Out of memory while I still have enough memory

Dear all,

My problem is as follows, I want to run an simulation in Femlab. The
mesh has around 10,000 elements and 8,000 nodes. My computer has a
memory of 1,024 MB and I have set the virtual memory up to 4 GB. When
I'm running the simulation the simulation stops with a message that
it is "out of Memory". The used memory was at that moment around 0.8
GB, what means that the capacity of the memory was not fully used.
Could someone tell me why this is and what actions I have to
undertake to solve this problem.

regards

Harry Dekker
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 17 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

Harry Dekker wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> My problem is as follows, I want to run an simulation in Femlab. The
> mesh has around 10,000 elements and 8,000 nodes. My computer has a
> memory of 1,024 MB and I have set the virtual memory up to 4 GB. When
> I'm running the simulation the simulation stops with a message that
> it is "out of Memory". The used memory was at that moment around 0.8
> GB, what means that the capacity of the memory was not fully used.
> Could someone tell me why this is and what actions I have to
> undertake to solve this problem.

Sounds like real memory was pretty well used up when you account for the
OS...I don't know enough about Femlab to otherwise comment about
swapping.
0
dpbozarth (544)
5/27/2005 3:07:12 PM
On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:56:00 -0400, Harry Dekker wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> My problem is as follows, I want to run an simulation in Femlab. The
> mesh has around 10,000 elements and 8,000 nodes. My computer has a
> memory of 1,024 MB and I have set the virtual memory up to 4 GB. When
> I'm running the simulation the simulation stops with a message that
> it is "out of Memory". The used memory was at that moment around 0.8
> GB, what means that the capacity of the memory was not fully used.
> Could someone tell me why this is and what actions I have to
> undertake to solve this problem.

You probably don't have enough contiguous memory to allocate a large block
by the time you get to that point.  Try using 'pack'.

And don't forget that you will never get more than about 1.2 to 1.5Gb per
Matlab session regardless.  This is a well-documented 32-bit limitation.

Dan

> regards
>
> Harry Dekker

0
dan4519 (925)
5/27/2005 8:10:49 PM
Thanks Dan for your comment. At the moment I have blocked the
java-script in Matlab by enetring -nojvm at the and of the source in
the shortcut and that is also giving me full acces to 1.5 GB memory
for calculating my problem

Regards

Harry Dekker