Parallel computing toolbox setup question

I have a quad core computer; and I use the parallel computing toolbox. I modify the default 'local' setting; and set different number for the "worker" number in the parallel computing setting, for example 2,4,8.. And also set the minimum and maximum worker to work for the task. After the setting, I did the validation to make sure everything is ok.

However, no matter what I set, the AVERAGE cpu usage by MATLAB is exactly 25% of total CPU usage; and None of the cores run at 100% (All are around 10%-30%). I am using MATLAB to run optimization problem, so I really want my quad core computer using all its power to do the computing. Please help

Recent soft computing papers and MATLAB Toolboxes
Dear Colleagues, I would like to call your kind attention to the updated website of the Soft Computing Research Group at the University of Veszprem (Hungary) http://www.fmt.vein.hu/softcomp/ You can download MATLAB Toolboxes: - Fuzzy Clustering MATLAB Toolbox - Genetic Programming MATLAB Toolbox - Interactive Evolutionary Strategy (EASy) MATLAB Toolbox - Constrained Fuzzy Model Identification for the FMID Toolbox independent MATLAB programs related to: - Data mining * Fuzzy clustering based time-series segmentation * Supervised Fuzzy Clustering for the Identification of Fuzzy Classifiers * Fuzzy Modeling with Multidimensional Membership Functions: Grey-Box Identification and Control Design * Compact TS-Fuzzy Models through Clustering and OLS plus FIS Model Reduction * Inconsistency Analysis of Labeled Data * Star plots - MATLAB files for Graphical Representation of trace elements of clinkers - Process control and monitoring * Feedback Linearizing Control Using Hybrid Neural Networks Identified by Sensitivity Approach * Incorporating Prior Knowledge in Cubic Spline Approximation - Application to the Identification of Reaction Kinetic Models * Identification and Control of Nonlinear Systems Using Fuzzy Hammerstein Models - A Simple Fuzzy Classifier based on manuscripts in PDF about - fuzzy model based process control and monitoring - fuzzy clustering and classification - incorporation of a priori knowledge in the identif...

[...]

parallel computing
Hello Everyone, I just purchased the parallel computing toolbox. I have 2 general questions on the 'spmd' function. Is running looping iterations on spmd faster than normal for loops ? Is spmd faster on quad core (4 cores) vs a dual core(2 cores) , again in the case of running looping iterations ? regards,Kate "Kate " <chino_tones@hotmail.com> wrote in message <j7tsjk$5r3$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hello Everyone, > > I just purchased the parallel computing toolbox. I have 2 general questions on the 'spmd' function. > > Is running looping iterations on spmd faster than normal for loops ? ========= The only chance it would be is if you distribute the loop, using for...drange. > Is spmd faster on quad core (4 cores) vs a dual core(2 cores) , again in the case of running looping iterations ? ============= You'll never know until you try. In my experience, It depends too much on what's being parallelized and the specifics of your architecture. ...

question on faster run-time with Parallel Computing toolbox
Good day all, I currently have an optimization algorithm implemented in Matlab. The time to arrive at a solution for this algorithm varies. There is a speed variation since success of ending the optimization relies on randomly selecting a set of data which is hopefully reliable enough for a solution. So for example, my algorithm can end in little as 1 iterations or a maximum of 200 iterations ( i.e. ,a value which I set). I have seen Matlab's Parallel computing toolbox but not sure if would apply to my situation. I would like to know if it is possible to somehow run my algorithm in "parallel" jobs, such that, I can run the script multiple times and end the overall algorithm with the job that terminates first ? Is anything like this or similarly possible with the parallel toolbox? thanks any suggestions, Aiden "Aidy" wrote in message <j7i8jp$1ai$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Good day all, > > I currently have an optimization algorithm implemented in Matlab. The time to arrive at a solution for this algorithm varies. > > There is a speed variation since success of ending the optimization relies on randomly selecting a set of data which is hopefully reliable enough for a solution. So for example, my algorithm can end in little as 1 iterations or a maximum of 200 iterations ( i.e. ,a value which I set). > > I have seen Matlab's Parallel computing toolbox but not sure if would apply to my situati...

Parallel computing toolbox #3
Hi, I am using wring some codes to run my program in parallel using the matlab parallel toolbox. My program is all based on command line and no GUI is provided. So I am wondering if I can use command line to - detect how many cpus can be set to be a worker - set up the local workers, - and any other commands that dealing with this parallel toolbox Thanks very much. "George " <guanjihou@gmail.com> writes: > I am using wring some codes to run my program in parallel using the matlab > parallel toolbox. My program is all based on command line and no GUI is > provided. So I am wondering if I can use command line to - detect how many cpus > can be set to be a worker > - set up the local workers, > - and any other commands that dealing with this parallel toolbox The local scheduler automatically detects how many cores your machine has, providing you do not modify the local profile (you can specify an explicit number which overrides the automatic value). So, for example, if you issue the command matlabpool open local that will start as many workers as you have cores on your machine. The local scheduler keeps track of how many workers are running, and will not exceed the number of cores on your machine. Cheers, Edric. Edric M Ellis <eellis@mathworks.com> wrote in message <ytwvcmxoqpg.fsf@uk-eellis0l.dhcp.mathworks.com>... > "George " <guanjihou@gmail.com> writes: > > > I am using wring some ...

Call For Papers: Soft Computing for Bioinformatics (SOFT COMPUTING Journal
=20 SOFT COMPUTING Journal - SPRINGER =20 Special Issue on =20 Soft Computing for Bioinformatics =20 CALL FOR PAPERS =20 The past few years have witnessed phenomenal growth of=20 bioinformatics, an exciting field devoted to the interpretation and=20 analysis of biological data using computational techniques. Among=20 the large number of computational techniques used, soft computing,=20 which incorporates=20 =20 * neural networks,=20 * evolutionary computation,=20 * fuzzy systems, and=20 * chaos,=20 =20 stands out because of its demonstrated strength in handling=20 imprecise information and providing novel solutions to hard=20 problems.=20 =20 This special issue aims at not only showcasing innovative=20 applications of soft computing techniques to bioinformatics, but=20 also clarifying outstanding issues for future progress.=20 =20 Biological areas of interest include but are not limited to the=20 following:=20 =20 * protein structure and function,=20 * genomics,=20 * proteomics,=20 * molecular sequence analysis,=20 * evolution and phylogenetics,=20 * molecular interactions and structure,=20 * gene expression,=20 * metabolic pathways,=20 * regulatory networks,=20 * developmental control and systems biology. =20 =20 Papers should be submitted in PDF format via email to any of the=20 following guest editors by 30 March 2004: =20 * David Corne (D.W.Corne@exeter.ac....

Parallel Computing Toolbox for Academic License
Dear MATLAB experts, currently, I use the academic version of MATLAB and I would like to try out the Parallel Computing Toolbox. Is there any way to acquire this toolbox for my academic MATLAB version? Kind Regards, Dima "Dimitri " <dimitrn@g.clemson.edu> wrote in message news:jiqmsn$bcn$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > Dear MATLAB experts, > > currently, I use the academic version of MATLAB and I would like to try > out the Parallel Computing Toolbox. Is there any way to acquire this > toolbox for my academic MATLAB version? If you're using the Student Version of MATLAB, Parallel Computing Toolbox is available as an add-on product. http://www.mathworks.com/academia/student_version/companion.html Note that MATLAB Distributed Computing Server is NOT available as an add-on product, so I don't believe you will be able to connect multiple machines to create a cluster using Student Version. You should be able to use a local cluster, though. If you're using the Professional Version of MATLAB using Clemson University's license, you will need to check with the IT staff that are responsible for maintaining that license to determine if Parallel Computing Toolbox is included in the license or to discuss setting up a trial version of the toolbox if it is not. -- Steve Lord slord@mathworks.com To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on http://www.mathworks.com ...

Parallel computing toolbox running problem
Dear all, I am currently using parallel computing for optimization. I use "matlabpool open 8" command; and use Multistart function for the optimization. In the Multistart function it has been set to be "UseParallel" is "always". Problem is that I see 9 MATLAB image name in Window task manager. Only one of them use 25% of my CPU resource (I have a quad core computer; 25% is equal to one core is fully operating) . All others are 0% CPU usage. I really don't understand the situation. In term of memory usage, the one using 25% of CPU power use 210M bytes. All the others uses 109M bytes. In my computer, open a new MATLAB window but doing nothing is around 109M bytes. What that means?? Please help. I need the parallel computing power. Thanks ...

Is the parallel computing toolbox the solution to this problem?
Hi, I am designing a feedback control loop as part of a project. The MATLAB program reads data through the analog input of a DAC (NI USB 6009), and when there is enough data (say N), it starts to process the data to get a control output and send it through the digital output of the DAC. The reading should be kept going while processing the control signal; and the control signal calculation is refreshed when every time when N/3 data comes in (like a moving window of size N, averaging the old data with the new ones) My problem is how to perform these in parallel? This doesn't need to be in real time, but needs to be fairly quick, the delay still needs to be in orders of seconds. I am not sure if parallel computing toolbox is the solution or there are better (simpler) ways. I am new to Matlab, so please give me some advice on this ^^ thank u all. ...

People tracking example in computer vision toolbox in matlab
Hey,, I am new into the area of image processing and matlab Can any one help me either by explainging or referencing some papers show how the People tracking example in computer vision toolbox in matlab ... I am also interesting if I attached different markers to different people how can I use thses markers to track people by labeling people in the video according to their markers ...

Parallel Computing Toolbox se of resources in a multi-core, multi-GPU system
I have a x86-64 system w/ 12 Cores and 8 GPU cards. Supposing I have the parallel toolbox, I am allowed to use up to 12 workers. From what I understand, the following scenario would work (Please correct me if I'm wrong): assign N workers to N GPU cards and (12-N) workers to (12-N) cores. Now, are we allowed to assign multiple cores to a single worker, and have that worker multi thread between cores? For example, use 5 workers: 4 workers to 4 GPU cards, and 1 Worker for 6 cores? I would appreciate any help. ...

parallel computing on a six-core local computer
Hi, I just bought a six-core desktop (12 Threads) and discovered that the maximum worker allowed by the parallel computing toolbox is eight workers. This is really disappointing, and I am just wondering if there is anyway to fully utilize the 12 processes and have 12 workers on one local machine. I browsed the help guide for the Distributed Computing Server toolbox and it seems it only works when you'd like to create workers on remote computers. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! richard "Richard Liu" <richardkailiu@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hrhupd$2v3$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi, I just bought a six-core desktop (12 Threads) and discovered that the > maximum worker allowed by the parallel computing toolbox is eight workers. I believe that is the correct behavior, assuming you have just Parallel Computing Toolbox. To use more than 8 local workers, or to use workers across multiple machines, you will need MATLAB Distributed Computing Server as well. > This is really disappointing, and I am just wondering if there is anyway > to fully utilize the 12 processes and have 12 workers on one local > machine. I browsed the help guide for the Distributed Computing Server > toolbox and it seems it only works when you'd like to create workers on > remote computers. That is not the case. Could you post the URL of the documentation page that gave you that impression, so that our d...

parallel computing using Cell Computing Model
Hi, i've written an open source C++ framework for Cell Computing. Cell Computing is alike grid computing, but is leant on the biologic. If you are interested please visit http://www.xatlanits.ch. Unfortunately not all documents are available in english yet. All ideas and improvments are welcome :-) -- ...

Questions, Questions...
Hi! I took the routine from Gastronor.mdb: In the frmOrderDetails -> ITemID_AfterUpdate: Dim strFilter as String strFilter = "ItemID = " & Me!ItemID but it didn't work on win 2000 with access 2000. However, after playing around for a while, I found: Me!UnitPrice = ItemID.Column(2) to work just fine, even after updating prices in the tblItems. Anybody knows why? The routine in win 98/win nt in the footer of frmOrderDetails: =Sum((Price*Amount*(1-[Discount])/100)*100)) didn't either work. After testing and trying I finally discovered that =Sum(Price*Amount*Discount) does the job on win 2000. ???? What is happening? Anybody know if there is a major difference in this thing from win98/win nt to win 2000? (I should maybe say that I'm working only with DAO 3.6) Questions: 1.I have my own four buttons on frmOrders (btnGoToFirst,btnGoToPRevious,btnGoToNext,btnGoToLast). How can I disable them: when user click GoToLast and comes to last order and I wish that btnGoToNext and btnGoToLast should be disabled, and similarly with the first record? Anybody know an article on this? 2.I have two invisible fields on the form. I=chkWritten and II=chkCreditMemo In the cmdWriteCreditMemo I want to check whether I and/or II is checked. Because the user should not be able to print a CreditMemo if either he forgot to print an invoice first, or if he already sendt both invoice and creditmemo to printer. I have been trying: if (Me.chkPrinted.Value=False) AND ...

setup question
Would you mind telling me how I can setup the OS minix on virtual machine without any floppy disk ? "Wind Young" <eswnwind@163.com> writes: > Would you mind telling me how I can setup the OS minix on virtual machine > without any floppy disk ? Which virtual machine? Do the images provided on www.minix3.org not work for you? -- Thomas Bjorn Andersen +++ATH If you use VMware it is easy. First get the minix image, burn a CD and then create new virtual machine in VMware (type other) and install the minix OS following the documentation on minix3.org site. Once install is finished you can shutdown, remove the CD and start the virtual machine again. It will boot into minix automatically. Jan Can you tell me which simulator are you using ? If you are trying to use qemu, I can offer some suggestions. Karram Wind Young wrote: > Would you mind telling me how I can setup the OS minix on virtual machine > without any floppy disk ? > > You download the minix iso, then you create a new VM , and in the Edit VM Settings Dialog/CDROM you tell VM-Ware, that the CD-rom device is an ISO Image, and then you browse to the downloaded Image and click on it, then you start the VM the VM will boot minix. ...

Compute once question
I'm having trouble getting Mathematica not to repeatedly compute values in a Manipulate Window. I'm not sure if it's a bug in my code or if it's a fundamental disconnect between what I think is going on and what Mathematica is actually doing. What my code is doing is slicing a circle into segments, rotating the slices and then translating them. When the process first starts out, I'm dealing with a small number of slices so the response is immediate. The process eventually works up to around 20 slices and the user begins to see a slight delay between manipulating the controller and seeing the result. At 100 slices, we're talking about a 3 or 4 second lag which isn't OK. When I first started the process, I was allowing the user to directly manipulate the slice count. When I saw the lags starting to kick in, I thought I'd just let the user control a step counter instead and based on which step the user was on, compute the graphic, store the graphic and reuse the stored graphic as we moved further into the process. That is: If[Step<=8, <do intensive computation and store graphic in G>]; Graphics[G]; So when Step gets to 9, I expect G to pop up on the screen right away but it doesn't. The program still takes several seconds as if it's recomputing G. Am I wrong to expect Mathematica to only compute G when Step is less than 9? I'd post the actual code but it's rather hoary. Hopefully my question st...

can't run matlab setup/No puedo correr matlab
Hi! I opened the&nbsp;matlab script fractal.vi&nbsp;then my antivirus (Kaspersky)&nbsp;ask&nbsp;if I acept the modified te registry of matlab setup,&nbsp; I &nbsp;say "yes" After that when I want open matlab the setup run but inmediatly it's close, why???? &nbsp; Hola: Abri el matlab script fractal.vi y mi antivirus (Kasoersky)me preguntaba si aceptaba una modificacion del registro del setup de matlab yo acepte Despues de eso cuanto abro matlab se cierra inmediatamente porque?? &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Hola Sa�l Es probable que el problema est� relacionado con el antivirus Kaspersky, trata de deshabilitarlo y correr nuevamente el ejemplo.&nbsp; Si esto no funciona revisa el estado de tus licencias de LabVIEW y de Matlab, probablemente tengas que reinstalar el programa y/o activar las licencias. �Qu� versi�n de LabVIEW y Matlab tienes? �El comportamiento es el mismo con el otro ejemplo?, me refiero al de la siguiente dir: labview\examples\scriptnode\Differential Equation.llb\MATLAB Script - Lorenz Diff Eq.vi Si corres este ejemplo �El antivirus tambi�n te pregunta cambiar lo de los registros?, ser�a bueno contactar a Mathworks para saber c�mo reconfigurar nuevamente los registros de Matlab ...

Applications of parallel computing
Hi all, I'm working on a project that involves parallel computing, and I'm trying to think of applications that would benefit from parallel computing. For example, in cubic spline interpolation, I can divide the interval into groups that can each be handled by a processor. However, that simply provides an embarrassingly parallel solution. I would like to know if there are any problems that will benefit from parallel computing, for example problems that are computationally intensive. I'll be using MPI to program the parallel solutions. Thank you. Regards, Rayne [Moderator: see the Grand Challenge panel which should be auto posted in a few more days.] -- ...

Parallel Computing under FreeBSD
Has anyone of you ever used LAM/MPI (Parallel Computing) under FreeBSD and if so, How has it performed compared to a Linux machine running it. Thanks -- ...

eig with parallel toolbox
can eig can be used for [V D] = eig(A,B) with codistributed arrays and parallel toolbox "saurabh gupta" <saurabh@isu.iisc.ernet.in> writes: > can eig can be used for [V D] = eig(A,B) with codistributed arrays and > parallel toolbox Currently it cannot. In R2012a, "help codistributed/eig" shows that the supported EIG syntaxes are: D = eig(A) [V,D] = eig(A) A must be real symmetric or complex Hermitian. Cheers, Edric. Edric M Ellis <eellis@mathworks.com> wrote in message <ytwobrw4vdi.fsf@uk-eellis0l.dhcp.mathworks.com>... > "saurabh gupta" <saurabh@isu.iisc.ernet.in> writes: > > can eig can be used for [V D] = eig(A,B) with codistributed arrays and > > parallel toolbox > > Currently it cannot. In R2012a, "help codistributed/eig" shows that the > supported EIG syntaxes are: > > D = eig(A) > [V,D] = eig(A) > > A must be real symmetric or complex Hermitian. > > Cheers, > > Edric. thanks Edric. ...

Compiling or parallel computing?
Hi all, i wrote a script and a function intersect(line, cube). the function is called in the script 8000*2000 times where 8000 is the number of lines and 2000 is the number of cubes. i would like to call the function for each cube and each line. so i did the following %============================= for i=1:8000 for j=1:2000 output(i,j)= intersect(line (i), cube (j)) end end %============================= the lines and cubes are totally independent. This takes a 10 seconds max for only one cube and one line but it is taking forever for all the 8000 lines and 2000 cubes. I dont know what is the best solution to improve the processing time. 1) compiling? 2) parallel computing? if this or that, please advise. any help would be very appreciated. "Timo " <laamhamd@yahoo.fr> wrote in message <ji3sgt$cn$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hi all, > > i wrote a script and a function intersect(line, cube). > the function is called in the script 8000*2000 times where 8000 is the number of lines and 2000 is the number of cubes. > > i would like to call the function for each cube and each line. > so i did the following > > %============================= > for i=1:8000 > for j=1:2000 > output(i,j)= intersect(line (i), cube (j)) > end > end > %============================= > > the lines and cubes are totally independent. > > This takes a 10 seconds max fo...

problem with parallel matlab
for i=1:size(APLocation,1) point=APLocation(i,:); parfor j=1:length (RXpoint) rssi(i,j) = LOSS(point,RXpoint(:,j)'); %%rssi having the signal strength from all AP's end end when i'm running the following code, i get the same value for each element of rssi (serially i get different results) where is my problem? Creating some fake data and and implementing a simple LOSS function, I do not see a different between the serial and parallel execution. Does LOSS use any persistent or global variables? function [ rssi rssi2 ] = foo APLocation = rand(10); RXpoint = rand(10) * 5; for i=1:size(APLocation,1) point=APLocation(i,:); parfor j=1:length (RXpoint) rssi(i,j) = LOSS(point,RXpoint(:,j)'); end end for i=1:size(APLocation,1) point=APLocation(i,:); for j=1:length (RXpoint) rssi2(i,j) = LOSS(point,RXpoint(:,j)'); end end end function rv = LOSS( a,b ) rv = sum( a+b ); end "michael" <bezenchu@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ht0t0k$fce$1@fred.mathworks.com... > for i=1:size(APLocation,1) > point=APLocation(i,:); > parfor j=1:length (RXpoint) > rssi(i,j) = LOSS(point,RXpoint(:,j)'); %%rssi having the signal > strength from all AP's > end > end > > when i'm running the following code, i get the same value for each element ...

Fetchmail
Greetings I have set up fetchmail to retrieve my emails from an external server and deliver them to my small home network. I have a broadband connection and have set fetchmail up in an hourly cron job. It works wonderfully well. However, fetchmail sends an email to my internal user each time it is run. I cannot find any reference to this in the manual pages and my internal mailbox is rapidly filling up! Does anyone know of a way to turn this off? I would be quite satisfied with it only putting an entry in the syslog (which it is doing) and not sending the emails. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greg Gailer g_gailer@yahoo.com.au In comp.os.linux.networking, Greg Gailer wrote: >Greetings >I have set up fetchmail to retrieve my emails from an external server and >deliver them to my small home network. I have a broadband connection and >have set fetchmail up in an hourly cron job. It works wonderfully well. >However, fetchmail sends an email to my internal user each time it is run. It's not fetchmail that is sending those emails, but cron. Any output from a cron job is 'captured' by cron and sent to the owner of the cron job. If you redirect the standard output from fetchmail to /dev/null (by adding "> /dev/null" to the end of the fetchmail command) no output from fetchmail is seen by cron and no email will be sent. -- Maurice mauricej (at) xs4all (dot) nl Maurice Janssen wrote: > adding &quo...

Web resources about - Parallel computing toolbox setup question - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the formal concept of computation, see computation . For the magazine, see Computing (magazine) . For the scientific journal, see Computing ...

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Apple Signs Deal To Use Google’s Cloud Computing
More and more businesses are moving their computing platform to the cloud. Cloud computing is the term given to accessing computer and database ...

The coolest thing Sony has built in years might show us the future of computing
... the coolest examples of this back in October when we told you about the MUV Bird, which you can read about here . While the idea that our computing ...

Skyport Raises $30M from GV and Cisco Investments to Ramp Delivery of Zero-Trust Secure Computing Infrastructure ...
Skyport Systems, the company redefining enterprise security architecture, today announced a $30 million round of funding, enabling the company ...

Total cranks up computing power to better see below earth's surface
Oil company Total has almost tripled the performance of Pangea, a supercomputer it uses for analyzing subsurface imaging in search of new oilfields. ...

Could a Fredkin gate be the next quantum leap forward for computing?
Building quantum computers is tricky business, with a range of obstacles to overcome, but scientists have had a recent breakthrough with a new ...

Quanta partners with Ericsson for cloud computing datacenter business
Quanta Computer has partnered with telecom equipment maker Ericsson to push the cloud computing datacenter market and the cooperation is expected ...

Eight Ways Solar Power Is Driving New-Gen Computing
As solar technology advances, it's becoming clear that solar is a vital part of the equation that will grow tech's future.

GPU computing breakthrough? Cloud rendering company claims to run CUDA on non-Nvidia GPUs
The cloud rendering company Otoy is claiming to have invented a new software translation layer that would allow Nvidia's CUDA to run on a variety ...