Parallel Computing and "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

while using parfor loop, I get "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." error generated from an executable function embedded in the parfor loop. The function opens a file "tmp.key" and writes an image file "tmp.pgm" into "tmp.key" file. However, it seems that when this parfor loop runs on parallel processors, the processors are unable to access this "tmp.key" at the same time, and hence, the error is generated.
First of all, is my assesment correct? secondly, how to resolve this issue and use parfor loop successfully.

Any help is greatly appreciated, please.

Irteza
0
irtezaa (1)
3/27/2013 6:05:22 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 14 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

"Syed " <irtezaa@gatech.edu> writes:

> while using parfor loop, I get "The process cannot access the file
> because it is being used by another process." error generated from an
> executable function embedded in the parfor loop. The function opens a
> file "tmp.key" and writes an image file "tmp.pgm" into "tmp.key"
> file. However, it seems that when this parfor loop runs on parallel
> processors, the processors are unable to access this "tmp.key" at the
> same time, and hence, the error is generated.  First of all, is my
> assesment correct? secondly, how to resolve this issue and use parfor
> loop successfully.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, please.

It sounds like your assessment is correct. By default, we keep
matlabpool workers having the same current directory as your MATLAB
client, but it sounds like you need to override this when calling your
executable. I'd proceed by making a wrapper function around the
executable which does something like this:

%---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---
function result = wrapCallToExecutable(args)
t = getCurrentTask(); % empty on the client
if ~isempty(t)
    % Get a unique directory name and create that
    uniqueDirName = tempname();
    ok = mkdir(uniqueDirName);
    assert(ok);

    % remember the old working directory, and use onCleanup
    % to get back there
    oldPwd = pwd;
    restorePwd = onCleanup(@() cd(oldPwd));

    % make an onCleanup to remove the temporary directory
    removeTempDir = onCleanup(@() rmdir(uniqueDirName, 's'));
    % move to the unique directory
    cd(uniqueDirName);
end

% call executable
system(sprintf('exeName.exe %s', args));

% do stuff, fill out 'result'.

end
%---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---

Cheers,

Edric.
0
eellis (488)
3/28/2013 8:26:36 AM
I have the same problem, but cant seem to get a solution working. My Code is

function myFunc_A()
parfor i = 1: 32
myFunc_B(i, filePaths(from:to));
end
end

function myFunc_B(i, data)
for a = 1 : A
  system('C:\unzip_from_rar_to_mat.exe'); %each file is unzipped to a unique dir.
   load(data(a)); % I fail on this call.
end
end

The error is "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".
0
none
12/1/2014 12:13:08 PM
I have the same problem, but cant seem to get a solution working. My Code is

function myFunc_A()
parfor i = 1: 32
myFunc_B(i, filePaths(from:to));
end
end

function myFunc_B(i, data)
for a = 1 : A
  system('C:\unzip_from_rar_to_mat.exe'); %each file is unzipped to a unique dir.
   load(data(a)); % I fail on this call.
end
end

The error is "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".
0
none
12/1/2014 12:14:10 PM
I use the below function to call system,

%http://uk.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/327867

function st_wrapCallToExecutable(args)
t = getCurrentTask(); % empty on the client
%if ~isempty(t)
    % Get a unique directory name and create that
    uniqueDirName = tempname();
    ok = mkdir(uniqueDirName);
    assert(ok);

    % remember the old working directory, and use onCleanup
    % to get back there
    oldPwd = pwd;
    restorePwd = onCleanup(@() cd(oldPwd));

    % make an onCleanup to remove the temporary directory
    removeTempDir = onCleanup(@() rmdir(uniqueDirName, 's'));
    % move to the unique directory
    cd(uniqueDirName);
%end

% call executable
%system(sprintf('exeName.exe %s', args));
system(args);
% do stuff, fill out 'result'.
end

however, this then gives a new error:

"Warning: The following error was caught while executing 'onCleanup' class destructor:
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\tpd08fd645_a649_4bef_a97c_7a5e9dba1dd7 could not be removed."

Any suggestions?
0
none
12/1/2014 12:53:05 PM
"none " <none@gmail.com> writes:

> I use the below function to call system,
>
> %http://uk.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/327867
>
> function st_wrapCallToExecutable(args)
> t = getCurrentTask(); % empty on the client
> %if ~isempty(t)
>    % Get a unique directory name and create that
>    uniqueDirName = tempname();
>    ok = mkdir(uniqueDirName);
>    assert(ok);
>     % remember the old working directory, and use onCleanup
>    % to get back there
>    oldPwd = pwd;
>    restorePwd = onCleanup(@() cd(oldPwd));
>     % make an onCleanup to remove the temporary directory
>    removeTempDir = onCleanup(@() rmdir(uniqueDirName, 's'));
>    % move to the unique directory
>    cd(uniqueDirName);
> %end
>
> % call executable
> %system(sprintf('exeName.exe %s', args));
> system(args);
> % do stuff, fill out 'result'.
> end
>
> however, this then gives a new error:
>
> "Warning: The following error was caught while executing 'onCleanup' class destructor:
> C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\tpd08fd645_a649_4bef_a97c_7a5e9dba1dd7 could not be removed."
>
> Any suggestions?

That warning is because some process is still accessing the directory
that is trying to be removed. It might help to do something like this -
instead of creating the two separate onCleanups, create a single onCleanup that
does both steps (untested code!)

cleanupPwdAndTmpdir = onCleanup(@() cleanupAndRestore(uniqueDirName, oldPwd));

with

function cleanupAndRestore(dirToRemove, wdToRestore)
  cd(wdToRestore);
  t = tic;
  msg = ''; msgid = '';
  while toc(t) < 5 % try for up to 5 seconds
    [ok, msg, msgid] = rmdir(dirToRemove, 's');
    if ok
      return
    end
  end
  % if we got here, failed to remove directory
  if exist(dirToRemove, 'dir') == 7
    warning('Failed to remove directory: %s. Message: %s - %s', ...
      dirToRemove, msgid, msg);
  end
end

Cheers,
Edric.
0
Edric

"file in use by another process" error after process has terminated
I'm running a process with stdout redirected into a file, and after waiting for it to terminate (WaitForSingleObject on the process handle), I read the file. This usually works, but once in a while, opening the file fails with EPIPE, "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". If I comment out the WaitForSingleObject, it always fails with this error. It doesn't happen often enough for me to be able to be sure that a fix has worked. Also, it never happens (at least not after 1000 tries) on the development machine, and I'd ...

Using "Open with" in windows to process a file with a tcl/tk scripts?
I have the following problem in windows 2000. I have written a TCL/TK script which process xml files. Now I will like to be able select the xml file using the windows file manager and use "open with" to startup the tcl/tk scripts and pass the xml file as argument. When I do this now I get an error telling that the xml file is not a valid win32 application. Any ideas of how to do this? Thanks in advance Hello, You should enter something similar to: c:\path\to\wish.exe "C:\path\to\xmleditor.tcl" "%1" Regards, -- Ramon Rib� http://gatxan.cimne.upc.es/ramsan "Alfonso Esteban Gonzalez Sencion" <sencion@alcatel.es> escribi� en el mensaje news:1074693766.891577@slbhw0... > I have the following problem in windows 2000. > > I have written a TCL/TK script which process xml files. Now I will like > to be able select the xml file using the windows file manager and use > "open with" to startup the tcl/tk scripts and pass the xml file as argument. > > When I do this now I get an error telling that the xml file is not a > valid win32 application. > > Any ideas of how to do this? > > Thanks in advance > Hello I already do thins in the same way. I define a new action for the file type XML and it works fine. But I wish not to have to define manually a new action. What I would like to do is simply select the xml file, choose the option "open with" in the file m...

How to use "sed" to subtract a file from another file
Hi all, Two text files: FileA and FileB: each line only contains a userid (no spaces or any other special chars). FileA is a superset of FileB. I want to remove those lines, which appears in FileB, from FileA. I could write a couple of lines to do it, but I really want to learn "sed", so any sed guru could give a one-line sed to solve this? Many thanks, James James wrote: > Hi all, > > Two text files: FileA and FileB: each line only contains a userid > (no spaces or any other special chars). FileA is a superset of FileB. > I want to remove those lines, which appears in FileB, from FileA. > I could write a couple of lines to do it, but I really want to learn > "sed", > so any sed guru could give a one-line sed to solve this? How about learning "grep" first? grep -vf FileB FileA -- pgancarz, at, o2, pl On 13 Jun 2006 13:01:08 -0700, James <jzheng22@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > Two text files: FileA and FileB: each line only contains a userid > (no spaces or any other special chars). FileA is a superset of FileB. > I want to remove those lines, which appears in FileB, from FileA. > I could write a couple of lines to do it, but I really want to learn > "sed", > so any sed guru could give a one-line sed to solve this? > You asked for sed, but here is a simple one-line solution: grep -vf FileB FileA -- petribar: Any sun-bleached prehistoric candy that has been sitting ...

How to redirect "out" and "o" files to another directory?
Hi folks, when i compile my code in tornado , i am getting "o" and "out" files ( say within "/PPC604gnu/"). I want to copy "out" files automatically to some other directory after compilation of my code. If possible where i have to change ? ..Raja In your Tornado project, under properties of the build, look for the MACRO called POST_BUILD_RULE. Put in a line to copy the files. The make file will run that line in the shell after the build completes. LC ...

Writing a application using "process"
Hi All, In another programming language, I can use "processes" to call IE and a specific html address . unit GetEE_JavaViaIEUnit1; interface uses Windows, Messages, SysUtils, Classes, Graphics, Controls, Forms, Dialogs, StdCtrls, ExtCtrls, FileCtrl; type TForm1 = class(TForm) RadioGroup1: TRadioGroup; procedure RadioGroup1Click(Sender: TObject); private procedure Cprocess(sExecuteFile: string; Sender: Tobject); { Private declarations } public { Public declarations } end; var Form1: TForm1; implementation {$R *.DFM} procedure TForm1.Cprocess(sExecuteFile: string; Sender: TObject); var pi: TProcessInformation; si: TStartupInfo; begin FillMemory(@si, sizeof(si), 0); si.cb := sizeof(si); CreateProcess(nil, PChar(sExecuteFile), nil, nil, false, NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS, nil, nil, si, pi); // close up shop... closeHandle(pi.hProcess); closeHandle(pi.hThread); end; procedure TForm1.RadioGroup1Click(Sender: TObject); var Str1, Str2, Totalcmdline: string; begin Str1 := 'C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE'; if RadioGroup1.ItemIndex = 0 then begin Str2 := 'http://oldlook.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Programming_Languages/Java/'; end; if RadioGroup1.ItemIndex = 1 then begin Str2 := 'http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Programming_Languages/Java/'; end; Totalcmdline := str1 + ' "' + str2 + ' "'; Cprocess(Totalcmdline, S...

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

about "++" and "--"

Use "range," not "for"?
Thanks to everyone who suggested ways to get a proc to recognize all variables in the global scope--here's why I wanted to know. (Maybe someone has done this better already--if so, don't hesitate to let me know!) I've found that a simple "foreach" loop fairly often won't do the jobs I want done, and I need to use "for"--ugh! Well, I recently read at least part of a book about Python. It didn't look like an improvement over Tcl for the most part, but it has at least a few good features, one of which is the "range" expression. I thought a "range" procedure in Tcl might be a good substitute for the clumsy "for." So, here's my first effort. Instead of writing this: for {set i 1} {$i<= 10} {incr i} {puts "$i. \"for\" is ugly!"} you can write this: range i 1 to 10 {puts "$i. \"range\" is beautiful!"} Or, if you have a list called "lum," instead of writing this: for {set i 0} {$i < [llength $lum]} {incr i} {puts [lindex $lum $i]} you can write this: range i 0 no [llength $lum] {puts [lindex $lum $i]} To go backward, skipping every other number, instead of this: for {set i 10} {$i >= 0} {incr i -2} {puts $i} you can write this: range i 10 to 0 -2 {puts $i} The usage is pretty obvious: "range var start cutoff end ?incr? body." In other words, (1) the word "range"; (2) a vari...

when should one use "and" and "or"
Hi All, just got hit w the ff > case > when x==1 or x==2 > print "yeoh!" > end SyntaxError: compile error (irb):17: syntax error, unexpected kOR, expecting kTHEN or ':' or '\n' or ';' when x==1 or x==2 ^ "or" and "and" both exhibit the behaviour in ruby1.8/1.9. workaround 1 put parens around the condition (not again) 2 replace or/and with ||/&& i believe there are other similar quirks when using "and/or".. has ruby relegated the use of "and/or"....? best regar...

files "." and ".." from readdir()
Will readdir always return "." and ".." as the _first_ two entries returned if the filesystem has them? I'm just curious if it testing for them can be skipped after the first two have been tested. I've always written my loops around readdir with the tests applied in every case. -- |WARNING: Due to extreme spam, googlegroups.com is blocked. Due to ignorance | | by the abuse department, bellsouth.net is blocked. If you post to | | Usenet from these places, find another Usenet provider ASAP. | | Phil Howard KA9WGN (email for humans: first ...

Using "fsolve": How to control iteration using "residuals" and "norm of step"??
Hello Everyone, I am using fsolve to solve a system of linear equations and it&#8217;s working fine. However, I have a coupe of issues: (i) Even when the solution (alpha) converges, I am getting the message to choose a new point. I am guessing that it has to do with &#8220;norm of step&#8221; as probably the code is trying a smaller step. I am using option like this: options = optimset('Jacobian','on', 'algorithm', 'Levenberg-Marquardt','Display','iter-detailed', 'MaxFunEvals', 10000, 'MaxIter', 10000,'TolX'...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

'echo "": No such file or directory" error using "exec" to pipe in PHP script
[TCL] set php {<? print_r("Hello World"); ?>} puts $php; # PRINTS OUT <? print_r("Hello World"); ?> puts [exec "echo '$php' | php -q"] [/TCL] When I try this within TCL I get the following error: [quote] echo "": No such file or directory [/quote] I am unable to be able to use the CLI PHP "php -r" option due to my PHP installations on various servers being CGI and not CLI SAPI, else, I would just do that, so I'm trying an alternative that is choking TCL. I am using a very simple example within the TCL $php variabl...

About "wavetable synthesis" as described in "Applications of Digital Signal Processing"
Dear Dr. Mitra, I've been hoping to possibly run into you sometime at a professional conference, perhaps the IEEE WASPAA (a.k.a. Mohonk), but I haven't been to that conference since 2001 and I haven't yet seen you at an Audio Engineering Convention (and, admittedly, I'm not in IEEE). I am now working for a company in Calabasas (Music Mastermind) so I hope that someday I can meet you while I am local to USC. I was sorta exploring the dsp.stackexchange.com site and I came upon a short monograph attributed to you called "Applications of Digital Signal Processing". I don't know if this is part of an existing book in print, or is on the way to print. I found the link to at the University of Vermont site, which is quite coincidental since Burlington Vermont is my permanent address and the prof listing it (Gagan Mirchandani) is someone I am acquainted with. The work appears useful and valuable to me, and I immediately noticed Sections 5 and 6, which are about what I do for a living and where I also have published. In fact, one old paper I have written (that later resulted in the Audio EQ Cookbook) called "The Equivalence of Various Methods of Computing Biquad Coefficients for Audio Parametric Equalizers" (long title) came from a paper by Dana Massie that came from your Regalia and Mitra paper about APFs and the bell-shaped parametric EQ. I have also written about wavetable synthesis ("Wa...

Using "wait" for processes running in the background
Hi all, I've got a script (korn shell) that kicks off three processes in the background. What i eventually want to do, is make my script WAIT until these three processes have finished in order for the script to carry on executing. But with no luck. I kick off each process, and right after, i store their PIDs in global variables so that they can be accessed later on by wait commands, like: runMyFirstProcess.ksh & FIRST_PROC_PID=$! ... (same for the 2 other processes) wait FIRST_PROC_PID wait SECOND_PROC_PID ... (same for third) ..carry on executing.... But the script just flies through...is it ignoring the "wait" calls because the processes are running in the background? I know a work-around way of achieving what i want (i.e., each process generates a log file, which i can grep in a loop for a return code or a message) but i'm looking for a much more "neat" solution.... Can any of you guys shed some light? Cheers, Gabriel On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 at 13:07 GMT, Gabriel Pacor wrote: > Hi all, > I've got a script (korn shell) that kicks off three processes in > the background. What i eventually want to do, is make my script WAIT > until these three processes have finished in order for the script to > carry on executing. But with no luck. > > I kick off each process, and right after, i store their PIDs in > global variables so that the...

how to spawn and expect multiple processes "in parallel"
Hello, I have a script foobar.tcl on WinXP that uses Expect to spawn a process, interact with it, and log everything using log_file Now I need to extend it, so that it spawns 2 processes, and does the same interaction with both (and logs each to its own log file). This has to be done as if "in parallel" (I write in quotes because with 1 processor it is not strictly speaking possible). I thought I would just do something like exec [tclsh foobar.tcl 0] exec [tclsh foobar.tcl 1] but it seems I am not returning from the first call when I do it interactively at tclsh prompt. So I think I must be confused here. Please tell me the "proper" way to do this. Mark > Please tell me the "proper" way to do this. > > Mark Oh I forgot, I just append & >exec tclsh foobar.tcl 0 & >exec tclsh foobar.tcl 1 & I think this is the best way? Mark_Galeck wrote: >> Please tell me the "proper" way to do this. >> >> Mark > > Oh I forgot, I just append & >> exec tclsh foobar.tcl 0 & >> exec tclsh foobar.tcl 1 & > > I think this is the best way? Yes. If the processes don't need to communicate with each other, then this is by far the simplest approach. -- Neil ...

Using "frame -container" and "-use" on Aqua
Hello Tclers, When using Tk 8.5.8 on Aqua, it is not possible to use "-use" to embed a window in a container frame that belongs to another process. X11 does not have this limitation. Is this a missing feature in Tk, or is it a limitation of Aqua or the Carbon framework? Keith. On 5/20/10 7:00 AM, Keith Nash wrote: > Hello Tclers, > > When using Tk 8.5.8 on Aqua, it is not possible to use "-use" to embed a > window in a container frame that belongs to another process. X11 does not > have this limitation. Is this a missing feature in Tk...

Does Python have equivalent to MATLAB "varargin", "varargout", "nargin", "nargout"?
Thank you in advance for your response. Dmitrey openopt@ukr.net writes: > Thank you in advance for your response. And those do ... ? -- Jorge Godoy <jgodoy@gmail.com> Where you would use varargin and nargin in Matlab, you would use the *args mechanism in Python. Try calling def t1(*args): print args print len(args) with different argument lists Where you would use varargout and nargout in Matlab you would use tuple unpacking in Python. Play with this def t2(n): return tuple(range(n)) a, b = t2(2) x = t2(3) On Feb 18, 12:58 pm, open...@ukr.net wrote: > Th...

Can I put a process in a "network jail", like the "chroot jail"
I am working on something where I would have processes that handle user contributed data, in a way where I feel that I have to restrict them as much as possible. I wand them to read stdin, and produce stdout and stderr only. I do not want them to access the file system, which is done easily with a chroot jail. This is easy. I also do not want those processes to do connect() and use any networking. And here's where I am lost. Is there some way to drop a process privilege to use networking? thanks i Ignoramus29044 wrote: > I am working on something where I would have processes tha...

Using "source" vs "package require" for Tcl application files
I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I generally use "source" to combine the files, or should I use the package mechanism (package provide, package require, etc.)? What is the generally accepted practice? Thanks, Gregg On 30 dec, 01:04, GB <g...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I > generally use "source" to combine the files, or should I use the package > mechanism (package provide, package require, etc.)? > > What is the generally accepted practice? > > Thanks, > > Gregg IMHO use [source]. My reasoning: - The package mechanism is meant for getting access to general-purpose libraries, installed directly under the Tcl installation. - You talk of source files for your own application. So I would expect these files to reside in a directory containing that application. Then [source] is easier to use - and you guarantee that you get the source files from your application (otherwise a random package with the same name from the installation could interfer, if you are not careful with the library path) - Using [source] also makes it clear that these files are meant for your application only, not for more general purposes. Regards, Arjen Arjen Markus wrote: > On 30 dec, 01:04, GB <g...@invalid.invalid> wrote: >> I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I >> gen...

Using "scan from file", is there a "format string" that will stop at a pattern
I'd like to use the "scan from file" primitive to identify (and stop at) a pattern of characters. My goal is to avoid loop-logic required by "match pattern" string function. Is there a "regular expression"/"format string" that will cause a scan to stop at a specific pattern of characters? Thanks, Bill C. When you mention not using "Match Pattern" you are referring to that vi, right? So, do you mean something like: using "Match True/False String" where you feed your string which is read from the file and you wire the string you w...

What XML technologies to learn first for "XML Processing" and "XML Mapping"?
Hi, Doing job interviews. I know XML basics, but I want to familiarize myself with the best that XML has to offer at the moment. What do I need to learn? In other words, what is the dominant XML technology being used at the moment for processing? What is the 'struts' of the XML world? I've used a bit of JDOM, DOM4J, and JAXB. I know there are other xml-to-java serialization-type technologies out there that are less cumbersome - which do I need to know first? Which are most interesting? Which could become market leaders? Also, what are alternatives, if any, to XML? I know...

Web resources about - Parallel Computing and "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the formal concept of computation, see computation . For the magazine, see Computing (magazine) . For the scientific journal, see Computing ...

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

The coolest thing Sony has built in years might show us the future of computing
... the coolest examples of this back in October when we told you about the MUV Bird, which you can read about here . While the idea that our computing ...

Here's how much computing power Google DeepMind needed to beat Lee Sedol at Go
Google DeepMind may have made history by beating the world champion of Chinese board game Go on Wednesday but it needed an awful lot of computing ...

Encryption, the FBI's bane, nets top prize for computing pioneers
Whitfield Diffie and Martin Hellman's privacy-protecting technology has become both an inextricable part of modern life and a scourge to law ...

Taiwan market: Advantech cooperates with Microsoft to market cloud computing solutions
Industrial computing device maker Advantech, in view of large market potential for IoT (Internet of Things) applications, has cooperated with ...

2015's 'Nobel Prize of computing' honors encryption pioneers
Unless you've just finished an incredibly dedicated Rip Van Winkle cosplay session, you're probably well aware of how hot a topic encryption ...

Hybrid Cloud Spurs IoT, Cognitive Computing, More: IBM
A new IBM report shows leading enterprises using hybrid cloud as a launching point for next-generation initiatives like IoT and cognitive computing. ...

GPU computing breakthrough? Cloud rendering company claims to run CUDA on non-Nvidia GPUs
The cloud rendering company Otoy is claiming to have invented a new software translation layer that would allow Nvidia's CUDA to run on a variety ...