MPI Style parallel processing with parallel computing toolbox

It seems that the only way to have a no-shared memory communication-only ba=
sed parallel programming model (la MPI) is by using the spmd construct and =
using labindex to customize code execution. Is there a way for the main mat=
lab process to communicate with the workers in spmd while they are working?

The way I've been getting around this is by assigning one worker as a 'mast=
er' and others as 'workers'
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 17 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

galactic_fury <pratik.mallya@gmail.com> writes:

> It seems that the only way to have a no-shared memory
> communication-only based parallel programming model (la MPI) is by
> using the spmd construct and using labindex to customize code
> execution. Is there a way for the main matlab process to communicate
> with the workers in spmd while they are working?

There is not. The MATLAB client does not in fact have an MPI connection
to the workers.

> The way I've been getting around this is by assigning one worker as a
> 'master' and others as 'workers'

Could I ask what you're trying to do here?

Cheers,

Edric.
0
eellis (488)
2/20/2013 8:33:08 AM
Essentially, its a kind of a numerical method that I'm trying to paralleliz=
e using a master-worker model. e.g take the problem of covering a surface w=
ith polygons: the workers will generate polygons and send it back to the ma=
ster, who will integrate it into the growing cover.

On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 02:33:08 UTC-6, Edric M Ellis  wrote:
> galactic_fury  writes:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > It seems that the only way to have a no-shared memory
>=20
> > communication-only based parallel programming model (la MPI) is by
>=20
> > using the spmd construct and using labindex to customize code
>=20
> > execution. Is there a way for the main matlab process to communicate
>=20
> > with the workers in spmd while they are working?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> There is not. The MATLAB client does not in fact have an MPI connection
>=20
> to the workers.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > The way I've been getting around this is by assigning one worker as a
>=20
> > 'master' and others as 'workers'
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Could I ask what you're trying to do here?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Edric.

parallel for loops without parallel computing toolbox
Is this possible? On 11-03-07 10:12 AM, Nathan Jensen wrote: > Is this possible? That depends on what you mean by "parallel for loops". Matlab has a published external interface. That interface could be used to call out to arbitrary routines that might _somehow_ do computations in parallel, such as by using OpenMP or POSIX Threads or using an operating-system-specific method. Or you could start multiple Matlab instances and have them communicate with each other somehow, such as via shared memory or TCP; there are a couple of Mathworks File Exchange (FEX) contributions for...

parallel computing toolbox without distributive computing toolbox
Hi, Is it true that the parallel computing toolbox won't work if the distributive computing toolbox has not been installed? Because then if I type in 'matlabpool', I received the following err msg: " License checkout failed. License Manager Error -4 Maximum number of users for Distrib_Computing_Toolbox reached. Try again later. To see a list of current users use the lmstat utility or contact your License Administrator. Troubleshoot this issue by visiting: http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/R2008b/4 Diagnostic Information: Feature: Distrib_Computing_Toolbox License pa...

Matlab Student Version and Parallel computing toolbox
I am planning to order the Matlab student version and the parallel computing toolbox. I have access to an Nvidia cuda enabled GPU card.Does the parallel computing toolbox (student version) support GPU computing? I thought I will ask before placing my order. Many Thanks for any help. H On 01/01/11 11:22 PM, Hamdi wrote: > > I am planning to order the Matlab student version and the parallel > computing toolbox. > > I have access to an Nvidia cuda enabled GPU card.Does the parallel > computing toolbox (student version) support GPU computing? > > I tho...

MATLAB parallel to parallel communication
Hi, I am using MATLAB to communicate between two computers using the parallel port. Right now I am having issues where either I can read or write on either computer (using digitalio and addline to add input and output lines), but I am unable to do both. I have been tinkering with the BIOS settings and it looks like the computer that is set to ECP is able to write, and the one set to EPP is able to read, but I can't write form the EPP to ECP computer. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the best way to configure MATLAB to read and write on both computers? Tha...

Speeding up Image Processing Using Parallel Computing Toolbox?
When I write image processing programs, I usually apply morphological operations and regionprops. The function regionprops gets prohibitively slow when there are many objects. The morphological operations are another bottle neck, even though not such big a problem. Is it possible to speed up these operations with Parallel Computing Toolbox? An example program looks like this: function MyProgram() % Image is loaded and segmented. GrayscaleImage = imread('coins.png'); Threshold = rand(1); ThresholdedImage = im2bw(GrayscaleImage, Threshold); ObjectImage NumberOfObjects = bwlabel(Th...

Parallel Computing in Distributed Computing Toolbox
I made the following function/script and I get an empty array of 4 by 0 I wanted to see if I could initialize labs with data, by attaching it to the root. jm = findResource('scheduler','configuration','jobmanager', 'name', ... 'IPS_Manager', 'LookupURL', 'ava-310848'); pjob = createParallelJob(jm); set(pjob, 'MinimumNumberOfWorkers', 4); set(pjob, 'MaximumNumberOfWorkers', 4); createTask(pjob, @getLabIndex, 1, {}); submit(pjob); waitForState(pjob); out = getAllOutputArguments(pjob) clear jm; function foo = getLabIn...

CALL FOR PAPERS -- Special Session on Massively Parallel Processing at the 9th Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models -- IPDPS
*** CALL FOR PAPERS *** 2007 International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models Special Session on Massively Parallel Processing *** Submission Deadline December 4th 2006 *** As part of the Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computing Models (APDCM), the aim of this special session is to focus on computer systems that can scale to many thousands of processing elements and are used to solve a single problem. The focus is on identifying new and novel ideas rather than proving incremental advances...

CALL FOR PAPERS -- Special Session on Massively Parallel Processing at the 9th Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models -- IPDPS
*** CALL FOR PAPERS *** 2007 International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models Special Session on Massively Parallel Processing *** Submission Deadline December 4th 2006 *** As part of the Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computing Models (APDCM), the aim of this special session is to focus on computer systems that can scale to many thousands of processing elements and are used to solve a single problem. The focus is on identifying new and novel ideas rather than proving incremental advances. By concurrently exploring architecture, programming models, algorithms and applications, the session seeks to advance the state-of-the-art of Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) systems. Following the usual IPDPS practice, all MPP papers will be published in the Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS). Topics of Interest: The topics of interest to this special session are: (+) Architectures and Experimental Systems: the use of increased parallelism on a single chip (MPP on a chip), the coordination and communication between massive numbers of processing elements, the use of processors in memory (PIMS), and parallelism in emerging technologies. (+) Large-scale Computing: the utilization of MPPs for large-scale computing, achieving peta-scale levels of processing, use of heterogeneous processing capabilities. (+) Paralleli...

[ANN] parallel: simple parallel processing.
If you ever write a shell script along the lines of: some | ppieline | bash then you may be interested in my program parallel. The above line would be written as: some | pipeline | parallel 4 to perform the same task, but with 4 commands running in parallel. There is a companion program, ssh_parallel which will distribute the jobs over a number of machines (assuming you have passwordless SSH set up). Webpage: http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~er258/code/index.html Download: http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~er258/code/dist/parallel-1.0.tar.gz On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 01:41:16 +0000, Edward Rosten wrote: >...

parallel computing in matlab
Hi I like to use parallel threads, to use the multiple processor cores. (I have a quadcore system and frankly when using matlab despite all mathworks claims I NEVER EVER spotted it using more than 1 core (i.e. 25% CPU usage!) - yes I enabled multithreading support in the preferences). Anyway. So I want to take things in my own hands. So I started with and example of an "embarresingly parallel task: filtering 12 images. The images are in the variable imgs{...} tic I={}; h = fspecial('gaussian',30,30); for jj= 1:size(imgs,2) I{jj}=imfilter(imgs{jj},h); end toc -> this takes about 17seconds and uses 27%CPU. when I replace the for statement with parfor or for jj= drange( 1,size(imgs,2)) -> well it takes about 17 seconds and CPU usage is 27%. great. WTF am I (or Mathworks) doing wrong? M. P.S. using 2007b "Mark Schira" <mschira@unsw.edu.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:16559815.1214827100613.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org... > Hi > I like to use parallel threads, to use the multiple processor cores. (I > have a quadcore system and frankly when using matlab despite all mathworks > claims I NEVER EVER spotted it using more than 1 core (i.e. 25% CPU > usage!) - yes I enabled multithreading support in the preferences). > > Anyway. So I want to take things in my own hands. So I started with and > example of an "embarresingly parallel task: filtering 12 images. The > images are in the variable imgs...

matlab for parallel computing
Is any body doing parallel computing with matlab here? ...

Parallel processing in matlab !!
Hi, I want to implement parfor in my code (which takes lot of time if i use only for loops). but, when i test a simple code to see the differences btw for and parfor, puzzlingly, parfor took more time than for. so i wonder, at what circumstances i need to implement parfor loop or does the code has to to running times longer to implement parfor function? thanks in advance Arun These are some of the costs associated with the parallel/distributed approach: 1. Fixed cost associated with setting up the separate workers ( i.e. MATLAB sessions) 2. Communication overhead associated wit...

Parallel Computing Toolbox
When i try to start the jobmanager on the host computer it doesn't show any progress. The only message i get is .......................................................................................................... Contacting the mdce service on the host *** to start the job manager lookup process .......................................................................................................... The host is visible in the network, at least i can ping it. MDCS is up and running. Ports 27350 and 27352 are open. when i try to locate the resource i get ...............................

Hello friends, I want to know that ,is it possible to do parallel computing with MATLAB on a single computer.I want that different modules communicate and interlinked with each other so that called by other functions also. Hi, have a look at the distributed computing toolbox: http://www.mathworks.com/products/distribtb/ Although mainly intended to seperate the workload to different machines you may also run it on one machine... Titus www.mathworks.com\products\dis "shivi chaturvedi" <shivi79@rediffmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ef3d35a.-1@webcrossing...

Parallel Processing in Matlab?
Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to run multiple m-files parallelly in MATLAB. For example, suppose I need to run 'n' script files all independent of each other. I needed it for a robotics application. Is it possible to assign preferences to the processes(like in real time processes) so that a process of lesser preference is put on the hold if a more preferred task needs to be run. Please give details, as I am not very used to MATLAB. Thanks in advance. Regards... ...

Parallel Computing and "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
while using parfor loop, I get "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." error generated from an executable function embedded in the parfor loop. The function opens a file "tmp.key" and writes an image file "tmp.pgm" into "tmp.key" file. However, it seems that when this parfor loop runs on parallel processors, the processors are unable to access this "tmp.key" at the same time, and hence, the error is generated. First of all, is my assesment correct? secondly, how to resolve this issue and use parfor loop successfully. Any help is greatly appreciated, please. Irteza "Syed " <irtezaa@gatech.edu> writes: > while using parfor loop, I get "The process cannot access the file > because it is being used by another process." error generated from an > executable function embedded in the parfor loop. The function opens a > file "tmp.key" and writes an image file "tmp.pgm" into "tmp.key" > file. However, it seems that when this parfor loop runs on parallel > processors, the processors are unable to access this "tmp.key" at the > same time, and hence, the error is generated. First of all, is my > assesment correct? secondly, how to resolve this issue and use parfor > loop successfully. > > Any help is greatly appreciated, please. It sounds like your assessment is correct. By ...

Speed-up computation of equation containing several matrix sub-computations using parallel processing?
Hello, I'm trying to solve an equation of the form: Y = Y0 - ( Un.* (A*Y0) + Vn.*(Y0*Z) )*delta_t as efficiently as possible where Y0, Un, Vn, A, and Z are all square matrices of size on the order of 300 X 300 and delta_t is a constant. Would computing A2 = A*Y0 and Z2 = Y0*Z followed by Un2 = Un.*A2 and Vn2 = Vn.*Z2 in parallel speed-up the overall computation of Y? If so, what is the best way to do this (having access to the Parallel Computing Toolbox and a dual-core processor)? Is there another/better way? Or does MATLAB automatically/internally optimize efficiency o...

My parallel toolbox does not have GPU computing
Hello My Matlab version is R2010a 64bit Linux. I can see that my Matlab comes with parallel toolbox. However, in that toolbox, I can not find GPU computing subsection. Matlab therefore gives error when I call "gpuArray". I wonder why is that, is that because my Matlab Version is old, or do I have to purchase a separate gpu toolbox? "Peng " <pengguan1983@gmail.com> wrote in message news:j601v9$28v$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > Hello > > My Matlab version is R2010a 64bit Linux. I can see that my Matlab comes > with parallel toolbox. However, in th...

Parallel Computing Toolbox and Hyperthreading
I recently purchased a quad-core i7. With hyperthreading enabled my OS (Ubuntu 10.10) recognizes 8 cores. However when I try to open a matlabpool session using more than 4 clients I get an error saying I am trying to create more sessions than I have cores. Is it possible to enable matlab to use the virtual cores that are created via hyperthreading? "Stuart Layton" <neurostu@yahoo.com> writes: > I recently purchased a quad-core i7. With hyperthreading enabled my OS > (Ubuntu 10.10) recognizes 8 cores. However when I try to open a > matlabpool session using more than ...

Installing Parallel Computing toolbox
Hello, I am trying to set up the Parallel Computing toolbox (MATLAB win64, 2009a). The toolbox folder and .enc files appear in the MATLAB installation files, but in the setup it doesn't appear in the toolbox installation list. It isn't already installed, since when I type "doc distcomp/parfor" the documentation doesn't appear, when I use parfor only one core is used, and it doesn't find matlabpool. Note that I am only interested in using parallelization on a single (multi-core) machine, so I shouldn't need the Distributed Computing toolbox (should I?). Ale...

Parallel computing toolbox #3
Hi, I am using wring some codes to run my program in parallel using the matlab parallel toolbox. My program is all based on command line and no GUI is provided. So I am wondering if I can use command line to - detect how many cpus can be set to be a worker - set up the local workers, - and any other commands that dealing with this parallel toolbox Thanks very much. "George " <guanjihou@gmail.com> writes: > I am using wring some codes to run my program in parallel using the matlab > parallel toolbox. My program is all based on command line and no GUI is > p...

matlab parallel computing problem
in pmode, I creaed a segment and output is: lab1: 1 2 3 lab2: 11 12 13 lab3: 21 22 23 lab4: 31 32 33 When I am using " whole = codistributed(segment, codistributor()) " The system told " ??? Undefined function or variable 'codistributor'. " What's the problem.... flycod <jby1985@gmail.com> writes: > in pmode, I creaed a segment and output is: > lab1: 1 2 3 > lab2: 11 12 13 > lab3: 21 22 23 > lab4: 31 32 33 > > When I am using " whole = codistributed(segment, codistributor()) " > > The system told " ??? Undef...

parallel computing toolbox error
I am running MATLAB R2008a on a LINUX machine and trying to use the parallel computing toolbox. When I run the code: %--------------parforTest.m------------------ matlabpool open; tic; A=zeros(1, 20480); parfor i = 1:20480 A(i) = sin(i*2*pi/2048); end toc plot(A); matlabpool close; %------------------------------------------- I got the error message: %-------------------------BEGIN------------------------------------------ Starting matlabpool using the parallel configuration 'local'. Waiting for parallel job to start... Connected to a matlabpool session with 4 labs. ??? Error...

Parallel Computing Toolbox performance
I'm wondering where I can get performance info on the Parallel Computing Toolbox. I've finally got fed up with waiting hours for my code to crunch and am wondering how much acceleration I can hope to get using the toolbox. Should I just buy as many cores as I can afford, or are there known limits on the number of cores the PCT can deploy to? "Matt J " <mattjacREMOVE@THISieee.spam> wrote in message <i1th2c$1e7$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I'm wondering where I can get performance info on the Parallel Computing Toolbox. > I've finally got fed up wit...

Web resources about - MPI Style parallel processing with parallel computing toolbox - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Analog signal processing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Analog signal processing is any signal processing conducted on analog signals by analog means. "Analog" indicates something that is mathematically ...

Conexant Announces New Audio Processing Solutions At CES
At CES, Conexant gave me a demo of some of the audio processing technology that they've been working on. Conexant is a company that probably ...

Common payment processing protocols found to be full of flaws
Credit card users could have their PINs stolen, and merchants could have their bank accounts pillaged, in a set of attacks demonstrated by researchers ...

Government "Processing Error" Sinks Housing Reports for Entire Year; Where to From Here?
Huge "Processing Error" in Government Housing Data When I saw some of the upwardly revised GDP estimates in 2015 I thought they were too good ...

THE PAYMENTS ECOSYSTEM: Everything you need to know about the next era of payment processing
The way we pay has changed dramatically. People are using their smartphones for every kind of formal and informal transaction — to shop at stores, ...

Audi turns to Qualcomm power for entertainment, navigation processing
Qualcomm proves its chip-making innovation, announcing a deal at CES where Audi will use its first automotive quality infotainment chipset, the ...

Feds Stop Processing NICS Denial Appeals
Obama Administration Enacts More Gun Control By Misusing FBI Background Check System

This just in: Marco Rubio's substance is thinner than an Intel processing chip
In case you hadn't already guessed it, Marco Rubio's got a smile and a stump speech, but that's about it. Reporters who have followed him from ...

Food Processing: It's What Makes Us Human
Turning raw ingredients into something more has played an important role in our evolution.

Nvidia Ramps Up Processing Power for Self-Driving Cars
With its new Drive PX 2 platform, the GPU maker is offering a computer that can deliver up to 8 teraflops of computing power to autonomous vehicles. ...