New To MATLAB and need help with this problem

I am new to Matlab so can someone help me write some code to find the
area of my hand from data points only without using built in matlab
functions.
I know that you can use things like midpoint rule or trap but I dont
have a function input

Thank You
0
nerf21 (22)

given data that represents the shape of my hand I have to use
possibly several numerical integration schemes to find the area
0
nerf21 (22)
11/16/2004 2:08:47 AM
Matt wrote:
> I am new to Matlab so can someone help me write some code to find the
> area of my hand from data points only without using built in matlab
> functions.
> I know that you can use things like midpoint rule or trap but I dont
> have a function input

Did you have an algorithm in mind? If you can describe the algorithm
we can help you with the Matlab implementation of it.

What is the nature of the data points? How were they generated?
How many of them are there?

              - Randy

0
poespam-trap (1550)
11/16/2004 2:28:42 AM
The data points were imputed by me using ginput and there are around
50 of them. There can be as many or as few as you need.

I was hinking that we could run an integration scheme to get the area
but I dont have the function so all of the things that were explained
to me needed the function.

Is there any way to get the function from the data or even better is
ther a way to implement like the midpoint rule or tarpazoid rule bu
using the data.
0
nerf21 (22)
11/16/2004 2:41:59 AM
I am soo lost due to being new to the program. Please help me with
this.
0
nerf21 (22)
11/16/2004 2:45:56 AM
"PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" <nerf21@aol.com> wrote
in message news:eef3023.3@webx.raydaftYaTP...
> I am soo lost due to being new to the program. Please help me with
> this.

Reread your posting and tell me what how you were expecting someone to
reply.

There is only one way to stop "being new to the program". Start doing what
you need to and when you get stuck, post a specific question or problem
here. Start by reading the "Getting Started" portion of the MATLAB
documentation.

0
kendavis (223)
11/16/2004 12:29:45 PM
matt wrote:
> The data points were imputed by me using ginput and there are around
> 50 of them. There can be as many or as few as you need.

Do the points make up an outline of your hand?

> I was hinking that we could run an integration scheme to get the area
> but I dont have the function so all of the things that were explained
> to me needed the function.

You're still not giving very much information. I don't know what
"The function" means.

> Is there any way to get the function from the data or even better is
> ther a way to implement like the midpoint rule or tarpazoid rule bu
> using the data.

Are there restrictions on what functions you can use? I read
elsewhere (why did you post the same question so many times with
different titles?) that you aren't allowed to use polyarea?
Why not? What are you allowed?

OK, I'll suggest one algorithm if you're allowed to use INPOLYGON:
Consider a box large enough to enclose the hand. Generate
random points in the box, a very large number. Use INPOLYGON
to figure out what fraction of these are in the polygon of your
hand. The ratio of (# points in poly)/(# points in box) will
give you an estimate of (area of poly)/(area of box).
- Randy

0
poespam-trap (1550)