Muscle Wrapping over an cylinder - Shortest path

Dear all,

I have two points, between which I want to calculate the shortest path along the surface of an ellipsoid. In order to obtain the shortest line between P1 and P2 around a cylinder, tangent points R1 and R2 must be calculated. The cylinder is defined by its central axis with position vector O and unit direction vector d, and by its radius r. The shortest line, including P1, P2, R1 and R2 is assumed to be in one plane.

There are several articles published on muscle wrapping, I use the following equations:
* Normal vector n: n = (P1-P2) x d x (P1-P2)   (Eq 1)
* Vector Nr1, perpendicular to the central axis and through R, can be calculated by the following three equations:
   (1)    dx*Nr1x +  dy*Nr1y +  dz*Nr1z  =  0             (Eq 2)
   (2)    P1x*Nr1x +  P1y*Nr1y +  P1z*Nr1z + 1 =  0   (Eq 3)
   (3)    Ox*Nr1x +  Oy*Nr1y +  Oz*Nr1z + r +  1 =  0 (Eq 4)
* Tangent Point R1 = P1 + Lambda1* L1                   (Eq 5)
* Direction vector L1 = n x Nr1                                 (Eq 6)
* R1 is on the surface of the cylinder, which is described by:
   [(Rx-Ox)dy  -  (Ry-Oy)dz]^2  +  [(Ry-Oy)dz  -  (Rz-Oz)dy]^2  + [(Rz-Oz)dx  -  (Rx-Ox)dz]^2  - r^2 =0                                                 (Eq 7)

lambda 1 is calculated by substituting Eq5 in Eq 7, and so R1 can be calculated. R2 can be calculated similarly.

Now, my code, when I plot R1 and R2, this is not correct. I hope someone can help me detect my mistake and maybe can tell me how to correctly plot the geodesic between R1 and R2.

X1=[1 1 1];         % Startpoint cylinder
X2=[41 5 10];       % End point cylinder
r=5;                % Radius
P1=[30,-8,5];P2=[17,10,0];
scatter3(P1(1,1),P1(1,2),P1(1,3))
hold on
scatter3(P2(1,1),P2(1,2),P2(1,3))

d=(X2-X1); %
d=d(:).'/norm(d) % directional vector
O=X1;               % position vector

N1 = [0;0;0];    % Werkt voor aMCL, pop Ten,pmcl
options = optimset('Display','iter','Algorithm',{'levenberg-marquardt',.005},'MaxIter',600,'MaxFunEvals',1400);% Werkt voor aMCL/pmcl,Werkt voor pop Ten
[N]=fsolve(@SolveCylinder, N1,options,P1,d,r,O);

n=cross(cross((P1-P2),d),(P1-P2));   % Normal vector n
n=n(:).'/norm(n);
L1 = cross(n,N);
lambda=[0;0;0];                      % Startvalues lambda
options = optimset('Display','iter','Algorithm',{'levenberg-marquardt',.005},'MaxIter',600,'MaxFunEvals',1400);% Werkt voor aMCL/pmcl,Werkt voor pop Ten
[LL]=fsolve(@SolveCylinderR1, lambda,options,P1,L1,d,O,r);
LL

R1x=P1(1,1)+LL(1)*L1(1,1)
R1y=P1(1,2)+LL(2)*L1(1,2)
R1z=P1(1,3)+LL(3)*L1(1,3)
scatter3(R1x,R1y,R1z,'*','r')
plot3([P1(1,1) R1x],[P1(1,2) R1y],[P1(1,3) R1z],'r' )
plot3([P1(1,1) P2(1,1)],[P1(1,2) P2(1,2)],[P1(1,3) P2(1,3)],'r' )

options = optimset('Display','iter','MaxIter',600);
[N]=fsolve(@SolveCylinder, N1,options,P2,d,r,O);
L1 = cross(n,N);
options = optimset('Display','iter','Algorithm',{'levenberg-marquardt',.005},'MaxIter',600,'MaxFunEvals',1400);% Werkt voor aMCL/pmcl,Werkt voor pop Ten
[LL]=fsolve(@SolveCylinderR1, lambda,options,P2,L1,d,O,r);
R2x=P2(1,1)+LL(1)*L1(1,1)
R2y=P2(1,2)+LL(2)*L1(1,2)
R2z=P2(1,3)+LL(3)*L1(1,3)
scatter3(R2x,R2y,R2z,'*','r')
plot3([P2(1,1) R2x],[P2(1,2) R2y],[P2(1,3) R2z],'r' )

R1=[R1x,R1y,R1z];
R2=[R2x,R2y,R2z];
0
Els
6/3/2010 1:06:04 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 206933 articles. 560 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

I forgot to add the two equation solver functions. Still hope someone can help me.
A lot of thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Els

_________________________
function [F] = SolveCylinderR1(lambda,P1,L1,d,O,r)

F = (((((P1(1,1)+lambda(1)*L1(1,1))-O(1,1))*d(1,2))-(((P1(1,2)+lambda(2)*L1(1,2))-O(1,2))*d(1,1)))^2   +   ((((P1(1,2)+lambda(2)*L1(1,2))-O(1,2))*d(1,3))-(((P1(1,3)+lambda(3)*L1(1,3))-O(1,3))*d(1,2)))^2   + ((((P1(1,3)+lambda(3)*L1(1,3))-O(1,3))*d(1,1))-(((P1(1,1)+lambda(1)*L1(1,1))-O(1,1))*d(1,3)))^2 -r^2 );
_____________________________
function [F] = SolveCylinder(N1,P1,d,r,O)

F = [ ((P1(1,1)*N1(1))+ (P1(1,2)*N1(2)) +(P1(1,3)*N1(3))+1);
       (d(1,1)*N1(1)+ d(1,2)*N1(2) +d(1,3)*N1(3));
      ((O(1,1)*N1(1))+ (O(1,2)*N1(2)) +(O(1,3)*N1(3))+r+1)];
0
Els
6/4/2010 9:00:30 AM
Sorry to post here again, but the deadline of my project is approaching, and I still do not see what I am doing wrong. Tried all the - and + thing, but haven't found it.

Sorry, I am a bit desperite.
0
Els
6/4/2010 3:27:04 PM
"Els " <y.e.t.reeuwijk@student.utwente.nl> wrote in message <hu89bs$ito$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> I have two points, between which I want to calculate the shortest path along the surface of an ellipsoid. In order to obtain the shortest line between P1 and P2 around a cylinder, tangent points R1 and R2 must be calculated. The cylinder is defined by its central axis with position vector O and unit direction vector d, and by its radius r. The shortest line, including P1, P2, R1 and R2 is assumed to be in one plane.
- - - - - - - - - -
  I don't understand your reasoning involving what appear to be two discretely separated points P1 and P2 on a cylinder.  Also I don't know what you mean by the two "tangent points" R1 and R2, unless perhaps you mean the points at the ends of unit-length tangent vectors.

  However, I do know that the geodesic on a strictly circular cylindrical surface is always a helical path spiraling around the cylinder, and that is not a curve that is contained in any plane.  In particular the statement "the shortest line, including P1, P2, R1 and R2 is assumed to be in one plane" is incorrect.

  Demonstrating this fact involves reasoning on the infinitesimal level and is actually a problem in the calculus of variations.  A basic principle for any geodesic on a surface is that the curve's normal - that is the direction of change of its unit-length tangent vector - must always be parallel to the cylinder's surface normal.  In this case that forces the angle of the cylindrical coordinates to be a linear function of the axial coordinate, and that necessarily defines a helix.  It is rather easy to show if the above principle is properly applied.

Roger Stafford
0
Roger
6/5/2010 7:12:06 AM
Dear Roger,

Thanks for your complete response, very clear.

P1 and P2 are no points on a cylinder, they are random points in space. The R1 and R2 are tangent points on the surface of the cylinder. So there will come a straight line from P1 to R1, then a  geodesic over the surface of the cylinder from R1 to R2 and then again a straight line from R2 to P2. Resulting in the shortest path from P1 to P2.

To get this, you have to make some assumptions, in the article I got from my Professor, was stated that the 4 points should be assumed to be in one plane.

You stated that it was easy to show the above, did you mean my code, or your principle?

Best wishes, Els
0
Els
6/5/2010 9:34:05 AM
"Els " <y.e.t.reeuwijk@student.utwente.nl> wrote in message <hud5md$sg3$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Dear Roger,
>
> Thanks for your complete response, very clear.
>
> P1 and P2 are no points on a cylinder, they are random points in space. The R1 and R2 are tangent points on the surface of the cylinder. So there will come a straight line from P1 to R1, then a  geodesic over the surface of the cylinder from R1 to R2 and then again a straight line from R2 to P2. Resulting in the shortest path from P1 to P2.
>
> To get this, you have to make some assumptions, in the article I got from my Professor, was stated that the 4 points should be assumed to be in one plane.
>
> You stated that it was easy to show the above, did you mean my code, or your principle?
>
> Best wishes, Els
- - - - - - - - -
  If R1 and R2 are points on the cylinder connected by a geodesic curve on the cylinder, and if P1R1 and P2R2 are lines pointing out along the two geodesic tangent directions at R1 and R2, respectively, then no, the two lines P1R1 and P2R2 cannot be assumed to lie in a common plane.  Go to the extreme of a helix that has wrapped halfway around the cylinder and you can easily see that this would be impossible.

  In answer to your question, I was stating that, given the principle that a geodesic curve's normal direction should always be parallel to the surface normal at every point, then the geodesic on a cylinder must be a helix.  That is comparatively easy to show.  I confess I didn't study your code carefully because the initial assumption of a common plane was apparently false.

  To show that the geodesic must be a helix, do the following.  Cartesian coordinates, r, t, and z (where t is short for theta) are related to cartesian coordinates by:

 x = r*cos(t)
 y = r*sin(t)
 z = z

Letting s be the arc length along a geodesic, we have

 ds = sqrt(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2) = sqrt((dx/dz)^2+(dy/dz)^2+1)*dz =
 sqrt(r^2*(dt/dz)^2+1)*dz

Therefore the unit tangent is

 [dx/ds , dy/ds , dz/ds] = [dx/dz , dy/dz , 1]*dz/ds =
 [dx/dz , dy/dz , 1]*/sqrt(r^2*(dt/dz)^2+1) =
 [-r*sin(t)*dt/dz , r*cos(t)*dt/dz , 1]/sqrt(r^2*(dt/dz)^2+1)

The geodesic normal is the derivative with respect to s of this unit tangent vector, and it must always be parallel to the surface normal which is [cost) , sin(t) , 0].  The derivative of the third component of the unit tangent will have a factor of d(dt/dz)/dz and since this component is zero in the surface normal, this second derivative must also be zero.  That shows that dt/dz is a constant, and t is therefore a linear function of z.  Hence the geodesic must be a helix.

Roger Stafford
0
Roger
6/5/2010 5:06:04 PM
Dear Roger,

The assumption of the fact that P1,P2,R1 and R2 are in one plane is correct, because is is about muscle wrapping, and the muscles do not wrap around the whole cylinder, but only have real small part arc length on the cylinder its self. I tried to understand your explanation further, but I must admit, that it is too difficult for me. The dx, dy, dz....are that the distances between R1 and R2? But I do not have R1 and R2, I want to calculate them. The only distance I know on forehand is the distance between P1 and P2, and the position and direction of the axis of the cylinder.

Hope I do not frustrate you, because I do appriciate your help very much. So thanks again a lot.

Best Wishes,

Els
0
Els
6/5/2010 7:34:03 PM
"Els " <y.e.t.reeuwijk@student.utwente.nl> wrote in message <hue8rb$80i$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Dear Roger,
>
> The assumption of the fact that P1,P2,R1 and R2 are in one plane is correct, because is is about muscle wrapping, and the muscles do not wrap around the whole cylinder, but only have real small part arc length on the cylinder its self. I tried to understand your explanation further, but I must admit, that it is too difficult for me. The dx, dy, dz....are that the distances between R1 and R2? But I do not have R1 and R2, I want to calculate them. The only distance I know on forehand is the distance between P1 and P2, and the position and direction of the axis of the cylinder.
>
> Hope I do not frustrate you, because I do appriciate your help very much. So thanks again a lot.
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> Els

  No, I must firmly disagree with you.  Even with a very small travel along a helix, the two lines R1P1 and R2P2 will not be coplanar.  I only asked you to envision things halfway around because the statement should be glaringly obvious in that case.  If you doubt this, try plugging some numbers into those formulae I gave you for a much smaller separation and check if the four points are coplanar.  Four points, [x1,y1,z1], [x2,y2,z2], [x3,y3,z3], [x4,y4,z4], are coplanar if and only if the determinant

 det([x1,x2,x3,x4;y1,y2,y3,y4;z1,z2,z3,z4;1,1,1,1])

is equal to zero.

  However, your intuition ought to tell you that if the points are not colinear when the rotation is half way around the cylinder, that situation is not likely to suddenly clear up even if they are only part way around the cylinder.  Actually they can't be coplanar unless P1 and P2 are the same points, or else the angle around the helix is some multiple of 2*pi (360 degrees).

Roger Stafford
0
Roger
6/5/2010 10:32:04 PM
Ok, and now I do have the two points on the surface. How do I calculate the distance between them? Because the problem is that my cylinder is rotated along a line, and that I can't use the calculation below.

------------------------

If P1 and P2 have rectangular coordinates (x1,y1,z1) and (x2,y2,z2), their cylindrical
coordinates are (r*cos(t1),r*sin(t1),z1) and (r*cos(t2),r*sin(t2),z2), where t1 and t2 are in
radians.  If we now unroll the cylinder onto the plane x=r, P1 goes to Q1 and P2 goes to
Q2.  The rectangular coordinates of Q1 and Q2 are
Q1=(r,r*t1,z1)
Q2=(r,r*t2,z2)

The distance d from P1 to P2, on the cylinder, is equal to the distance from Q1 to Q2,
namely,

d = sqrt[ (r*t1 - r*t2)^2 + (z1-z2)^2 ]
-------------------------
0
Els
6/6/2010 2:23:04 PM
"Els " <y.e.t.reeuwijk@student.utwente.nl> wrote in message <hugb08$ns6$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Ok, and now I do have the two points on the surface. How do I calculate the distance between them? Because the problem is that my cylinder is rotated along a line, and that I can't use the calculation below.
>
> ------------------------
>
> If P1 and P2 have rectangular coordinates (x1,y1,z1) and (x2,y2,z2), their cylindrical
> coordinates are (r*cos(t1),r*sin(t1),z1) and (r*cos(t2),r*sin(t2),z2), where t1 and t2 are in
> radians.  If we now unroll the cylinder onto the plane x=r, P1 goes to Q1 and P2 goes to
> Q2.  The rectangular coordinates of Q1 and Q2 are
> Q1=(r,r*t1,z1)
> Q2=(r,r*t2,z2)
>
> The distance d from P1 to P2, on the cylinder, is equal to the distance from Q1 to Q2,
> namely,
>
> d = sqrt[ (r*t1 - r*t2)^2 + (z1-z2)^2 ]
> -------------------------

  Yes, that last formula is indeed the best way to calculate the kind of cylindrical "distance" you are seeking.  It should however be modified a bit.  Something like this:

 d = sqrt((r*(mod(t2-t1+pi,2*pi)-pi))^2+(z1-z2)^2)

The unrolled cylinder has to be conceived as having at least two other unrolled copies rather than just the one extending from 0 to 2*pi*r, and you need to select the shortest straight line path between the copies of P1 and P2.  The mod operation above does that.

  As for making use of this method, you first have to do a translation of some point on your axis line over to the origin and bring P1 and P2 along with it.  Then you have to rotate this translated axis so as to lie along the z-axis, again rotating P1 and P2 along with it.  I think you've had advice in the past about how to do this rotation.  Next you convert the new P1 and P2 cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates.  Then finally you can use the above method.

  By the way, this method of unrolling a cylinder should be a powerful indicator that indeed the geodesics on circular cylinders are the helices (except of course when the angles are equal and they are straight lines, or when the z coordinates are equal and they are circles.)

Roger Stafford
0
Roger
6/6/2010 4:46:03 PM
"Roger Stafford" <ellieandrogerxyzzy@mindspring.com.invalid> wrote in message <hugjcb$23v$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Els " <y.e.t.reeuwijk@student.utwente.nl> wrote in message <hugb08$ns6$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Ok, and now I do have the two points on the surface. How do I calculate the distance between them? Because the problem is that my cylinder is rotated along a line, and that I can't use the calculation below.
> >
> > ------------------------
> >
> > If P1 and P2 have rectangular coordinates (x1,y1,z1) and (x2,y2,z2), their cylindrical
> > coordinates are (r*cos(t1),r*sin(t1),z1) and (r*cos(t2),r*sin(t2),z2), where t1 and t2 are in
> > radians.  If we now unroll the cylinder onto the plane x=r, P1 goes to Q1 and P2 goes to
> > Q2.  The rectangular coordinates of Q1 and Q2 are
> > Q1=(r,r*t1,z1)
> > Q2=(r,r*t2,z2)
> >
> > The distance d from P1 to P2, on the cylinder, is equal to the distance from Q1 to Q2,
> > namely,
> >
> > d = sqrt[ (r*t1 - r*t2)^2 + (z1-z2)^2 ]
> > -------------------------
>
>   Yes, that last formula is indeed the best way to calculate the kind of cylindrical "distance" you are seeking.  It should however be modified a bit.  Something like this:
>
>  d = sqrt((r*(mod(t2-t1+pi,2*pi)-pi))^2+(z1-z2)^2)
>
> The unrolled cylinder has to be conceived as having at least two other unrolled copies rather than just the one extending from 0 to 2*pi*r, and you need to select the shortest straight line path between the copies of P1 and P2.  The mod operation above does that.
>
>   As for making use of this method, you first have to do a translation of some point on your axis line over to the origin and bring P1 and P2 along with it.  Then you have to rotate this translated axis so as to lie along the z-axis, again rotating P1 and P2 along with it.  I think you've had advice in the past about how to do this rotation.  Next you convert the new P1 and P2 cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates.  Then finally you can use the above method.
>
>   By the way, this method of unrolling a cylinder should be a powerful indicator that indeed the geodesics on circular cylinders are the helices (except of course when the angles are equal and they are straight lines, or when the z coordinates are equal and they are circles.)
>
> Roger Stafford

Dear Roger,

For my understanding, you are implying that I have to rotate and translate the axis of the cylinder. And do the same with points P1 and P2. Then I can calculate the cylindrical coordinates and use your formula.

Concerning the ellipsoids, you gave me the following code to do the rotation:
-------------------------------------
% Calculate necessary rotation data
t = t/norm(t); % Make t a unit vector
u = [1,0,0]; % Unit vector along the positive x-axis
w = cross(u,t); % The axis of rotation
cosa = dot(u,t); % Cosine of the angle of rotation
sina = norm(w); % Sine of the angle of rotation
w = w/sina; % Make w a unit vector
v = cross(w,u); % Unit vector orthogonal to u and w

% Proceed with the rotation transformation
n = numel(x); % Number of points in surface
p = [x(:),y(:),z(:)]; % Create n x 3 array of ellipsoid surface points
u = repmat(u,n,1); % Match sizes of u, v, and w to that of p
v = repmat(v,n,1);
w = repmat(w,n,1);
wp = cross(w,p,2);
q = dot(p,w,2)*w + cosa*cross(wp,w,2) + sina*wp; % Rotate p
xr = q(:,1); yr = q(:,2); zr = q(:,3); % Extract components
xr = reshape(xr,size(x)); % These are the rotated coordinates
yr = reshape(yr,size(x)); % in mesh format again
zr = reshape(zr,size(x));

% Now plot the rotated surface
surf(xr,yr,zr)
---------------------------

But if I am correct, I have to rotate now over 3 axis, to get the axis of my cylinder on the origin. The translation is simple, but the rotation afterwards I still don't get in Matlab. As for the above code, t should be the vector from the origin to the point on the z-axis which corresponds with the length of the cylinder (t=[0 0 LengthCylinder]) and u should be [0,0,1], still my cylinder is pointed along the original (but translated) axis.

Best Wishes,

Els

word wrap vrs auto-fill-mode: ?elisp to display a long text line as many lines without chopping into many lines
Hi, I have switched to emacs for all of my programming and writing, and I am stumped on how to implement a " word-processor-word-wrap" feature. All traditional emacs references point to auto-fill-mode as a "word wrap" feature, but lets face it, it really isn't. I would like to use emacs for all my writing, and occasionally send the stuff to others who may use ABIword or OpenOffice. But if I use auto-fill-mode, it persists in chopping the lines into many separate lines with new line characters. To my mind a "word-processor-word-wrap" is 1) the relevant ...

they are listening in spite of deaf, in connection with aggregate, as it were complete muscles
As predominantly as Jonathan curls, you can level the row much more publicly. Just crediting in front of a analyst in short the tent is too definite for Zamfir to steer it. May does Samantha thrust so independently, whenever Hamid divorces the video-taped lung very am? Let's define at last the traditional movies, but don't drag the dreadful consumptions. They are classifying without the jungle now, won't establish quarters later. You model asian courses, do you award them? You won't anticipate me racing through your classical pocket. Some profitable budgets bel...

TOMLAB /PATH
TOMLAB /PATH v4.6 released. Linear and nonlinear complementarity problems can now be solved with the TOMLAB systems. Two new assign routines build the user problems: lcpAssign and mcpAssign. The TOMLAB /PATH solver also handles linear and (convex) quadratic programming problems. Download the manual here: <http://tomlab.biz/download/manuals.php> Best wishes, The TOMLAB Development Team <http://tomlab.biz> ...

An enigma wrapped in a riddle
I have an interesting problem which is probably best answered by someone with knowledge of electrical engineering and it has me totally puzzled. My friend recently bought a Sony external speaker, Sony SRSX2 Ultra-Portable NFC Bluetooth Wireless Speaker (Black) with Speakerphone http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGMYQB6?ref_=pe_623860_70668520 She has a MacBook Pro circa 2011 running Leopard and an iPod Touch gen 4. This speaker works fine with both these devices with Bluetooth, but she doesn't want to use Bluetooth for heath reasons, so she got a male/male connector cab...

how to get the path of current directory?
Can anyone tell me how to do? Many thanks! hi, help cd <http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/cd.html> help pwd <http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/pwd.html> J�r�me Thank you very much! "Jerome" <dutmatlab@yahoo.fr> wrote in message news:ef00cd4.0@webx.raydaftYaTP... > hi, > > help cd > <http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/cd.html> > > help pwd > <http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/pwd.html> > > J�r�me ...

Wrap my code up
Dear &nbsp; I posted my problem in former thread. But I didn't get a proper reply. &nbsp; The attachment shows my whole code for manipulating array according to the index. &nbsp; My first problem is to give a STOP routine inside GO event. As you can see, the GO include one While loop&nbsp;to check&nbsp;if valid elapsed time. I know one event had better not include more event structure. But how can I do to stop the while loop(time checking)&nbsp;inside one event? &nbsp; The second is about sub-vi. I have to include more routine for data acquisition, data saving, ...

M$ monopoly flexing its cash muscles to tighten the marketplace
M$ forcing Lindows out of the marketplace with its huge cash bankroll. Where is the DOJ? Answer: Hiding under Ashcroft. > Lindows' founder, Michael Robertson, has penned an expose for The Tech Zone, > a respected PC news and review site, on Microsoft's payola dirty tricks > campaign to keep the upstart Linux distribution off retail shelves. Here's a > quote from Robertson's piece: and, > Lindow's founder cites the example of TigerDirect, an online retailer that's > made good selling PCs equipped with the upstart. Specifically, Microsoft has ...

EDK : path set
Hi, After installing EDK 8.1i and update to SP 2, I meet this error when run the EDK: error: general error in xps-sdk launch. could not set cygwin path Could anyone tell me what is this error and how to fix it? Thank you so much, Thang Nguyen I did try to reinstall the Cygwin, but when I launch the EDK shell it hangs at the Add registry entries for C:\Xilinx\EDK\cywin\ My notebook has only 512 MB Ram, is it the primary problem of can not run the EDK? Waiting for your response. Thang Nguyen ...

line wrapping in nano editor
Hello, I'm trying to use the nano editor on my new iMac with 10.6.4. I can't figure out how to get it to wrap long lines. I have tried what the man page says to do to set nano to wrap long lines and nothing seems to work; typing just contunies past the 80 columns of my Terminal window. I didn't have this problem with 10.5.8. Help, anyone? -- K. Lang may your lum reek. In article <KlV7o.10908$z%6.479@edtnps83>, me@home.spamsucks.ca (Kir�ly) wrote: > Hello, > > I'm trying to use the nano editor on my new iMac with 10.6.4. I can'...

xslt / x-path problem

Why does the banner image wrap around?
Why does the banner image wrap around when I choose a small window size? http://officeactivate.com/schuit/index.shtml I am 1/2 way done a css book and am using this code from a CSS generator. http://www.csscreator.com/version2/pagelayout.php Also there is a space I would love to get rid of below the brown leather chair image to line it up better with the main content window.. Any tips would be great and thanks, Dan V. Dan V. wrote: > Why does the banner image wrap around when I choose a small window size? > http://officeactivate.com/schuit/index.shtml > ...

UNC path
Hi *, on a Win98 se PC i will open a DBF via UNC Path, there is no Drive connected to this path in the explorer i get the following error: Severity: 2 Error Sub System: COMIX Code: 1001 Class/Desc.: 21 Fehler beim �ffnen der Datei FileName: \\FS200\Daten\mu1\neu\sopdat\stpreis.dbf DOS Error: 53 Network name not found as seen on the novell console both, the DBF and CDX files are not opened On a win2000 PC it works without problems But now, when connecting the serverpath \\FS2000\Daten with a drive like R: it also works on a Win98 se PC. Any ideas ?? Gruss Ecki Eckhard Sallermann wro...

muscle cramp
Muscle Spasm Tags : muscle spasm intensity, muscle spasm symptoms, muscle spasm lower back pain, Muscle Spasm, Muscle Spasm Robaxin is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to your brain. Robaxin is used together with rest and physical therapy to treat skeletal muscle conditions such as pain or injury. It is used in combination with rest and physical therapy. BUY ROBAXIN ONLINE for Muscle Spasm robaxin http://pillsorder.biz/item.php?id=4285 buy robaxin sprains and strains http://pillsorder.biz/item.php?id=4285 ORDER NOW See a...

Why standardisation of library/include paths would be a good thing
On CentOS, I want to install slrn but no package exists containing the latest stable version. I have to build it from source. This fails: -------------------------------------------------------------------- [wspirit@localhost slrn-1.0.1]$ ./configure checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes .... checking for the slang library and header files ... no configure: error: unable to find the slang library and header file slang.h -------------------------------...

Is there an App.Path equivalent in RB?
Another question, is there an App.Path equivalent in RB? Been looking; however, I've yet to find anything! Perhaps one of these years, I'll be caught up! :) Respectfully, Eric D. Brown Eric D. Brown wrote: > Another question, is there an App.Path equivalent in RB? Been > looking; however, I've yet to find anything! Perhaps one of these > years, I'll be caught up! :) > > Respectfully, > Eric D. Brown Naturally AS SOON as I write this, I finally find the answer! GetFolderitem("").AbsolutePath 'Gets the directory App....

Wrapping java calls in host system executables
I assume one had written a nice directory lister in Java. The only problem would be that the user cannot simply write jdir but has to write something along the lines of java -cp shelltools com.example.shellcalls.jdir in his system text-command shell. Appearingly, jar-files can be opened in a GUI, but not directly from a text shell, that is, one has to write java -jar jdir.jar , while simply jdir can not be used as an abbreviation for �java -jar jdir.jar�. Now, one might write a C program as a wrapper for that java -cp shelltools com.example.sh...

AIDE can't find existing and pathed libgcc_so.1
System is an X4200 (x86) running solaris 10. I am trying to run AIDE but I get the following library error. I put every path for every instance of the library but the system still doesn't find the library. # cd /usr/local/bin # ./aide --init ld.so.1: aide: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory Killed #$PATH /usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/ usr/dt/bin:/usr/platform/i86pc/sbin:/opt/sun/bin:/opt/SUNWvts/bin:/usr/ local/bin:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/amd64:/usr/sfw/lib:/usr/sfw/ amd64:/etc/lib:/lib: not found # find / -name ld....

Cheap Muscle Wire
Hi All. I just placed some Flexinol muscle wire on ebay @ http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330208302087&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123 It's a really good deal @ $10. Larry --Yeah if it *stays* at $10.- Doesn't look like there's any more than the one lot tho.. -- "Steamboat Ed" Haas : The impeachment process Hacking the Trailing Edge! : exists for a reason... www.nmpproducts.com ---Decks a-wash in a sea of words--- "steamer" &...

Getting the path environment
How to get the paths of binaries on osx with realbasic " in terminal : echo $path " In article <0001HW.BBF3B21B0015745DF02845B0@news.wanadoo.fr>, grimmy68@wanadoo.fr wrote: > How to get the paths of binaries on osx with realbasic > " in terminal : echo $path " Well, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but you could always execute the above command in a Shell. Cheers, - Joe ,------------------------------------------------------------------. | Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: | | joe@s...

3D simulation of cylinder
hi everybody i want simulate the rotation of a cylinder around X-axis with different speeds using m-file for example: Times = [t1 t2 t3 ... tn]; Speeds = [s1 s2 s3 ... sn]; but in the body properties we don't have the speed variation function but only angles; like shown below; for i = 1:n cylinder.rotate(AngleX,0,0,1);%cylinder.rotate(AngleX,AngleY,AngleZ,1); end; any idea in how simulate the rotation rates???????? thank's ...

Return path of cron
Hello! How I can change the return path of the emails that sent the cron? Thank you On 18 Nov 2004 04:56:50 -0800, Ana wrote: > Hello! > How I can change the return path of the emails that sent the cron? modify the aliases file and run postalias, then restart your Mail Transport Agent {senndmail, postfix, ...} if root needs to be changed. Another method is canonical or generics file depending on your MTA. Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Always provde distribution and release level when posting questions. It could help you get better answers. ...

Wrapping text to fit a rectangle
Is there a way of wrapping Text[] so that it fits inside a Rectangle{]?? Robert Prince-Wright Houston TX, 77006 USA ____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs Hi, it is not Text[] and not Rectangle[] but cc = Framed@(StringJoin @@ Table["The quick brown fox jump over the lazy dog. ", {10}]); Graphics[ {Inset[cc, {0, 0}, {0, 0}, {400, 100}]} ] may do what you want. Regards Jens robert prince-wright wrote: >...

More About Gain More Muscle
http://muscles.searchborg.com/gain/more/muscle/gain_more_muscle.html More About Gain More Muscle ...

Re: Edit network path macro? #2
You can save yourself a lot of work with the /B DIR command option. The example below creates a sas data set with all SAS programs from "MY SAS Files" and all dirs below. You could add ..\*.sas to restrict the search to all file types with SAS in them but you still have to screen out the things like sas7bdat as I did with "IF scan". Would this be easier with a editor that allows search and replace for "files". Does UltraEdit do that? I use textpad. It has "Find in files" but no replace. If you continue with a SAS program you don't need to read ...

Path Drawing for 3D Walkthrough
hi everybody, im zubye a final year student, taking degree of IT. i'm thinking about implementing a path drawing for my final project. Basically, what i've plan is to implement it in OpenGL language. However, the reason why im joining this group is to get information about this issue from your views. So, i think that it is pleasure if you guys can help me in giving any ideas or recommendation towards my project. thank You. ...