f



Out of memory & Function MEMORY is not available on this platform

well guys is very strange... since:

when I type: help memory
I am to get response from Matlab as: 

....
Example 1: Run the MEMORY command on a 32-bit Windows system:
....

Example 2: Run the MEMORY command on a 64-bit Windows system:
....

Example 3: Run the MEMORY command with two outputs on a 32-bit Windows system:
[uV sV] = memory
....

but when I type: memory
??? Error using ==> memory
Function MEMORY is not available on this platform.

Its kind of strange isn't it? 

btw I use MAC OS X 10.6 (might this be a problem?)

Moreover I would like to execute this command:
zeros(100000, 3000);
??? Out of memory. Type HELP MEMORY for your options.

I am able to execute:
zeros(10000, 3000);

But I will be very happy if someone can let me know if it is possible somehow to execute:
zeros(100000, 3000);

thanks
0
Sofia
8/4/2010 2:16:05 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 15 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

3 Replies
1396 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

Sofia H=C3=A4ggberg wrote:
> well guys is very strange... since:
>=20
> when I type: help memory
> I am to get response from Matlab as:
> ....
> Example 1: Run the MEMORY command on a 32-bit Windows system:
> ....
>=20
> Example 2: Run the MEMORY command on a 64-bit Windows system:
> ....
>=20
> Example 3: Run the MEMORY command with two outputs on a 32-bit Windows =

> system:
> [uV sV] =3D memory
> ....
>=20
> but when I type: memory
> ??? Error using =3D=3D> memory
> Function MEMORY is not available on this platform.
>=20
> Its kind of strange isn't it?
> btw I use MAC OS X 10.6 (might this be a problem?)

Not strange at all. Notice that all of the examples refer to Windows.=20
The memory() command is only available on Windows.

>=20
> Moreover I would like to execute this command:
> zeros(100000, 3000);
> ??? Out of memory. Type HELP MEMORY for your options.
>=20
> I am able to execute:
> zeros(10000, 3000);
>=20
> But I will be very happy if someone can let me know if it is possible=20
> somehow to execute:
> zeros(100000, 3000);

Sure. But you need 2.3 gigabytes of available memory. If you are running =

a 32 bit version of Matlab then that can be fairly difficult to get --=20
though an old thread I found suggests that under OS-X if you have 4 Gb=20
of virtual memory available then you should be able to get up to 3.2 Gb=20
for variables. If you have less than 4 Gb of RAM installed, this may=20
require increasing your swap space.
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/150808
0
Walter
8/4/2010 3:24:28 PM
"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i3bsn5$1nl$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> well guys is very strange... since:
> 
> when I type: help memory
> I am to get response from Matlab as: 
> 
> ...
> Example 1: Run the MEMORY command on a 32-bit Windows system:
> ...
> 
> Example 2: Run the MEMORY command on a 64-bit Windows system:
> ...
> 
> Example 3: Run the MEMORY command with two outputs on a 32-bit Windows system:
> [uV sV] = memory
> ...
> 
> but when I type: memory
> ??? Error using ==> memory
> Function MEMORY is not available on this platform.
> 
> Its kind of strange isn't it? 
> 
> btw I use MAC OS X 10.6 (might this be a problem?)
> 
> Moreover I would like to execute this command:
> zeros(100000, 3000);
> ??? Out of memory. Type HELP MEMORY for your options.
> 
> I am able to execute:
> zeros(10000, 3000);
> 
> But I will be very happy if someone can let me know if it is possible somehow to execute:
> zeros(100000, 3000);
> 
> thanks

seems I was not clear :(
0
Sofia
8/4/2010 3:25:06 PM
Sofia H=C3=A4ggberg wrote:
> "Sofia H=C3=A4ggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message=20
> <i3bsn5$1nl$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
>> well guys is very strange... since:

> seems I was not clear :(

There were 150 postings ahead of yours from when I last caught up (23:00 =

Central last night); and it takes time to research the detailed=20
behaviour of Matlab on an OS that I have not used Matlab on myself.
0
Walter
8/4/2010 3:41:59 PM
Reply: