Inside the MATLAB Desktop Blog on MATLAB Central

Hello,

The MATLAB Desktop team is joining the MATLAB blog community and
recently introduced the "Inside the MATLAB Desktop" blog.  The entire
Desktop development team will be contributing to the content of this
blog to give you information about features that you may not have found
in the product and productivity tips.  We also will introduce new
features as they are released.  The blog can be found over on MATLAB
Central or at the following link:  http://blogs.mathworks.com/desktop/

For more information about who we are and what the "Desktop team" works
on, check out our first entry that I posted last week (it even has a
group picture of us):

http://blogs.mathworks.com/desktop/category/intro/

Also, take a look at our second entry, just posted by Christina, about
moving between functions in the Editor.

http://blogs.mathworks.com/desktop/2007/03/23/moving-between-functions-within-a-file/

Thanks and let us know what you think!
Kristin

--------------------------------------
Kristin Thomas
Software Engineer
The MathWorks, Inc.
kthomas@mathworks.com
--------------------------------------
0
kthomas (218)

Desktop shortcut to matlab, passing a matlab command together with it?
Hi, I have written a gui using matlab. What I would like is a desktop-shortcut to open matlab and start the gui/m-file automatically. Is it possible to startup this gui from e.g. a dos-prompt-shortcut AND to pass a matlab command along with it? Thanks for any info. joris wrote: > Hi, > > I have written a gui using matlab. What I would like is a > desktop-shortcut to open matlab and start the gui/m-file > automatically. > > Is it possible to startup this gui from e.g. a dos-prompt-shortcut AND > to pass a matlab command along with it? > > Thanks for...

Create (Matlab) object inside C/C++ and pass it to Matlab
I'm trying to create an object inside C++ and then pass it to Matlab via en= gPutVariable. It seems I can create a struct // Create a float array mxArray *acq_data =3D mxCreateNumericMatrix(0, 0, mxSINGLE_CLASS); float *data =3D (float *)mxCalloc(M*N, sizeof(float)); mxSetData(acq_data, data); mxSetM(acq_data, M); mxSetN(acq_data, N); // Convert to struct const char *fieldname =3D "data"; mxArray *acq_struct =3D mxCreateStructMatrix(1,1,1, &fieldname); mxSetField(acq_struct,i,"data",acq_data); // Convert to class ?? Does it work? if (j=3D=3D1...

parallel matlab
Hi all, I'm going to work on a project involving a parallel version of MATLAB - I'm aware of various efforts like MATLAB-*P and so on Right now I need to read up on some material regarding MATLAB internals eg: How are the ATLAS(or is it BLAS) routines called in MATLAB? How does MATLAB's C code store information in memory, cache'ing etc? How is one to get at those? Do you know of any suitable reference(s)/resource(s)? Thank you very much, Aravind ...

Matlab plots outside Matlab
I'm making an end-user application where I would like to use Matlab functionality both for calculation and plotting. Matlabs GUI builder guide does not satisfy my needs (no support for f.ex. internal frames and other nescessities), so I'm planning to compile my Matlab code and use other API (Java, QT or something) for GUI. My problem is then, that I loose access to the neat plotting commands availible under matlab GUI... Is there a way of integrating Matlabs plot functionality into another GUI system? - has it been done? - I appreciate any response! - P�l Berge ...

Calling Compiled MATLAB from MATLAB
Hello everyone, How do I compile MATLAB M files into a form that can then be called from within the MATLAB interpreter? A roundabout way would seem to be to (somehow) Turn the matlab code into C (I think mcc does this), then compile this C code into MEX format and call that. Is there an easier way? I have the MATLAB compiler, so I just need to know what to do with it to get this to work. Thanks in advance, Sina sina.tootoonian wrote: > > > Hello everyone, > > How do I compile MATLAB M files into a form that can then be called > from within the MATLAB interpreter? A roundabout way would seem to > be > to (somehow) Turn the matlab code into C (I think mcc does this), > then > compile this C code into MEX format and call that. Is there an > easier > way? I have the MATLAB compiler, so I just need to know what to do > with > it to get this to work. > > Thanks in advance, > > Sina > > HELP MEX > HELP MEX Or, better, HELP MCC help pcode pseudo code is useful to obfuscate code - protect algorithms, yet still run at full speed and be distributable to other matlab users sina.tootoonian wrote: > > > Hello everyone, > > How do I compile MATLAB M files into a form that can then be called > from within the MATLAB interpreter? A roundabout way would seem to > be > to (somehow) Turn the matlab code into C (I think mcc does this), > then > compile this C code into MEX format and call that...

Matlab
Hello , I'm a new user in Matlab. So should you advise matlab notes , documentation please ? <azatserver113@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7b4e75e2-40c6-43bb-acc6-2553123ba649@googlegroups.com... > Hello , > > I'm a new user in Matlab. So should you advise matlab notes , > documentation please ? > At the MATLAB command prompt type this command: doc This will show the documentation included as part of your installation. I recommend reading through the Getting Started section of the MATLAB documentation first, and executing the examp...

matlab
any one please can help me sploving the following question 1________Given the causal system y[n] =3D 0.9y[n-1] + x[n], find H(z) and sketch the pole-zero plot. See the functions roots.m and zplane.m. 2___ Plot the magnitude and phase of H(z) on the frequency axis from 0 =E2=80=93 =EF=81=B0, or normalized frequency 0 - 1, and label the graphs. S= ee the freqz.m command. hani_al_yazidi@hotmail.com wrote: > any one please can help me sploving the following question > > > 1________Given the causal system > > y[n] = 0.9y[n-1] + x[n], > > find H(z) and sketch the pole-zero plot. See the functions roots.m and > zplane.m. > > 2___ Plot the magnitude and phase of H(z) on the frequency axis from 0 > – , or normalized frequency 0 - 1, and label the graphs. See the > freqz.m command. It looks like homework. State what you tried and what error messages you got and someone who knows Matlab will probably help. We try not to do homework here, but (like gods) we do help those who help themselves. Jerry -- Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get. ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯&...

can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab
can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab in windows platform?.if yes , how is the performance better ? please do answer this question thank u "Gangamma " <gangvsng@gmail.com> wrote in message <hvmr7h$sn0$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab in windows platform?.if yes , how is the performance better ? Yes, Matlab program written in 32/64 bits are compatible accepted MEX file. 64-bit version can handle larger array but does *NOT* improve speed. Br...

can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab #2
can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab in windows platform?.if yes , how is the performance better ? please do answer this question thank u ...

Writing a Matlab add-on in a Matlab clone?
What is the best Matlab clone and is it good enough to write Matlab software in? I'd like to use one of these free clones to start writing Matlab add-ons. I am aware of Scilab and GNU Octave. The former seems to be more popular. -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy The F#.NET Journal http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_journal/?usenet Jon Harrop wrote: > > > > What is the best Matlab clone and is it good enough to write Matlab > software > in? > > I'd like to use one of these free clones to start writing Matlab > add-ons. I > am aware ...

Matlab R2006b compatability with Matlab R14?
I am trying to execute some code (a mixture of C++ and Matlab) that was delivered to me. The Matlab code was originally developed under Matlab R14. I have Matlab R2006b installed on my system. When I attempt to execute the program, I get the following message: I18N Runtime warning: Missing ICU data file detected while processing $(MATLAB)/bin/$(ARCH). Hint: Check for a misconfigured environment or installation. When I look in the referenced directory, there does appear to be an ICU related .dat file. Any ideas as to what could be causing this runtime warning? Thanks. ...

Matlab comiler and simple matlab function
I am trying to create an exe from a matlab function which doubles the number you give it. matlab function: test.m function [output] = test (number) %return double the input number output = 2*number; disp(output); run matlab compiler at command line with: mcc -mv test.m with the resulting exe: test.exe However when I run it at DOS prompt: test 1 I am returned a value of 98. I thought that maybe this was some octal description of the output, but 98 oct is not 2 decimal. Some other results it returned: C:\Documents and Settings\alex\Desktop\lighttrans\Frank Work \test...

Matlab compiler for Matlab 5.2
I'm looking for matlab compiler for matlab 5.2 for Mac computers. I wasn't able to find anywhere because the Mathworks doesn't produce it. Do you know were I may find it? Thanks ...

shutdown matlab.exe when matlab is not in use
Hi, I've noticed everytime I start my computer, matlab.exe starts automatically and consumes a considerable amount of memory space which slows down my computer. Is there an option to prevent this process from starting automatically each time my computer starts. I have Windows XP operating system. I have matlab 6.5. Thanks. Fenisol3 puffy_blake wrote: > Hi, > I've noticed everytime I start my computer, matlab.exe starts automatically > and consumes a considerable amount of memory space which slows down my > computer. Is there an option to prevent this process from starti...

MATLAB 6 to MATLAB 7 changes
I am looking for information here on the MathWorks website about the changes between MATLAB 6 and MATLAB 7. Specifically, I am looking for information about changes in the handling of .mat files. For example if I have a mat-file: example.mat located in the MATLAB current directory. In MATLAB 7 I can load this data-file into the MATLAB workspace with: >> load example And it loads fine. If I type the above load command in MATLAB 6 I get and error. Is there anything that provides the technical information for this? Thanks Dave Dave wrote: > I am looking for information here on t...

Matlab Engine with Matlab Runtime Component ?
Hi, I have a c++ application which uses Matlab engine to save data for further use with Matlab. I need to distribute the application to users that do not have Matlab. Is there a way tp use Matlab Engine with Matlab Runtime Component ? How should I change the compilation to do it ? Thanks, Ofra ...

Matlab 6.5 to matlab 7
hi, i want to upgrade my Matlab 6.5 to Matlab7, will it cause any effects to the M-files that i saved before? Or do I need to uninstall the Matlab 6.5 first before installing the Matlab 7? regards, blur On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:03:13 +0000, Blur wrote: > hi, > i want to upgrade my Matlab 6.5 to Matlab7, will it cause any effects > to the M-files that i saved before? See http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/rn/r14sp1_a.html for information on changes to the Matlab programming language that may affect old m-files. For the most part the changes are minor, and most ...

MATLAB Daemon
Hi! Is it posible to make a Daemon in MATLAB so that i can access a shared memory between MATLAB and .NET? I ask this because every method i've tryied to call MATLAB functions from .NET are really slow, mostly the call process (because i call the function about 300.000-1.000.000 times in a small time lapse. I thought that using a Daemon using shared memory between my .NET app and MATLAB would make that performance bottleneck almost dissapear. Any other ideas are really appreciated. By the way, is it posible to open a socket in MATLAB? That would be another possible solution, less performa...

How does matlab do this ?
Hello , I run some matrix product from the command windows then I put that code in a m-file. I didn't get the same timing !! in the command window i have : >> a=rand(700,700); >> b=rand(700,700); >> tic;c=a*b;toc Elapsed time is 0.313000 seconds. >> tic;c=a'*b;toc Elapsed time is 0.343000 seconds. >> tic;c=a*b';toc Elapsed time is 0.344000 seconds. >> tic;c=a*a;toc Elapsed time is 0.328000 seconds. >> tic;c=a'*a;toc Elapsed time is 0.343000 seconds. >> tic;c=a*a';toc Elapsed time is 0.343000 seconds. Conclusion : We got alway...

dock a matlab figure in another matlab figure
I have an easy questions for you expert of matlab. I need to dock a matlab figure in another figure. What is the procedure ??? Thanks for your precious help, Chris Chris wrote: > I need to dock a matlab figure in another figure. Hi, AFAIK, you can't. J�r�me J�r�me wrote: > Chris wrote: > >> I need to dock a matlab figure in another figure. > > Hi, > > AFAIK, you can't. > > J�r�me there's something "similar" since matlab 7 (afaik). however, i don't know how to control this from a program: - open two figures - on each, cli...

Control of Matlab event loop from C or Matlab
I was wondering if there is a way to control Matlab event loop? Is there a way to make Matlab be able to respond to key presses in Matlab GUI or call from C (via engine) and to either pause or stop its execution. I know that Matlab can execute items on its 'event queue' when pause() or drawnow() etc are called, but that means that I have to explicitly put those in the code. Is there some way that would be more elegant? Second question is about the 'event queue.' How does one add things to the event queue? How can I add a call from, say, C engine such as evalString() to the ev...

call to matlab function from matlab GUI stalls
I have the following problem. I have created a simple Matlab GUI (for our purposes it can just be considered a Matlab function) which gathers some parameters and then invokes a perl script that in turn calls other perl and Matlab scripts to perform various calculations. If instead of using the Matlab GUI, I run the perl command from the unix prompt, the flow runs and concludes correctly. BUT if I invoke the flow from the Matlab GUI (function), then it runs correctly by calling various other perl and Matlab scripts, but then when it reaches the third Matlab function call, it consistently stalls...

Re: Matlab scripts are not working with matlab 7
Dear Jon Bowers I am facing the same problem with Matlab 7.&nbsp; Is there any permanent solution? Please let me know about the same. Regards, Basanta ...

Web resources about - Inside the MATLAB Desktop Blog on MATLAB Central - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Virtual desktop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... a virtualized environment between the computer platform and its operating system, see Virtual machine . For virtual machines running desktop ...

Polarr Photo Editor gets a Windows 7+ desktop release
Popular mobile and browser-based image editor Polarr Photo Editor is now available in a desktop edition for Windows 7 and later. A Free build ...

Smart Reply in Desktop Google Inbox
... Inbox service has a feature that suggests 3 short replies. It was first added to the Inbox mobile apps and now it's available in the desktop ...

This Russian all-in-one desktop is just quirky enough to attract attention
... left over from 1999. The latest entrant seems more promising but is still one to file under "curiosity." It's a 21.5-inch all-in-one desktop ...

Opera's desktop web browser gets built-in ad blocking
If you use a major desktop web browser, you usually have to hunt down an ad blocking add-on if you're determined to purge intrusive promos from ...

Computer Sales Continue to Evolve Away From Desktop PCs, Says Report
As desktop PC sales continue to fade, steady sales of laptops and portables appear to debunk the idea that PCs are dead, the report finds.

AMD launches XConnect, partners with Intel, Razer to drive desktop gaming on laptops
AMD's XConnect is designed to bridge the gap between mobile and desktop-class gaming hardware and give gamers the advantages of both.

AMD Enhances Its Desktop Processor Lineup, Which Could Help Increase Its Market Share
Earlier this week, AMD expanded its desktop processor lineup with new processors that deliver superior performance, features, and near-silent ...

Issue references and @mentions for GitHub Desktop
GitHub Desktop on both Windows and Mac now provides suggestions when mentioning team members, referencing Issues, and adding more to your commit ...

Here's How a Desktop Will Look in Virtual Reality
Good, desktop-compatible VR headsets are just about ready to ship to average consumers. In addition to all the demos of skydiving and porn, people ...