problems with labels, title in matlab 7.10.0 on mac 10.6.4

I have recently upgraded to matlab 7.10.0 on a macbook pro running 10.6.4
Simple commands to make labels and titles now give questionable looking results and behave in unexpected ways.
For instance,

xlabel('Longitude') requires an extra space after the 'e' or the 'e' will be truncated in half in the figure

xlabel('K_{\rho}') results in a very awkward looking greek rho. Using the Latex interpreter cleans things up but it used to look just fine before

To make things worse, the appearance of the text in the title or label depends on the type of figure i'm making. When making a very simple plot such as

load coast
plot(long,lat,'k')

the text in labels/titles looks fine using the latex interpreter. When  plotting surfaces using pcolor or surf, the text in title/labels becomes pixelated and very difficult to read

I have seen a number of strings discussing similar issues but have found no solution as of yet. changing set(0,'ScreenPixelsPerInch',72) to a larger value improves the results but still nowhere near professional looking. Any help appreciated
0
thomas

"thomas decloedt" <decloedt@hawaii.edu> wrote in message
> I have recently upgraded to matlab 7.10.0 on a macbook pro running 10.6.4
> Simple commands to make labels and titles now give questionable looking
> results and behave in unexpected ways. For instance,
> xlabel('Longitude') requires an extra space after the 'e' or the 'e' will
> be truncated in half in the figure
>
> xlabel('K_{\rho}') results in a very awkward looking greek rho. Using the
> Latex interpreter cleans things up but it used to look just fine before
>
> To make things worse, the appearance of the text in the title or label
> depends on the type of figure i'm making. When making a very simple plot
> such as
> load coast
> plot(long,lat,'k')
>
> the text in labels/titles looks fine using the latex interpreter. When
> plotting surfaces using pcolor or surf, the text in title/labels becomes
> pixelated and very difficult to read

Sounds like your graphics driver's OpenGL rendering functionality isn't
playing well with MATLAB.  Try updating the driver, or (if that's not
possible) use:

opengl neverselect

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com

0
Steven_Lord
9/22/2010 1:58:30 PM
Dear Steven,

i upgraded the OpenGL driver (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1083) but it made no difference.

'opengl neverselect' did not make a difference to the appearance of the text in either the title or the labels.

thank you for the suggestions

thomas
0
thomas

The problems with the text in labels is pretty much solved  by setting
the 'Renderer' property of the figure to 'painters'
e.g.:
figure('Renderer','painters')

this was recommended to me in response to a mathworks service request

Unfortunately it is now woefully slow to see the figure...a good minute for the figure to appear during which pretty much all of my machine's cpu is taken up :(

thomas
0
thomas
9/25/2010 2:08:04 AM
"thomas decloedt" wrote in message <i7jli4$e64$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hi,
>
> The problems with the text in labels is pretty much solved  by setting
> the 'Renderer' property of the figure to 'painters'
> e.g.:
> figure('Renderer','painters')
>
> this was recommended to me in response to a mathworks service request
>
> Unfortunately it is now woefully slow to see the figure...a good minute for the figure to appear during which pretty much all of my machine's cpu is taken up :(
>
> thomas

Thanks a lot! I am on a Mac (relatively recently switched from windows) and
this graphics problem persisted when annotating figures with TeX labels and
using a large number of points in the plots (both with lines and surfaces).

The problem of degraded labels also affected exporting of figures to pdf and png.
Changing the figure's renderer as advised solved the problem.