Linux + MS Matlab + Wine = ?

Is it possible to run the windows version of matlab under Linux
with WINdows Emulator? I know there is a Linux Matlab, but I only
have the Windows version.

BTW doesn't WINE implement the complete Windows API? How
come some software does run on it? Is it because of bugs
in such software or because it relies on undocumented
features?
0
mike420 (55)
10/9/2003 8:18:42 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 13 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

> BTW doesn't WINE implement the complete Windows API? How
> come some software does run on it? Is it because of bugs
> in such software or because it relies on undocumented
> features?
Wine is alpha software, it's under development, so it simply isn't finished.

0
puoti (10)
10/9/2003 8:26:20 PM
In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine mike420@ziplip.com wrote:
: Is it possible to run the windows version of matlab under Linux
: with WINdows Emulator? I know there is a Linux Matlab, but I only
: have the Windows version.

: BTW doesn't WINE implement the complete Windows API? How
: come some software does run on it? Is it because of bugs
: in such software or because it relies on undocumented
: features?

Not every software uses everything of the Windows API. In fact, Software not
written  by Microsoft normally only uses only a small part of the Api...

Bye

bon (75)
10/9/2003 8:51:32 PM
mike420@ziplip.com wrote:

> Is it possible to run the windows version of matlab under Linux
> with WINdows Emulator? I know there is a Linux Matlab, but I only
> have the Windows version.

If you encounter problems using Wine, try VMware.
Evaulation versions should be available from their web site.
It's pretty sure that you wouldn't have trouble with Matlab using
that emulator. But it doesn't come for free...
Bernhard
mike420@ziplip.com wrote:
> Is it possible to run the windows version of matlab under Linux
> with WINdows Emulator? I know there is a Linux Matlab, but I only
> have the Windows version.
>
> BTW doesn't WINE implement the complete Windows API? How
> come some software does run on it? Is it because of bugs
> in such software or because it relies on undocumented
> features?
I have tried to install it under various Wine versions in a Mandrake
installation and it is the only program which has been able to freeze
the computer completely - so no I don't think it is worth trying :-)

But with windows 98 running under win4lin there is no problem using the
windows version of matlab.

-Torbj�rn.

<mike420@ziplip.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to run the windows version of matlab under Linux
> with WINdows Emulator? I know there is a Linux Matlab, but I only
> have the Windows version.
>
> BTW doesn't WINE implement the complete Windows API? How
> come some software does run on it? Is it because of bugs
> in such software or because it relies on undocumented
> features?

Hi, Mike:

Have you considered using GNU Octave, a Matlab replacement written by John
Eaton and others?

http://www.octave.org/

It is free software, i.e. available under the GNU General Public License.

Written for "Linux" and ported to run under Windows using cygwin, it might
serve your purpose nicely.

regards, chip

0
eastham (3)

Matlab, Linux, and Wine
The computer in my lab had Windows XP Pro and MATLAB installed. I made a new partition, installed Fedora Core 4, and installed Wine. On the Windows partition, theoretically I should just have to run the matlab.exe, but it throws me the "Matlab is not licensed on this host" error. Anyone have a similar setup (only, you know... working)? Do I need to do something to get the licensing to work? Thanks! -Mark Mark Locascio wrote: > > > The computer in my lab had Windows XP Pro and MATLAB installed. I > made a new partition, installed Fedora Core 4, and installed Wine. > O...

Matlab on Linux using WINE
Has anyone tried (or better still suceeded)in running a Windows version of Matlab on a Linux system using WINE. I am about to reformat my laptop and Matlab is the only Windows Application I really need on it. Thanks in advance, Ben Michell Math Modelling Engineer Westland Helicopters Ltd ML has Linux version. Or you try "octave" which syntax is very similar to ML. Ben Michell said the following on 2005-1-4 20:02: > Has anyone tried (or better still suceeded)in running a Windows > version of Matlab on a Linux system using WINE. > > I am about to reformat my laptop an...

Launching non-blocking MATLAB scripts on a linux server from MATLAB on Windows
Hi all I have a linux box with MATLAB installed on it. I want to launch some MATLAB scripts on it from MATLAB on my desktop PC, but I don't want the command to block, i.e. I want the command prompt re-appear immediately, and for the command to be run asynchronously on the box. To be clear, every command I send should start a new instance of MATLAB on the linux box, and run in that. There is no communication between the two MATLABs once the command is sent. I can do this from a linux PC fine, using: a = round(clock); str = sprintf('ssh cvg-1 "nohup /opt/matlab2010a/bin/ma...

Matlab plots outside Matlab
I'm making an end-user application where I would like to use Matlab functionality both for calculation and plotting. Matlabs GUI builder guide does not satisfy my needs (no support for f.ex. internal frames and other nescessities), so I'm planning to compile my Matlab code and use other API (Java, QT or something) for GUI. My problem is then, that I loose access to the neat plotting commands availible under matlab GUI... Is there a way of integrating Matlabs plot functionality into another GUI system? - has it been done? - I appreciate any response! - P�l Berge ...

Calling Compiled MATLAB from MATLAB
Hello everyone, How do I compile MATLAB M files into a form that can then be called from within the MATLAB interpreter? A roundabout way would seem to be to (somehow) Turn the matlab code into C (I think mcc does this), then compile this C code into MEX format and call that. Is there an easier way? I have the MATLAB compiler, so I just need to know what to do with it to get this to work. Thanks in advance, Sina sina.tootoonian wrote: > > > Hello everyone, > > How do I compile MATLAB M files into a form that can then be called > from within the MATLAB interpreter? A roundabout way would seem to > be > to (somehow) Turn the matlab code into C (I think mcc does this), > then > compile this C code into MEX format and call that. Is there an > easier > way? I have the MATLAB compiler, so I just need to know what to do > with > it to get this to work. > > Thanks in advance, > > Sina > > HELP MEX > HELP MEX Or, better, HELP MCC help pcode pseudo code is useful to obfuscate code - protect algorithms, yet still run at full speed and be distributable to other matlab users sina.tootoonian wrote: > > > Hello everyone, > > How do I compile MATLAB M files into a form that can then be called > from within the MATLAB interpreter? A roundabout way would seem to > be > to (somehow) Turn the matlab code into C (I think mcc does this), > then > compile this C code into MEX format and call that...

MATLAB and Linux
Dear community, I have switched to Linux resently. The only factor that keeps me in Windows realm is our beloved MATLAB. It would be awesome to run it under Linux. I know about Linux version but I'm not planning to spend on it. What is the best way to run my Win version of MATLAB on Linux? Something like WINE or complete Windows emulation? Please, share you experience if you have any. Does it make calculation slower? Thank you very much. On Jun 27, 10:16 am, Eugene <e_rede...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Dear community, > > I have switched to Linux resently. The only > factor...

parallel matlab
Hi all, I'm going to work on a project involving a parallel version of MATLAB - I'm aware of various efforts like MATLAB-*P and so on Right now I need to read up on some material regarding MATLAB internals eg: How are the ATLAS(or is it BLAS) routines called in MATLAB? How does MATLAB's C code store information in memory, cache'ing etc? How is one to get at those? Do you know of any suitable reference(s)/resource(s)? Thank you very much, Aravind ...

matlab + linux
hi, i've got such a problem: i'm running matlab version 7.4.0 on linux platform (slackware version 11.0 ) but i cannot work more than 10min, cause matlab hangs and i've got only one big grey window. and right now i'm trying to run really simple functions. procesor is AMD 64 3200+ and RAM 1gb can anyone suggest me what can i do with it? it really makes my life difficult. kind regards, misty ...

Matlab for Linux
Hello, I want to run a copy of Matlab for Linux on my freshly updated FreeBSD 4.9 box. I have Linux binary compatibility installed and Matlab installed ok as well. However, as I run it loads the splash screen and then exits logging the following messages to dmesg: linux: 'ioctl' fd=4, cmd=0x1 ('',1) not implemented linux: 'ioctl' fd=4, cmd=0x1 ('',1) not implemented linux: 'ioctl' fd=4, cmd=0x540e ('T',14) not implemented linux: syscall mmap2 is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=326) linux: syscall mmap2 is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=326) linux: syscall mmap2 is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=326) linux: syscall mmap2 is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=326) [and so on, about 40 times the same message] Is this is a problem that can be easily fixed? Sven. --- s v e n (dot) d (dot) m e i e r (at) g m x (dot) n e t Sven Meier wrote: > Hello, > > I want to run a copy of Matlab for Linux on my freshly updated FreeBSD > 4.9 box. I have Linux binary compatibility installed and Matlab > installed ok as well. However, as I run it loads the splash screen and > then exits logging the following messages to dmesg: > > linux: 'ioctl' fd=4, cmd=0x1 ('',1) not implemented > linux: 'ioctl' fd=4, cmd=0x1 ('',1) not implemented > linux: 'ioctl' fd=4, cmd=0x540e ('T',14) not implemented > linux: syscall mm...

Linux Matlab
Hi Users, I am new to Matlab and working with Matlab in Linux platform. I have an old code that I would like to work in Matlab 7. (1)Does anyone know what "shift_rotate" command is supposed to do? Or what is the equivalent command in Matlab 7? () What is (:) supposed to mean? Thank you Sincerely, Michael Michael Ibrahim wrote: > > > Hi Users, > > I am new to Matlab and working with Matlab in Linux platform. > I have an old code that I would like to work in Matlab 7. > (1)Does anyone know what "shift_rotate" command is supposed to do? > Or what is t...

matlab
any one please can help me sploving the following question 1________Given the causal system y[n] =3D 0.9y[n-1] + x[n], find H(z) and sketch the pole-zero plot. See the functions roots.m and zplane.m. 2___ Plot the magnitude and phase of H(z) on the frequency axis from 0 =E2=80=93 =EF=81=B0, or normalized frequency 0 - 1, and label the graphs. S= ee the freqz.m command. hani_al_yazidi@hotmail.com wrote: > any one please can help me sploving the following question > > > 1________Given the causal system > > y[n] = 0.9y[n-1] + x[n], > > find H(z) and sketch the pole-zero plot. See the functions roots.m and > zplane.m. > > 2___ Plot the magnitude and phase of H(z) on the frequency axis from 0 > – , or normalized frequency 0 - 1, and label the graphs. See the > freqz.m command. It looks like homework. State what you tried and what error messages you got and someone who knows Matlab will probably help. We try not to do homework here, but (like gods) we do help those who help themselves. Jerry -- Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get. ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯&...

Matlab
Hello , I'm a new user in Matlab. So should you advise matlab notes , documentation please ? <azatserver113@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7b4e75e2-40c6-43bb-acc6-2553123ba649@googlegroups.com... > Hello , > > I'm a new user in Matlab. So should you advise matlab notes , > documentation please ? > At the MATLAB command prompt type this command: doc This will show the documentation included as part of your installation. I recommend reading through the Getting Started section of the MATLAB documentation first, and executing the examp...

can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab
can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab in windows platform?.if yes , how is the performance better ? please do answer this question thank u "Gangamma " <gangvsng@gmail.com> wrote in message <hvmr7h$sn0$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab in windows platform?.if yes , how is the performance better ? Yes, Matlab program written in 32/64 bits are compatible accepted MEX file. 64-bit version can handle larger array but does *NOT* improve speed. Br...

soft-link (symbolic link) file information on remote linux machine using ftp in Matlab
Hi all I want to read a soft-link file information in a remote linux machine on Matlab 7 environment in local Windows machine. To do this, I connected to the remote linux machine using ftp() command in Matlab and tried to read soft link file using the dir() command. However, the dir() command only read the name of a soft-link file and did not fetch the information about the linked file. --- e.g. Assume the soft link file is as follows: softlink.file -> /temp/data.file Using the dir() command after connecting using ftp() command, the resulting file name was just 'softlink.file'. --- Does anyone knows how the soft-link file information in a remote linux machine can be read in the local Matlab environment? Many thanks, Jay wrote: > Hi all > > I want to read a soft-link file information in a remote linux machine > on Matlab 7 environment in local Windows machine. To do this, I > connected to the remote linux machine using ftp() command in Matlab > and tried to read soft link file using the dir() command. However, > the dir() command only read the name of a soft-link file and did not > fetch the information about the linked file. > --- > e.g. Assume the soft link file is as follows: > softlink.file -> /temp/data.file > > Using the dir() command after connecting using ftp() command, the > resulting file name was just 'softlink.file'. > --- > > Does anyone knows how the soft-link file information in a r...

can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab #2
can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab in windows platform?.if yes , how is the performance better ? please do answer this question thank u ...

Writing a Matlab add-on in a Matlab clone?
What is the best Matlab clone and is it good enough to write Matlab software in? I'd like to use one of these free clones to start writing Matlab add-ons. I am aware of Scilab and GNU Octave. The former seems to be more popular. -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy The F#.NET Journal http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_journal/?usenet Jon Harrop wrote: > > > > What is the best Matlab clone and is it good enough to write Matlab > software > in? > > I'd like to use one of these free clones to start writing Matlab > add-ons. I > am aware ...

Matlab R2006b compatability with Matlab R14?
I am trying to execute some code (a mixture of C++ and Matlab) that was delivered to me. The Matlab code was originally developed under Matlab R14. I have Matlab R2006b installed on my system. When I attempt to execute the program, I get the following message: I18N Runtime warning: Missing ICU data file detected while processing $(MATLAB)/bin/$(ARCH). Hint: Check for a misconfigured environment or installation. When I look in the referenced directory, there does appear to be an ICU related .dat file. Any ideas as to what could be causing this runtime warning? Thanks. ...

shutdown matlab.exe when matlab is not in use
Hi, I've noticed everytime I start my computer, matlab.exe starts automatically and consumes a considerable amount of memory space which slows down my computer. Is there an option to prevent this process from starting automatically each time my computer starts. I have Windows XP operating system. I have matlab 6.5. Thanks. Fenisol3 puffy_blake wrote: > Hi, > I've noticed everytime I start my computer, matlab.exe starts automatically > and consumes a considerable amount of memory space which slows down my > computer. Is there an option to prevent this process from starti...

Matlab compiler for Matlab 5.2
I'm looking for matlab compiler for matlab 5.2 for Mac computers. I wasn't able to find anywhere because the Mathworks doesn't produce it. Do you know were I may find it? Thanks ...

Matlab comiler and simple matlab function
I am trying to create an exe from a matlab function which doubles the number you give it. matlab function: test.m function [output] = test (number) %return double the input number output = 2*number; disp(output); run matlab compiler at command line with: mcc -mv test.m with the resulting exe: test.exe However when I run it at DOS prompt: test 1 I am returned a value of 98. I thought that maybe this was some octal description of the output, but 98 oct is not 2 decimal. Some other results it returned: C:\Documents and Settings\alex\Desktop\lighttrans\Frank Work \test...

MATLAB 6 to MATLAB 7 changes
I am looking for information here on the MathWorks website about the changes between MATLAB 6 and MATLAB 7. Specifically, I am looking for information about changes in the handling of .mat files. For example if I have a mat-file: example.mat located in the MATLAB current directory. In MATLAB 7 I can load this data-file into the MATLAB workspace with: >> load example And it loads fine. If I type the above load command in MATLAB 6 I get and error. Is there anything that provides the technical information for this? Thanks Dave Dave wrote: > I am looking for information here on t...

MATLAB Daemon
Hi! Is it posible to make a Daemon in MATLAB so that i can access a shared memory between MATLAB and .NET? I ask this because every method i've tryied to call MATLAB functions from .NET are really slow, mostly the call process (because i call the function about 300.000-1.000.000 times in a small time lapse. I thought that using a Daemon using shared memory between my .NET app and MATLAB would make that performance bottleneck almost dissapear. Any other ideas are really appreciated. By the way, is it posible to open a socket in MATLAB? That would be another possible solution, less performa...

Matlab Engine with Matlab Runtime Component ?
Hi, I have a c++ application which uses Matlab engine to save data for further use with Matlab. I need to distribute the application to users that do not have Matlab. Is there a way tp use Matlab Engine with Matlab Runtime Component ? How should I change the compilation to do it ? Thanks, Ofra ...

Matlab 6.5 to matlab 7
hi, i want to upgrade my Matlab 6.5 to Matlab7, will it cause any effects to the M-files that i saved before? Or do I need to uninstall the Matlab 6.5 first before installing the Matlab 7? regards, blur On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:03:13 +0000, Blur wrote: > hi, > i want to upgrade my Matlab 6.5 to Matlab7, will it cause any effects > to the M-files that i saved before? See http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/rn/r14sp1_a.html for information on changes to the Matlab programming language that may affect old m-files. For the most part the changes are minor, and most ...

Web resources about - Linux + MS Matlab + Wine = ? - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Undocumented Matlab
Undocumented, unsupported and hidden features in Matlab

Matlab Upazila - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... 23°21′N 90°42.5′E  /  23.35°N 90.7083°E  / 23.35; 90.7083 Coordinates : 23°21′N 90°42.5′E  /  23.35°N 90.7083°E  / 23.35; 90.7083 Matlab ...

Open Directory - Science: Math: Software: MATLAB
The MathWorks - Developers of MATLAB, Simulink and Stateflow. Offers products for data analysis, visualization, application development, simulation, ...

MATLAB Mobile on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about MATLAB Mobile. Download MATLAB Mobile and enjoy it on your iPhone, ...

The Smart Emergency Response System Using MATLAB and Simulink - YouTube
In the aftermath of an earthquake, every second counts for disaster victims. Imagine a system that can locate people quickly and help first responders ...

The A-Z of Programming Languages: MATLAB
What prompted the development of MATLAB?

Matlab: Invalid .NET Framework. Either the specified framework was not found or is not currently supported ...
If you are trying to compile Matlab into .Net framework, you might encounter this message, even though you have the .Net framework installed ...

Matlab edges closer to electronic design automation world
Matlab, one of the world's most widely used products for algorithmic development, has long occupied its own niche far removed from EDA and hardware ...

Can I/How do I use DMTCP with a parallel pool of MATLAB workers? · Issue #223 · dmtcp/dmtcp · GitHub
dmtcp - DMTCP: Distributed MultiThreaded CheckPointing matlab -nodisplay -r "parpool('local',4); parfor i=1:10, pause(1); fprintf('%i ',i); end; ...

Using MATLAB and SDR to Reverse Engineer 433MHz Messages
... so he focused on studying the methodology and the tools available for analyzing 433MHz RF transmission. He describes the process of using MATLAB ...