raised cosine distribution

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi everybody,

I currently have a program that enables the user to enter
coordinates and have a sphere drawn at those sets of
coordinates.  Is there any way that I can replace the
spheres that have a user-determined position with a raised
cosine distribution that will go in the same spot as the
spheres?

Thanks a lot!

Sarah
0
Reply sarahclarkson_123 (12) 8/8/2007 1:51:29 PM

See related articles to this posting

"Sarah Clarkson" <sarahclarkson_123@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
<f9chp1$l95$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hi everybody,
>
> I currently have a program that enables the user to enter
> coordinates and have a sphere drawn at those sets of
> coordinates.  Is there any way that I can replace the
> spheres that have a user-determined position with a raised
> cosine distribution that will go in the same spot as the
> spheres?

So you have some code that you wrote that
plots a sphere at some user driven location.
You now want it to plot something else, of
your own specification.

Is there any way to do it? Yes. Change your
code.

Whats the problem?

Good programming practice would have had
you look ahead when you wrote the code,
realizing that one day you might wish to
modify the code, realizing that modular code
makes these changes much easier. Then you
might only have had to swap in one simple
module. Modular code is good for many
other reasons, but this is a good example.

John
0
Reply woodchips (7941) 8/8/2007 2:36:49 PM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

advataga of Root Raised Cosine pulse shaping over Raised Cosine pulse shaping????
hi all I've done a MATLAB simulation project on 16 QAM with Raised Cosine an Root Raised Cosine pulse shaping... the doubt that i'm not able to digest is what are the additiona advantages offered by root raised cosine pulse shaping filter over raise cosine pulse shaping filter.. i heard from many people and even my guide says that root raised cosin filters are preferred to raised cosine filters for practica purposes...(Is it true really??) even theoretically both the filters are stated to be equivalent.... is it for any practical implementation reasons ?? if so what are they?? plea...

Cosine distribution
Hello all, A simple a fast question: How shot rays according cosine distribution? NOTE: Cosine distribution: more rays are shot near a normal direction Thanks CG friends. V�ctor from Spain. donV1T0 <nospam@fakemail.com> writes: > Hello all, > > A simple a fast question: > > How shot rays according cosine distribution? Simple fast answer: Nusselt analog. A bit more detail: Choose a 2D point (x,y) from a uniform random distribution over the unit disk, using either rejection or a transformation method. Project that point upward onto the unit sphere by pro...

Raised Cosine Filter in C
Hi, Can anyone please tell me how I can write the code for raised cosine filter in C.I will be really thankful for a prompt response. Thanks. On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 01:10:46 -0800, jawadakbar09 wrote: > Hi, > Can anyone please tell me how I can write the code for raised cosine > filter in C.I will be really thankful for a prompt response. > Thanks. Yes. ....still thankful? Il giorno sabato 5 gennaio 2013 10:10:46 UTC+1, jawada...@gmail.com ha scritto: > Hi, > > Can anyone please tell me how I can write the code for raised cosine filter in C.I will be r...

How to use the raised cosine filter?
I am a student in China. I have designed a communication system of baseband transmission requiring raised cosine filter. There are raised cosine transmit filter and received filter in matlab7.0, I use both of them. And I also have make a s-function for sample and judge after the filter. But when I alter the parameter :initial sample time ts=[]in s-function,the waves after filter will change greatly. I don't know why,I only want to alter the "ts" in s-function to see the interference between symbols,but why the waves after filter will change? I need some help&#12290; Thank you...

Root raised cosine problem
Hello all, I am designing a Square root cosine filter by sampling the standard impulse response h(t)= (4.R./pi*sqrt(T))[ cos((1+R)*pi*(t/T) + (T/4*R*t)*sin((1-R)*pi*(t/T))] ---------------------------------------------------------------------- (pi*sqrt(T))*(1-(4*R*t/T)^2) The problem is I get coefficients of the order of 10^3 . How should I scale these accordingly so that i could use them for a 1.15 simulation.?? Thanks and regards., Richard. Hello Richard, You can normalized the impusle response to have a peak value of one. Here is a link to a formula I posted a while ba...

Raised Cosine plot--URGENT
How to plot a raised cosine pulse in Matlab in frequency domain. Actually I need the frequency matrix and magnitude matrix separately for a given rollf etc.. The function rcosfir and rcosine were not of much help.. All suggestions welcome.. Thanks, ...

output of raised cosine filter
guys i have a trial question :( i have a bit stream , i upsample it and then used a rsied cosine filter and then send the output on channel upsampling means padding zeros b/w samples now is my bit stream if any different if i use the same filter for output but i dont upsample my signal how would the two outputs sent on the channel be different from each other, one is upsampled and filtered other is only filtered ...

Normal distribution from cosine signal
Hi, I want to generate normal distribution for X and Y 1. Xi=A*Cos(wt+theta) 2. Yi=A*Cos(wt+theta)+D where theta=0, pi/2, pi, 3pi/2 e.g X1=A*Cos(wt+0) D could have a normal distribution with (0,sigma^2). It is much like generating normal distribution for Rice but I want Xi with different phases. Any ideas ? Use randn: Yi=A*Cos(wt+theta)+sigma*randn(n,1) ; (it theta is nx1 vector) ------------------------------------ Maxim Vedenev, Matlab freelancer vedenev@ngs.ru http://simulations.narod.ru/ ...

Root raised cosine decimation
Hi, I have a root raised cosine in a receiver whose input is a 16x oversample signal. How do I do the decimation at the output, or how to find wit sample out of 16 to keep? Is there any site or book where I can find information about this. Thanks >Hi, > >I have a root raised cosine in a receiver whose input is a 16 oversampled >signal. How do I do the decimation at the output, or how to find with >sample out of 16 to keep? >Is there any site or book where I can find information about this. >Thanks > Hi, it's called "decimation phase". The topic to look ...

How to implement raised root cosine filter?
Hi, I have several questions when I try to implement raised root cosine filter. 1. I have read several books about digital communications, such as that of Bernard Sklar. They normally interprete the ISI effect in a simple one channel situation. If I want to use Matlab to simulate a communication system using I,Q modulation, such as QPSK, where should I put the RRC filter at? I only consider the simple I, Q channel seperately, not include the complex I,Q filtering. From what I understand, it seems that it should be between the following functions. In the modulation process: z = modm...

optimal BPSK receiver with Raised Cosine
Hi, I have a practical problem, which I want to discuss with you. I have a baseband signal, which is BPSK modulated with a pulse shape as : alternative polariy pulse for 1s and zeros for 0s. My transmitter employs a wave shaping filter (which is a RC filter). The receiver starts from a first an FIR low pass filter, then a matched filter (which is an FIR filter derived from MATLAB's multi-band filter with transition bands, to get the transmitted signal freq response). Then runs an early late gate timing recovery scheme, and then the top levels schemes like framing and FEC etc... The symbol ...

spectrum of raised cosine window function
I would like to compute the coefficients of a raised cosine window N bits long. The literature says I should use the code: float w[N]; for (int i=0;i<N;i+=1) w[i] = .5 - .5 *cos(i*2*Pi/(N-1)); Of particular note is the "N-1" inside the cos function call. When I take the FFT if this window I expected to see a "DC" term and a term a 1 and -1. However, I don't !. I see a DC and terms at +-1 but I also see terms +-2 and +-3, etc. This is, of course, due to spectral leakage because the raised cosine function is periodic with period (N-...

Amplitude scaling in Raised cosine filtering
Hi All, I have a question regarding filtering with Raised cosine(RC) pulse. Since the amplitude of the pulse is 1/T where T is the symbol time. This implies that filtering the modulated signal with raised cosine pulse will scale the amplitude of the resulted signal. Do we normalize the RC pulse amplitude before filtering or what is done in actual practice or work with scaled amplitude values ? If I say that filtering with root raised cosine(RRC) at transmitter and then having AGC at receiver will normalize the amplitude to unit value but then matched filtering with same RRC pulse...

matched filter(root raised cosine)
A 16qam signal is upsampled by 2 and shaped by root raised cosine. At the Rx it is matched-filtered with same rrcos filter and decimated by 2 to get the symbols. All looks ok. Symbols are recovered clean. However, the decimation leads to two phases i.e. depending on which samples you choose from the decimator output(even or odd), only one phase is the correct symbols. The question is: is there a way to choose even or odd correctly without eyeballing? or do we need some logic to work it out? Regards Kadhiem --------------------------------------- Posted through http...

QPSK: Upsampling and Raised Cosine Filter
Hi, I upsample my signal by N, so that I now have N-1 zeros between eac symbol, and I would like to "fill" in those (N-1) zeros with the symbol t effectively increas the number of symbols per sampling period from 1 to N. I would like to do this with a raised cosine filter, but I know that i would be inefficient to convolve the coefficients from the raised cosin filter with the zeros since it will just be zero anyway. Does anyone kno of a better way to take the upsampled signal and convolve it wit coefficients without actually doing the multiplications with the zeros? Thank you! ...

Square Root Raised Cosine Pulse
Hi guys! I have an M-File which models a unit-energy Raised Cosine Pulse; function y = rcpuls(a,t) tau = 1; % Set the symbol time t = t + 10^(-7); % This avoids dividing by zero tpi = pi/tau; atpi = tpi*a; at = 4*a^2/tau^2; y = sin(tpi*t).*cos(atpi*t)./(tpi*t.*(1-at*t.^2)); A typical example would be typing in the command window; >> rcpulse = rcpuls(0.3,[-6:0.01:6]); >> rcpulse = rcpulse/norm(rcpulse); This returns a 30% Raised Cosine Pulse. My problem is that I need a unit-energy Square Root Raised Cosine Pulse!! Does anyone know what I need to do to edi...

Raised Cosine filter output not what I expect
I'm working on a digital transmission system that requires a raised cosine filter on the transmitted data. Symbol rate is 1e6MHz, Sample rate is 6e6Mhz. Rolloff (Beta) is .5 Filter length is 6 bits (actually 6.1666 bits since I re-specify the taps to be 37 instead of 36 so I can get a peak out of the impulse response). Because this filter is used to decrease ISI, the coefficients are supposed to be 0 every 6 samples, except for the impulse sample - and my filter tools are generating exactly this (Quartus 6.0 FIR filter as well as ScopeFIR). I'm referencing a spec which cal...

Merge Block and raised cosine block
Dear friends, I need an help with these two type of blocks: 1)Can you specify me exactly which is the raised cosine block input?Is it a vector? The error in simulink is: "Fixed-point data types for this block must be signed and must have power-of-two slope and zero bias". 2)How is the use of the Merge block (Simulink)? I have to merge three different row vectors:the size of the first is 40, the second and the third are 80. In the function block parameter I have put as number of inputs 3, as number of input port offsets [0 40 120]. Moreover I enable " allow unequal port widths&...

raised cosine implementation with FIR filter
Hi, &nbsp; I am trying to implement a raised cosine pulse shaping filter with a digital FIR filter VI. But I cant figure out the relatoinship between the cutoff freq spec of the filter and the roll-off (alpha) of the raised cosine filter. Can anyone&nbsp;help me out? &nbsp; Thanks, Warrier&nbsp; ...

Root Raised Cosine Filter Help
I have a vector of random 1s and -1s to represent random BPSK data. The frequency of the data FD=3.84 MHz (3.84M pulses per second). The sampling frequency FS=8*FD=30.72 MHz. The total time this runs is for T=3ms. Making the total amount of pulses =FD*T=115,200. I wish to pass this through a root raised cosine filter (RRC). I wrote my own in Matlab, because I am unsure of how to use Matlab's version of it, but it is so slow that it will take more time to compile than there is time left in the universe. If anyone can be of any assistance I would appreciate. The function I am trying to ...

Half-Sine Vs Raised Cosine
What is the difference between a half-sine pulse shaping filter and a raised cosine pulse shaping filter? Are they just different names for the same thing? Thanks. "Greg" <gja@cc.usu.edu> wrote in message news:1110925789.826676.145580@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > What is the difference between a half-sine pulse shaping filter and a > raised cosine pulse shaping filter? Are they just different names for > the same thing? Probably yes. It depends on if you mean a half-sine pulse-shaping filter or a half-sine-pulse shaping filter. The former would probably...

How to generate a Raised Cosine Impulse Response
Hi, I am a novice. Could anybody tell me how to use MatLab to generate a raised cosine impulse response with 121 samples with roll-off factor equals 0.5? Thanks in advance. "Xu " <vento143@sohu.com> wrote in message <hd6612$f17$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi, I am a novice. Could anybody tell me how to use MatLab to generate a raised cosine impulse response with 121 samples with roll-off factor equals 0.5? > > Thanks in advance. Hi Xu, h = fdesign.pulseshaping(10,'Raised Cosine','Nsym,Beta',10,0.5); % just an example % 10 samples per symbol a...

Root Raised cosine filters and theoretical BER
I can get theoretical results to match my simulation for 4-ary QAM, with and without a root raised cosine filter. When I try 8-ary QAM, my simulation results with the root-raised cosine filter no longer match theory or the simulation results without the rrc filter. Any ideas as to why? My code is below. Change the value of M from 4 to 8 to see the problem Thanks for any help. clear all; close all % Number of symbols to simulate. nSym = 10000; %M-ary number M = 4; k = log2(M); EbNo = [0:13]; SNR_vec = EbNo + 10*log10(k); % % RRC parameters rolloff = .22; nRRCTaps = 96; upsampleFact = 8 ; ...

DVB-S2 and Raised Cosine Filter SIMULINK
Hello, I'm simulating DVB-S2 blocks' chain with SIMULINK Matlab. I'm using DVB-S2 demo already loaded in SIMULINK libraries, I want to add to it a Raised Cosine Filter in transmitting and in receiving, but I have high values of BER, around 0.49 with ANY Es/No values. What's Wrong? I'm using those values about Raised Cosine Filter parameters: Filter Type: Square Root Group Delay: 2 Roll-off factor: 0.35 Upsampling factor: 8 Please Let me know about this issue. Thank you so much, Emilio. "Emilio " <emildiior@gmail.com> wrote in message <i77...