MATLAB parallel to parallel communication

Hi,

I am using MATLAB to communicate between two computers using the parallel
port. Right now I am having issues where either I can read or write on either
computer (using digitalio and addline to add input and output lines), but I am
unable to do both. I have been tinkering with the BIOS settings and it looks like
the computer that is set to ECP is able to write, and the one set to EPP is able to
read, but I can't write form the EPP to ECP computer.  Does anyone have any
suggestions as to what is the best way to configure MATLAB to read and write on
both computers?

Thanks a lot.

Arjun

"Arjun " <arjun_bansal@brown.edu> wrote in message
<ftuuja$9sf$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I am using MATLAB to communicate between two computers
using the parallel
> port. Right now I am having issues where either I can read
or write on either
> computer (using digitalio and addline to add input and
output lines), but I am
> unable to do both. I have been tinkering with the BIOS
settings and it looks like
> the computer that is set to ECP is able to write, and the
one set to EPP is able to
> read, but I can't write form the EPP to ECP computer.
Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to what is the best way to configure MATLAB
to read and write on
> both computers?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Arjun

Hi Arjun,

You may have to set the parallel port to SPP (or legacy
mode) in the BIOS for MATLAB to be able to read and write to
it properly.

If you are trying to read from the control pins, the
following file may be helpful. It addresses an issue with
the control pins on some parallel port hardware.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=19452&objectType=File

- Joel
"Arjun " <arjun_bansal@brown.edu> wrote in message
<ftuuja$9sf$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I am using MATLAB to communicate between two computers
using the parallel
> port. Right now I am having issues where either I can read
or write on either
> computer (using digitalio and addline to add input and
output lines), but I am
> unable to do both. I have been tinkering with the BIOS
settings and it looks like
> the computer that is set to ECP is able to write, and the
one set to EPP is able to
> read, but I can't write form the EPP to ECP computer.
Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to what is the best way to configure MATLAB
to read and write on
> both computers?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Arjun

Hi Arjun,

You may have to set the parallel port to SPP (or legacy
mode) in the BIOS for MATLAB to be able to read and write to
it properly.

If you are trying to read from the control pins, the
following file may be helpful. It addresses an issue with
the control pins on some parallel port hardware.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=19452&objectType=File

- Joel

> Hi Arjun,
>
> You may have to set the parallel port to SPP (or legacy
> mode) in the BIOS for MATLAB to be able to read and write to
> it properly.
>
> If you are trying to read from the control pins, the
> following file may be helpful. It addresses an issue with
> the control pins on some parallel port hardware.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=19452&objectType=File

> - Joel

Thanks for your mail. Is SPP the same as PS/2? My bios has
the following options for LPT1:
PS/2, EPP, ECP.

Thanks,
Arjun

"

> If you are trying to read from the control pins, the
> following file may be helpful. It addresses an issue with
> the control pins on some parallel port hardware.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile
..do?objectId=19452&objectType=File

Is the update compatible with Matlab 2007a?
When I tried to initialize the parallel port using
digitalio, it says that the application has failed to start
because the application configuration is incorrect.

Is there any special command needed to register it?
I tried regsvr32 mwparallel.dll but it fails to register.

Also , in the BIOS there is one more setting that I failed
to mention before called "AT". So the settings are:
Off, AT, PS/2, EPP, ECP
Could you please recommend the best setting?

Thanks,
Arjun
In addition, when trying to connect two computers with
MATLAB on them should I be using a null modem DB-25 cable
or a regular parallel cable? I am using the lattter (I
tried the crossed DB-25 cable also, but nothing seemed to
be going through that).

Does the MATLAB driver expect the control bits to be set in
a certain way at the other end in order to read the data
properly?