Slow startup, stuck initializing

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi all!

I am new at this newsgroup, so please excuse me if this topic has already been brought up while I was too stupid to find anything about it...

I have a problem when starting Matlab (Win XP) with a borrowed network license on my laptop while connected to the internet... Matlab itself starts up quickly as usual, but then seems to be stuck initializing for about 10-15 minutes, which is very annoying.

When disconnected from the internet or connected to our company's network via VPN, there is no problem whatsoever. It seems that Matlab is trying to reach the license server, could this be?

I have no network drives in my path and no startup.m which could cause trouble... and it happens on different computers, so I suppose it's not a problem linked to my installation.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and is there a solution to it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance
Stefan
0
Reply Stefan 1/23/2010 2:43:04 PM

See related articles to this posting

"Stefan " <stefan.troyer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> I am new at this newsgroup, so please excuse me if this topic has already
> been brought up while I was too stupid to find anything about it...
>
> I have a problem when starting Matlab (Win XP) with a borrowed network
> license on my laptop while connected to the internet... Matlab itself
> starts up quickly as usual, but then seems to be stuck initializing for
> about 10-15 minutes, which is very annoying.
>
> When disconnected from the internet or connected to our company's network
> via VPN, there is no problem whatsoever. It seems that Matlab is trying to
> reach the license server, could this be?
>
> I have no network drives in my path and no startup.m which could cause
> trouble... and it happens on different computers, so I suppose it's not a
> problem linked to my installation.
>
> Has anyone experienced the same problem and is there a solution to it? Any
> help is greatly appreciated!

Try the suggestions here:

http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-2Z18MA/index.html?solution=1-2Z18MA

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com

0
Reply Steven 1/25/2010 3:08:35 AM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

FC3: Slow Install-Startup/Startup/Rescue-Disk-Startup
Hi, I have an Asus P4P800-MX MB (Intel 865GV chipset). 3.0 GHz CPU w/HT, 1 GB RAM, and 80 GB HD. Bios of MB is up-to-date. The HD is contains 3 primary partions (/boot, WinXP[NTFS],10GB_shared-area[FAT32]) and an extended partion that contains the swap (2GB) and /(28GB). I have installed Fedora Core 3 (actually a dual boot installation with WinXP). During the startup of the installation the system hangs for a long time at the /sbin/loader line (maybe 5 minutes or so). I've confirmed that this happens with the rescue disks for both FC2 & FC3, as well. After that poi...

Slow Startup
Dear all When I start up my G4 Imac (OS X v10.3.6), all goes well (chime, initialization bar) but the sytem just seems to hang before anything comes up on the desktop and the spinning ball of doom appears. It can take almost 4 minutes for items on the the desktop to appear. Any ideas? * posted via http://mymac.ws In article <41a311d6$1_5@alt.athenanews.com>, micksharp <micksharp@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote: > When I start up my G4 Imac (OS X v10.3.6), all goes well (chime, > initialization bar) but the sytem just seems to hang before anything > comes u...

Slow Startup
Have my HP 5375 notebook, P4, 512mb 40gb HD for 2 months now. It has continously gotten slower to start up & shut down. Was at almost 3 minutes to start up & spoke with tech at HP on phone, had me go safe mode msconfig & change start up, now it is taking 3 1/2 minutes to fully start up & load. Tech suggested a restore, I am hesitant. Very little has been added since purchase & it seems slower each day. Takes over 1 minute to shut down. I have cleaned & defragged 3 times weekly. Any ideas, HD, processor, memory, etc. Did notice the fan for the processor has been on a lot...

very slow startup
I installed Matlab6p5 on windows2000. When I want to start matlab, it takes 5-10 minutes initializing. I have the same version of matlab on windowsXP, it works perfectly fine. Is there any solution to this problem? I also got rid of the evironment variable LM_License_file, and it didn't make any difference. In article <eee66cb.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP>, ladude@yahoo.com says... > I installed Matlab6p5 on windows2000. When I want to start matlab, it > takes 5-10 minutes initializing. I have the same version of matlab on > windowsXP, it works perfectly fine. > Is there any sol...

startup very slow
Hello! I have a problem with matlab. Yesterday I installed a tool for my project and I changed the values on LM_LICENSE_FILE on My_computer->properties->Advanced->Environment_variables. But now Matlab, at startup, is very slow: the initialization needs many minutes (maybe 10) in order to work with matlab. Why this? Please, help me! I dont remember the old values of LM_LICENSE_FILE... it was important? I have WINXP. Thanks! S ...

Slow Startup
I have a 1.1 Ghz Celeron computer, with 384 MB of RAM. I put a used hard drive into it and formatted the hard drive and installed Windows XP. I have installed nothing else and I haven't even connected it to the internet yet. It takes a full 60 seconds from the moment I turn it on until the moment the desktop shows. Is there any way that I can speed this up? actc5@juno.com writes: > I have a 1.1 Ghz Celeron computer, with 384 MB of RAM. I put a used > hard drive into it and formatted the hard drive and installed Windows > XP. > > I have installed noth...

Initial Matlab Startup
I installed matlab 7 on my computer (windows xp). however, whenever i start my computer up, i have noticed a significant increase in load time for windows b/c MATLAB.exe and matlabserver.exe also load up when windows starts (have to ctrl+alt+del - processes - to see this). Also, MATLAB.exe takes up a lot of memory. I always have to ctrl+alt+del and terminate those 2 programs. I have already tried msconfig, but matlab is not in there. Any ideas to disable this automatic startup thing? Hi faltu, take a look for the windows services. They you can disable at least the server. (start->preferen...

HP Slow Startup
I have an HP Pavilion 5375- 2.8 p4 with 512 mb with XP home. It now takes 4 1/2 minutes to fully boot up where my desktop with the same programs take less then 15 seconds. After going thru some fixes with customer service (LOL) they had me send it in to HP service, got it back in three days with the note could not duplicate problem. I tried it when I got it back still 4 1/2 minutes to boot up. I guess they consider that normal as they said they could not duplicate it. I tried complaining but they say I can't call the service dept directly only the customer service in India. "Stephe...

Slow safari startup
I run Safari 4.0.3 on my Gmac ( mac 10.4.11) and Safari takes forever to start up, especially after a crash which has happened a couple of times in the past week). I get impatient sometimes and start up Firefox (3.5) which comes up right away. My home page on both browsers is cnn.com but I have the same problem with Safari no matter what my home page is. Any thoughts In article <c92a4c9f-44de-42b7-9665-0b421d3ca31a@s15g2000yqs.googlegroups.com>, Jerry Freedman <jerry.freedman.jr@gmail.com> wrote: > I run Safari 4.0.3 on my Gmac ( mac 10.4.11) and Safari takes forever > to...

Slow startup #2
This question may not be specifically related to linux. The computer is located where overnight temperatures drop to perhaps 40-50 degrees C. When started in the morning, the machine may take over 15 minutes to boot up. When temperatures are warmer, it boots more quickly. Is this clearly a hardware issue? Since the hard disk is the only moving part, can I assume that the HD is slowed down by the cold, perhaps because of thickened lubricant? If so, is that to be expected of hard disks, or is it a sign of trouble with this particular hard disk? -- Haines Brown, KB1GRM ...

Matlab very slow during initialization
Hi! When I start matlab, the initialization takes ages to finish. The problem is for some reason the pathdef.m file, which has almost 4000 lines. Could it be that the number of lines is the problem, because when I delete most of them it goes much faster. If that is the case, why is this happening? I mean, 4000 lines are not that many I think... "Stratis Gavves" <egavves@ee.auth.gr> wrote in message news:hqs5gt$bbk$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi! > > When I start matlab, the initialization takes ages to finish. The problem > is for some reason the pathdef...

Slow Startup form
Hi there, I made a kind of Splash screen for my database which is the form selected on startup, it shows for a few seconds then closes and opens the db switchboard. For some reason though the splash screen form seems to take a few seconds to come up. It is strange because if I open it from the db window it comes up straight away. If I select a different form for startup that form comes up straight away when the database opens. I moved the splash screen to a different database and tried the same thing and it came up immediately. Would anybody know what the issue might be here, why the databa...

pre startup initialization
How would I go about calling a function before the main function is called? The function needs to be called multiple times from different locations. I have something like this working but it is more of a hack than anything... ---FOO.cpp--- bool func() { dostuff; return 0; }; ---A.cpp--- bool func(); bool __dummyvar__ = func(); ---B.cpp--- bool func(); bool __dummyvar__ = func(); ---C.cpp--- bool func(); bool __dummyvar__ = func(); this is all done globally. * Nolan Martin: > How would I go about calling a function before the main function is called? > The function needs t...

Matlab slow at startup
Hello! I have a problem with matlab. Yesterday I installed a tool for my project and I changed the values on LM_LICENSE_FILE on My_computer->properties->Advanced->Environment_variables. But now Matlab, at startup, is very slow: the initialization needs many minutes (maybe 10) in order to work with matlab. Why this? Please, help me! I dont remember the old values of LM_LICENSE_FILE... it was important? I have WINXP. Thanks! S On Friday, November 10, 2006 5:24:52 PM UTC+3, Stefano d wrote: > Hello! > > I have a problem with matlab. Yesterday I installed a tool for my &...

Intermittant slow startup
Runnng python 2.2 on HP-UX, I get intermittant slow startup. Sometimes python starts up in a small fraction of a second, and sometimes takes 3-5 seconds. This applies to any script I run, or just typing 'python' at the prompt. I also observed something similar on Linux. Any ideas what would cause *intermittant* slow startup? -Mike Michael Mossey wrote: > Runnng python 2.2 on HP-UX, I get intermittant slow startup. > Sometimes python starts up in a small fraction of a second, and > sometimes takes 3-5 seconds. This applies to any script I run, or > just typing 'p...

stuck in startup loop
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on a newer Gateway computer. Have not loaded any new programs or done anything unusual. Turned it on the other day and got the screen that asks to start in normal, safe mode, etc. No matter which option I choose, it begins to load, then restarts and once again I get that same window. Any one have any ideas? Thanks. You might try rolling back the registry. WT "Brenda" <brendamatc@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:669f7190.0310021743.831296b@posting.google.com... > I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on a newer Gateway computer...

Initial positioning at startup...
Pine's behaviour seems to have changed since a few days: on startup when I entered my INBOX the highlighted message used to be the first new (marked with a N) one. Now, it always is a fixed one, a week old or so. Is it possible that I inadvertently changed some configuration? It seems unprobable... Anyway, it's version 4.64. Michele -- Liberta' va cercando, ch'e' si' cara, Come sa chi per lei vita rifiuta. [Dante Alighieri, Purg. I, 71-72] I am my own country - United States Confederate of Me! [Pennywise, "My own country"] On Mon, 10...

win98 slow startup
Hi all, My win98 startsup very slowly. 5 Mins. I already did the following stuff: regclean (with sveral progs) msconfig eliminate all progs at startup (this doesn't slow too much). defrag, On a fresh install it was much faster. Now it shows startup screen for a minute, then dos screen for a minute or two then startup screen again for a minute. I deinstalled an ethernetadapter. I deinstalled every protocol related with it. Is the only solution a reinstall? Please help me? best regards Uwe ...

Slow x startup.
Hi All. First... Sorry for the long post. But i am truly lost any help would be appreciated. When starting X it takes forever. I am running 4.8 stable with sources from sunday. Hardware : Vodoo Banshee 16MB, Pentium 233, 64MB ram. I get some errors when starting X. :- -bash-2.05b$ startx Using authority file /home/budgie/.Xauthority Writing authority file /home/budgie/.Xauthority xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "housemat.mat:0" in "list" command Using authority file /home/budgie/.Xauthority xauth: (stdin):1: bad display name "housemat.mat:0&qu...

wine slow on startup
Hello. As of yesterday's git, wine became very slow on starting; it gives wine: Call from 0x7ee38144 to unimplemented function ntoskrnl.exe.KeQueryActiveProcessors, aborting wine: Unimplemented function ntoskrnl.exe.KeQueryActiveProcessors called at address 0x7ee38144 (thread 0023), starting debugger... Unhandled exception: unimplemented function ntoskrnl.exe.KeQueryActiveProcessors called in 32-bit code (0x7ee381c4). and wine: Call from 0x7ee38144 to unimplemented function ntoskrnl.exe.KeQueryInterruptTime, aborting wine: Call from 0x7ee20144 to unimplemented function ntosk...

Slow startup problem
Hi, I am using db-4.3.28 on AIX-5.1. Flags used are------ DB Flags = DB_CREATE| DB_AUTO_COMMIT|DB_THREAD; Environment Open Flags = DB_RECOVER |DB_CREATE | DB_INIT_LOCK | DB_INIT_LOG | DB_INIT_MPOOL | DB_INIT_TXN|DB_THREAD| Environment set_flags = DB_TXN_WRITE_NOSYNC|DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE When i add around 10000 items of size 256bytes to my application and restart my application. it takes more time in ENV and DB open. P.S. I am using only one DB handle for a given environment. Please help me out in solving this problem. Thnks and Regsrds, Gurpreet On Nov 1, 9:46...

Slow KDE startup
Hi, I have set up a local area network with FreeBSD 5.1 by connecting my DSL modem to the internet and the other network card to the LAN. Thus I have two running network devices on the same server and I am forwarding local requests to the DSL modem. Everything works fine as for my network but KDE turned out really slow on its startup ("initializing system services" takes 5 minutes). I have looked around (newsgroup archives & google) for information about this situation but I cannot find any solutions. I think the problem is that kdeinit cannot find the hostnam...

Quesion on Startup and Initialization
I have a need to do some one time initialization of a device over i2c after a reset. I am curious as to how the best way to handle this in embedded linux (or linux for that matter). It has to be done before USB and ethernet come up, but obviously after the i2c driver is loaded. 1)How are these types of things typically handled in embedded linux systems? 2)Do you write a little application that is called at some point, or what? 3)If so, how would have it get called? 4)How do control the order of driver loading for the requirement above? Thanks In Advance. ...

TCPSocket#initialize slow on Windows
ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i386-mswin32_71] TCPSocket.new('localhost', 80) takes something like 1.5-2 sec each call. (Test program only consists of profiling of this line with ruby-prof). Can this be a bug or result of my misunderstanding of something fundamental? Thanks. V. Victor 'Zverok' Shepelev wrote: > ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i386-mswin32_71] > > TCPSocket.new('localhost', 80) takes something like 1.5-2 sec each call. > (Test program only consists of profiling of this line with ruby-prof). > > Can this be a bu...