Matlab 64 vs 32 bit benchmarking results (on Win XP 64 bit vs Win XP 32 bit SP2)

Recently I installed a new PC with dual boot, win XP 32 bit and win XP
64 bit. On the 32 bit OS I run 32 bit matlab, on the 64 bit OS I run
64 bit matlab.

MATLAB Version 7.3.0.267 (R2006b)
Intel core 2 duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

I benchmarked the systems in 2 ways (average over multiple runs):

1) with a benchmark from the file exchange
MATLAB Central >  File Exchange > Utilities > Miscellaneous >
Benchmark
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=11984&objectType=file

2) With my own benchmark (training of neural networks, a neuro-fuzzy
network that spends most time in shiftdim & repmat functions, delayest
and a inverse of a 5000x5000 matrix)

The result was a bit shocking to me... The 64 bit setup was in general
more than 2x as SLOW as the 32 bit setup!

about the 64bit setup:
- only on the openGL graphics it was considerably faster
- slightly faster on 2D graphics
- equal on FFT calculation
- most other benchmarks were about 2 times as slow
- matrix inverse was over 4 times as slow!

Booting in windows safe mode and using -nojvm made hardly any
difference (faster 3D, slower 2D plots, for the rest the same)

For your information

Greetings
Jorg Entzinger

0
JentzNews (2)

On 2007-03-02, JentzNews@gmail.com <JentzNews@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently I installed a new PC with dual boot, win XP 32 bit and win XP
> 64 bit. On the 32 bit OS I run 32 bit matlab, on the 64 bit OS I run
> 64 bit matlab.
>
> MATLAB Version 7.3.0.267 (R2006b)
> Intel core 2 duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM
> NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

*snip*

> The result was a bit shocking to me... The 64 bit setup was in general
> more than 2x as SLOW as the 32 bit setup!

Thanks for the interesting info.  Other interesting data points would be:

 o 32bit Matlab under 64bit Windows (is Matlab the problem, or Windows?)
 o The same experiements in Linux.  IME, 64bit Matlab works very well in
   Linux, but I've never done any systematic benchmarking.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

wrote:
>> Recently I installed a new PC with dual boot, win XP 32 bit and
> win XP
>> 64 bit. On the 32 bit OS I run 32 bit matlab, on the 64 bit OS
> run
>> 64 bit matlab.
>>
>> MATLAB Version 7.3.0.267 (R2006b)
>> Intel core 2 duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM
>> NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
>>
> *snip*
>>
>> The result was a bit shocking to me... The 64 bit setup was in
> general
>> more than 2x as SLOW as the 32 bit setup!
>
> Thanks for the interesting info. Other interesting data points
> would be:
>
> o 32bit Matlab under 64bit Windows (is Matlab the problem, or
> Windows?)
> o The same experiements in Linux. IME, 64bit Matlab works very
> well in
> Linux, but I've never done any systematic benchmarking.
>
> --
> Joshua Baker-LePain
> Department of Biomedical Engineering
> Duke University

Here are my results to add to the mix:

Hardware: Intel Xeon 3.66ghz 16 gig ram 4 dual cores
OS: Windows Server 2003 x64

A run of my typical simulation code:
   R2007a x32: 115 seconds
   R2007a x64: 39 seconds

Both of these results have the multiprocess/core feature set to 1.

Not too bad for just an upgrade.

Stephen
0
x64
3/3/2007 6:30:10 AM
x64 User wrote:

> Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>>

>> On 2007-03-02, JentzNews@gmail.com <JentzNews@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> Recently I installed a new PC with dual boot, win XP 32 bit
> and
>> win XP
>>> 64 bit. On the 32 bit OS I run 32 bit matlab, on the 64 bit
> OS
>> run
>>> 64 bit matlab.
>>>
>>> MATLAB Version 7.3.0.267 (R2006b)
>>> Intel core 2 duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM
>>> NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
>>>
>> *snip*
>>>
>>> The result was a bit shocking to me... The 64 bit setup was
> in
>> general
>>> more than 2x as SLOW as the 32 bit setup!
>>
>> Thanks for the interesting info. Other interesting data points
>> would be:
>>
>> o 32bit Matlab under 64bit Windows (is Matlab the problem, or
>> Windows?)
>> o The same experiements in Linux. IME, 64bit Matlab works very
>> well in
>> Linux, but I've never done any systematic benchmarking.
>>
>> --
>> Joshua Baker-LePain
>> Department of Biomedical Engineering
>> Duke University
>>

> Here are my results to add to the mix:
>
> Hardware: Intel Xeon 3.66ghz 16 gig ram 4 dual cores
> OS: Windows Server 2003 x64
>
> A run of my typical simulation code:
> R2007a x32: 115 seconds
> R2007a x64: 39 seconds
>
> Both of these results have the multiprocess/core feature set to 1.
>
> Not too bad for just an upgrade.
>
> Stephen

Yes R2007a seems to rock. I want to test it with a C2D and XP64. If
you have some numbers to give with multi-core ...

SeBt
0
SeBy (232)
3/3/2007 9:43:03 AM
<JentzN...@gmail.com>
> >> Recently I installed a new PC with dual boot, win XP 32bitand
> >> win XP 64bit. On the 32bitOS I run 32bitmatlab, on the 64bitOS
> >> I run 64bitmatlab.
>
> >> MATLAB Version 7.3.0.267 (R2006b)
> >> Intel core 2 duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM
> >> NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
>
> > *snip*
>
> >> The result was abitshocking to me... The 64bitsetup was in
> >> general more than 2x as SLOW as the 32bitsetup!
>

> Here are my results to add to the mix:
>
> Hardware: Intel Xeon 3.66ghz 16 gig ram 4 dual cores
> OS: Windows Server 2003 x64
>
> A run of my typical simulation code:
>    R2007a x32: 115 seconds
>    R2007a x64: 39 seconds
>
> Both of these results have the multiprocess/core feature set to 1.
>
> Stephen

Thanks Stephen, your results inspired me to try the upgrade ;-)
HOWEVER:
I wonder what kind of "typical" simulation you have that runs 3x as
fast on 64bit...

The benchmark from file-exchange
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=11984&objectType=file
shows some better performance on LU and FFT but worse on ODE
calculations. Much better (like 3x) than the 2006b 64bit version, but
only slightly different from the 2007a 32bit version.

My own test shows that calculation of a big matrix inverse is 25%
faster on 64bit than 32 bit (2007b), but training neural networks is
like 15% slower on 64bit... Also some of my own functions (spending
most time in repmat and shiftdim) are slightly slower on 64bit.

Jorg Entzinger

0
JentzNews (2)
3/8/2007 11:23:36 AM
If your own functions are spending times in repmat, then you may want to
look at bsxfun in R2007a.

Google: bsxfun

---Bob.

<JentzNews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> <JentzN...@gmail.com>

>> > *snip*

>> Here are my results to add to the mix:
>>
>> Hardware: Intel Xeon 3.66ghz 16 gig ram 4 dual cores
>> OS: Windows Server 2003 x64
>>
>> A run of my typical simulation code:
>>    R2007a x32: 115 seconds
>>    R2007a x64: 39 seconds
>>
>> Both of these results have the multiprocess/core feature set to 1.
>>
>> Stephen
>

> Thanks Stephen, your results inspired me to try the upgrade ;-)
> HOWEVER:
> I wonder what kind of "typical" simulation you have that runs 3x as
> fast on 64bit...
>
> The benchmark from file-exchange
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=11984&objectType=file
> shows some better performance on LU and FFT but worse on ODE
> calculations. Much better (like 3x) than the 2006b 64bit version, but
> only slightly different from the 2007a 32bit version.
>
> My own test shows that calculation of a big matrix inverse is 25%
> faster on 64bit than 32 bit (2007b), but training neural networks is
> like 15% slower on 64bit... Also some of my own functions (spending
> most time in repmat and shiftdim) are slightly slower on 64bit.
>
> Jorg Entzinger

0
bcheng (209)
3/8/2007 11:42:17 AM
JentzNews@gmail.com wrote in message <1172822686.843265.48180@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>...
> Recently I installed a new PC with dual boot, win XP 32 bit and win XP
> 64 bit. On the 32 bit OS I run 32 bit matlab, on the 64 bit OS I run
> 64 bit matlab.
>

> MATLAB Version 7.3.0.267 (R2006b)
> Intel core 2 duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM
> NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

I use a couple systems at work with 64bit, and this seems to have very little ram for a 64bit system. The whole point of 64bit is so that you have more memory. If that memory is paged, then not only do you have larger addresses and more bits (for every calculation), you are accessing it via your harddrive.
I'm not a computer guru. So please if this is wrong, correct me and set the internet back on the right path.
0
jenninal (4)

64-bit vs. 32-bit Matlab
I am wondering if 64-bit Matlab in 64-bit OS compiles faster things? Than 32-bit Matlab in 32-bit OS if the machine is the same one!!! If no... what are the advantages that 64-bit Matlab with 64-bit OS brings us??? "Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <idjev2$sp6$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I am wondering if 64-bit Matlab in 64-bit OS compiles faster things? Than 32-bit Matlab in 32-bit OS if the machine is the same one!!! Generally 64-bit is slower. >If no... what are the advantages that 64-bit Matlab with 64-bit OS brings ...

compiling on 32-bit vs. 64-bit (gcc fails on 64-bit)
On a 64-bit Scientific Linux 5.4 machine, I get the following when I try to compile the basic "Hello world" program: [root]# g++ -Wall hello.cc -o hello /tmp/ccglIDXK.s: Assembler messages: /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:10: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:38: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:55: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:79: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:81: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:85: Error: suffix or operand...

32 bit Matlab install on 64 bit linux -- missing 32 bit libXp.so.6 library?
I'm trying to install 32 bit Matlab on 64 bit linux I have seen the Technical Solution <http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-O7POO.html?1-O7POO> and some notes for fixing this problem on Fedora <http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-106502.html> However, I'm running Ubuntu 2.6.12-9-amd64-generic, and neither of these takes me all the way to a solution. I'm at the point where I can run the installer with the following: root@lanczos:/usr/local/matlab71_sv# /usr/local/install/install_unix.sh -glnx86 -t -nocp /usr/local/install/unix/install...

32-bit Number * 32-bit Number = 64-bit result
I need to do multiplication that mirrors how C handles integer multiplication. That is, one 32-bit number times another 32-bit number equals the least significant 32-bits of the 64-bit result. In theory, I could mimic that behavior like so: (x * x) & 0xFFFFFFFF But this doesn't work quite right because the initial multiplication can produce such a large result that JavaScript looses some precision. Any thoughts? Ideas? "Jeff.M" <Mott.Jeff@gmail.com> writes: > I need to do multiplication that mirrors how C handles integer > multiplication. That is, one 32-bit...

can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab
can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab in windows platform?.if yes , how is the performance better ? please do answer this question thank u "Gangamma " <gangvsng@gmail.com> wrote in message <hvmr7h$sn0$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab in windows platform?.if yes , how is the performance better ? Yes, Matlab program written in 32/64 bits are compatible accepted MEX file. 64-bit version can handle larger array but does *NOT* improve speed. Br...

can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab #2
can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab in windows platform?.if yes , how is the performance better ? please do answer this question thank u ...

32-bit vs. 64-bit ??
What are the advantages of 64-bit over 32-bit computing? Does DB2 support 64-bit architectures for Windows or Linux? Sam wrote: > What are the advantages of 64-bit over 32-bit computing? Does DB2 > support 64-bit architectures for Windows or Linux? DB2 and Oracle support 64 bit computing and have for some time now. The advantages are in the area of floating-point math, the ability to address large amounts of RAM, moving very large datasets (and that doesn't mean tens or a few hundreds of GB). -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washingt...

64-bit vs 32-bit
for those interested, here is an article comparing speed of 32-bit and 64-bit apps. http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5768&page=1 -nick e. tho I'm sure you all saw it on /. already :-) -- Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect. --Linus Torvalds "Nick E." <nicke@flyingpigs.com> wrote in message news:ADxQb.3988$BA2.1886@newssvr26.news.prodigy.com... > for those interested, here is an article comparing speed of 32-bit and > 64-bit apps. > > http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5...

32 bit or 64 bit Oracle on 64 bit OS?
Hello, Currently our environment is on 10g Release 2, OS windows 2000/2003 standard edition 32 bit. We use shared server to take advantage of scalability and connecting maximum no of simultaneous connections to the database. Now we take advantage of memory beyond 4GB we are planning to check following. 64 bit Windows 2003 standard edition on AMD64/EM64T Servers. Do we need to install 64 bit Oracle as well? Do we need to reinstall Oracle clients with 64 bit installable if Oracle Server is upgraded to 64 bit? Is 32 bit Oracle is certified on 64 bit OS? Do we need to take care of any other issues? Kindly share your experiences and help me to get the answers of these questions. Thanks & Regards, Shailesh Can migrating to Linux will be better option than 64 bit Windows? Please let me know your opinion on this as well. Thanks & Regards, Shailesh Updated Subject. Comments embedded. Shailesh wrote: > Hello, > > Currently our environment is on 10g Release 2, OS windows 2000/2003 > standard edition 32 bit. We use shared server to take advantage of > scalability and connecting maximum no of simultaneous connections to > the database. Now we take advantage of memory beyond 4GB we are > planning to check following. > > 64 bit Windows 2003 standard edition on AMD64/EM64T Servers. > > Do we need to install 64 bit Oracle as well? Yes, 64 bit Oracle is required on 64 bit Windows. The 32 bit version of Oracle may work, but is not su...

32 vs 64 bit Matlab
Dumb question ... How do I find out, the Matlab that I am using is 32 bit or 64 bit? Is there any addition to the command 'version' which will tell me this? Chaos Chaos wrote: > Dumb question ... > > How do I find out, the Matlab that I am using is 32 bit or > 64 bit? Is there any addition to the command 'version' which > will tell me this? > > Chaos Either of these will tell you: help computer help mexext Dan ...

Matlab 64 bit on 32 bit server
Right now we have Matlab R2007a running on a 32 bit Linux server, which is accessed from our 32 bit workstations. Next week we will be adding a few workstations with 64 bit CPU's, so I have a couple of questions: 1) Can I install the 64 bit version of Matlab on a 32 bit server and run it from a 64 bit workstation? If yes, 2) Can I install both 32 and 64 bit versions of Matlab on the same server, and have the license manager handle both? Or do I need two license managers running? Detailed steps would be greatly appreciated. On Apr 10, 4:22 pm, "Joachim Stahl" <s...@hotmai...

Help
I am assisting my IT Director in doing an analysis for my company about switching to 64 bit machines. My company is a large group with many business divisions - some small and small big. Each operates independently. There various different spplications that are run in the company (not all in the same machine) - ERP, custom built database applications, CAD/CAM applications, number crunching modelling software, MS office, email, etc. Some of the questions that I am addressing are: 1. Should we be buying 64-bit now or wait? What does it mean to the company? To the IT department? 2...

AIX 32 bit vs 64 bit
Hi, I am installing a new AIX 5.2 operating system. I have to decide between 32-bit and 64-bit kernel. From different message boards and IBM website, I don't see any reason to install 32-bit kernel. Looks like all 32 bit applications will work on 64-bit kernel. Is this correct? If this true why does IBM even supply a 32-bit kernel? Thanks for your time, Joe On 2004-02-12, Joseph Silverius <josil@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > I am installing a new AIX 5.2 operating system. I have to decide > between 32-bit and 64-bit kernel. From different message boards and > IBM we...

Help
I am assisting my IT Director in doing an analysis for my company about switching to 64 bit machines. My company is a large group with many business divisions - some small and small big. Each operates independently. There various different spplications that are run in the company (not all in the same machine) - ERP, custom built database applications, CAD/CAM applications, number crunching modelling software, MS office, email, etc. Some of the questions that I am addressing are: 1. Should we be buying 64-bit now or wait? What does it mean to the company? To the IT department? 2. A lot of people say because there are not many 64 bit applications and there is no point in migrating to 64-bit. Is this true? 3. Terminal Services - how many more users will 64-bit TS support? How does 64-bit TS compare to 32-bit TS? 4. Are there any compelling reasons for us to consider 64 bit processors? If there is anything significant you want to add, please do. I would also appreciate links to useful information about these issues. Thanks in advance. Sowmya A 64-bit machine/OS is generally better at handling large quantities of RAM. (> 4Gigs) There are advantages to having a 64-bit system for tasks which involve handling large amounts of data. DBMS, CAD/CAM, number crunching modeling, etc. Whether your mail client is 32-bit or 64-bit won't matter. Unless someone types at a rate of 40-million chars/sec. or regularly creates 10-gigabyte documents then using a 64-bit word proces...

32-bit vs. 64-bit libraries
I have RHEL version 3 EM64T on an HP ProLiant DL380 G4. I've installed HP's version of snmpd with their cmaX extensions. When I fire up snmpd, I get: /usr/sbin/snmpd: error while loading shared libraries: libwrap.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory ldd also shows that library (and others) missing, but if you strace, you see that it in fact looks at libraries in /usr/lib64 (where the missing libs are), but after looking at the first few bytes, ldd looks elsewhere for the file. It appears that it won't link 64-bit libraries in at runtime, and since I h...

Help
I am assisting my IT Director in doing an analysis for my company about switching to 64 bit machines. My company is a large group with many business divisions - some small and small big. Each operates independently. There various different spplications that are run in the company (not all in the same machine) - ERP, custom built database applications, CAD/CAM applications, number crunching modelling software, MS office, email, etc. Some of the questions that I am addressing are: 1. Should we be buying 64-bit now or wait? What does it mean to the company? To the IT department? 2. A lot of pe...

32 bits vs. 64 bits Oracle
I am about to update Oracle from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0 on a Sun E3500 running Solaris 7. If I have the chance to choose, should I prefer the 64 bit version instead of the 32 bit version? Would anyone explain the difference in general, and perhaps in the particular case of Oracle? The machine has 2 GB and won't ever get more. By the way, if if booting kernel/unix (32 bit Kernel), will any 64 bit software still run? We have had a case the other way around: A special software won't run properly if booting the 64 bit Kernel. Thanks in advance Rick Denoire In article <7kc9uvop07odr9k0heb...

64-bit vs 32-bit tclsh
I thought I would see what the performance differences are between 32- and 64-bit builds on x86 processors. Builds are from 8.5a3 sources, with default configuration. Running on an Athlon64 under SuSe 9.3, the 64-bit version is 1.2 to 1.5 times faster, on tclbench tests (excluding I/O). Full test results: www.sfu.ca/~gay/tcl3264.pdf -- *** To reply by e-mail, make double u single in address *** ...

Matlab 32 Bit on 64 bit OS
Dear Readers I am planning to buy a 64 bit Laptop having 64 bit Windows 7 O.S. Presently I am using Matlab R2006b 32 bit version. I want to know, 1. If I can install R2006b 32 bit on the 64 bit OS and if yes, 2. Will the compiled application, using the mcc command produce a 32 bit application, which could be deployed on my clients computer having a 32 bit WINDOWS XP OS? Thanks Vihang ...

Perl 32-bit vs 64-bit question
When I have used Python 64-bit I have run into problems (third party libraries not working, etc). So I just use Python 32-bit on everything and have no problems. Are there any similar problems with Perl? On a 64-bit computer, am I better off with 64-bit, or better off running 32- bit Perl on everything? I'm looking to use Perl on Windows systems for administration purposes. Thank you for any guidance you can provide. In article <7e2122cd-2e89-4f88-b05b-acaedb1e3ba8@4g2000pbz.googlegroups.com>, snorble <snorble@hotmail.com> wrote: > When I have used Python 64-bit I have r...

CPU: 64-bit vs 32-bit DualCore
Hello, I am planning to buy a new pc for CAD/CAM/CAE. Now, if I have to choose between two CPUs, which one should I prefer: 1. 64-bit single core or 2. 32-bit dual core HT? I will mainly use the pc for: 1. office applications; 2. Internet; 3. CAD: small to medium size assemblies, parts with medium complexity (Solid Works, Unigraphics); 4. CAM: medium complexity NC programs (Unigraphics); 5. FEA: dynamics, statics; medium size models (usually <60 000 elements) (ANSYS, LS-DYNA). Best regards, madz I would go for the 32 bit dual core processor. Reasoning: 64 bit is immature with 64 ...

32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed
I recently made a claim on the Beowulf email list that somebody questioned me on. After some reflection, I'm not as sure as I once was that I'm correct. I'm wondering what you compiler people have to say about this. Here's what I said: "One thing I've noticed about 64-bit computing in general is that it's being oversold. The **only** reason for running in 64-bit mode is if you need the additional address space. Indeed, for some apps this is critical and 64-bit computing solves a real problem. For apps that don't need the extra address space, the benefits of the additional registers in x86-64 are nearly undone by the need to move more bits around, so 32-bit and 64-bit modes are pretty much a push. When you add the additional difficulty of getting 64-bit drivers and what-not, I don't think it's worth messing with 64-bit computing for apps that don't need the address space." Let's say you're a Linux user who never needs to run programs that don't fit in 32-bits. Would you run a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Linux? You compiler people probably have intimate knowledge of the ISA issues here so I'm interested in what you have to say. Cordially, -- Jon Forrest Unix Computing Support College of Chemistry 173 Tan Hall University of California Berkeley Berkeley, CA 94720-1460 510-643-1032 jlforrest@berkeley.edu Jon Forrest wrote: (snip) > "One thing I've noticed about 64-bit computing in general is th...

%eps vs processor (32 bit or 64 bit)
I checked the group messages about "%eps" for 20 pages, but didn't come across architecture specific problems. I assumed that the %eps value would be smaller for a 64 bit architecture, but they are the same on my machines - 32 bit intel, AMD64 with an AMD64 Linux OS, and Intel Centrino duo with an AMD64 Linux OS. My main intention in buying the 64 bit machines was to obtain a more accurate computing environment. By the way, how do 32 bit machines handle double precision? Is it virtual, and therefore slower on 32 bit architecture ...? G=FCrsoy GT wrote: > I checked the group messages about "%eps" for 20 pages, but didn't > come across architecture specific problems. > > I assumed that the %eps value would be smaller for a 64 bit > architecture, but they are the same on my machines - 32 bit intel, > AMD64 with an AMD64 Linux OS, and Intel Centrino duo with an AMD64 > Linux OS. > > My main intention in buying the 64 bit machines was to obtain a more > accurate computing environment. By the way, how do 32 bit machines > handle double precision? Is it virtual, and therefore slower on 32 bit > architecture ...? On 32 bit, as well on 64 bit machines a double floating point number has 64 bits. Both type of architectures have hardware for 64 bits arithmetic. On some machines and with a few compilers there is a 'long double' type which has 128 bits but currently not for gcc o...

64-bit instance on Aix 32 bit kernel / 64 bit hardware
Hi, Is it worth to use 64-bit DB2 instances on a 32-bit kernel, in terms of: - performance - configuration (go beyond the 256 Mb segment for private mem, 1.75 Gb for Bufferpools) - other ? I've seen NIS is not supported, downlevel (64 to 32 bit ?) is not supported .... The "Should I be using DB2 64-bit?" tech note seems confusing: http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=71&context=SSEPGG&q1=64-bit&uid=swg21188114&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en It states some restrictions - You can install 64-bit DB2 UDB Version 8 on 32-bit operating systems only on AIX, HP-UX and Solaris Operating Environments. ==>You will not be able to create or run 64-bit instances. You can only create and run 32-bit instances. <== Really ? The db2setup (8.2 / Aix) asked for 32-bit or 64-bit instance creation. It seems db2iupdt -w 64 works fine, and the instance is functionning, but is it worth ? Thanks for your help, Jean-Marc Jean-Marc, I believe what the technote is trying to say is you can install the 64-bit version of DB2 (i.e. the DB2 binaries) under a 32-bit OS, but once you install the DB2 binaries, you must create DB2 instances in order to operate a DB2 database. I believe it is saying that you cannot create 64-bit instances under a 32-bit OS. If you didn't receive an error in attempting to do so, I guess you are in uncharted territory, and risk not being able to get support from IBM. I'm not ...

Web resources about - Matlab 64 vs 32 bit benchmarking results (on Win XP 64 bit vs Win XP 32 bit SP2) - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Benchmarking (geolocating) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article contains instructions, advice, or how-to content . The purpose of Wikipedia is to present facts, not to train. Please help improve ...

Benchmarking
Since 2008, Home Care Pulse has been the Private Duty Home Care leader in producing the most comprehensive annual national study on the industry. ...

Google Analytics Benchmarking - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
More details at www.seroundtable.com/archives/016634.html

ASUS Tranformer Pad Infinity Benchmarking - YouTube
Transformer Pad Infinity Benchmarks - http://www.netbooknews.com - We are bringing the performance of the new ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity to ...

How Benchmarking Can Improve IT Outsourcing Deals
As IT outsourcing has evolved so, too, have IT outsourcing customers' benchmarking needs. As a result, a new approach to benchmarking is necessary, ...

Apple Marketing SVP Phil Schiller calls out Samsung’s Note 3 benchmarking ‘shenanigans’
... the US Note 3′s benchmark scores with a special, high-power CPU mode that kicks in when the device runs a large number of popular benchmarking ...

UL Acquires Futuremark, Expanding into Benchmarking Services
Earlier this week, in something of an unexpected move, UL (Underwriters Laboratories) and Futuremark announced that UL had acquired the benchmarking ...

Samsung becomes the founding member of a consortium dedicated to benchmarking phones
Smartphones today remind me of computers in the 90s. By that I mean every successive generation blows the previous generation out of the water. ...

Futuremark Releases PCMark for Android: Real World Benchmarking Suite
I'm going to start my article by explaining that I'm not a fan of benchmarks on mobile platforms, because it's difficult to ensure a fair comparison ...