parallel computing toolbox without distributive computing toolbox

Hi,

Is it true that the parallel computing toolbox won't work if the distributive computing toolbox has not been installed? Because then if I type in 'matlabpool', I received the following err msg:
"  License checkout failed.
License Manager Error -4
Maximum number of users for Distrib_Computing_Toolbox reached.
Try again later.
To see a list of current users use the lmstat utility or contact your License Administrator.

Troubleshoot this issue by visiting:
http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/R2008b/4

Diagnostic Information:
Feature: Distrib_Computing_Toolbox
License path: /myhome/.matlab/R2008b_licenses:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/license.dat:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/network.lic:
FLEXnet Licensing error: -4,132."

So it failed to start matlabpool when Distributive Computing Toolbox is missing. And we know that if matlabpool is not working, then parfor loops will be just the same as serial for loops. I also got similar err when I tried with 'findResource' or 'pmode'. They are not working even on a local multi-core PC, not to mention a cluster system. Does this mean, without Distributive Computing Toolbox,  parallel computing toolbox is useless?
0
dusigh (4)

Hi Sig,

Let me clarify one thing, there are two products: The Parallel Computing Toolbox (client side) and the MATLAB Distributed Computing Server (server side).  Functions like parfor are built into the language.  Others, like matlabpool, batch, and spmd require PCT.  The PCT functionality allows you to submit jobs serviced by MDCS.

The License Manager error is stating that all the PCT licenses have been checked out.  Without a PCT license, you can't start run jobs on the cluster.

Let me know if this helps.

Raymond

"Sig Du" <dusigh@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h9r4tv$7o6$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Is it true that the parallel computing toolbox won't work if the distributive computing toolbox has not been installed? Because then if I type in 'matlabpool', I received the following err msg:
> "  License checkout failed.
> License Manager Error -4
> Maximum number of users for Distrib_Computing_Toolbox reached.
> Try again later.
> To see a list of current users use the lmstat utility or contact your License Administrator.
>
> Troubleshoot this issue by visiting:
> http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/R2008b/4
>
> Diagnostic Information:
> Feature: Distrib_Computing_Toolbox
> License path: /myhome/.matlab/R2008b_licenses:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/license.dat:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/network.lic:
> FLEXnet Licensing error: -4,132."
>
> So it failed to start matlabpool when Distributive Computing Toolbox is missing. And we know that if matlabpool is not working, then parfor loops will be just the same as serial for loops. I also got similar err when I tried with 'findResource' or 'pmode'. They are not working even on a local multi-core PC, not to mention a cluster system. Does this mean, without Distributive Computing Toolbox,  parallel computing toolbox is useless?
Raymond,

Thanks for your reply! When you said "Functions like parfor are built into the language", you mean that this function can stand alone or that it can automatically judge the situation and do parallel computing? I think maybe you meant the former, because if I don't start matlab pool, then parfor is acting just like for, right?

The strange thing is that we do have the parallel computing toolbox installed. Doesn't that mean we should have license for that toolbox? I don't think it was because there are too many users here, as whenever I tried it, I got the same msg.

Thanks again!
Sig

"Raymond Norris" <raymond.norris@mathworks.com> wrote in message <h9rmgg$p9b$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hi Sig,
>
> Let me clarify one thing, there are two products: The Parallel Computing Toolbox (client side) and the MATLAB Distributed Computing Server (server side).  Functions like parfor are built into the language.  Others, like matlabpool, batch, and spmd require PCT.  The PCT functionality allows you to submit jobs serviced by MDCS.
>
> The License Manager error is stating that all the PCT licenses have been checked out.  Without a PCT license, you can't start run jobs on the cluster.
>
> Let me know if this helps.
>
> Raymond
>
> "Sig Du" <dusigh@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h9r4tv$7o6$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it true that the parallel computing toolbox won't work if the distributive computing toolbox has not been installed? Because then if I type in 'matlabpool', I received the following err msg:
> > "  License checkout failed.
> > License Manager Error -4
> > Maximum number of users for Distrib_Computing_Toolbox reached.
> > Try again later.
> > To see a list of current users use the lmstat utility or contact your License Administrator.
> >
> > Troubleshoot this issue by visiting:
> > http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/R2008b/4
> >
> > Diagnostic Information:
> > Feature: Distrib_Computing_Toolbox
> > License path: /myhome/.matlab/R2008b_licenses:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/license.dat:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/network.lic:
> > FLEXnet Licensing error: -4,132."
> >
> > So it failed to start matlabpool when Distributive Computing Toolbox is missing. And we know that if matlabpool is not working, then parfor loops will be just the same as serial for loops. I also got similar err when I tried with 'findResource' or 'pmode'. They are not working even on a local multi-core PC, not to mention a cluster system. Does this mean, without Distributive Computing Toolbox,  parallel computing toolbox is useless?
0
dusigh (4)
9/29/2009 3:40:20 AM
Hi Raymond,

Another question I would like to ask: if I don't have MDCS, but can make the PCT work, can I get my parallel computation matlab job run on cluster with Torque? Since you said MDCS allows me to submit the job, but Torque can do this job too.  I guess Torque can be a substitute for MDCS, right?

thanks,
Sig

"Raymond Norris" <raymond.norris@mathworks.com> wrote in message <h9rmgg$p9b$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hi Sig,
>
> Let me clarify one thing, there are two products: The Parallel Computing Toolbox (client side) and the MATLAB Distributed Computing Server (server side).  Functions like parfor are built into the language.  Others, like matlabpool, batch, and spmd require PCT.  The PCT functionality allows you to submit jobs serviced by MDCS.
>
> The License Manager error is stating that all the PCT licenses have been checked out.  Without a PCT license, you can't start run jobs on the cluster.
>
> Let me know if this helps.
>
> Raymond
>
> "Sig Du" <dusigh@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h9r4tv$7o6$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it true that the parallel computing toolbox won't work if the distributive computing toolbox has not been installed? Because then if I type in 'matlabpool', I received the following err msg:
> > "  License checkout failed.
> > License Manager Error -4
> > Maximum number of users for Distrib_Computing_Toolbox reached.
> > Try again later.
> > To see a list of current users use the lmstat utility or contact your License Administrator.
> >
> > Troubleshoot this issue by visiting:
> > http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/R2008b/4
> >
> > Diagnostic Information:
> > Feature: Distrib_Computing_Toolbox
> > License path: /myhome/.matlab/R2008b_licenses:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/license.dat:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/network.lic:
> > FLEXnet Licensing error: -4,132."
> >
> > So it failed to start matlabpool when Distributive Computing Toolbox is missing. And we know that if matlabpool is not working, then parfor loops will be just the same as serial for loops. I also got similar err when I tried with 'findResource' or 'pmode'. They are not working even on a local multi-core PC, not to mention a cluster system. Does this mean, without Distributive Computing Toolbox,  parallel computing toolbox is useless?
0
dusigh (4)
9/29/2009 4:15:18 AM
Correct.  parfor identifies if a MATLAB Pool is running.  If it is, we leverage the Pool.  If not, then the parfor runs very similar to the for loop.  This allows you to convert your for to a parfor and still give it to someone who doesn't have PCT.

Having PCT installed isn't the same as being licensed.  Everyone can install PCT locally on the Windows machine (for example), but the flexLM might only allow 3 people to use it at the same time.  The message

   Maximum number of users for Distrib_Computing_Toolbox reached

cetainly seems to indiciate that more people are trying to use it then are licensed for.  I would suggest speakin with your Sys Admin to determine how many licenses you have.  S/he might also be able to indicate who the current users are.

Raymond

"Sig Du" <dusigh@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h9rvj4$pnd$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Raymond,
>
> Thanks for your reply! When you said "Functions like parfor are built into the language", you mean that this function can stand alone or that it can automatically judge the situation and do parallel computing? I think maybe you meant the former, because if I don't start matlab pool, then parfor is acting just like for, right?
>
> The strange thing is that we do have the parallel computing toolbox installed. Doesn't that mean we should have license for that toolbox? I don't think it was because there are too many users here, as whenever I tried it, I got the same msg.
>
> Thanks again!
> Sig
>
> "Raymond Norris" <raymond.norris@mathworks.com> wrote in message <h9rmgg$p9b$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Hi Sig,
> >
> > Let me clarify one thing, there are two products: The Parallel Computing Toolbox (client side) and the MATLAB Distributed Computing Server (server side).  Functions like parfor are built into the language.  Others, like matlabpool, batch, and spmd require PCT.  The PCT functionality allows you to submit jobs serviced by MDCS.
> >
> > The License Manager error is stating that all the PCT licenses have been checked out.  Without a PCT license, you can't start run jobs on the cluster.
> >
> > Let me know if this helps.
> >
> > Raymond
> >
> > "Sig Du" <dusigh@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h9r4tv$7o6$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is it true that the parallel computing toolbox won't work if the distributive computing toolbox has not been installed? Because then if I type in 'matlabpool', I received the following err msg:
> > > "  License checkout failed.
> > > License Manager Error -4
> > > Maximum number of users for Distrib_Computing_Toolbox reached.
> > > Try again later.
> > > To see a list of current users use the lmstat utility or contact your License Administrator.
> > >
> > > Troubleshoot this issue by visiting:
> > > http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/R2008b/4
> > >
> > > Diagnostic Information:
> > > Feature: Distrib_Computing_Toolbox
> > > License path: /myhome/.matlab/R2008b_licenses:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/license.dat:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/network.lic:
> > > FLEXnet Licensing error: -4,132."
> > >
> > > So it failed to start matlabpool when Distributive Computing Toolbox is missing. And we know that if matlabpool is not working, then parfor loops will be just the same as serial for loops. I also got similar err when I tried with 'findResource' or 'pmode'. They are not working even on a local multi-core PC, not to mention a cluster system. Does this mean, without Distributive Computing Toolbox,  parallel computing toolbox is useless?
MDCS doesn't allow you to submit MATLAB jobs -- MDCS is (headless) MATLAB.  We provide a scheduler, MathWorks Job Manager, that can submit MATLAB jobs to MDCS.  The Job Manager can be substituted by TORQUE.

I think you might be asking the following question:  Can you submit a MATLAB job via PCT to TORQUE that starts up full MATLAB rather than MDCS.  PCT is written to instruct TORQUE to startup MDCS, not MATLAB (there is a slight difference between full MATLAB mode and MDCS).  And truthfully, you don't want to be useing full MATLAB licenses to run on the cluster.  It's more economical to run MDCS than full MATLAB on the cluster.

Tell me if this answers your questions.

Raymond

"Sig Du" <dusigh@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h9s1km$5vh$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hi Raymond,
>
> Another question I would like to ask: if I don't have MDCS, but can make the PCT work, can I get my parallel computation matlab job run on cluster with Torque? Since you said MDCS allows me to submit the job, but Torque can do this job too.  I guess Torque can be a substitute for MDCS, right?
>
> thanks,
> Sig
>
> "Raymond Norris" <raymond.norris@mathworks.com> wrote in message <h9rmgg$p9b$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Hi Sig,
> >
> > Let me clarify one thing, there are two products: The Parallel Computing Toolbox (client side) and the MATLAB Distributed Computing Server (server side).  Functions like parfor are built into the language.  Others, like matlabpool, batch, and spmd require PCT.  The PCT functionality allows you to submit jobs serviced by MDCS.
> >
> > The License Manager error is stating that all the PCT licenses have been checked out.  Without a PCT license, you can't start run jobs on the cluster.
> >
> > Let me know if this helps.
> >
> > Raymond
> >
> > "Sig Du" <dusigh@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h9r4tv$7o6$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is it true that the parallel computing toolbox won't work if the distributive computing toolbox has not been installed? Because then if I type in 'matlabpool', I received the following err msg:
> > > "  License checkout failed.
> > > License Manager Error -4
> > > Maximum number of users for Distrib_Computing_Toolbox reached.
> > > Try again later.
> > > To see a list of current users use the lmstat utility or contact your License Administrator.
> > >
> > > Troubleshoot this issue by visiting:
> > > http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/R2008b/4
> > >
> > > Diagnostic Information:
> > > Feature: Distrib_Computing_Toolbox
> > > License path: /myhome/.matlab/R2008b_licenses:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/license.dat:/opt/stow/matlab-r2008b/licenses/network.lic:
> > > FLEXnet Licensing error: -4,132."
> > >
> > > So it failed to start matlabpool when Distributive Computing Toolbox is missing. And we know that if matlabpool is not working, then parfor loops will be just the same as serial for loops. I also got similar err when I tried with 'findResource' or 'pmode'. They are not working even on a local multi-core PC, not to mention a cluster system. Does this mean, without Distributive Computing Toolbox,  parallel computing toolbox is useless?
Raymond,

Thanks a lot. Your answer is very helpful. I've aske our admin to work on the license problem. One final thing to confirm: If I write some code with 'parfor', and I have Torque on the cluster. Suppose I request multiple nodes through Torque and submit this code to cluster without first running the 'matlabpool' command,  my code won't automatically run parallelly, is that right?

thanks,
Sig

"Raymond Norris" <raymond.norris@mathworks.com> wrote in message <h9t3e1$mv5$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> MDCS doesn't allow you to submit MATLAB jobs -- MDCS is (headless) MATLAB.  We provide a scheduler, MathWorks Job Manager, that can submit MATLAB jobs to MDCS.  The Job Manager can be substituted by TORQUE.
>
> I think you might be asking the following question:  Can you submit a MATLAB job via PCT to TORQUE that starts up full MATLAB rather than MDCS.  PCT is written to instruct TORQUE to startup MDCS, not MATLAB (there is a slight difference between full MATLAB mode and MDCS).  And truthfully, you don't want to be useing full MATLAB licenses to run on the cluster.  It's more economical to run MDCS than full MATLAB on the cluster.
>
> Tell me if this answers your questions.
>
> Raymond
>
> "Sig Du" <dusigh@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h9s1km$5vh$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Hi Raymond,
> >
> > Another question I would like to ask: if I don't have MDCS, but can make the PCT work, can I get my parallel computation matlab job run on cluster with Torque? Since you said MDCS allows me to submit the job, but Torque can do this job too.  I guess Torque can be a substitute for MDCS, right?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Sig
> >
> > "Raymond Norris" <raymond.norris@mathworks.com> wrote in message <h9rmgg$p9b$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > > Hi Sig,
> > >
> > > Let me clarify one thing, there are two products: The Parallel Computing Toolbox (client side) and the MATLAB Distributed Computing Server (server side).  Functions like parfor are built into the language.  Others, like matlabpool, batch, and spmd require PCT.  The PCT functionality allows you to submit jobs serviced by MDCS.
> > >
> > > The License Manager error is stating that all the PCT licenses have been checked out.  Without a PCT license, you can't start run jobs on the cluster.
> > >
> > > Let me know if this helps.
> > >
> > > Raymond

0
dusigh (4)
9/30/2009 2:07:17 PM
There are two ways to run a MATLAB Pool over TORQUE.

1. Interactively.  That is, from the MATLAB prompt you run

   >> matlabpool open torque_config 4

Using a (made up) configuration called torque_config, you start 4 Workers on the cluster.  Now if you run a parfor, it will submit the tasks to TORQUE.

2. Batch.  By using the batch() command, you can either run your code serially on one Worker or pass as an argument the size of the MATLAB Pool to startup for you when you submit the job.

   >> job = batch('myscript','Matlabpool',4)

Raymond

"Sig Du" <dusigh@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h9voml$ira$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Raymond,
>
> Thanks a lot. Your answer is very helpful. I've aske our admin to work on the license problem. One final thing to confirm: If I write some code with 'parfor', and I have Torque on the cluster. Suppose I request multiple nodes through Torque and submit this code to cluster without first running the 'matlabpool' command,  my code won't automatically run parallelly, is that right?
>
> thanks,
> Sig
>
> "Raymond Norris" <raymond.norris@mathworks.com> wrote in message <h9t3e1$mv5$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > MDCS doesn't allow you to submit MATLAB jobs -- MDCS is (headless) MATLAB.  We provide a scheduler, MathWorks Job Manager, that can submit MATLAB jobs to MDCS.  The Job Manager can be substituted by TORQUE.
> >
> > I think you might be asking the following question:  Can you submit a MATLAB job via PCT to TORQUE that starts up full MATLAB rather than MDCS.  PCT is written to instruct TORQUE to startup MDCS, not MATLAB (there is a slight difference between full MATLAB mode and MDCS).  And truthfully, you don't want to be useing full MATLAB licenses to run on the cluster.  It's more economical to run MDCS than full MATLAB on the cluster.
> >
> > Tell me if this answers your questions.
> >
> > Raymond
> >
> > "Sig Du" <dusigh@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h9s1km$5vh$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > > Hi Raymond,
> > >
> > > Another question I would like to ask: if I don't have MDCS, but can make the PCT work, can I get my parallel computation matlab job run on cluster with Torque? Since you said MDCS allows me to submit the job, but Torque can do this job too.  I guess Torque can be a substitute for MDCS, right?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Sig

parallel for loops without parallel computing toolbox
Is this possible? On 11-03-07 10:12 AM, Nathan Jensen wrote: > Is this possible? That depends on what you mean by "parallel for loops". Matlab has a published external interface. That interface could be used to call out to arbitrary routines that might _somehow_ do computations in parallel, such as by using OpenMP or POSIX Threads or using an operating-system-specific method. Or you could start multiple Matlab instances and have them communicate with each other somehow, such as via shared memory or TCP; there are a couple of Mathworks File Exchange (FEX) contributions for such purposes. You could potentially use Jacket Computing's GPU computing products. However, PARFOR is only enabled if you have the Parallel Processing Toolbox (or perhaps the Distributed Computing Toolbox.) ...

Recent soft computing papers and MATLAB Toolboxes
Dear Colleagues, I would like to call your kind attention to the updated website of the Soft Computing Research Group at the University of Veszprem (Hungary) http://www.fmt.vein.hu/softcomp/ You can download MATLAB Toolboxes: - Fuzzy Clustering MATLAB Toolbox - Genetic Programming MATLAB Toolbox - Interactive Evolutionary Strategy (EASy) MATLAB Toolbox - Constrained Fuzzy Model Identification for the FMID Toolbox independent MATLAB programs related to: - Data mining * Fuzzy clustering based time-series segmentation * Supervised Fuzzy Clustering for the Identification of Fuzzy Classifiers * Fuzzy Modeling with Multidimensional Membership Functions: Grey-Box Identification and Control Design * Compact TS-Fuzzy Models through Clustering and OLS plus FIS Model Reduction * Inconsistency Analysis of Labeled Data * Star plots - MATLAB files for Graphical Representation of trace elements of clinkers - Process control and monitoring * Feedback Linearizing Control Using Hybrid Neural Networks Identified by Sensitivity Approach * Incorporating Prior Knowledge in Cubic Spline Approximation - Application to the Identification of Reaction Kinetic Models * Identification and Control of Nonlinear Systems Using Fuzzy Hammerstein Models - A Simple Fuzzy Classifier based on manuscripts in PDF about - fuzzy model based process control and monitoring - fuzzy clustering and classification - incorpor...

Recent soft computing papers and MATLAB Toolboxes
Dear Colleagues, I would like to call your kind attention to the updated website of the Soft Computing Research Group at the University of Veszprem (Hungary) http://www.fmt.vein.hu/softcomp/ You can download MATLAB Toolboxes: - Fuzzy Clustering MATLAB Toolbox - Genetic Programming MATLAB Toolbox - Interactive Evolutionary Strategy (EASy) MATLAB Toolbox - Constrained Fuzzy Model Identification for the FMID Toolbox independent MATLAB programs related to: - Data mining * Fuzzy clustering based time-series segmentation * Supervised Fuzzy Clustering for the Identification of Fuzzy Classifiers * Fuzzy Modeling with Multidimensional Membership Functions: Grey-Box Identification and Control Design * Compact TS-Fuzzy Models through Clustering and OLS plus FIS Model Reduction * Inconsistency Analysis of Labeled Data * Star plots - MATLAB files for Graphical Representation of trace elements of clinkers - Process control and monitoring * Feedback Linearizing Control Using Hybrid Neural Networks Identified by Sensitivity Approach * Incorporating Prior Knowledge in Cubic Spline Approximation - Application to the Identification of Reaction Kinetic Models * Identification and Control of Nonlinear Systems Using Fuzzy Hammerstein Models - A Simple Fuzzy Classifier based on manuscripts in PDF about - fuzzy model based process control and monitoring - fuzzy clustering and classification - incorporation of a priori knowledge in the identif...

Parallel Computing Toolbox and Hyperthreading
I recently purchased a quad-core i7. With hyperthreading enabled my OS (Ubuntu 10.10) recognizes 8 cores. However when I try to open a matlabpool session using more than 4 clients I get an error saying I am trying to create more sessions than I have cores. Is it possible to enable matlab to use the virtual cores that are created via hyperthreading? "Stuart Layton" <neurostu@yahoo.com> writes: > I recently purchased a quad-core i7. With hyperthreading enabled my OS > (Ubuntu 10.10) recognizes 8 cores. However when I try to open a > matlabpool session using more than 4 clients I get an error saying I > am trying to create more sessions than I have cores. > > Is it possible to enable matlab to use the virtual cores that are > created via hyperthreading? Whether or not you get any additional speed using the additional virtual cores depends very much on your algorithm. To set up the local scheduler to allow you to use 8 local workers, simply open the "Configurations Manager" via the "Parallel" menu. Double-click the "local" entry, and set the "ClusterSize" to 8. Cheers, Edric. Edric M Ellis <eellis@mathworks.com> wrote in message <ytwvd0lz2vy.fsf@uk-eellis-deb5-64.dhcp.mathworks.com>... > "Stuart Layton" <neurostu@yahoo.com> writes: > > > I recently purchased a quad-core i7. With hyperthreading enabled my OS > > (Ubuntu 10.10) recognizes 8 cores. Howe...

Parallel computing toolbox #3
Hi, I am using wring some codes to run my program in parallel using the matlab parallel toolbox. My program is all based on command line and no GUI is provided. So I am wondering if I can use command line to - detect how many cpus can be set to be a worker - set up the local workers, - and any other commands that dealing with this parallel toolbox Thanks very much. "George " <guanjihou@gmail.com> writes: > I am using wring some codes to run my program in parallel using the matlab > parallel toolbox. My program is all based on command line and no GUI is > provided. So I am wondering if I can use command line to - detect how many cpus > can be set to be a worker > - set up the local workers, > - and any other commands that dealing with this parallel toolbox The local scheduler automatically detects how many cores your machine has, providing you do not modify the local profile (you can specify an explicit number which overrides the automatic value). So, for example, if you issue the command matlabpool open local that will start as many workers as you have cores on your machine. The local scheduler keeps track of how many workers are running, and will not exceed the number of cores on your machine. Cheers, Edric. Edric M Ellis <eellis@mathworks.com> wrote in message <ytwvcmxoqpg.fsf@uk-eellis0l.dhcp.mathworks.com>... > "George " <guanjihou@gmail.com> writes: > > > I am using wring some ...

Parallel Computing Toolbox and FFT
Hello All, I have just started using the Parallel Computing Toolbox and I am a bit puzzled about some of the results that I am seeing. I have an 8 core Intel Xeon PC with 16GB of RAM and I'm using MATLAB R2010b. I thought that by using the Parallel Computing Toolbox I could speed up my fft computations. However I'm seeing the opposite effect. For example here is a snippet of code that I've been working on. As you can see the parallel version takes a lot longer than just performing a normal fft. Any suggestions to what I'm doing wrong or what I don't understand about this computation. Thanks tic sched = findResource('scheduler', 'type', 'local') j = createJob(sched) createTask(j, @fft, 1, {X(1,:)}) submit(j); waitForState(j) results = fftshift(getAllOutputArguments(j)) test = results{1}; plot(abs(test)) destroy(j); toc tic;output = fft(X(1,:));toc Elapsed time is 3.292587 seconds. Elapsed time is 0.001755 seconds. size(X(1,:)) ans = 1 15000 "Shannon " <shannon.fitzpatrick@drdc-rddc.gc.ca> writes: > I have just started using the Parallel Computing Toolbox and I am a > bit puzzled about some of the results that I am seeing. I have an 8 > core Intel Xeon PC with 16GB of RAM and I'm using MATLAB R2010b. I > thought that by using the Parallel Computing Toolbox I could speed up > my fft computations. However I'm seeing the opposite effect. For > example here is a snippe...

My parallel toolbox does not have GPU computing
Hello My Matlab version is R2010a 64bit Linux. I can see that my Matlab comes with parallel toolbox. However, in that toolbox, I can not find GPU computing subsection. Matlab therefore gives error when I call "gpuArray". I wonder why is that, is that because my Matlab Version is old, or do I have to purchase a separate gpu toolbox? "Peng " <pengguan1983@gmail.com> wrote in message news:j601v9$28v$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > Hello > > My Matlab version is R2010a 64bit Linux. I can see that my Matlab comes > with parallel toolbox. However, in that toolbox, I can not find GPU > computing subsection. Matlab therefore gives error when I call "gpuArray". > I wonder why is that, is that because my Matlab Version is old, or do I > have to purchase a separate gpu toolbox? The Release Notes for Parallel Computing Toolbox indicate GPU capabilities were introduced in release R2010b, which is newer than the release R2010a version that you're using. http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/distcomp/rn/bsloyak-1.html -- Steve Lord slord@mathworks.com To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on http://www.mathworks.com Peng, you don't need to upgrade your MATLAB version. Just use Jacket, http://accelereyes.com You'll be better off with this approach for these reasons: http://accelereyes.com/compare Thank you very much, that seems to be a very useful thing! "John Melonakos" ...

fmincon and the parallel computing toolbox
i've successfully used fmincon using all the cores on a single processor (using matlabpool local), but am having issues using it on a cluster (using the job submission function). i am very certain that fmincon is not taking advantage of the cluster when computing the gradients, because the runtime to perform 4 iterations (~180 fevals) took as long as if a single core was operating. anyone successfully use fmincon on a cluster? any help would be much appreciated. thanks. -jason "Jason " <jbazil@purdue.edu> writes: > i've successfully used fmincon using all the cores on a single processor > (using matlabpool local), but am having issues using it on a cluster (using > the job submission function). i am very certain that fmincon is not taking > advantage of the cluster when computing the gradients, because the runtime to > perform 4 iterations (~180 fevals) took as long as if a single core was > operating. anyone successfully use fmincon on a cluster? any help would be > much appreciated. thanks. Are you submitting a matlabpool job? I must confess that I only tested this using the local scheduler, but this got the speedup I expected: %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% % Adapted from one of the fmincon demos... function j = fminconOnCluster( sched ) j = sched.createMatlabPoolJob(); j.createTask( @iFcn, 1, {} ); j.submit(); end function time_fmincon_parallel = iFcn() startPoint = [1...

Parallel Computing Toolbox for Academic License
Dear MATLAB experts, currently, I use the academic version of MATLAB and I would like to try out the Parallel Computing Toolbox. Is there any way to acquire this toolbox for my academic MATLAB version? Kind Regards, Dima "Dimitri " <dimitrn@g.clemson.edu> wrote in message news:jiqmsn$bcn$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > Dear MATLAB experts, > > currently, I use the academic version of MATLAB and I would like to try > out the Parallel Computing Toolbox. Is there any way to acquire this > toolbox for my academic MATLAB version? If you're using the Student Version of MATLAB, Parallel Computing Toolbox is available as an add-on product. http://www.mathworks.com/academia/student_version/companion.html Note that MATLAB Distributed Computing Server is NOT available as an add-on product, so I don't believe you will be able to connect multiple machines to create a cluster using Student Version. You should be able to use a local cluster, though. If you're using the Professional Version of MATLAB using Clemson University's license, you will need to check with the IT staff that are responsible for maintaining that license to determine if Parallel Computing Toolbox is included in the license or to discuss setting up a trial version of the toolbox if it is not. -- Steve Lord slord@mathworks.com To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on http://www.mathworks.com ...

Parallel computing toolbox setup question
I have a quad core computer; and I use the parallel computing toolbox. I modify the default 'local' setting; and set different number for the "worker" number in the parallel computing setting, for example 2,4,8.. And also set the minimum and maximum worker to work for the task. After the setting, I did the validation to make sure everything is ok. However, no matter what I set, the AVERAGE cpu usage by MATLAB is exactly 25% of total CPU usage; and None of the cores run at 100% (All are around 10%-30%). I am using MATLAB to run optimization problem, so I really want my quad core computer using all its power to do the computing. Please help ...

Is the parallel computing toolbox the solution to this problem?
Hi, I am designing a feedback control loop as part of a project. The MATLAB program reads data through the analog input of a DAC (NI USB 6009), and when there is enough data (say N), it starts to process the data to get a control output and send it through the digital output of the DAC. The reading should be kept going while processing the control signal; and the control signal calculation is refreshed when every time when N/3 data comes in (like a moving window of size N, averaging the old data with the new ones) My problem is how to perform these in parallel? This doesn't need to be in real time, but needs to be fairly quick, the delay still needs to be in orders of seconds. I am not sure if parallel computing toolbox is the solution or there are better (simpler) ways. I am new to Matlab, so please give me some advice on this ^^ thank u all. ...

Parallel computing toolbox running problem
Dear all, I am currently using parallel computing for optimization. I use "matlabpool open 8" command; and use Multistart function for the optimization. In the Multistart function it has been set to be "UseParallel" is "always". Problem is that I see 9 MATLAB image name in Window task manager. Only one of them use 25% of my CPU resource (I have a quad core computer; 25% is equal to one core is fully operating) . All others are 0% CPU usage. I really don't understand the situation. In term of memory usage, the one using 25% of CPU power use 210M bytes. All the others uses 109M bytes. In my computer, open a new MATLAB window but doing nothing is around 109M bytes. What that means?? Please help. I need the parallel computing power. Thanks ...

question on faster run-time with Parallel Computing toolbox
Good day all, I currently have an optimization algorithm implemented in Matlab. The time to arrive at a solution for this algorithm varies. There is a speed variation since success of ending the optimization relies on randomly selecting a set of data which is hopefully reliable enough for a solution. So for example, my algorithm can end in little as 1 iterations or a maximum of 200 iterations ( i.e. ,a value which I set). I have seen Matlab's Parallel computing toolbox but not sure if would apply to my situation. I would like to know if it is possible to somehow run my algorithm in "parallel" jobs, such that, I can run the script multiple times and end the overall algorithm with the job that terminates first ? Is anything like this or similarly possible with the parallel toolbox? thanks any suggestions, Aiden "Aidy" wrote in message <j7i8jp$1ai$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Good day all, > > I currently have an optimization algorithm implemented in Matlab. The time to arrive at a solution for this algorithm varies. > > There is a speed variation since success of ending the optimization relies on randomly selecting a set of data which is hopefully reliable enough for a solution. So for example, my algorithm can end in little as 1 iterations or a maximum of 200 iterations ( i.e. ,a value which I set). > > I have seen Matlab's Parallel computing toolbox but not sure if would apply to my situati...

People tracking example in computer vision toolbox in matlab
Hey,, I am new into the area of image processing and matlab Can any one help me either by explainging or referencing some papers show how the People tracking example in computer vision toolbox in matlab ... I am also interesting if I attached different markers to different people how can I use thses markers to track people by labeling people in the video according to their markers ...

parallel computing
Hello Everyone, I just purchased the parallel computing toolbox. I have 2 general questions on the 'spmd' function. Is running looping iterations on spmd faster than normal for loops ? Is spmd faster on quad core (4 cores) vs a dual core(2 cores) , again in the case of running looping iterations ? regards,Kate "Kate " <chino_tones@hotmail.com> wrote in message <j7tsjk$5r3$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hello Everyone, > > I just purchased the parallel computing toolbox. I have 2 general questions on the 'spmd' function. > > Is running looping iterations on spmd faster than normal for loops ? ========= The only chance it would be is if you distribute the loop, using for...drange. > Is spmd faster on quad core (4 cores) vs a dual core(2 cores) , again in the case of running looping iterations ? ============= You'll never know until you try. In my experience, It depends too much on what's being parallelized and the specifics of your architecture. ...

Parallel Computing Toolbox + Torque: Multi-core job submissions?
Hi all, I have a working setup of Matlab 2008a (alt. or 2009b) running PCT with the ability to submit jobs to 8 machines on a Linux cluster. I can submit jobs using either the Torque or PBS Pro interfaces. My code is embarrassingly parallel (matlabpool followed by parfor). When submitting jobs 'locally', I can of course access up to 8 threads on the head machine. However, I would like to submit to the cluster and use multiple cores on the clients. However, when I submit jobs to multiple 'labs', I can submit to up to 8 labs, and then the service only runs on a single core on each machine. Since my code itself doesn't take advantage of multiple cores, I need the PCT to distribute each job to its own core. Ideally, I would submit to 4-8 machines, and about 4 cores each, for a total of 16-32 jobs in parallel. Is there a way to do this via the PCT? I'd like to avoid using the Distributed Computing Server because it's a pain to set up with the job submission system (torque/qsub). To answer my own question, there is a solution here: http://www.mathworks.com.au/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/268675 ResourceTemplate can be set appropriately in the torque PCT configuration. "Eugene Brevdo" <ebrevdo.remove@this.alum.rpi.edu> wrote in message <hk6toc$rl6$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi all, > I have a working setup of Matlab 2008a (alt. or 2009b) running PCT with the ability to submit jobs to 8 machines on a Linux c...

Call For Papers: Soft Computing for Bioinformatics (SOFT COMPUTING Journal
=20 SOFT COMPUTING Journal - SPRINGER =20 Special Issue on =20 Soft Computing for Bioinformatics =20 CALL FOR PAPERS =20 The past few years have witnessed phenomenal growth of=20 bioinformatics, an exciting field devoted to the interpretation and=20 analysis of biological data using computational techniques. Among=20 the large number of computational techniques used, soft computing,=20 which incorporates=20 =20 * neural networks,=20 * evolutionary computation,=20 * fuzzy systems, and=20 * chaos,=20 =20 stands out because of its demonstrated strength in handling=20 imprecise information and providing novel solutions to hard=20 problems.=20 =20 This special issue aims at not only showcasing innovative=20 applications of soft computing techniques to bioinformatics, but=20 also clarifying outstanding issues for future progress.=20 =20 Biological areas of interest include but are not limited to the=20 following:=20 =20 * protein structure and function,=20 * genomics,=20 * proteomics,=20 * molecular sequence analysis,=20 * evolution and phylogenetics,=20 * molecular interactions and structure,=20 * gene expression,=20 * metabolic pathways,=20 * regulatory networks,=20 * developmental control and systems biology. =20 =20 Papers should be submitted in PDF format via email to any of the=20 following guest editors by 30 March 2004: =20 * David Corne (D.W.Corne@exeter.ac....

Parallel Computing Toolbox se of resources in a multi-core, multi-GPU system
I have a x86-64 system w/ 12 Cores and 8 GPU cards. Supposing I have the parallel toolbox, I am allowed to use up to 12 workers. From what I understand, the following scenario would work (Please correct me if I'm wrong): assign N workers to N GPU cards and (12-N) workers to (12-N) cores. Now, are we allowed to assign multiple cores to a single worker, and have that worker multi thread between cores? For example, use 5 workers: 4 workers to 4 GPU cards, and 1 Worker for 6 cores? I would appreciate any help. ...

Can't submit simple task to cluster using new Distributed Computing Toolbox (R2010b)
I got a problem migrating from MATLAB/Distributed Computing Server R2008a to R2010b (I am using MATLAB on windows client with a linux cluster, running PBS scheduler; I am using submit function from "MATLAB\R2010b\toolbox\distcomp\examples\integration\pbs\nonshared") I'm trying to submit two simple tasks to run on cluster: createTask(j, @sin, 1, { 1 }) createTask(j, @(x)x+1, 1, { 1 }) I got the result from the 1st task, but no result from the 2nd one: getAllOutputArguments(job1) ans = [0.84147] [] I tried to check the log files on cluster. Here is the Warning from 2nd tasks' log file: (...) About to get evaluation data Warning: Could not find appropriate function on path loading function handle D:\work\Cluster\runatcluster.m>@(x)x+1 > In distcomp.fileserializer.getFields>iLoadMat at 92 In distcomp.fileserializer.getFields at 70 In distcomp.abstracttask.pGetEvaluationData at 13 In distcomp/private/dctEvaluateTask>iEvaluateTask/nEvaluateTask at 196 In distcomp/private/dctEvaluateTask>iEvaluateTask at 136 In distcomp/private/dctEvaluateTask at 60 In distcomp_evaluate_filetask>iDoTask at 97 In distcomp_evaluate_filetask at 39 Begin task function End task function (...) It seems to look my anonymous function @(x)x+1 in my local file. ("D:\work\Cluster\runatcluster.m" is a file, I am running createTask from. This is file on my local machine) Please help! What's the difference between @sin and @(x)x+1? I had...

computer vision toolbox
hi can anyone tell me that in which version of matlab computer vision system toolbox presents? does it present in matalb 7.0? "joveria" wrote in message <ispn40$j14$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > hi > can anyone tell me that in which version of matlab computer vision system toolbox presents? does it present in matalb 7.0? in which matlab version, computer vision system toolbox is present? "joveria" wrote in message <ispttk$5fh$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > "joveria" wrote in message <ispn40$j14$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > > hi > > can anyone tell me that in which version of matlab computer vision system toolbox presents? does it present in matalb 7.0? > > > in which matlab version, computer vision system toolbox is present? Hi Joviera, The Computer Vision System Toolbox was released in R2011a. Wayne "Wayne King" <wmkingty@gmail.com> wrote in message <isq5ms$nf4$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > "joveria" wrote in message <ispttk$5fh$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > > "joveria" wrote in message <ispn40$j14$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > > > hi > > > can anyone tell me that in which version of matlab computer vision system toolbox presents? does it present in matalb 7.0? > > > > > > in which matlab version, computer vision system toolbox is present? > > Hi Joviera, The Co...

matlab for parallel computing
Is any body doing parallel computing with matlab here? ...

parallel computing using Cell Computing Model
Hi, i've written an open source C++ framework for Cell Computing. Cell Computing is alike grid computing, but is leant on the biologic. If you are interested please visit http://www.xatlanits.ch. Unfortunately not all documents are available in english yet. All ideas and improvments are welcome :-) -- ...

parallel computing on a six-core local computer
Hi, I just bought a six-core desktop (12 Threads) and discovered that the maximum worker allowed by the parallel computing toolbox is eight workers. This is really disappointing, and I am just wondering if there is anyway to fully utilize the 12 processes and have 12 workers on one local machine. I browsed the help guide for the Distributed Computing Server toolbox and it seems it only works when you'd like to create workers on remote computers. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! richard "Richard Liu" <richardkailiu@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hrhupd$2v3$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi, I just bought a six-core desktop (12 Threads) and discovered that the > maximum worker allowed by the parallel computing toolbox is eight workers. I believe that is the correct behavior, assuming you have just Parallel Computing Toolbox. To use more than 8 local workers, or to use workers across multiple machines, you will need MATLAB Distributed Computing Server as well. > This is really disappointing, and I am just wondering if there is anyway > to fully utilize the 12 processes and have 12 workers on one local > machine. I browsed the help guide for the Distributed Computing Server > toolbox and it seems it only works when you'd like to create workers on > remote computers. That is not the case. Could you post the URL of the documentation page that gave you that impression, so that our d...

[9fans] parallel/distributed computation
Hi all, As I'm working in a geophysics lab, one of my point of interests regarding plan9 would be heavy scientific computation, especially parallel computing. So, first is there any fortran compiler on plan9? Second, is there any support for parallel computing, like mpi (even libs for that in C would be something)? Regards, Mathieu. -- GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net: KeyID: | Fingerprint: 683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3 -- On 10/17/07, lejatorn@gmail.com <lejatorn@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > As I'm working in a geophysics lab, one of my point of interests > regarding plan9 would be heavy scientific computation, especially > parallel computing. > > So, first is there any fortran compiler on plan9? Second, is there any > support for parallel computing, like mpi (even libs for that in C would > be something)? You have two choices. 1) write it from scratch 2) port gcc and then all of gnubin -- and then all of the various parallel computing software if you want industrial strength versions of this type of thing, you won't do (1) better than the scads of people doing it now (well, your code will sure look better than openmpi.org, but it won't do mpi better). So you might want to start with the gcc port. Not because we want gcc, mind, but because we need gcc -- because there are way too many bits that have to be done, and not enough people to do them. ron ...

Web resources about - parallel computing toolbox without distributive computing toolbox - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Distributive property - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In abstract algebra and logic , distributivity is a property of binary operations that generalizes the distributive law from elementary algebra ...

The distributive consequences of automation
Authoritative weekly newspaper focusing on international politics and business news and opinion.

The Distributive Implications Of The Sharing Economy
... name it). People talk about the social and strategic and technological impacts, but here I want to talk about the distributive impacts. The ...

Whiskey*Tango*Foxtrot – Beyond Indoctrination: Fabian Socialists In The School System “Distributive Property”?…
Staggering to bear witness. What the heck is the “Distributive Property” of math? Anyone? (From Neal Boortz via Weasel Zippers) This really has ...

Faculty discuss changes to distributive requirements, grade inflation, class times
Potential changes to distributive requirements, class meeting times, grade inflation and upperclassmen advising were discussed at yesterday’s ...

Fennell Presents The Distributive Deficit In Law And Economics Today At Columbia
Lee Anne Fennell (Chicago) presents The Distributive Deficit in Law and Economics, 100 Minn. L. Rev. ___ (2016) (with Richard H. McAdams (Chicago), ...

Multimedia Information Distributive &Interactive System
Software of Multimedia Information Distributive and Interactive System which is developed by Tendzone.MIDIS distributed information...

Distributive justice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations . Please improve this article by introducing more precise citations. Distributive ...

Occupy Wall Street, Distributive Justice, and Tax Scholarship
Patrick Crawford (Crawford Tax Law Group, Los Angeles), Occupy Wall Street, Distributive Justice, and Tax Scholarship: An Ideology Critique of ...