Matlab 6.5 to matlab 7

hi,
i want to upgrade my Matlab 6.5 to Matlab7, will it cause any effects
to the M-files that i saved before?
Or do I need to uninstall the Matlab 6.5 first before installing the
Matlab 7?

regards,
blur

0
hiijenny (4)

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:03:13 +0000, Blur wrote:

> hi,
> i want to upgrade my Matlab 6.5 to Matlab7, will it cause any effects
> to the M-files that i saved before?

See
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/rn/r14sp1_a.html

for information on changes to the Matlab programming language that may
affect old m-files.  For the most part the changes are minor, and most old
m-files should run without problems.

> Or do I need to uninstall the Matlab 6.5 first before installing the
> Matlab 7?

No.

Dan

> regards,
> blur

0
dan4519 (925)
2/25/2005 4:08:45 PM
Changes are *mostly* minor. I sent this note internally to our
company's MATLAB users when we upgraded from 6.5 -> 7.0:
==========================

good features:

1) mlint -- you can use this to check your .m files for
   unused variables / suspicious & outdated constructs / etc.
2) linkaxes -- Allows more than one subplot to be linked for zoom
purposes.
   Very useful for multiple time series plots.

3) anonymous functions and nested functions (see release notes below)

4) conditional breakpoints -- this is a big help for debugging.

5) DLL support (one of the features I'm hoping to take advantage of)

The only bad things I've encountered are the following:

1) ***** Graphics have been rearchitected *****
For most of you, you won't notice a thing. However, if you are
using handle graphics in scripts, there are some changes, particularly
involving functions that used to return handles and now return "handle
groups".
One of my motor test scripts uses a contour plot, and I had to rewrite
it.
You can change your function calls (e.g. contour('v6',...) to have the
same
behavior as the 6.5 version) but this approach is not backwards
compatible
if you try to run it both on 6.5 and 7.0.

2) Some graphics operations are slower -- if you have lots of
datapoints
on a graph, you will really notice this. I found a 3-4x slowdown
between
MATLAB 6.5 and 7.0 on a few test plots.

3) It seems to take quite a while to start up the first time.
If I quit & restart, subsequent MATLAB startup is somewhat reasonable.
(18 seconds on my machine) Unsure if this is the license server
or the keyserver software or VirusScan.

(For more info, see the release notes at
 http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/pdf_doc/matlab/rn.pdf
)

0
jmsachs (77)