Physical memory built up

I found that the 'dos'command for Matlab uses physical memory, which
is not released after that.

Her is a simple test :
for ii=1:100,dos('dir'),end

This command results in a drop in the physical memory of 2 Meg (on
Win 98 or 2K)!

This is terrible when you make repetitive call to this function !

Is there a way to free this memory ?
0
sebbah (3)
6/29/2004 7:56:52 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 210405 articles. 11 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

Patrick wrote:

> I found that the 'dos'command for Matlab uses physical memory, which
> is not released after that.
>
> Her is a simple test :
> for ii=1:100,dos('dir'),end
>
> This command results in a drop in the physical memory of 2 Meg (on
> Win 98 or 2K)!
>
> This is terrible when you make repetitive call to this function !
>
> Is there a way to free this memory ?

I really hope that this command does not take away your physical memory ;-)

My explanation of this behaviour: Matlab allocates some temporary memory
to execute the function. After the function has finished the allocated
memory is freed but not returned to the operating system (this is not
supported by Windows). So you observe a drop in available free memory.
But this is nothin to worry about.

-Herbert