parallel computing , distribution computing

Hi,

I have a matlab 2007b installed on my machine which has Distributed computing toolbox v3.2 installed. my questions are?
1. will i be able to do parallel computing using this versions of matlab including DCT?
2. I tried serchign for jobmanager but could not trace it. Do i have to install Parallel computing toolbox, seperately?
I just could not proceed with my existing installations. What next should i do?

All info above is required so that i could run two parallel optimizations originationg starting somewhere in between my original code. The original code does some input calculations. These values are then required for optimizations. However currently i run the optimizations sequentially one after the other> TO improve on the speed i am looking forward to run the two optimizations parallely. How do i do that?

My current machine configurations are: Pentium 4 - 2,8Ghz, 1GB Ram. Is this suffucient? Also i may not be able to connect to another machine or server, will this still do the parallel or i have to connect elsewhere for optimium benefits?

Please advice...

Thanks in advance.
Satish
0
Satish
8/19/2010 7:18:06 AM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 13 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

parallel computing, distributed computing
HI, I have an optimization code which has some part code is common and required as inputs for the two optimization routines within. However once this is done, the remaining could be run parallely independednt of each other and imrovized on the speed and finally the two results could be fetched in one single main optimization file and compared. Though i feel this could be done, i do not knopw the exact procedure as well do not know if there is some setting to be done in matlab and modify my main code as well. Please note i have matlab 2007b and distributed computing toolbox v3.2. I...

Multicore distributed computing
I'm running R2008B on a 2 PC cluster (XP Pro). Each PC has four cores. I've confirmed that the Matlab distributed computing toolboox and parallel computing toolbox are properly installed and running on both machines. 4 green checks appear when I validate through the configuration manager. Max number of workers set to 16. My question: I want to confirm that when I run a job all 4 cores on each machine are utilized for a total of 8 cores. My error when I try to open a pool with 8 cores is below. Is there another command I should try? Thanks. >> matlabpool open 8 Starti...

parallel computing in distributed computing server
Hi, there, Is there some way that can use the parallel computing code such as parfor or spmd in the distributed computing server? I currently ran a test for comparing the difference between the parallel toolbox with in stand alone mode in a computer with two CPUs, and the distributed computing server in two computers(each of them using just one CPU). I found the computing capabilities are pretty much the same with each other. I was curious how to run a parallel computing in the distributed server. Thanks, Wei Wei, The Parallel Computing Toolbox (PCT) serves two purposes: leverage...

Parallel Computing in Distributed Computing Toolbox
I made the following function/script and I get an empty array of 4 by 0 I wanted to see if I could initialize labs with data, by attaching it to the root. jm = findResource('scheduler','configuration','jobmanager', 'name', ... 'IPS_Manager', 'LookupURL', 'ava-310848'); pjob = createParallelJob(jm); set(pjob, 'MinimumNumberOfWorkers', 4); set(pjob, 'MaximumNumberOfWorkers', 4); createTask(pjob, @getLabIndex, 1, {}); submit(pjob); waitForState(pjob); out = getAllOutputArguments(pjob) clear jm; function foo = getLabIn...

Effects of Parallel Computing Toolbox/ Distributed Computing Server?
I would like to know how Distributed Computing Server assigns tasks to computers, especially when running parfor loops. 1. Is the computer the main program is running on used as one of the clients? Or are all tasks (parfor loop iterations) executed on other computers? What happens if there are two tasks and three computers: PC 0 main program task 1 PC 0 main program PC 1 task 2 PC 1 task 1 PC 2 no task PC 2 task 2 What happens when there two computers: PC 0 main program task1 PC 0 main program, no task PC 1 task 2 ...

parallel computing toolbox without distributive computing toolbox
Hi, Is it true that the parallel computing toolbox won't work if the distributive computing toolbox has not been installed? Because then if I type in 'matlabpool', I received the following err msg: " License checkout failed. License Manager Error -4 Maximum number of users for Distrib_Computing_Toolbox reached. Try again later. To see a list of current users use the lmstat utility or contact your License Administrator. Troubleshoot this issue by visiting: http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/R2008b/4 Diagnostic Information: Feature: Distrib_Computing_Toolbox License pa...

distributed computing without the distributed computing toolbox
We have several linux workstation and each of them has matlab installed on it. They share the same data file system (NFS). Unfortunately we do not have the distributed computing toolbox and the management is not planning to buy it. So I am trying to find a workaround to use the workstations in parallel for my computation. I could think of 3 ideas, and I'd like to get some suggestions and comments from the community. 1) execute matlab via ssh: ssh user@host 'matlab -nodisplay -r "myfun(1,2,3)" '. This would require a script to handle the different connections and feed...

Theoretical Distributed Computing (was: *Real* Distributed Computing)
[Responding to David C. DiNucci's post from October 1, 2005] Hi David. I hope to follow up in full on your last message shortly. There's a lot to read (a good thing)! I will try to discuss a couple things in more depth The usefullness of modelling global states - how they relate to: - adversaries - levels of network awareness: does each process know how many other processors are collaborating? Is the number of processors fixed or varying? Is the network fixed or dynamic? Do the processors have any 'sense' of direction' in the network? Distributed knowl...

Connecting Matlab on one computer to Matlab on another computer through LAN
Hello All, I want to achieve communication between MATLAB(and simulink) installed on one computer with the MATLAB(and simulink) installed on another computer. the communication requires that the local copy of matlab performs some calculations, taking into account data from MATLAB on a different computer, and the results are available to the other computer's Matlab as well, and vice versa as well. The two computers are connected through LAN. Thank you, Sunny "sunny " <supersunny007@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message <fv6pn2$j6c$1@fred.mathwor...

Call For Papers: SOFT COMPUTING for BIOINFORMATICS(SOFT COMPUTING Journal )
=20 SOFT COMPUTING Journal - SPRINGER =20 Special Issue on =20 Soft Computing for Bioinformatics =20 CALL FOR PAPERS =20 The past few years have witnessed phenomenal growth of=20 bioinformatics, an exciting field devoted to the interpretation and=20 analysis of biological data using computational techniques. Among=20 the large number of computational techniques used, soft computing,=20 which incorporates=20 =20 * neural networks,=20 * evolutionary computation,=20 * fuzzy systems, and=20 * chao...

CFP
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Special Issue on Parallel Soft Computing Techniques in High Performance Computing Systems=20= of the The Computer Journal (2012 Impact Factor 0.755) http://www.bernabe.dorronsoro.es/imagenes/cfp/CJ-SI-CFP.pdf =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Nowad...

Distributed parallel computing without distributed server?
I have the parallel computing toolbox, but not the distributed computing server. Is it possible to run distributed jobs on a local network cluster from programs written with the parallel toolbox without the distributed server? Or is the server more than just a scheduler; e.g. does it serve as Matlab's alternative to MPI in addition to actually scheduling the jobs? Thanks! "Mark " <mlohry@gmail.com> writes: > I have the parallel computing toolbox, but not the distributed computing > server. Is it possible to run distributed jobs on a local network cluster from > ...

[...]

=20 SOFT COMPUTING Journal - SPRINGER =20 Special Issue on =20 Soft Computing for Bioinformatics =20 CALL FOR PAPERS =20 The past few years have witnessed phenomenal growth of=20 bioinformatics, an exciting field devoted to the interpretation and=20 analysis of biological data using computational techniques. Among=20 the large number of computational techniques used, soft computing,=20 which incorporates=20 =20 * neural networks,=20 * evolutionary computation,=20 * fuzzy systems, and=20 * chaos,=20 =20 stands o...

setup distributed computing for two computer only
Hello, Is there any one who has experiance about how to setup distributed computing for 2 computer only. I really want to know from the start. Any suggestion appreciated. Sincerely Yours, Pujo ajikoe@gmail.com wrote: > Is there any one who has experiance about how to setup distributed > computing for 2 computer only. I really want to know from the start. > Any suggestion appreciated. Please be more specific about "distributed computing"... --Irmen Hello, There are two computer. For example one computer ask other computer to run function, procedure or object then rece...

Distributed parallel computing
Hello, I'm new to distributed and parallel computing. I'm trying to play around with the distributed computing toolbox in matlab by following thru the instruction found at http://www.mathworks.com/support/product/DM/installation/ver_current/confirmation.html I had successfully setup my jobmanager (on computer A), and 3 workers (on computer B). I managed to get the results from the tests till step 4 in the test instruction doc below. http://www.mathworks.com/support/product/DM/installation/ver_current/instructions/s4_SCj.pdf However, when I tried to do some distributed parallel co...

parallel computing in matlab
Hi I like to use parallel threads, to use the multiple processor cores. (I have a quadcore system and frankly when using matlab despite all mathworks claims I NEVER EVER spotted it using more than 1 core (i.e. 25% CPU usage!) - yes I enabled multithreading support in the preferences). Anyway. So I want to take things in my own hands. So I started with and example of an "embarresingly parallel task: filtering 12 images. The images are in the variable imgs{...} tic I={}; h = fspecial('gaussian',30,30); for jj= 1:size(imgs,2) I{jj}=imfilter(imgs{jj},h); end toc -> this takes...

matlab for parallel computing
Is any body doing parallel computing with matlab here? ...

Parallel Computing in MATLAB???
Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to run multiple m-files parallelly in MATLAB. For example, suppose I need to run 'n' script files all independent of each other. I needed it for a robotics application. Is it possible to assign preferences to the processes(like in real time processes) so that a process of lesser preference is put on the hold if a more preferred task needs to be run. Please give details, as I am not very used to MATLAB. Thanks in advance. Regards... "ajay " <ajaypai88@gmail.com> writes: > I would like to know if it is possible to run mu...

Hi guys, I want to run a genetic algorithm in several stations using matlab distributed computing. I've read the toolbox help but i didn't find any information regarding distributed computing in local area network.Has anybody experience in that toolbox? Regard, Ehsan Ehsan <ereihani@yahoo.com> wrote in message <27975120.1204102521745.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org>... > Hi guys, > I want to run a genetic algorithm in several stations using matlab distributed computing. I've read the toolbox help but i didn't find any information regarding distribu...

parallel computing with matlab
Hello friends, I want to know that ,is it possible to do parallel computing with MATLAB on a single computer.I want that different modules communicate and interlinked with each other so that called by other functions also. Hi, have a look at the distributed computing toolbox: http://www.mathworks.com/products/distribtb/ Although mainly intended to seperate the workload to different machines you may also run it on one machine... Titus www.mathworks.com\products\dis "shivi chaturvedi" <shivi79@rediffmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ef3d35a.-1@webcrossing...

Call for Papers: Special Issue 'Evolving Soft Computing Techniques' in Applied Soft Computing
CALL FOR PAPERS: Special Issue: 'Evolving Soft Computing Techniques' http://www.flll.jku.at/sites/default/files/u6/CFP_SI_EvolvingSoftCompTechni= ques.pdf Journal Applied Soft Computing http://www.journals.elsevier.com/applied-soft-computing/ GUEST EDITORS Abdelhamid Bouchachia Department of Informatics-Systems Group of Software Engineering & Soft Computing University of Klagenfurt, Austria Email: hamid@isys.uni-klu.ac.at Edwin Lughofer Department of Knowledge-Based Mathematical Systems Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria Email: edwin.lughofer@jku.at...

parallel computing on a six-core local computer
Hi, I just bought a six-core desktop (12 Threads) and discovered that the maximum worker allowed by the parallel computing toolbox is eight workers. This is really disappointing, and I am just wondering if there is anyway to fully utilize the 12 processes and have 12 workers on one local machine. I browsed the help guide for the Distributed Computing Server toolbox and it seems it only works when you'd like to create workers on remote computers. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! richard "Richard Liu" <richardkailiu@gmail.com> wrote in message news...

Web resources about - parallel computing , distribution computing - comp.soft-sys.matlab

File:Distribution of Average Tax Rates (Individual Income Tax and Employee Payroll Tax) Buffett Rule.JPG ...
This work is in the public domain in the United States because it is a work prepared by an officer or employee of the United States Government ...

Income distribution: Australia's highest earners think they are battlers
High income earners are reluctant to part with their tax breaks in part because they think of themselves as battlers, new research suggests. ...

Income distribution: Australia's highest earners think they are battlers
New research sheds light on why so many high income Australians are reluctant to part with tax breaks. It's because they don't think they are ...

Income distribution: Australia's highest earners think they are battlers
New research sheds light on why so many high income Australians are reluctant to part with tax breaks. It's because they don't think they are ...

eBay has no plans to fix “severe” bug that allows malware distribution [Updated]
Clever "JSF**K" technique allows hackers to bypass eBay block of JavaScript.

Global Venture Capital Distribution
Richard Florida published some stats on the distribution of global venture capital investment last week. His work focused on 2012 numbers so ...

Present day and historic distribution of lions
Present day and historic distribution of lions

Federal Judge Restrains Center For Medical Progress From Further Video Distribution
... and his ilk have more legal woes on their hands. This afternoon, U.S. Judge William Orrick issued a restraining order prohibiting the distribution ...

"Monthly Heroes" Partners with China Mobile for Digital Distribution
Crunchyroll News "Monthly Heroes" Partners with China Mobile for Digital Distribution Crunchyroll News Monthly Heroes, a manga anthology that ...

Disney/ABC Takes Over Distribution Of ‘RightThisMinute’, Clears It On ABC Stations
Viral videos show RightThisMinute , which has been airing in national syndication since fall 2013, distributed by MGM, has changed distribution ...