MATLAB toolboxes - symbolic math, finite element methods?

Hi,

   I have MATLAB 6.5 (R13), student version.

   I'm finding that I'm doing more and more with the Symbolic Math
toolbox in the student version, and I'm thinking about enhancing it.

   My impression is that the Symbolic Math toolbox in the student
version is the same as the Symbolic Math toolbox you can buy on the
Mathworks web site?  Correct?  (FWIW, the 'ver' command returns:
Symbolic Math Toolbox                     Version 3.0        (R13)

   I notice an Extended Symbolic Math toolbox on The Mathworks website.
  Is this compatible with the Symbolic Math toolbox in the R13 student
version?

   Also, I'm starting to get into Finite Element Methods.  Is there a
toolbox or third-party product for FEM?  I didn't see anything on the
product page, but maybe I overlooked it, or didn't realize what I was
looking at?  (As I said, I'm just getting into FEM, so I'm not very
familar with the terms and jargon yet.)

   Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Bob Pownall
0
repownall (290)

"Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
>   I have MATLAB 6.5 (R13), student version.
>
>   I'm finding that I'm doing more and more with the Symbolic Math toolbox
> in the student version, and I'm thinking about enhancing it.
>
>   My impression is that the Symbolic Math toolbox in the student version
> is the same as the Symbolic Math toolbox you can buy on the Mathworks web
> site?  Correct?  (FWIW, the 'ver' command returns:
> Symbolic Math Toolbox                     Version 3.0        (R13)
>
>   I notice an Extended Symbolic Math toolbox on The Mathworks website. Is
> this compatible with the Symbolic Math toolbox in the R13 student version?

No, the Extended Symbolic Math Toolbox is not available as a companion
product for the Student Version of MATLAB.  For a list of toolboxes and
blocksets that are available as companion products, look here:

http://www.mathworks.com/academia/student_version/companion.html

>   Also, I'm starting to get into Finite Element Methods.  Is there a
> toolbox or third-party product for FEM?  I didn't see anything on the
> product page, but maybe I overlooked it, or didn't realize what I was
> looking at?  (As I said, I'm just getting into FEM, so I'm not very
> familar with the terms and jargon yet.)

The Partial Differential Equation Toolbox uses the Finite Element method;
there are also a number of MATLAB-based books that deal with FEM, as well as
a few MATLAB Central File Exchange submissions about FEM.

http://www.mathworks.com/support/books/

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com

0
slord (13689)
11/18/2005 2:20:09 PM
Steven Lord wrote:
Student Version, here's a link to a page of add-on products I *can* use
with the Student Version the PDE toolbox uses FEM, here are a couple
links to books and Central File Exchange submissions about FEM.>

Thanks for the response.  I'll pick up the PDE toolbox, and probably a
couple of the FEM books as well.

Bob Pownall
0
repownall (290)