Is there a way to run Matlab 7 mex dll under Matlab 2007a?

Hi all,

Does Mathworks have back-ward compatibilities for mex dlls which were
created in the earlier versions of Matlab?

I have downloaded a trial copy of NAG Matlab Foundation toolbox. But
it was created using earlier version of Matlab(they claim it was
tested to be okay for Matlab 6 and 7. I guess the dlls were created
using Matlab before 7.0.4.

But I want to use it under my current Matlab 2007a. When running their
dll, I got:

??? Invalid MEX-file 'C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\toolbox\nag\nag
\nagc.dll': The specified procedure could not be found.
---------------

After googling for reasons and solutions, I concluded the versioning
incompatibility is the most possible reason.

I don't think NAG is supporting this product for Matlab 2007a.

Does anybody have a workaround?

Thanks!

0
lunamoonmoon (258)
7/29/2007 6:18:17 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 17 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:18:17 -0700, Luna Moon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does Mathworks have back-ward compatibilities for mex dlls which were
> created in the earlier versions of Matlab?

You mean forward-compatibility?  In general, older mex files should work
fine with newer versions.  Every now and then things break though.  A lot
of times mex files created in newer versions work fine in older versions
too.

> I have downloaded a trial copy of NAG Matlab Foundation toolbox. But it
> was created using earlier version of Matlab(they claim it was tested to
> be okay for Matlab 6 and 7. I guess the dlls were created using Matlab
> before 7.0.4.
>
> But I want to use it under my current Matlab 2007a. When running their
> dll, I got:
>
> ??? Invalid MEX-file 'C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\toolbox\nag\nag
> \nagc.dll': The specified procedure could not be found. ---------------
>
> After googling for reasons and solutions, I concluded the versioning
> incompatibility is the most possible reason.

That could be.  Too bad the error message wasn't a little more
informative to say which procedure couldn't be found.

> I don't think NAG is supporting this product for Matlab 2007a.
>
> Does anybody have a workaround?

If it is a version incompatibility, the only solution would be to either
get an update of NAG, or run an older version of Matlab.

Dan

>??? Invalid MEX-file 'C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\toolbox\nag\nag
>\nagc.dll': The specified procedure could not be found.
>---------------

FYI, I got the exact same error message when trying to run a mex
routine compiled with 2007a under 2006b. I contacted the Mathworks and
they informed me that it was a version incompatibility problem. 2007a
compiled mex files were not guaranteed to run under 2006a, or any
other version. You will probably be forced to recompile using the
other version of MATLAB.

0
aklassyguy (21)
7/31/2007 4:47:00 AM
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 04:47:00 +0000, James Tursa wrote:

>>??? Invalid MEX-file 'C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\toolbox\nag\nag
>>\nagc.dll': The specified procedure could not be found. ---------------
>
> FYI, I got the exact same error message when trying to run a mex routine
> compiled with 2007a under 2006b. I contacted the Mathworks and they
> informed me that it was a version incompatibility problem. 2007a
> compiled mex files were not guaranteed to run under 2006a, or any other
> version. You will probably be forced to recompile using the other
> version of MATLAB.

Another fairly annoying thing is that in R2007b p-code will also no
longer be backward compatible.

Dan