Numerical errors when using mldivide

I am attempting to solve the system Ax = b where A is a 30x30 triangular matrix with (nonzero) values ranging from 1e-14 to 0.7, and b is a 30-element column vector with values ranging from 1e-3 to 1e3. When I enter x = A\b I get an answer and no warning messages, but the answer is not reasonable (looks like just random numbers). I presume is this is due to numerical errors.

Message 5 on this page (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/170919)
suggests decomposing\scaling the matrix in order to avoid numerical errors, but I haven't been able to figure out how to calculate the scaling matrices. I'll be grateful for any advice.
0
Dan
12/21/2016 7:36:09 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 17 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow