Physical memory built up

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I found that the 'dos'command for Matlab uses physical memory, which
is not released after that.

Her is a simple test :
for ii=1:100,dos('dir'),end

This command results in a drop in the physical memory of 2 Meg (on
Win 98 or 2K)!

This is terrible when you make repetitive call to this function !

Is there a way to free this memory ?
0
Reply sebbah (3) 6/29/2004 7:56:52 PM

See related articles to this posting

Patrick wrote:

> I found that the 'dos'command for Matlab uses physical memory, which
> is not released after that.
>
> Her is a simple test :
> for ii=1:100,dos('dir'),end
>
> This command results in a drop in the physical memory of 2 Meg (on
> Win 98 or 2K)!
>
> This is terrible when you make repetitive call to this function !
>
> Is there a way to free this memory ?

I really hope that this command does not take away your physical memory ;-)

My explanation of this behaviour: Matlab allocates some temporary memory
to execute the function. After the function has finished the allocated
memory is freed but not returned to the operating system (this is not
supported by Windows). So you observe a drop in available free memory.
But this is nothin to worry about.

-Herbert
0
Reply herbert_DOT_ramoser (1149) 6/30/2004 5:54:32 AM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

max memory,logical memory,physical memory
please provide me ith the differnce between max memory,logical memory and physical memory along with with their usages.... am in urgent need kindly reply also what is the relationship between max memory and shared memory kernal parameter which we set while ibuilding servers kernel.shmmax? -- Posted using the http://www.dbforumz.com interface, at author's request Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards Topic URL: http://www.dbforumz.com/Sybase-max-memory-logical-memory-physical-memory-ftopict242348.html Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. ...

Get Win32 Total Physical Memory & Available Physical Memory stats
Hello. I've checked CPAN and have searched the net as well and have not been able to find a Perl script or module that will get me the Total Physical Memory and Available Physical Memory stats for a remote system, much less an NT utility. The one utility I found, SYSTEMINFO.EXE can't be used to get info on an NT4 system and I have plenty of them. I've found some scripts that provide task mgr types of info but that's too much. Any ideas? Thanks, Karim "Karim Wall" <mirak63@carolina.rr.com> wrote in news:UNqdncAz8fvrY-PcRVn-sA@giganews.com: > Hell...

vitrual memory to physical memory
How would you go about converting a virtual memory to a physical address. I'm doing a device driver and our company has developed a Common Driver Design (CDD). One of the requirements is to convert the user's virtual address of their buffers to a physical address. The driver then uses that address to perform DMA operations on a PCI devices. We have devloped this CDD for Windows and Linux with great success. I now need to do it on a Solaris 10 OS. Any ideas? John On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:13:49 -0700, john <jvasquez@getntds.spam.com> wrote: >How would you go about converting...

memory mapped IO: device registers mapped to virtual memory or physical memory?
Hi - I know memory mapped IO is about mapping device/controller registers to memory space in order to reduce the number of processor instructions (and simplify device driver writing) . My question is: are device registers mapped to virtual memory or physical memory? I suspect the former, and I have looked up a number of texts but everyone just seems to skirt about the issue. Thanks, - Olumide Olumide wrote: > Hi - > > I know memory mapped IO is about mapping device/controller registers to > memory space in order to reduce the number of processor instructions > (and simplif...

physical memory vs. real memory
Hi, in sam (or as well in top) I can see two different parameters, one is called physical memory and the other one is real memory. So far I used these terms equally. I still assume that physical memory denotes to the hardware mem chips I put in the server, but was is real memory? Any idea? Thanks, Jochen Hi The "memory management whitepaper". should give you some information Once it was in /usr/share/doc/mem_mgt.txt; don't know whether this exists in actual versions (And I do not pretend, that I understood it completely ;-) ). As far as I remember real memory is basical...

Out of Memory: how do I fake swap as physical memory?
I have 500M memory to use. One script requires 650M physical memory. I wonder if it is possible to fake some swap/diskspace as physical memory. Also, once the script is finished, is it possible to clear swap without rebooting? After the script was temitaed, I have a lot of free memory, but FreeBSD keeps using Swap instead of memory which will slow the server. nntp <nntp@alexa.com> wrote: > I have 500M memory to use. One script requires 650M physical memory. I > wonder if it is possible to fake some swap/diskspace as physical memory. That's physically impossible...

Lock shared memory segment in physical memory
Hi, I have this problem: 2 modules - 1 kernel device driver and 1 user-mode service share data via buffer in shared memory. Basically, the device driver is (the only) writer and the user-mode service is (the only) reader. This scenario is supported in Windows: see "Shared Memory Object Method" section in http://support.Microsoft.com/kb/191840 . However, IRQL level of the device driver code (where it puts data into the buffer in shared memory) cannot be guaranteed to allow paging operations. I would like to lock the shared memory segment in physical memory. But how t...

continuous physical memory at non-pageable memory
Hi I have a small problem. I want to allocate a buffer, let say 2KB (it is always smaller that a page is) on non-pageable memory area. Does this 2KB buffer will be always continuous in physical memory ? I guess yes since this buffer is smaller than a page, so it won't be fragmented. But I'm not really sure.. it is only a hypothesis... Can anybody confirm or deny if my assumptions are correct ? Thanks in advance Michal > page is) on non-pageable memory area. Does this 2KB buffer will be > always continuous in physical memory ? I guess yes since this buffer >...

shared memory segments
We have an application ( running under control of CICS) running under AIX 4.3.2 . Parameters can be set which specify amount of memory allocated for different usages. I think that the memory is shared memory. The application is also running oracle, which uses shared memory also. How can I be sure that changing the size of memory used for 1 of these usages doesn't overlap memory used for another usage? Specifically, three of the usages are for a Region Pool, a Task Private Pool and a Task Shared Pool .. The documentation for setting the size of the Task Private Pool says: "When increa...

how to get physical memory address from virtual memory address
Hi , I am using Linux 2.4.20 Kernel. I am runing an application which will malloc and give a virtual memory address. I need to get the physical memory address of that virtual memory address. Can any one help me in this ? Thanks in advance, -Hari Hari wrote: > I am using Linux 2.4.20 Kernel. I am runing an application which will > malloc and give a virtual memory address. I need to get the physical > memory address of that virtual memory address. Can any one help me in > this ? Hari, A piece of virtual memory (obtained from malloc(), from stack, or from data-segment) is not...

how to get physical memory address from virtual memory address
Hi , I am using Linux 2.4.20 Kernel. I am runing a application which will malloc and give a virtual memory address. I need to get the physical memory location of that. Can any one help me in this ? Thanks in advance, -Hari Hari wrote: > Hi , > > I am using Linux 2.4.20 Kernel. I am runing a application which will > malloc and give a virtual memory address. I need to get the physical > memory location of that. Can any one help me in this ? You have to do this in the kernel. Firstly, the page obviously has to be nailed down (unswappable). Otherwise it has ...

Does the addressable physical memory range depend on which slots are occupied by the memory?
Does the addressable physical memory range depend on which slots are occupied by the memory? Say, I have a 32-bit CPU and 128M RAM, and the motherboard has 4 slots for plugging the RAM in. My question is if the following statement is correct: No matter which of the 4 slots is occupied by the RAM, CPU can always address the physical address range from 0-128M. In other words, when CPU reads/writes data from/to the address 0x000000FF, it will always succeed, no matter which of the 4 slots is occupied by the RAM. Is this correct? Any help will be appreciated. Lighter schrieb: > Does the...

Physical Memory
I need to find how much physical memory an hpux system has. I'm familiar with Tru64 vmstat -p, but ux doesn't seem to have the -p option. Any advice appreciated. R.C. dmesg | grep Physical SJM Rainbow Chaser wrote: > I need to find how much physical memory an hpux system has. > > I'm familiar with Tru64 vmstat -p, but ux doesn't seem to have the -p > option. > > Any advice appreciated. > > R.C. dmesg | grep Physical SJM Thank you both. R.C. In article <427a0893$0$83086$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>, Rainbow Chaser wrot...

Physical Memory
I have a new db2 server and we are moving to V8. The box is running W2K and has 12 gig of memory. The operating system is only showing 4 gig of it and that is one thing but when I pulled up the configuration advisor from control center when it asked how much of the physical memory to use for DB2 it only showed me 2048 not even the 4 gig the os sees. I thought that Version 8 was past the 2 gig limit? I installed fix pack 5 but still dont' see any more memory. Am I missing something? Thanks Steven "Steven" <ragingpug@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:10890...

Physical memory
I have an embedded application that needs to directly access most of the physical memory of the system from a user process without the OS trying to manage it, swap it, protect it or otherwise get in the way. Ideally what I would get is an installation that restricts Linux to the use & manage only the lowest few MB of RAM or so, while the upper 500MB or so is left untouched or even unknown by the OS. My user process still needs to read and write to the upper region though, perhaps as a memory-mapped device? There is no HD in this system, just CF. Any swapfile will probably ...

Physical Memory
Hello, I need contiguous physical memory for a user-mode app. whats the best way to do this? thx MiSa How would a user mode application even know if the memory is phsically contiguous? Tell us what you need to do, and then we can come up with an appropriate answer. -- Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK) Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting Remove StopSpam from the email to reply "Michael Sachse" <Michael.Sachse@s2001.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote in message news:cvdkgi$m77$1@anderson.hrz.tu-chemnitz.de... > Hello, > > I need contiguous p...

Does the addressable physical memory range depend on which slots are occupied by the memory?
Does the addressable physical memory range depend on which slots are occupied by the memory? Say, I have a 32-bit CPU and 128M RAM, and the motherboard has 4 slots for plugging the RAM in. My question is if the following statement is correct: No matter which of the 4 slots is occupied by the RAM, CPU can always address the physical address range from 0-128M. In other words, when CPU reads/writes data from/to the address 0x000000FF, it will always succeed, no matter which of the 4 slots is occupied by the RAM. Is this correct? Any help will be appreciated. On 16/09/2006 13...

how to get physical memory address from virtual memory address #2
Hi , I am using Linux 2.4.20 Kernel. I am runing an application which will malloc and returns a virtual memory address. I need to get the physical memory address for that virtual memory address. How can I get that? Thanks in advance, -Hari Hari wrote: > Hi , >=20 > I am using Linux 2.4.20 Kernel. I am runing an application which will > malloc and returns a virtual memory address. I need to get the physical= > memory address for that virtual memory address. How can I get that? Get it for what purpose? As it is process virtual memory, the physical=20 addres...

I'm getting an error 50353 about locking memory pages into physical memory
I'm performing a task of activating a relay, taking data (voltages), evaluating data (simple less than greater than), deactivating the relay and then repeating.&nbsp;&nbsp;The setup is a flat sequence loop (with the four actions, relay on, take data and record, evaluate, relay off) inside of a for loop.&nbsp; I get to about 1350 iterations of the for loop and I get the following error: &nbsp; Error -50353 &nbsp; One or more memory pages in the specified logical buffer could not be locked into physical memory.&nbsp; The operation could not be completed as specified.&...

Re: I'm getting an error 50353 about locking memory pages into physical memory
Dear J Bowen, Can you share out the solution I mean the block diagram. I have encountered the 50353 occurred at DAQmx Read (Analog DBL 1 Chan 1 Samp). Does anyone can help me? The attached is as below: &nbsp; Digital Input.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/314186/1/Digital Input.vi Main3.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/314186/2/Main3.vi AnalogueInput1.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/314186/3/AnalogueInput1.vi Hi *LJ, I tried to take a look at your code, but I was unable to open all of the parts of your code because there were missing subVIs that y...

Re: I'm getting an error 50353 about locking memory pages into physical memory #2
I currently don't have that block diagram any more.&nbsp; But I can speak to what the problem was.&nbsp; I basically had a task that I repeated in a while loop (read data, evaluate, open or close valve).&nbsp; In that loop I create a new DAQmx task each time, and as a result I overloaded the computer with thousands of new tasks.&nbsp; The way I fixed the issue was to create the task outside of the loop and then use the Stop/Start DAQmx vis to control the execution of the task within the loop.&nbsp; That way I had one task that I started and stopped as opposed to continu...

Getting physical memory
Is it possible to know how much physical memory there is in a machine? Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory() returns the amount available to the JVM, not the amount in a machine. the dos command "mem" should do it call it via NJI "Chris" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:40c4df7a$1@news.mcleodusa.net... > Is it possible to know how much physical memory there is in a machine? > > Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory() returns the amount available to the JVM, > not the amount in a machine. > > "Liz" <Liz@nospam.com> wrote in m...

copy from physical memory
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C6BEDB.6856D838 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello everyone, =20 I have a problem. I would like to get information from (and to) a fix physical address in the computer. For this I have tried first to copy a variable to an other one (Temp to Temp2), but for some reason at the end I do not get the same value. Can anybody tell where I am doing it wrong? =20 Thanks for helping. =20 Oliver Szasz =20 dword Phys; word Temp=3D1234, Temp2=3D0; ...

Re: Physical Memory
Ok. the data from a lvds - camera are proccesd by an cpld. after this the data are transfered by a cypress pci-chip (CY7C09449PV-AC) into the host-memory. the problem in that case is, that the driver from cypress only provides 16k memory for the dma transfer, because the max. transfer for one time is 16k. i need 2 x 320 kb memory. my cpld is increasing the physical address after every dma-transfer and write it in a register of the pci-chip. after a finishing transfering a frame an user - mode app has to work with this frame/memory, so it is necessary to get access to this memor...