> is trying to import data from a small Access DB, with no UserName or
> >> Password whatsoever.  Instead of clicking MS Access Database, if I
> >> click Excel Files, I get exactly the same thing; I get prompted to
> >> enter the UserName & Password.  I DONT HAVE THESE!!  I CANT ENTER
> >> SOMETHING THAT I DONT HAVE.  If I click Query > Define ODBC Datasource,
> >> it seems like I can setup a new ODBC connection, which presumably, will
> >> eliminate the requirement to enter a U & P (which dont even exist).
> >> However, under the ODBC Connections, I only have an option to click Add
> >> and that opens a Window with SQL Server and SQL Native Client.  If I
> >> click this, Im prompted to enter a server name.  Thats fine if Im
> >> pointing to SQL Server, but Im pointing to Excel & Access; these are
> >> files, not servers. What am I missing here?  Ive seen at least a half
> >> dozen demos online where the user clicks Visual Query Builder, then
> >> select the data source, and he/she is done in like 10 seconds.  Ive been
> >> struggling with this for several days, and Ive gotten absolutely
> >> nothing, whatsoever, to work.  I must be missing something really simple.
> >> Can someone help me get pointed in the right direction, and get this
> >> working.
> >>
> >> Thanks!!
> >

> > Anyone??  Any idea what may be wrong here?  I read through the Database
> > Toolbox - Getting Started instructions.  I'm thinking that something is
> > not installed correctly.
> > Again, in the Visual Query Builder window, I click Query > Define ODBC
> > Data Source, I can see MS Access in the list.  However, if I select it,
> > and hit OK, then click Access on the main Visual Query Builder window, I'm
> > prompted for a username and password, which I don't have.  It really seems
> > like something isn't setup correctly.  Maybe I'm missing a driver, or some
> > such thing.  Not sure.  Any ideas, anyone?
>
> I'm not familiar enough with Database Toolbox to be able to answer, and I'm
> not sure very many (if any) of the other regulars are, so I recommend you
> contact Technical Support using the instructions in my signature for help.
>
> --
> Steve Lord
> slord@mathworks.com
> http://www.mathworks.com

I figured it out...sort of...

On this link:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/database/ug/microsoft-access-odbc-windows.html

When I click Add (on Matlab > Database Toolbox) I don't have item #6; I can't add an ODBC connection.  I have SQL Server; nothing else.  That's the whole problem.  Somehow, I need to add an ODBC connection, but how do you do that when it doesn't exist?
0
Ryan
4/18/2014 8:14:10 PM
"Ryan" wrote in message <lis12i$sl9$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> "Steven Lord" <Steven_Lord@mathworks.com> wrote in message <lirkqg$mtf$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> >
> > "Ryan " <ryanshuell@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Anyone??  Any idea what may be wrong here?  I read through the Database
> > > Toolbox - Getting Started instructions.  I'm thinking that something is
> > > not installed correctly.
> > > Again, in the Visual Query Builder window, I click Query > Define ODBC
> > > Data Source, I can see MS Access in the list.  However, if I select it,
> > > and hit OK, then click Access on the main Visual Query Builder window, I'm
> > > prompted for a username and password, which I don't have.  It really seems
> > > like something isn't setup correctly.  Maybe I'm missing a driver, or some
> > > such thing.  Not sure.  Any ideas, anyone?
> >
> > I'm not familiar enough with Database Toolbox to be able to answer, and I'm
> > not sure very many (if any) of the other regulars are, so I recommend you
> > contact Technical Support using the instructions in my signature for help.
> >
> > --
> > Steve Lord
> > slord@mathworks.com
> > To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on
> > http://www.mathworks.com
>

> I figured it out...sort of...
>
> On this link:
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/database/ug/microsoft-access-odbc-windows.html
>
> When I click Add (on Matlab > Database Toolbox) I don't have item #6; I can't add an ODBC connection.  I have SQL Server; nothing else.  That's the whole problem.  Somehow, I need to add an ODBC connection, but how do you do that when it doesn't exist?

I finally figured it out.  I have Matlab 64bit and my version of Office is 32bit.  Damn.  This link explains it.
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/22671-matlab-64-bit-access-32-bit

I can link Matlab to SQL Server only; my version of SQL Server is 2012 Developer...64bit...of course.

Thanks.
0
Ryan
4/18/2014 8:44:14 PM
Rather than using ODBC (which has horrible performance and functionality limitations), consider using a direct JDBC connector. You could then use it to connect to 32-bit apps. Section 2.2 in my Matlab-Java book explains the basics of using JDBC with Matlab.

Yair Altman
http://UndocumentedMatlab.com
Read my Matlab-Java Programming book

0
Yair

Why am I unable to use the Visual Query Builder from the Database Toolbox
When I start the Visual Query Builder (QUERYBUILDER) under Microsoft Windows xp, the tool does not start. Instead, MATLAB displays a dialog box with the following error message: Unable to open ODBC.INI. Reported in Release: matlab2010a Platform: Windows xp "wang feng" <sincerewfeng@163.com> wrote in message <hov9gj$prh$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > When I start the Visual Query Builder (QUERYBUILDER) under Microsoft Windows xp, the tool does not start. Instead, MATLAB displays a dialog box with the following error message: > Unable to open ODBC.INI. >...

please can any one post the matlab script for these s&#8226; generate 100 random number or use the test data provided by the standard; &#8226; write Convolution Encoder using MATLAB script; Then you n
&#8226; generate 100 random number or use the test data provided by the standard; &#8226; write Convolution Encoder using MATLAB script; Then you need to verify the Convolution Encoder by &#8226; calling MATLAB built in Convolution Encoder function ; &#8226; calling MATLAB built in Viterbi Decoder function vinay vish wrote: > &#8226; generate 100 random number or use the test data provided by the standard; > &#8226; write Convolution Encoder using MATLAB script; > Then you need to verify the Convolution Encoder by > &#8226; calling MATLAB built in ...

Using Ruby to get data from an Access Database
Hi guys, I'm very new to this Ruby language. I only have basic experience of creating Intranet applications using ASP and an MS Access Database. I'm trying to adapt some code from the www.Alexa.com 's example code but don't know if what I'm trying to attempt is out of my depth. In its simplicisty this is what i'm trying to achieve, connecting to an access database to return the web addresses for 1,000 firms, using the following Ruby code to query Alexa statistics and then insert the result back into the access database. #/usr/bin/ruby require "cgi" requi...

Excel VBA Query Using Access Database Hangs on 2nd Execute
(I've also posted this problem on microsoft.public.excel.programming) I have a MS Access 2003 Database named "AS400 Fields.mdb". This database contains links to tables on an AS400. In MS Excel 2003, I have VBA code that creates and executes queries using the Access database, and returns the results to an Excel sheet. The first time the query is executed, results are returned to Excel in usually less than 10 seconds. However, if the query is executed a second time (without closing the Excel workbook), the code hangs at the line surrounded by "=",s in the code below ...

how to access data iin a MS Excel file using database components?
Can we read data in columns from an MS Excel file? It is possible to use the usual database components in the Delphi palete to read data in an excel file? but how? ...

Replicate matlab>tstool>Select Data Using Rules>Outlier Detection
I am trying to replicate the matlab>tstool>Select Data Using Rules>Outlier Detection in an m-file. I have tried everything I could think of but, I have not been able to replicate the results based on the help description. Is anyone aware of an m-file that can replicate the results of this function or can expand upon the description of the underlying algorithm? If necessary, I can post the data series I used and all the methods I have tried. Thanks in advance for your help ...

Save JPEG images in SQL as binary BLOB data from MATLAB without using DATABASE toolbox

Oracle JDBC connect problems-ojdbc6.jar using Native Java commands OK from Matlab,but database toolbox not working -pls help with database toolbox configuration
Hi, I am having some trouble using oracle and jdbc drivers. When I use the native java commands it works from Matlab and I can connect to a database, here is how I do this: javaaddpath('T:\tmp\ojdbc6.jar') aa = oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource() aa.setDriverType('thin') aa.setNetworkProtocol('tcp') aa.setDatabaseName('TESTDB') aa.setServerName('192.0.0.1') aa.setPortNumber(1521) aa.setUser('testuser') aa.setPassword('testpassword') aa.setServiceName('TESTING') conn = aa.getConnection() stmt = conn.createState...

Saving Images to Database Using MATLAB Database Toolbox
Hi, I have some JPEGs/Bmps/PNGs that I need to save to a Microsoft ACCESS database to be shown in Reports. I cannot successfully save the pictures using fastinsert. The pictures show up as "Long-Binary Data" in ACCESS, not Bitmap. If I load the picture into ACCESS using ACCESS, it shows as a Bitmap, but I can't save it right from MATLAB. I do it like this: I temporarily save the diagrams to the hard drive as .bmp files. Then I save them to variables in MATLAB using fread, and convert the data to int8 type, and then save them to the database using "fastinsert". Th...

Excel database query does not work after securing an Access database
Hi all, I'd appreciate if someone could give me a hint to this little annoying problem: I have a simple database that I want to be able to query from Excel. When I use the "new database query" wizard on an unsecured version of my database, everything works fine. I am able to read the tables and queries, I can build customized queries in Excel from the Access tables/queries. Now, the moment I secure my database I loose all connectiviity between Excel and Access. The wizard won't even connect to the database. When I add permission to "open/read database" object thr...

How can I get attribute values to not get converted from &apos; to ' or &amp; to & or &lt; to > ?
Hi, my mind is going crazy. I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. I have tried Disable Output Escaping. I tried to think of a way of enclosing the attribute data in a CDATA element. That did not parse. Here is my question: How can I get attribute values to not get converted from &apos; to ' or &amp; to & or &lt; to > ? It seems like if I take the xsl:value-of an attribute and then output that value into another xml it get's converted. The problem is I am importing this stuff into a DB and I need to keep all those &apos; and other escapings.....

Doubt in " HOW TO: Query and Display Excel Data by Using ASP.NET, ADO.NET, and Visual C# .NET"
Hi, In my application, I need to copy data from an Excel file into a SQL table. The article related to this can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B306572 Using this,I am first extracting data from given excel file into a temporary DataTable. After making some operations on that DataTable (like splitting one column into two), I am saving the data into actual table in SQL Server. My doubt is that, in the above given link, there are few steps needed to do on the excel file... eg. --> Highlight the rows and columns where the data resides. --> On the I...

Web resources about - How to use Visual Query Builder (Toolboxes > Database)? Trying to get data from Excel & Access. - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Meet the Trusty, Tasteful Trusco Toolboxes
They've only just arrived but the Trusco Toolboxes have stored our hearts away. We searched high and low for these rare and glamorous tool keepers ...

You No Longer Have to Go to Japan to Buy These Beautiful Blue Toolboxes
Trusco toolboxes have long been an elusive item, something only seen by tasteful travelers who spotted them in Japan. They lusted after them ...

Hacklet 92 – Workbenches and Toolboxes
Everyone needs a place to work. While some of us have well equipped labs with soldering stations, oscilloscopes, and a myriad of other tools, ...

Alpin Drums, A Sextet of Percussionists Who Play Toolboxes While Wearing Traditional Bavarian Garb
Alpin Drums is a German musical sextet who play percussion on various objects– including toolboxes in a video shot by Vimeo user malfecha –while ...

Purge Your "Digital Toolboxes" Yearly to Wipe the Slate Clean and Get More Done
Throughout the course of this year, you likely added all sorts of new things to your digital life. You followed more people on Twitter, added ...

Mini mint tin toolboxes
DIY projects, how-tos, and inspiration from the workshops and minds of geeks, makers, and hackers @ Make: magazine I love these tiny toolboxes ...

ABUSIVE LAB TEST: Toughest Toolboxes….
ABUSIVE LAB TEST: Toughest Toolboxes.

Blind students learn to think like scientists with revolutionary traveling toolboxes
Hands-on, innovative educational material is being developed to help blind students learn about evolution.

Most Toolboxes are Boring, the Coolbox Packs an Integrated Power Bar, Speakers and More
Most toolboxes are designed purely for function, the $179 Coolbox is not only functional, but packs an internal rechargeable battery, Bluetooth ...

Why Disney Interactive dug into a few open-source toolboxes for its cloud
Michael O'Donnell/VentureBeat Peter Lopez (left), the system architect at Disney Interactive, talks about his use of OpenStack and Cloudstack ...