Single-tasking mode and rate transition blocks

Hi,

I'm afraid I haven't understood what the manuals tried to tell me
about single-tasking mode.

Let me resume what I already know(?):

Single-tasking mode does not inhibit multi-rate systems, but it
results in a single thread if real-time code is generated. The sample
time has therefore to be adjusted to meet the most critical case.

OK, here's my question:

Do I have to use rate transition blocks for single-tasking models if
real-time code is generated for them? By default, warnings or errors
concerning illegal rate transitions are disabled in this mode.

Thanks,

LarsG
0
Nono4793 (10)
1/25/2005 10:10:35 AM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 17 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

Hi Lars,
there is no need for rate transition blocks in single tasking mode (neither
for
simulation nor for code generation).
Rate transition blocks are only needed in multitasking mode. Why this?
In short: the faster rate (on the task with higher priority) may interrupt
the slower rate (on the task with lower priority). The rate transition block
takes care, that the data are transferred deterministically.
In a single tasking environment, no rate can interrupt the other, they are
all executed one after the other, hence, this problems can't arise...

Titus

"LarsG" <nono@spam.de> wrote in message news:eef996b.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP...
> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid I haven't understood what the manuals tried to tell me
> about single-tasking mode.
>
> Let me resume what I already know(?):
>
> Single-tasking mode does not inhibit multi-rate systems, but it
> results in a single thread if real-time code is generated. The sample
> time has therefore to be adjusted to meet the most critical case.
>
> OK, here's my question:
>
> Do I have to use rate transition blocks for single-tasking models if
> real-time code is generated for them? By default, warnings or errors
> concerning illegal rate transitions are disabled in this mode.
>
> Thanks,
>
> LarsG

Thanks Titus for the quick and precise reply,

what I wondered about, too: Simulating single-tasking or
multi-tasking systems with Simulink is only mentioned briefly in the
documentation.

Is it correct that Simulink can't really simulate real-time
multitasking systems as no preemption of tasks occurs? So, a model
would always work fine in the siulation and timing conflicts (sample
rate too high...) can not be determined. And for simulation: does the
setting single-tasking/multitasking affect anything than the
execution order of the blocks?

Thanks,

LarsG

Titus Edelhofer wrote:

> Hi Lars,
> there is no need for rate transition blocks in single tasking mode
> (neither
> for
> simulation nor for code generation).
> Rate transition blocks are only needed in multitasking mode. Why
> this?
> In short: the faster rate (on the task with higher priority) may
> interrupt
> the slower rate (on the task with lower priority). The rate
> transition block
> takes care, that the data are transferred deterministically.
> In a single tasking environment, no rate can interrupt the other,
> they are
> all executed one after the other, hence, this problems can't
> arise...
>
> Titus
>
> "LarsG" <nono@spam.de> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm afraid I haven't understood what the manuals tried to tell
me
>> about single-tasking mode.
>>
>> Let me resume what I already know(?):
>>
>> Single-tasking mode does not inhibit multi-rate systems, but it
>> results in a single thread if real-time code is generated. The
> sample
>> time has therefore to be adjusted to meet the most critical
case.

>> OK, here's my question:
>>
>> Do I have to use rate transition blocks for single-tasking
models
> if
>> real-time code is generated for them? By default, warnings or
> errors
>> concerning illegal rate transitions are disabled in this mode.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> LarsG

0
Nono4793 (10)
1/25/2005 10:32:51 AM
Hi Lars,
yes and no ;-)
yes, no preeption of tasks occur, therefore Simulink does not simulate this.
But: since in multitasking mode you have to take care of the rate
transitions
you can be sure, your generated code will behave like your simulation.
Of course, timing conflicts can not be detected, because they depend on
the corresponding hardware (how should Simulink know, that this task takes
this time xy on this processor ABC?).

Titus

"LarsG" <nono@spam.de> wrote in message news:eef996b.1@webx.raydaftYaTP...
> Thanks Titus for the quick and precise reply,
>
> what I wondered about, too: Simulating single-tasking or
> multi-tasking systems with Simulink is only mentioned briefly in the
> documentation.
>
> Is it correct that Simulink can't really simulate real-time
> multitasking systems as no preemption of tasks occurs? So, a model
> would always work fine in the siulation and timing conflicts (sample
> rate too high...) can not be determined. And for simulation: does the
> setting single-tasking/multitasking affect anything than the
> execution order of the blocks?
>
> Thanks,
>
> LarsG
>
> Titus Edelhofer wrote:
> >

> > Hi Lars,
> > there is no need for rate transition blocks in single tasking mode
> > (neither
> > for
> > simulation nor for code generation).
> > Rate transition blocks are only needed in multitasking mode. Why
> > this?
> > In short: the faster rate (on the task with higher priority) may
> > interrupt
> > the slower rate (on the task with lower priority). The rate
> > transition block
> > takes care, that the data are transferred deterministically.
> > In a single tasking environment, no rate can interrupt the other,
> > they are
> > all executed one after the other, hence, this problems can't
> > arise...
> >
> > Titus
> >
> > "LarsG" <nono@spam.de> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm afraid I haven't understood what the manuals tried to tell
> me
> >> about single-tasking mode.
> >>
> >> Let me resume what I already know(?):
> >>
> >> Single-tasking mode does not inhibit multi-rate systems, but it
> >> results in a single thread if real-time code is generated. The
> > sample
> >> time has therefore to be adjusted to meet the most critical
> case.
> >>
> >> OK, here's my question:
> >>
> >> Do I have to use rate transition blocks for single-tasking
> models
> > if
> >> real-time code is generated for them? By default, warnings or
> > errors
> >> concerning illegal rate transitions are disabled in this mode.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> LarsG

matlab in single precision mode?
Hi NG Is there a way to let Matlab run in single precision mode entirely? I want to study finite precision effects in adaptive filtering. Changing every variable to single() is not really an option. thanks Alain No there isn't (as there isn't with C). You should just have to change the date type of the input (non-scalar) variables when the are created/initialized. Stuart "Alain Brenzikofer" <alain.brenzikofer@REMOVEALLCAPITALSanocsys.com> wrote in message news:43eafa8d$1_2@news.cybercity.ch... > Hi NG > > Is there a way to let Matlab run in single precis...

finding rate transition block
hi friends, is there any block with name rate transition block. if yes, in which library it is available. thanks in advance regards Madhu <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/0.htm> #25104;&#40857;15&#20301;&#22899;&#21451; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/1.htm> &#24072;&#29983;&#24651; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/2.htm> #23089;&#20048;&#22280;&#19982;&#40657;&#31038;&#20250;&#25581;&#31192 ; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/3.htm> #32769;&#33433;&#33993; &#29616;&#36523; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/4.htm> #28504;&#38271;&#27743;&#22899;&#20799; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/5.htm> #36229;&#22899;&#38394;&#25151;&#29031; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/6.htm> #36213;&#34183;&#26368;&#28608;&#29190; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/7.htm> #36234;&#21335; &#36229;&#32423;&#22899;&#22768; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/8.htm> #24352;&#38064;&#31532;&#19968;&#27425; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/9.htm> #31456;&#23376;&#24609;&#34987;&#38519;&#23475; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/10.htm> #33395;&#36935; &#20856;&#22411;&#24863;&#21463; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/11.htm> #20007;&#23613;&#22825;&#33391;&#34384;&#24453; <http://xdm001.googlepages.com/12.htm> #24352;&#22269...

Embedded Matlab Running Rate of a block
Is it possible to identify the rate in which an Embedded Matlab block is running instead of hard coding it? For example a model is running a discreet time step at 400Hz, is there a way to find this 400Hz value in the embedded matlab code, updated dynamically at run time to be used for a function that has to know what the running rate is? ...

Changing operation of rate transition blocks (Simulink)
I am using rate transition blocks in one of my Simulink/SPS models.The block is supposed to show a label on the block in order to indicate the type of operation (e.g. ZOH, 1/Z, NoOp, etc.). However, even if the block seems to work, it always shows: NoOp. Not sure why that is the case. Instead of a ZOH, I would like to use a FOH operation of the rate transition block. However, it does not seem to be very straight forward task as the block itself does not allow for direct manipulation of the rate transition block operation. My question is, does anyone know how to manipulate the operation of r...

"FOR MATLAB PROFESSIONALS :::: ERROR RATE CALCULATION BLOCK PROBLEM"
In the Error Rate Calculation Block in Simulink, I'm having a problem of writing a number in the Receive Delay field, therefore my model is calculating errors even with no channel. I have tried using Align signals, however this still doesn't work. This problem occurs for eg when I using Convolutional Encoding and subsequent Viterby decoding. Do any of Matlab Professionals have an answer, regarding how to calculate "MANUALLY" the receive delay in bits, similar to what is given in all of Simulink model Demos in Matlab7 as well as Matlab 7.5 Please mail me at shah...

error using matlab script block with matlab 7.0
Hello, &nbsp; I'm using along several months in my vi's the matlab script block using 6.1 and 6.5 matlab script version and I haven't got any problem. Today I've installed matlab 7.0 and the matlab script block, but matlab script block never shows errors and I dont' know whyit happens. &nbsp; Someone knows which can be the problem.....is not compatible with matlab 7.0....i have to update labview?? &nbsp; Thanks &nbsp; Larson Thank you very much diego....i haven't found this forum topic. &nbsp; Bye! ...

To Block or not to Block
Hi, I've written a client server application using non-blocking sockets and most of the time it works fine, apart from when a message is send down the socket that causes the the non-blocking socket to want to block. This however returns an error because it's not able to block. Therefore is there anyway to get round this problem without setting the socket to block and not having to send the message in smaller chunks. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks Rob Robin Cawsey wrote: > Hi, > I've written a client server application using > non-blocking sockets and...

Application examples of single-rate FIRs operating at decimated rates
Hello comp.dsp, I am writing an app-note and am looking for a real-world (or realistic) application to use. I would be most grateful if anyone could up with real-world applications (ideally in the field of digital comms but does not have to be) for *single-rate* FIRs with the following *ideal* constraints: - maximum rate in the system "Sr" ideally in the range 100-150MHz - filter length N between say 15 to 60 - filter input bit-width between 1 and say 16 (signed or unsigned) - the filter operates in the middle of a datapath where the sampling rate of the filter is less than ...

Pygmy Mode (a colorForth-like Emacs mode block editor)
I have written Pygmy Mode, a colorForth-esque block editor in the form of an Emacs major mode. It is available for download from my web site at http://pygmy.utoh.org/pygmy-mode.html It lets you tag words with their meaning/color such as red for name, green for compiled, purple for variable. It lets you move around the file as if it were a block file, including alternating between source and shadow blocks, insert blocks, slide blocks up or down, etc. It is mainly for my personal experimenting at this time, but I post it in case it is of interest to anyone. -- Frank http://pygmy.utoh....

VxWorks silently REBOOTS, transition task to int and int to task
Have a large application wich silently reboots, no exception information when it reboots. System viewer always shows the reboot happens when a kernel task transitions to an interrupt or an interrupt exits and is going back to a kernel task.Typically happens on a UARTISR which is always always active, seen it fail on almost all kernel tasks including idle. 1. No message from VxWorks on reboot. 2. No ICE avaiable to trap on the reboot 3. Boot routine which is fixed nastilly does a memory test from ROM before init.s. 4. Application is big like 500k of code. 5. Not my code original author(s) are l...

Launching non-blocking MATLAB scripts on a linux server from MATLAB on Windows
Hi all I have a linux box with MATLAB installed on it. I want to launch some MATLAB scripts on it from MATLAB on my desktop PC, but I don't want the command to block, i.e. I want the command prompt re-appear immediately, and for the command to be run asynchronously on the box. To be clear, every command I send should start a new instance of MATLAB on the linux box, and run in that. There is no communication between the two MATLABs once the command is sent. I can do this from a linux PC fine, using: a = round(clock); str = sprintf('ssh cvg-1 "nohup /opt/matlab2010a/bin/ma...

Using Embedded MATLAB block and IC block in a simple arrangement but unexpected result?
Hi there, What I have is a simple Simulink model consisting of a scope, embedded MATLAB function block and an IC block. The signal route, if assumed to start from the output of the function block goes to the input of the IC block. The output of the IC block goes to the input of the function block to form a loop. The scope shows the output from the function block. The initial condition of the input block is set to 1 and the embedded MATLAB function is y = u + 1. The sampling time has been set to 1 sec and the simulation runs for 10 secs. The expected output in the scope would be an initial ...

Samba mode (SMB mode), SRS icarus mode, whatif mode
These 3 modes are back online: Samba mode (SMB mode)</A>, SRS icarus mode, whatif mode http://jrweare.googlepages.com/ReleasedOpenSourceSoftware.html enjoy Johnathon ...

Blocks question / Matlab
I want to generate a series of numbers 0-360 (a series of degrees) to input the number to a block. Is there a Matlab block that can do this? Efthimios <eangelopoulos@gmail.com> wrote in message <0864d9b1-4702-4a5b-8fac-148e79ff0b7e@k36g2000pri.googlegroups.com>... > I want to generate a series of numbers 0-360 (a series of degrees) to > input the number to a block. > > Is there a Matlab block that can do this? > > > matlab doesn't have 'blocks'. the code to do this looks like 1:360 if you are talking about simulink there are many ways t...

a single matlab session
Hi, Is there a way to restrict matlab to open only a single session. What I want to do is to have a shell script which when clicked upon a file will open the file using a user defined script on the existing matlab session instead of opening a new session. matlab -r command does this but opens a new session each time which is not what I want. Thanks. Suresh "Suresh" <sureshn@aps.anl.gov> wrote in message news:k1m37j$kk0$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > Hi, > > Is there a way to restrict matlab to open only a single session. What I > want to do is to have a shell script which when clicked upon a file will > open the file using a user defined script on the existing matlab session > instead of opening a new session. > matlab -r command does this but opens a new session each time which is not > what I want. MATLAB COM Automation Server may be useful for you. http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_external/brd0vd4-1.html -- Steve Lord slord@mathworks.com To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on http://www.mathworks.com Hi Steven, Thank you for your response. Is this applicable to Linux as well? Suresh "Steven_Lord" <slord@mathworks.com> wrote in message <k1nqr7$n4r$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > > > "Suresh" <sureshn@aps.anl.gov> wrote in message > news:k1m37j$kk0$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > &g...

Single User Mode
I've been using AppleJack for system maintenance; it's a great, free tool. To use it, you have to boot into single user mode and run it. Here's my question: When AppleJack is running, it displays pages and pages of output. I'd like to go back and review some of that output, but you're not running in a terminal window, so you don't have scroll bars and page up and page down don't seem to work. How do you go back and look at previous screenfuls of stuff in single user mode? Would you have to run the AppleJack script with "| more"? I've poked around i...

single-user mode
Hello. I have made some changes to the kernel config file: I have added options USER_LDT to MYKERNEL (a copy of file:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC). I need this option for new loadable NVidia module to work. After making the changes, I built the kernel, as explained in the handbook, and it went fine. Then I proceeded to the installation itself (make install). The installation never got completed. Then I heard (I am a newbie) that I should have booted the system in single-user mode before installing the kernel. For bootstrapping in single-user mode I enter the boot -s at the loader prompt and this brings me to the sh shell. I use csh by default, but it seems like singer-user mode only works with sh shell (??). Whatever, while in this single-user mode I cannot enter the /usr/src directory. Actually it seems like the filesystems are not loaded! So I am stuck at that phase. Could anyone give me some suggestions on how to complete the installation of my new kernel? Thanks in advance! Alejo wrote: > Hello. > > I have made some changes to the kernel config file: I have added options > USER_LDT to MYKERNEL (a copy of file:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC). I > need this option for new loadable NVidia module to work. > > After making the changes, I built the kernel, as explained in the handbook, > and it went fine. > > Then I proceeded to the installation itself (make install). The installation > never got com...

Matlab startup mode
Hi there, Is there a way to query how matlab was started? Basically, I have a startup.m file which includes some user interaction (to pick which project I'm working on). But, I sometimes want to run matlab from the command line with the -r option: matlab -r 'a list of a few commands' In this case I would prefer matlab to just skip the interactive part of my startup.m file and process the commands I gave it. So I was wondering if there is a variable I can query (in my startup.m) that can distinguish which 'mode' matlab is running in...? Cheers, Sven. <sven.holcombe@...

Matlab.Application.Single
I have Matlab r13 installed on an XP system and I am unable to get the IDispatch interface from Matlab.Application.Single , however it does work for Matlab.Application Does anyone have a clue? Even if I go to the "OLE View" tool supplied with VC 6 (if you expand the interface (listed by program ID) it will instantiate the object Matlab.Application but not Matlab.Application.Single - it says "CLASS_E_CLASSNOTAVAILABLE" - This is the error message reported - actually says "CoGetClassObject failed" then gives the error code above. Any help would be appreciated. T...

Block mode in vim
Is it possible to replace one character by another in vim's 'blockwise visual' mode? If so, how? [I probably could create some macro moving the block to a temporary buffer, do the replacement there 'globally' and copy the block back. But this looks a bit too complicated...] Andre' After you highlight a character or characters, hit r then the character you want to replace it with. If you highlight more than one char, then all get replaced by the new char. "Andre Poenitz" <poenitz@htwm.de> wrote in message news:q80i62-a81.ln1@lilie....

Help with tasks in matlab
Hi everybody! Well I'm starting with tasks in matlab,but after reading the matlab help with tasks,I hve got some doubts. I'd like making the next sequential function with tasks: function [m] = ConcatenacionVertical(cars,pos,velocidadmedia,desv_velocidad) if(nargin==4) m=zeros(0,6); for i=1:cars v=normrnd(velocidadmedia,desv_velocidad); posiciones=[v pos]; m=vertcat(m,posiciones); end else disp('Faltan o sobran paramatros en la funcion ConcatenacionVertical'); end end Reading ...

Line Bisection Task in Matlab
Dear Matlabbers, I'm quite new to Matlab and would like to program a simple psychological experiment called the "line bisection task" for one of my projects. In the experiment the participant sees a basically blank screen with a single horizontal line somewhere on the screen (I've created images for this already). The participant must then click, where they think, the centre of the line is. I'd like to have the mouse coordinates saved to a variable every time the participant clicks the screen, and the time from image presentation to mouse click (reaction time). Could ...

DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT and single block access
If a query fetches a row via indexes, what will be read from disk, just one block containing the row or a number determined by DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT? The question is, is there any need to compromise on the size of this init parameter? Should I be afraid that setting it to high will slow down random block access? (Using 8.1.7 on Sun/Solaris -Production- and 9.2.0.4 on Linux/Intel -Test-). Bye Rick Denoire Rick Denoire wrote: > If a query fetches a row via indexes, what will be read from disk, > just one block containing the row or a number determined by > DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT? dbfmbrc only ever kicks in when Oracle does full scans (or scans against an index). Therefore, the strict answer to your question is 'just one block'. > > The question is, is there any need to compromise on the size of this > init parameter? Should I be afraid that setting it to high will slow > down random block access? You need to set that parameter carefully, and not just throw any old number you like in. It needs to match what your hardware can actually perform (and Steve Adams at www.ixora.com.au has a script that lets you find out what your hardware is actually capable of if you don't know). The reason for that is that if dbfmbrc is set ridiculously high, you are telling the optimizer that you can read a huge number of blocks in a single I/O request. That makes full table scans look ridiculously cheap, and hence the optimizer starts adop...

pySerial: write in a blocking mode
Hi: I'm using pySerial to talk to a RS232 to RS485 converter. In order to control the converter, I need to control the DTR line to enable/disable de RS485 driver. In particular, I need to : write a character to the serial port set the DTR line to level 1 _after_ the last bit of the character is send So I tried this (ser is the serial port object): ser.write(x) ser.setDTR(1) The problem with this is that the ser.write function returns before the character is send, and thus, the DTR line is set too soon. (I checked this behaivour with an osciloscope). I thought that seting the writeTim...

Web resources about - Single-tasking mode and rate transition blocks - comp.soft-sys.matlab

How Single-Tasking Boosts Your Productivity
Overwhelmed and in need of an attention-overhaul? Might be time to approach your workflow in a new way. How many browser tabs do you have open ...

‚ÄčTry "Tabless Thursdays" for Better Single Tasking
Tabs are a great way to keep many browser windows open at once. The Atlantic recommends going tabless one day a week to stay focused. Read more... ...

Single-tasking Is the New Multitasking
Trying to do too many internet things at once makes it hard to get anything done at all.