linspace(2,2,2) returns [2 2] ??

May be the help for linspace should change?

It says:

"LINSPACE(X1, X2, N) generates N points between X1 and X2."

Notice, it says BETWEEN.

But when I ask for 2 points, between 2 and 2:

----------------
EDU>> linspace(2,2,2)

ans =

      2     2
---------------

May be mathematically this is ok? i.e. there are infinite points between
the point and itself? (on the real line), but from programming point of
view, it is confusing. no?

--Nasser
1
Nasser

Maybe it should say "generates N points between X1 and X2, inclusive."

What did you expect to get back as an answer from issuing linspace(2,2,2)?

I didn't understand your statement "there are infinite points between the point and itself?"  How do you have an infinite number of points between 2 and 2?   I can see an infinite number of points between 2 and something that's not itself, like 2.00000000000000001, but if they are absolutely perfectly identical how are you getting an infinite number of points?
-1
Image
10/10/2010 6:16:04 PM
On 10/10/2010 11:16 AM, Image Analyst wrote:
> Maybe it should say "generates N points between X1 and X2, inclusive."
>
> What did you expect to get back as an answer from issuing linspace(2,2,2)?

I was just not expecting it to "work". may be an error message. That is
not the point. The point is that it did work.

> I didn't understand your statement "there are infinite points between the point and itself?"
 > How do you have an infinite number of points between 2 and 2?

But that is my point. How come? Matlab says so.  Ask matlab for one
million points between 2 2 and it will return one million points between
2 and 2.

I am was trying to possibly given some hand waving pure mathematical
justification of why Matlab did that. The idea is that some pure math
person could argue that there are infinite points on the real point. No
matter how small the delta gets, there are still infinite more point.
But since we are on a real discrete machine, this should not apply.

I was not supporting what linespace does, merely trying to think
out-loud what was in the mind of who wrote it to work this way.

>I can see an infinite number of points between 2 and something that's not itself.

Exactly. That is why I posted this. So you agree with me that there is
"something" wrong here. May be we agree that the documentation needs to
be more clear to justify this result.

--Nasser
1
Nasser
10/10/2010 6:37:26 PM
"Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org> wrote in message <i8sv1m$5k3$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> May be the help for linspace should change?
>
> It says:
>
> "LINSPACE(X1, X2, N) generates N points between X1 and X2."

I understand they are "linearly equally spaced" from the previous sentence of the help. i.e., it will returns (for N>=2):

y(k) = X1+(k-1)*(X2-X1)/(N-1), for k=1,...N

If I plug X1 = 2, X2 = 2, and N = 2 It will returns y(1)=2 and y(2) =2. It looks perfectly consistent to me.

The help says it returns "N points in between" (of the closed-inverval), it does not claims there are at least "N *distinct* points in between". So I don't see any problem mathematically either.

Bruno
0
Bruno
10/10/2010 6:53:04 PM
On 10/10/2010 11:53 AM, Bruno Luong wrote:

> The help says it returns "N points in between" (of the closed-inverval),
 > it does not claims there are at least "N *distinct* points in between".

For me, "in between" implies distinct points.

"between" implies a delta, hence different points, hence distinct.

You said yourself, there can't be points between a point and itself.

Hence, the points returned must be distinct points.

> Bruno

--Nasser
0
Nasser
10/10/2010 7:08:30 PM
"Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org> wrote in message <i8t2vb$gkl$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 10/10/2010 11:53 AM, Bruno Luong wrote:
>

> > The help says it returns "N points in between" (of the closed-inverval),
>  > it does not claims there are at least "N *distinct* points in between".
>
> For me, "in between" implies distinct points.
>
> "between" implies a delta, hence different points, hence distinct.

Mathematically, a point X is in between A and B if

A<=X<=B

> You said yourself, there can't be points between a point and itself.

Did I said that?

Bruno
0
Bruno
10/10/2010 7:14:04 PM
"Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org> wrote in message <i8t153$asm$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 10/10/2010 11:16 AM, Image Analyst wrote:
> > What did you expect to get back as an answer from issuing linspace(2,2,2)?
> >

> I was just not expecting it to "work". may be an error message. That is
> not the point. The point is that it did work.

If you were the programmer to program up linspace, what you *you* do?  Sounds like you would throw an exception if someone passed in X1 = X2.  I'm not sure I or others would like that, especially since you can always check for this situation before calling linespace:
if abs(X1-X2) < eps
  warndlg()
else
  linspace()
end
It doesn't seem right to generate an error for those who have no problem with the way it operates.  You always have the choice to check, but why remove the choice to use it that way for them?
0
Image

Sorry, mixed you up with ImageAnalyst, who said:

" I can see an infinite number of points between 2 and something that's
not itself"

Was not looking too carfully on who I was answering.

--Nasser
0
Nasser
10/10/2010 7:59:52 PM
On 10/10/2010 12:40 PM, Image Analyst wrote:
> "Nasser M. Abbasi"<nma@12000.org>  wrote in message<i8t153$asm$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
>> On 10/10/2010 11:16 AM, Image Analyst wrote:
>>> What did you expect to get back as an answer from issuing linspace(2,2,2)?
>>>

>> I was just not expecting it to "work". may be an error message. That is
>> not the point. The point is that it did work.
>

> If you were the programmer to program up linspace, what you *you* do?

But that is NOT the point.

You are jumping on an implementation issue.

First, we decide if the "behavior" is correct based on the
specification/documentation.

Next, if we agree that the "behavior" is inconsistent with the the
specification/documentation, then the next point is what to do.

We can measure the cost of making it behave as documented in this case,
vs. leaving things the way they are and may be improve the documentation.

You already jumped on the cost of changing the implementation, before we
agreed that the  "behavior" is not consistent with the specifications.

For me, what to do, is a separate design issue, I am merely pointing
what I think is an inconsistent behavior of a function. That is all.

>Sounds like you would throw an exception if someone passed in X1 = X2.  I'm not sure I or others would
 >like that, especially since you can always check for this situation
before calling linespace:
> if abs(X1-X2)<  eps
>    warndlg()
> else
>    linspace()
> end
> It doesn't seem right to generate an error for those who have no problem with the way it operates.
 > You always have the choice to check, but why remove the choice to use
it that way for them?

You already suggested what I would, and then starting to argue that what
I would not is not right? You'd make a good lawyer :)

--Nasser
0
Nasser
10/10/2010 8:09:26 PM

> May be the help for linspace should change?
>
> It says:
>
> "LINSPACE(X1, X2, N) generates N points between X1 and X2."
>

> Notice, it says BETWEEN.
>
> But when I ask for 2 points, between 2 and 2:
>
> ----------------
> EDU>> linspace(2,2,2)
>
> ans =
>
>      2     2
> ---------------
>
> May be mathematically this is ok? i.e. there are infinite points between
> the point and itself? (on the real line), but from programming point of
> view, it is confusing. no?

linspace(x1, x2, N) returns a 1-by-max(0, N) vector containing N equally
spaced points.  If N > 0, the first element of the vector is x1; if N > 1
then the last element of the vector is x2.  If x1 == x2, then the equal
spacing between points is 0 and the vector will consist of N copies of x1.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com

0
slord (13689)
10/11/2010 3:45:33 AM
"Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org> wrote in message <i8t2vb$gkl$1@speranza.aioe.org>...

> "between" implies a delta, hence different points, hence distinct.

It seems like you describe "colon" operator. No where LINSPACE documentation states it must ensure a strictly positive step, thus distinct output.

In fact the second input can be larger or smaller or EQUAL than the first input. The output are linear spaced between then regardless which one is larger.

The doc is perfectly consistent.

Bruno
0
Bruno
10/11/2010 6:08:04 AM
This might be more subtle and worth to explain to students:

>> a=linspace(1,1+eps);
>> length(a)

ans =

   100

>> length(unique(a))

ans =

     2
>> sum(a==1)

ans =

    50

>> sum(a==1+eps)

ans =

    50

% Bruno
0
Bruno
10/11/2010 6:17:04 AM
In article <i8u18u$9oh$1@fred.mathworks.com>,
Steven_Lord <slord@mathworks.com> wrote:
>linspace(x1, x2, N) returns a 1-by-max(0, N) vector containing N equally
>spaced points.  If N > 0, the first element of the vector is x1; if N > 1
>then the last element of the vector is x2.  If x1 == x2, then the equal
>spacing between points is 0 and the vector will consist of N copies of x1.

I don't see how it could be more logical (or simple) than this.

Francis
0
fburton
10/11/2010 10:24:44 AM
On Oct 11, 6:24=A0am, fbur...@nyx.net (Francis Burton) wrote:
> In article <i8u18u$9o...@fred.mathworks.com>,
>
> Steven_Lord <sl...@mathworks.com> wrote:
> >linspace(x1, x2, N) returns a 1-by-max(0, N) vector containing N equally
> >spaced points. =A0If N > 0, the first element of the vector is x1; if N =
> 1
> >then the last element of the vector is x2. =A0If x1 =3D=3D x2, then the =
equal
> >spacing between points is 0 and the vector will consist of N copies of x=
1.

> I don't see how it could be more logical (or simple) than this.

It's more complicates than that

>> for i =3D -2:3, linspace(2,2,i),end

ans =3D     2
ans =3D     2
ans =3D     2
ans =3D     2
ans =3D     2     2
ans =3D     2     2     2

>> for i =3D -2:3, linspace(2,1,i),end

ans =3D     1
ans =3D     1
ans =3D     1
ans =3D     1
ans =3D     2    1
ans =3D     2    1.5    1

Hope this helps.

Greg
0
Greg
10/13/2010 1:32:27 AM
In article <aae9a4af-8b70-4b0a-8af5-e438961d8649@u10g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
Greg Heath  <heath@alumni.brown.edu> wrote:
>On Oct 11, 6:24?am, fbur...@nyx.net (Francis Burton) wrote:
>> In article <i8u18u$9o...@fred.mathworks.com>,
>>
>> Steven_Lord <sl...@mathworks.com> wrote:
>> >linspace(x1, x2, N) returns a 1-by-max(0, N) vector containing N equally
>> >spaced points. ?If N > 0, the first element of the vector is x1; if N > 1
>> >then the last element of the vector is x2. ?If x1 == x2, then the equal
>> >spacing between points is 0 and the vector will consist of N copies of x1.
>>
>> I don't see how it could be more logical (or simple) than this.
>
>It's more complicates than that
>
>>> for i = -2:3, linspace(2,2,i),end
>
>ans =     2
>ans =     2
>ans =     2
>ans =     2
>ans =     2     2
>ans =     2     2     2
>

>>> for i = -2:3, linspace(2,1,i),end
>
>ans =     1
>ans =     1
>ans =     1
>ans =     1
>ans =     2    1
>ans =     2    1.5    1
>
>Hope this helps.

So would you change the documentation or the implementation,
and how?

Francis
0
fburton
10/13/2010 12:28:56 PM
Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> May be the help for linspace should change?
>
> It says:
>
> "LINSPACE(X1, X2, N) generates N points between X1 and X2."
>

> Notice, it says BETWEEN.
>
> But when I ask for 2 points, between 2 and 2:
>
> ----------------
> EDU>> linspace(2,2,2)
>
> ans =
>
>      2     2
> ---------------
>
> May be mathematically this is ok? i.e. there are infinite points between
> the point and itself? (on the real line), but from programming point of
> view, it is confusing. no?

IMO, no, not really.

Although, perhaps it could say "on the range of x1 to x2" instead and be
more precise.

dpb
10/13/2010 12:48:03 PM
Dear Nasser,

> "LINSPACE(X1, X2, N) generates N points between X1 and X2."

What about this:
"LINSPACE(X1, X2, N) generates N equally spaced points from X1 to X2."
(as ever, I'm not sure if this is correct English)

Anyhow, this mathematically vague help text does not seem to be a problem for a lot of Matlab users. In opposite to that the functional form of SAVE ("save('FileName', 'Variable')") is described exactly and correctly in the help section, but you can find a pile of posts conerning this in CSSM.

Jan
0
Jan
10/13/2010 1:33:11 PM
On Oct 13, 8:28 am, fbur...@nyx.net (Francis Burton) wrote:
> In article <aae9a4af-8b70-4b0a-8af5-e438961d8...@u10g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
> Greg Heath  <he...@alumni.brown.edu> wrote:
> >On Oct 11, 6:24?am, fbur...@nyx.net (Francis Burton) wrote:

> >> I don't see how it could be more logical (or simple) than this.
>
> >It's more complicates than that

> >ans =     2
> >ans =     2
> >ans =     2
> >ans =     2
> >ans =     2     2
> >ans =     2     2     2

> >ans =     1
> >ans =     1
> >ans =     1
> >ans =     1
> >ans =     2    1
> >ans =     2    1.5    1
>
> >Hope this helps.
>
> So would you change the documentation or the implementation,
> and how?

Current version

>> help linspace

 LINSPACE  Linearly spaced vector.
    LINSPACE(X1, X2) generates a row vector of 100 linearly
    equally spaced points between X1 and X2.

    LINSPACE(X1, X2, N) generates N points between X1 and X2.
    For N < 2, LINSPACE returns X2.

    See also LOGSPACE, :.

Modification

 LINSPACE  Vector with equally spaced elements.

    LINSPACE(X1, X2) generates a row vector of 100 equally
     spaced points between X1 and X2, inclusive.

    LINSPACE(X1, X2, N) returns X2 for N < 2.

    For N >=2, LINSPACE(X1, X2, N) generates a row vector
    of floor(N) equally spaced points between X1 and
    X2, inclusive.

    See also LOGSPACE, :.

Hope this helps.

Greg
0
Greg

2 * 2 * 2 * 2 or pow(2, 4)?
Hi , I hope this isn't too trivial to ask, but I'm evaluating a polynomial that involve lots of terms like x^2y^2z^3, and although I can use the power function pow(a, b), I wonder if just writing x*x*y*y*z*z*z for example wouldn't be more efficient than pow(x, 2)*pow(y, 2)*pow(z,3). Or is it all the same? Thanks, - Olumide Olumide wrote: > I hope this isn't too trivial to ask, but I'm evaluating a polynomial > that involve lots of terms like x^2y^2z^3, and although I can use the > power function pow(a, b), I wonder if just writing x*x*y*y*z*z*z for > exam...

VIBE 2.2 #2
About: Visual Information Broker Enterprise (VIBE) is an IDE that enables application developers to automate the design and development of infrastructure components for complex distributed cross-platform, cross-language systems applications. You can define messages and generate infrastructure support code for the IBM MQ information bus, Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, and other JDBC compliant databases, XML with transformations that use tools like XSL, and J2EE. It also includes a fully functional Business Rules engine, along with a graphical programming environment. Changes: This relea...

OTM 2.2 #2
Hi all Just installed OTM on a cust pc (Win XP) Got a problem that when using the system terminal to access Meridian Mail, I am unable to exit from mail as the Cntrl ] function is not recognised. Now is this a problem with OTM or with the customers PC? Thanks Solved it. The term type was set to VT100 and not VT220 ...

Does 4/2/2= (4/2)/2 =1 OR = 4/(2/2)=4
I don't have matlab and I am trying to translate some simple matlab code. Does 4/2/2 = (4/2)/2 = 1 or 4/2/2 = 4/(2/2) = 4 On 9/11/2012 9:43 AM, sarah.englander@gmail.com wrote: > I don't have matlab and I am trying to translate some simple matlab code. > > Does 4/2/2 = (4/2)/2 = 1 yes. At a given precedence level (and obviously two of the same operators are the same level) evaluation proceeds from LtoR. ....snip... <http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_prog/f0-40063.html#f0-38155> -- dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <k2njh1$jes$1@speranza.aioe.org>... > On 9/11/2012 9:43 AM, sarah.englander@gmail.com wrote: > > I don't have matlab and I am trying to translate some simple matlab code. > > > > Does 4/2/2 = (4/2)/2 = 1 > > yes. At a given precedence level (and obviously two of the same > operators are the same level) evaluation proceeds from LtoR. > > ...snip... > > <http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_prog/f0-40063.html#f0-38155> > > -- There are a few thing you need to understand: 1. You need to get matlab in order to translate the simple code 2. You should define your parameters as in what is the expected output of your search based on the equations used: Is it : a) 4/2/2 b) (4/2/2) On 9/11/2012 11:13 PM, Salvinder wrote: .. > There are a few thing you need to understand: > 1. ...

Printing 2^1, 2^2, 2^3, 2^4 and 2^5
Hi, When I use a while loop, the output is: 2 4 8 16 32, as desired: <?php $c=1; while($c<=5) { $d = newpow(2, $c); print "$d "; $c++; } function newpow($base, $power) { // statements... } ?> The But when I use a for loop, the output is: 64: <?php for($c=1; $c<=5; $c++); { $d = newpow(2, $c); print "$d "; } function newpow($base, $power) { // statements... } ?> Why is this?? Many thanks, Michael mejpark wrote: > When I use a while loop, the output is: 2 4 8 16 32, as desired: [...] > The But when I use a for loop, the output is: 64: > > <?php > > for($c=1; $c<=5; $c++); Here your loop ended right at the ; After the loop comes this: > { > $d = newpow(2, $c); > print "$d "; > } Heiko -- http://portal.richler.de/ Namensportal zu Richler http://www.richler.de/ Heiko Richler: Computer - Know How! http://www.richler.info/ private Homepage On 18 Mar, 11:02, Heiko Richler <heiko-rich...@nefkom.net> wrote: > mejpark wrote: > > When I use a while loop, the output is: 2 4 8 16 32, as desired: > [...] > > The But when I use a for loop, the output is: 64: > > > <?php > > > for($c=1; $c<=5; $c++); > > Here your loop ended right at the ; > > After the loop comes this: > > > { > > $d = newpow(2, $c); > > print "$d "; > > } > > Heiko > > --http://portal.richler.d...

2 or not 2
is this a question! http://members.iinet.net.au/~moussa/Image029.jpg Should I? the in house auction is tomorrow :-/ Moussa -- The information contained in this post is copyright of the poster, and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com Il Wed, 09 Sep 2009 16:13:08 +0800, Cheers ha scritto: > is this a question! > > http://members.iinet.net.au/~moussa/Image029.jpg > > Should I? the in house auction is tomorrow :-/ > > Moussa I don't know it but it's BIG ! Do you have free space ? How much, do you think, it will cost ? Could be a nice addiction, but let's listen to someone else... On Sep 9, 4:13 am, Cheers <moussa...@hotmail.com> wrote: > http://members.iinet.net.au/~moussa/Image029.jpg Personally, I'm not that fond of Sun equipment, so I haven't paid that much attention to their offerings. My guess is that the rack is a storage array, and it appears to be on the old side, so it's likely that the total storage capacity in the array could be met or exceeded by one large SATA drive (both 1.5TB and 2.0TB 3.5-inch drives are currently available) -- at much lower noise and power levels. Of course, if you already had one of these bad boys and were just looking for an inexpensive source of spare parts, I'd say go for it. Rick Ekblaw Hi Moussa ! > is this a question! > > http://members.iinet.net.au/~moussa/Image029.jp...

2 + 2 =
2 + 2 = 4. Period. The above was posted as a test. I am seeing if people in csma will start to debate the accuracy of my claims. After all, in base 3, there is no symbol "4". I am sure others can come up with ways to show I am wrong. Then, when I explain how 2 + 2 really is equal to 4, even in other bases or whatever other silliness is presented, I will be told that I am changing my claim. Someone will even go so far as to say that since I admit there is no "4" in base 3, that my argument has been refuted, and I should no longer state that 2 + 2 = 4. This has only been a test. Snit wrote: > 2 + 2 ...

OSK 2.0, 2.2 and 2.3
Does anyone here have any of the versions named in the subject? I am unravelling 68K Basic I-Code, and I need to compare 2.0, 2.2 and 2.3 modules with 2.1 and 2.4 modules. There are differences between 2.1 and 2.4, and I want to know how many other differences there are between versions. Thanks in advance. Wayne Campbell ...

[ANN] gettext-2.0.2, gettext_activerecord-2.0.2, gettext_rails-2.0.2
Hi, Ruby-GetText-Package-2.0.2 and the families (gettext-2.0.2, gettext_activerecord-2.0.2 and gettext_rails-2.0.2) are now available. Ruby-GetText-Package is the library/tools for message localization. * gettext - Message localization libraries and tools for all kind of apps/libs. * gettext_activerecord - ActiveRecord Localization * gettext_rails - Rails support with gettext. Changes ------- == gettext-2.0.2 * Support ruby-1.9.1 style format string such as %<foo>d. * Apply new Locale.set_app_language_tags and Locale.candidates. [Suggested by Vladimir Dobriakov] * Enhance...

What is the difference between (x^2+y^2) and (x.^2+y.^2) in matlab?
z=sqrt(x^2+y^2) c=(z<15) imshow(c) gives a square cut diagonally half with lower right side being white and other being black z=sqrt(x.^2+y.^2) c=(z<15) imshow(c) gives a square with circle in centre What is the difference between (x^2+y^2) and (x.^2+y.^2) in matlab? "Sagar Chand" <sagarchand_9@rediffmail.com> wrote in message <n8efgg$100$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > z=sqrt(x^2+y^2) > c=(z<15) > imshow(c) > gives a square cut diagonally half with lower right side being white and other being black > > z=sqrt(x.^2...

wxPython 2.4.2.4 segmentation fault on (Python 2.2.2 SuSE 8.2)
Hi everything runs normally but exiting demo.py or any app we get Segmentation Fault wxPython was built from sources (as per readme.1st.txt) as latest downloaded from wxPython site while building wxGTK several errors reported as could not read from makefile.in files please assist Sanjay Minni Note that we used GTK1 i.e. compiled without the GTK2 option on SuSE 8.2 Thanks Sanjay Minni ...

ANNOUNCE TkTreeCtrl 2.2.2
TkTreeCtrl is a flexible listbox widget for Tk written in C. This release fixes a few bugs and adds a few minor features. Project homepage: http://tktreectrl.sourceforge.net/ ChangeLog: http://tktreectrl.sourceforge.net/What%27s%20New%20in%20TkTreeCtrl.html Source and Win32 binary downloads: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=69413 -- Tim Baker ...

PyDev 2.2.2 Released
Hi All, PyDev 2.2.2 has been released Details on PyDev: http://pydev.org Details on its development: http://pydev.blogspot.com Release Highlights: ------------------------------- **IPython / Interactive console** * IPython (0.10 or 0.11) is now used as the interactive console backend if PyDev can detect it in the PYTHONPATH. * While waiting for the output of a command, intermediary results are printed in the console. * ANSI color codes are supported in the interactive console. **Code Analysis** * Reporting variables that shadow builtins as warnings. * Fixed issue where __dict__ was not found. **Code completion** * Aliases have a better treatment (i.e.: unittest.assertEqual will show the proper type/parameters). * Improved support for analyzing function builtins where the return type is known (i.e.: open, str.split, etc). **Debugger** * When doing a remote debug session, if the files cannot be found in the local filesystem, PyDev will ask for files in the remote debugger. **Editor** * Files without extension that have a python shebang (e.g.: #!/usr/bin/python in the first line) are automatically opened with the PyDev editor (in the PyDev Package Explorer). **Django** * When the shell command is used in the django custom commands, PyDev no longer uses 100% cpu while it doesn't complete. **Others** * Fixed issue where the * operator was not properly formatted. *...

Apache 2.2.2 and mod_perl
It has been a wee bit since I upgraded and I see a new 2.2 branch of Apache server. Does the current mod_perl work with that series or should I go with the 2.0 series? Robert Hi, Robert > It has been a wee bit since I upgraded and I see a new 2.2 branch of > Apache server. Does the current mod_perl work with that series or > should I go with the 2.0 series? It works at least for me. Last week I brought up a new apache 2.2.0-server w/mod_perl2 and Mason on top of it. It (and I) didn't make the slightest complaints. According to: http://perl.apache.org/start/index.html, mod_perl2 supports not all new features of a-2.2.0, but at least the important 2.0.0 ones in 2.2.0. I didn't need to awake the 2.0.x-'fallback system'. Regards M. Cool. Thanks for the reply. Robert ...

Freewrap6.2 and Snack 2.2
I'm done for now with that script I was working. Decided to wrap it and found that Snack is not included in Freewrap. So I thought, well, I just source the snack.tcl file. Nope, don't work either. How do I wrap my script and include snack with it? Will startkit be a better option? I am so used to Freewrap... Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Fernando Fernando Quinones wrote: > I'm done for now with that script I was working. Decided to wrap it and > found that Snack is not included in Freewrap. So I thought, well, I just > source the snack.tcl file. Nope, don't work either. How do I wrap my > script and include snack with it? Will startkit be a better option? I am > so used to Freewrap... Any help will be appreciated. > Snack is not a "pure" tcl extension, See the freewrap documentation on how to include binary extensions. I have done this a long time in the past with some success - but it was a bit tricky, but worked well. I had to provide the dll's for the binary extensions to get the executable to work on a machine without tcl installed (windows). I have since used starkit/starpack for similar things and it works OK too. Regards Paul Paul Whitfield wrote: > Fernando Quinones wrote: >> I'm done for now with that script I was working. Decided to wrap it >> and found that Snack is not included in Freewrap. So I thought, well, >> I just source the snack.tcl file. Nope, don't wor...

PS/2 and OS/2 #2
Hi ! This is, finally, *in topic* ;-) I've got too many "off topic" warnings ;-) I've got a working copy of OS/2 warp 4 (thank you, guys !). In the doc is said that minimum requirement is Pentium 100. I can put it in my 8595-ONG with TurboChip only :-( Do you have a table that summarizes PS/2 models, the OS/2 version that can be installed and sys requirements ? In other word, for example, which version can be installed on a Model 80-386 ? What is the minimum ram ? Do you ever tried OS/2 2.1 for windows ? I found a copy that was distributed with a PC magazine (CD + 2 boot floppies) On Aug 25, 7:00 am, supervinx <superv...@libero.it> wrote: > I've got a working copy of OS/2 warp 4 (thank you, guys !). > In the doc is said that minimum requirement is Pentium 100. > I can put it in my 8595-ONG with TurboChip only :-( You can run Warp 4 in "lesser" machines, I ran the original release of Warp 4 on a 9590-DLG (50MHz 80486 with 16MB of RAM) quite successfully for a long time. The Convenience Packs (re-releases with FixPaks integrated) may have increased the minimum system requirements. > Do you have a table that summarizes PS/2 models, the OS/2 version that > can be installed and sys requirements ? > In other word, for example, which version can be installed on a Model > 80-386 ? What is the minimum ram ? I wouldn't bother with anything less than OS/2 Warp Connect (which is Warp 3 plu...

ANN: Releases 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 of TclWS (Web Services for Tcl)
Announcing releases 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 of TclWS (Web Services for Tcl). They are available at http://core.tcl.tk/tclws -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC | | Email: Gerald.Lester@kng-consulting.net | +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ ...

LaTex equation numbering like 2.1, 2.2, also 2.0.1, 2.0,2, 2.1.1, etc
David Roach wrote: > Is there a simple command to have latex number > the equations by the section numbers automatically. > > David From the LaTeX Companion (what a wonderful book!) %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% % number equations within sections % In preamble \makeatletter \@addtoreset{equation}{section} \makeatother \renewcommand{\theequation}{\thesection.\arabic{equation}} %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Numbers within sections...I use this all the time in articles. Even works with ******************* ******************* Brilliant. And then I got numbering within subsections by repeating and editing (not replacing), so I now have:- (Just after the documentClass command) \makeatletter \@addtoreset{equation}{section} \makeatother \renewcommand{\theequation}{\thesection.\arabic{equation}} \makeatletter \@addtoreset{equation}{subsection} \makeatother \renewcommand{\theequation}{\thesubsection.\arabic{equation}} Bob Bob Marlow schrieb: > David Roach wrote: > >> Is there a simple command to have latex number >> the equations by the section numbers automatically. >> >> David > > From the LaTeX Companion (what a wonderful book!) > > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% > > % number equations within sections > % In preamble > > \makeatletter > \@addtoreset{equation}{section} > \makeatother > \renewcommand{\theequation}{\thesection.\arabic{equation}} > > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% [more code] > Hi! I th...

RE: [Stackless] Stackless ported to 2.2.3 #2 #2
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C36B3B.C85D5C30 Content-Type: text/plain That did the trick. Thanks. Heng Sun Chao System Solution Testing Cognos Inc. 738-1338 x 5051 -----Original Message----- From: Christian Tismer [mailto:tismer@tismer.com] Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 2:26 PM To: Chao, Heng Sun Cc: Pythonistas; Stackless@tismer.com Subject: Re: [Stackless] Stackless ported to 2.2.3 Chao, Heng Sun wrote: > I did so. The help works fine. However, I remember there was some > variable I had to set to make the recursion work for 100000. Right now, > recursion dies at before 1000 depth. sys.setrecursionlimit is a standard Python function. ciao - chris -- Christian Tismer :^) <mailto:tismer@tismer.com> Mission Impossible 5oftware : Have a break! Take a ride on Python's Johannes-Niemeyer-Weg 9a : *Starship* http://starship.python.net/ 14109 Berlin : PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/ work +49 30 89 09 53 34 home +49 30 802 86 56 pager +49 173 24 18 776 PGP 0x57F3BF04 9064 F4E1 D754 C2FF 1619 305B C09C 5A3B 57F3 BF04 whom do you want to sponsor today? http://www.stackless.com/ Join us at Cognos' biggest event of the year Enterprise 2003, The Cognos Business Forum. Taking place in over 25 cities around the world, it's an opportunity for Busine...

The mod_perl 2.0.2 + apache v2.2.3 #2
mod_perl 2.0.2 + apache v2.2.3 from http://www.devside.net/server/webdeveloper httpd.conf ThreadsPerChild 1920 ======================================================== I have a project must upload files to win2003 server. So i do the job by implement Protocol (Connection) Handlers in mod_perl. But the server will very busy when > 5 connections connect to apache at the same time. Maybe one connection upload big file (100M) . But in general the files is < 5M. The server have 4 cpu and Ram is 4G.But sometime the new connection will hang a little time (sometime can not accept new connecti...

Concurrent usage of glibc 2.2.4 and 2.3.2
I'm trying to run applications that need glibc 2.2.4 in a Linux (formerly RH 7.2, but kernel + most apps + gcc + glibc updated) box whose current glibc is 2.3.2 (obtained from Fedora's glibc-2.3.2-101.4.i386.rpm). I have several questions where I'd appreciate some help. - checking the version definitions for both runtime loaders (RTLs, or ld-linux.so), I see that: - both RTLs define ld-linux.so.2, GLIBC_2.0, GLIBC_2.1 - ld-2.2.4.so defines versions GLIBC_2.1.1, GLIBC_2.2, GLIBC_2.2.3, which ld-2.3.2.so does not - ld-2.3.2.so defines GLIBC_PRIVATE and GLI...

The mod_perl 2.0.2 + apache v2.2.3 #2
mod_perl 2.0.2 + apache v2.2.3 from http://www.devside.net/server/webdeveloper httpd.conf ThreadsPerChild 1920 ======================================================== I have a project must upload files to win2003 server. So i do the job by implement Protocol (Connection) Handlers in mod_perl. But the server will very busy when > 5 connections connect to apache at the same time. Maybe one connection upload big file (100M) . But in general the files is < 5M. The server have 4 cpu and Ram is 4G.But sometime the new connection will hang a little time (sometime can not accept new connecti...

wxGTK 2.4.2 issues (GTK 2.2.4)
Hello all, I tried the first time my wxMSW application on Linux with wxGTK and I experienced following issues und would like to know if it is a GTK limitation or wx' one: - Loading .xpm - files in .xrc - resources doesn't work (no handler) But perhaps in a toolbar wxBitmap("myIcon_16.xpm") works. - No "real" MDI support and no StatusBar support for Childframes (this _should_ be documented) - wxTE_RIGHT does not work for wxTextCtrl - wxListCtrl in wxLC_ICON - Style aligns the icons to the left. I know that's a Win32-Feature to align the icons "centre" but Evolution also supports this (perhaps Gnome feature?) Thanks, Michael Forstner --------------------------------------------------------------------- Please read http://www.wxwindows.org/mlhowto.htm before posting. To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwindows.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwindows.org ...

ANNOUNCE: AFS Perl API 2.2.2 released #2
AFS Perl API Version 2.2.2 I am pleased to announce the AFS Perl API 2.2.2 release The AFS module bundle is a dynamically loadable extension to Perl. It gives the AFS user and administrator access to many of the AFS programming APIs, allowing you to make these calls directly from Perl, rather then processing the output of a command. The AFS module bundle is a thin layer above the low-level AFS APIs. Where To Get It The version 2.2.2 is now available at http://www.MPA-Garching.MPG.de/~nog/perl/AFS-2.2.2.tar.gz http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/N/NO/NOG/AFS-2.2.2.tar.gz This release should work on all UNIX/Linux platforms which have AFS API interfaces and the appropriate C compilation environment. User visible changes in this release - improved test drivers - improved Make scripts including checks for Perl "unthreaded" version For more information about the current state of the AFS Perl API, check my "AFS Perl API Kwiki" site at: http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/kwiki/nog/afsperl/ Share and Enjoy! Norbert -- Ceterum censeo | PGP encrypted mail preferred. Redmond esse delendam. | PGP Key at www.MPA-Garching.MPG.de/~nog/ ...

Web resources about - linspace(2,2,2) returns [2 2] ?? - comp.soft-sys.matlab

File:VFPt Solenoid correct2.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
# paste this code at the end of VectorFieldPlot 1.0 doc = FieldplotDocument ( 'VFPt_Solenoid_correct2' , width = 490 , height = 200 , unit = ...

Fuzzy Logic In MATLAB Part 1
Fuzzy logic is a capable and often misunderstood analytical tool. A basic grasp of this technology may be gained from any of the following introductions ...

Mike Quentel Software
The matplotlib library offers excellent functionality for quick and simple graphing capabilities in python. Excellent tutorials exist about how ...

MATLAB Documentation - MathWorks Deutschland
MATLAB is a high-level language and interactive environment for numerical computation, visualization, and programming.

Julia Programming Language
Julia Programming Language forum. Julia is a high-level, high-performance dynamic programming language for technical computing, with syntax that ...

Introduction to Support Vector Machines - O'Reilly Media O'Reilly Close Menu Open Menu play play arrow-right ...
This tutorial introduces Support Vector Machines (SVMs), a powerful supervised learning algorithm used to draw a boundary between clusters of ...

Primes out of Thin Air
The Riemann zeta zeros behave very similarly to a kind of Fourier transform of the primes. This led to the idea of performing a Fourier sine ...

JuliaLang/julia - Coveralls - Test Coverage History & Statistics
The leading provider of test coverage analytics. Ensure that all your new code is fully covered, and see coverage trends emerge. Works with most ...

GNU Octave: Function Index
GNU Octave: Function Index

ND4J, Scala & Scientific Computing N-Dimensional Scientific Computing for Java
... { /** Creating arrays in multiple ways, all using numpy syntax */ var arr = Nd4j.create(4) var arr2 = Nd4j.ones(4) val arr3 = Nd4j.linspace(1, ...