image normalization 385566

Hello Friends,

What is normalization(for image and a signal)?
What I understand is for eg a signal x = [1 3 5 7 9 11].

1) Is it norm_x = x/sum(x) or norm_x = x/sum(|x|). If it is abs values of x, why is it so?

2) In case of images how do I approach this task? Should I first take the normalization of rows and then follow it with that of columns? Or would normalization of rows serve my purpose? Is it then necessary to move into column processing? Would it involve dividing of each pixel by the sum of the row(relevant0 or by the whole image sum?

3) What is the need/use and application of normalization. What data can I get from image normalization?

Regards,
Vinod Karuvat.
0
Vinod
3/4/2010 10:37:23 AM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 206958 articles. 560 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

On 04.03.2010 11:37, Vinod wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>
> What is normalization(for image and a signal)?
> What I understand is for eg a signal x = [1 3 5 7 9 11].
>
> 1) Is it norm_x = x/sum(x) or norm_x = x/sum(|x|). If it is abs values
> of x, why is it so?
>
> 2) In case of images how do I approach this task? Should I first take
> the normalization of rows and then follow it with that of columns? Or
> would normalization of rows serve my purpose? Is it then necessary to
> move into column processing? Would it involve dividing of each pixel by
> the sum of the row(relevant0 or by the whole image sum?
>
> 3) What is the need/use and application of normalization. What data can
> I get from image normalization?

Dear Vinod,

Normalization is a process in which you scale input signal to a full
range of output signal. Thus if your input is in=[0 0.5 10] and output
range is range=[-1,1] you want your input data to be linearly scaled so
that the min(normalize(in))=-1 and max(normalize(in))=1.
For this reason none of the formulas you provided will perform
normalization in the sense as it is widely understood.
One of many possible approaches to signal normalization in Matlab is:
scale = (max(in)-min(in))/(range(2)-range(1));
out = in*scale;
out = out+range(1)-min(out);

2) You should perform image normalization collectively on rows and
colums at the same time (of course, unless you want to perform separate
normalization of each row/column). The code above should also work well
with 2D matrices after replacing max(in) with max(max(in)) (the same
with min) to find the maximum/minimum value in your matrix.

3) I guess you should do some background reading before starting your
work. There are many answers, depending on the application where you
normalize your data. In image processing you may want to do that to
improve image contrast.

--
Robert
0

Printing text, image, text, image, ...
I have bunch of text files (about 20 lines) and bunch of image files. Is there a clean way to print text, then image, then text, then image, ...., as though there are in single continuous document? -- William Park <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>, Toronto, Canada ThinFlash: Linux thin-client on USB key (flash) drive http://home.eol.ca/~parkw/thinflash.html BashDiff: Super Bash shell http://freshmeat.net/projects/bashdiff/ ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.] On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:01:01 -0400, William Park staggered into the Black Sun and said: > I have [a] bu...

Cross Browser Bullet Image Positioning
When I use image as a bullet within LI element I have different image positioning results in Firefox and IE6. IE6 puts the image on top and far from left LI's border. Firefox puts it nicely in the middle and very close to left border. How do I control bullet image positioning? Please advise a nice hack. Thanks On 2008-04-30, vunet <vunet.us@gmail.com> wrote: > When I use image as a bullet within LI element I have different image > positioning results in Firefox and IE6. IE6 puts the image on top and > far from left LI's border. Firefox puts it nicely in the mid...

Menus with images
Hi, anyone knows how to put images on left side of the menu? I'm trying to create a menu like "MS word" with the images. Is there any type of object or aditional control ? Thank you all Guilherme Have a look at: http://www.xs4all.nl/~onkie/coolmenu.html ...

spectral image from elevation image image
Dear friends, I have an elevation satellite image that each pixel in this image has elevation value. For example, if we select one pixe (e.g. image(10,10)= 1300 m) which is the elevation value for this pixel location. I need to convert this elevation image into spectral image so that each pixel will have a spectral value (RGB value). I would apprecaite any comments or suggestions regarding this. Best regards Nadir ...

Problem with an image control
This routine fails intermittently at line 6, when I try to set the Picture property of an Image object. It throws error 2001: You canceled the previous operation. 1. cFile = "D:\logos\" & frm.BrandCode & ".gif" 2. If Dir(cFile) = "" Then 3. frm.imageBrand.Visible = False 4. frm.lblNoImage.Visible = True 5. Else 6. frm.imageBrand.Picture = cFile 7. End If It happens only the first time I load up this form after starting Access. After that, it never happens, even with the same image .gif file. It happens if the code is in the ...

Display ENVI image
Dear IDL fans, Could any of you tell me how to display an ENVI image using IDL statements *ONLY*? I have pasted a sample header of one of my images and few pixel values below. Thanks, Kind regards, Ananth Kini _________________________________________________________________ Ananth Kini, Masters in Computer Science, Dept. of Computer Science Harvey R. Bright Bldg, TAMU, College Station, TX 77843 #4302, College Main, Apt 319, Bryan, TX 77801, Phone : 979-260-1954 kini@tamu.edu ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Header for the image : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ENVI description = { Band Math Result, E...

how to remove a noise in a color image by using vector median filter
hai I am trying to do a vector median filter and also finding PSNE,MAE and SSIM.. i found a formula for median filter and finding psnr.. bur i dont get for vector median filter, MAE and SSIM. if anyone know that, plse give steps or formula for that ...

Filtering a RGB image
Hi all, I captured a video segment of a traffic sign, when travelling through a vehicle. Then I extract the RGB image frames using mmreader() function. This RGB image is bit blurred and noisy. I deblurred the image using "Lucy-Richardson Algorithm". But it is a very slow method. Are there any other fast mehods that I can use for this. Any references...Thanks. regards Prasanna Why does it need deblurring? A stop sign looks very different than a yield sign, etc. Can't you tell what kind of sign it it despite the blurring? Why spend time deblurring if you don't ne...

Re: Image restore fails #3
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote on 08/19/2005 02:16:49 PM: > norm.raphael@metso.com wrote: > > I thought the primary idea of backward-compatibility would be most > > inviolate in a backup restore implementation. > > > It was a bug in backup. Hence the patch to fix the 6.x backup version. > BACKUP 7.2 has no problem with earlier version of image backups. > > So it isn't a sign of bad design. Just a sign of poor quality control in > the 6.x timeframe. Okay. And as was alluded to earlier in the thread, the Installation-CD version wo...

Check Image is over another Image
Hello, is there a way to check if an image is over another image? in javascript hehe thanks :) ...

Debian
This is a continuation of the post "debian 3.0r2 smbfs fails and module not present." I lost that post for some reason so I have to start a new one. What I have: Installing 3.0r2 Woody as fresh install for testing on both a Duron 1K box and an old Pentium 233 box (now I'm focusing on the P233 box). I have performed fresh installs with both the bf2.4 kernel and the 2.2.20 kernel. Both of those install and work fine. At Andreas Janssen's recommendation I re-installed the bf2.4 kernel so dselect could see that it was installed. Then I decide I want to install the...

Importing images from scanner
hi I am working on a project which requires an image to be imported to matlab directly. Basically a have GUI. When i click on the pushbutton i want it to automatically read the image from the scanner ...

creating an image out of multiple images
Hi all, I have some questions regarding image manipulation: - Is it possible add an alpha channel to an image via PHP? - Can I multiply an image with another image creating a new image? I want to create border with transparency around images uploaded to an photalbum. Regards Stijn You could definitely do so using imagemagik but i have no clue on how to do so since I have not really played with it too much. Mike > I have some questions regarding image manipulation: > - Is it possible add an alpha channel to an image via PHP? > - Can I multiply an image with another image creating...

Images in GUI #2
I am making a GUI in which i want to display two images at the sides.I saw the video on Matlabcental about setting background images using imshow() in the CreateFn of the axes created and tried it out. The problem i am facing is that when i close Matlab and run the GUI again or run it on a different PC the axes 'tag' field becomes empty and the visibility is hence 'off'. Every time i have to rename the axes and go to the CreateFn of the axes. I am using R2007b. How can i solve this isssue? "Vaibhav Bedia" <vaibhav.bedia@gmail.com> wrote in message <fmhg3f...

<ask> problem with improve image contrast
i just try to see the image contras, i loaded the file and type >>figure, imhist(x) and error message comes as below ...can someone explain about it ? ??? Function IMHIST expected its first input, I or X, to be two-dimensional. Error in ==> imhist>parse_inputs at 216 iptcheckinput(a, {'double','uint8','logical','uint16','int16','single'}, ... Error in ==> imhist at 57 [a, n, isScaled, top, map] = parse_inputs(varargin{:}); ...

Resolution of an image
Is there a way to get resolution of an image in matlab.(say the image was scanned 300dpi how to get this resolution value using matlab) thanks nlisha ...

Re: Font and Style problems using Image to create bitmaps of Plots/Charts etc #4
Alexey You are correct. If I change "Global Preferences", Formatting Options/Expression Formatting/Graphics Box Options/Graphics Box Options/BaseStyle these font options are picked up by Image. It would still be nice if that was fixed (I guess an issue is that if the kernel is running alone there is no style sheet) but this is a good interim measure. Thank you! Roger ...

Binary Image to Indexed Image to RGB Image
How will we convert binary image to indexed image? And then the indexed image to RGB image in Matlab? ...

how do i check ads/images present on the web page
I need to check all the ads/images present on the webpage.They all are coming from different locations,need to verify ,all images are loading fine,no 404/302 error, also need to check the magic no is coming correctly for that image. you can use http://fanhouse.com as a input url. Thanks, Yogesh [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.] Is this a quiz or a query? Get yourself hpricot, do some scraping using it on irb, and determine some basic heuristics/regexes for figuring out what css paths might refer to ads etc. Jayanth On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM, yog...

mysql and images
Hello everyone, I have a couple questions and I am wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. What I want to do, is the following... Upload an image (most likely jpeg), display it and store it in a mysql db right after upload, without storing a copy on the server and then referencing the file. Have another script that gets the image from the db and displays it once again without storing copies on the server. to upload its just <form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="uphome.php" method = "post"> <input type="hidden" na...

PCB :Image processing
Dear all my friends, I need an image for any PCB to be printed and the image processing code that will identify the points to be drilled, all I need - the image " for any ciruit " - the code to identify the point , that converts the image into points to be printed. after that i will continue my work to these points, that i will chose the sequence of points to be drilled by AI techniques I knew well that it is strange request, but pls. all help me, and help would be appreciate bye ...

Image patient orientaiton and patient orientation tag
Hi all, Can anybody plz tell me the difference between image patient orientation and Patient orientation tag of Dicom. and in our dicom viewer , we have an option to burn media and view the burned image through our media viewer. In the media viewer ,we are using image orientation tag as a indication for flip and rotate applied or not. So my question is Which one we should use image patient Orientation tag or Patient orientation tag for the orientation. Thanks in Advance. On 4/26/12 2:28 PM, nitin.tester wrote: > ...

How is this related to image processing?
Hi, I need to identify or find if a particular pattern( Actually it is hyperbola pattern) is present in an image. Infact, the shape of the hyperbola can again vary as different shapes and sizes. What part of image processing is this related. Can anybody point me to certain topics and resources which will help me do this? Bye "Abhishek" <abhisheksgumadi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1140558743.050963.280350@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I need to identify or find if a particular pattern( Actually it is > hyperbola pattern) is present in an image. Infact...

Rotated GIMP image
Hi All Please can someone help with the following queries 1) I am trying to rotate an image, but all that happens is that it leaves the original image untouched and only rotates a layer. 2) How do I rotate the COMPLETE image and save it such that when opened later, GIMP produces the saved rotated image. Thanks Harvey On 2006-02-19, Harvey <harveypollins@speed-mail.co.uk> wrote: > Hi All > > Please can someone help with the following queries > > 1) I am trying to rotate an image, but all that happens is that it > leaves the original image untouched and only r...

normal sound on i865G ?
hi guys, here is my problem - i have sound on my linux pc, but the quality is realy bad, especialy when playing mp3s - sounds like phone...i use ALSA, tried OSS - no difference :( my mboard is Gigabyte, chipset Intel 865G, AC97 AUDIO on board first i tried Fedora C2, it found everything - video, sound etc... but the sound is like phone :( i tried to change the settings for mpeg layer - no efect, mp3's had very bad quality i any player (i use standart mpeg123 layer) then i've disabled the onboard soundcard and pluged old stereo Genius Crystal CS4281 soundcard - stil no improvement, ...