Solve Lagrange multiplier equations in MATLAB

I would like to solve first simple example on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_multipliers
 in MATLAB, any idea how to input it in MATLAB using built in
optimization routines.
0
faisalmufti (169)
1/25/2009 7:32:15 AM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 206960 articles. 560 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

fas <faisalmufti@gmail.com> wrote in message <53904571-a932-4f62-af98-13e35cda25a1@p2g2000prf.googlegroups.com>...
> I would like to solve first simple example on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_multipliers
>  in MATLAB, any idea how to input it in MATLAB using built in
> optimization routines.

help fmincon

Bruno
0
b.luong5955 (6403)
1/25/2009 8:07:08 AM
35cda2...@p2g2000prf.googlegroups.com>...
> > I would like to solve first simple example on
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_multipliers
> > =A0in MATLAB, any idea how to input it in MATLAB using built in
> > optimization routines.
>
> help fmincon
>
> Bruno

Could you please help a little further by putting it all together.
Also isn't fmincon for constraints with upper and lower bounds ?. In
this case we only x^2+y^2-1=3D0 constraint. Also what about fsolve ?
Thanks,
0
faisalmufti (169)
1/25/2009 11:40:55 PM
fas <faisalmufti@gmail.com> wrote in message <744606c0-2bf4-4fb4-8812-f65bf841b39f@w1g2000prk.googlegroups.com>...

> Could you please help a little further by putting it all together.

I could, but I risk not doing as well as the doc.

> Also isn't fmincon for constraints with upper and lower bounds ?.

Yes, optionally. Just give don't use it if you don't need it

>In
> this case we only x^2+y^2-1=3D0 constraint.

Look at 9th parameter (nonlcon).

I recommend reading the doc. All is there.

Bruno
0
b.luong5955 (6403)

trans-dsline file equation format?
Hi all, can someone please refresh my memory? I need to issue a file equation that points to a file on the other side of a DS connection. I create the connection via yoda:dsline h=3Dhobbes remote :H hobbes:hello... hobbes::=20 yoda:file x=3Dnpconfig.pub.sys:H yoda:dif i *x o npconfig.pub.sys x no difference msg; I just made changes and want to see the other diffs too! I seem to recall there being a clause similar to file x=3Dnpconfig.pub.sys;dev=3D<DS environment name??>#Disk I know it's not a dif issue; I've seen this work in the past. TIA Tra...

solve the questions
i am beginer in vc++.i want help in the following questions. 1. How can i create database program using sql server through codings.If we want DSN name it also create through codings. if u have any easy sample program please sent the following mail id. nevis_soft@yahoo.co.in "nevis" <nevis_soft@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message news:e5011219.0405310413.6c3b9785@posting.google.com... > i am beginer in vc++.i want help in the following questions. > 1. > How can i create database program using sql server through codings.If > we want DSN name it also create through codi...

Can you solve this in matlab2009b 64 bit? (systems of equations to be solved using "solve")
Hi all, Can you solve the following in matlab 2009b 64 bit (macosx with snow leopard)? I get the errors given below the code. It takes a lot of time before Matlab gives the error. Where do I go wrong? %----------------------- syms p0 p00 p1 p2 cn cr dn dr a an ar bn br T tau real; myfun = [ -(tau*(2*an + 2*bn*cn - 4*bn*p1 - dn*tau))/2; -(tau*(2*ar + 2*br*cr - 4*br*p0 - dr*tau))/2; ((T - tau)*(T*dn - 2*an - 2*bn*cn + 4*bn*p2 + dn*tau))/2; ((T - tau)*(T*dr - 2*ar - 2*br*cr + 4*br*p00 + dr*tau))/2; an*p2 - an*p1 - ar*p0 + ar*p00 + bn*p1^2 - bn*p2^2 + br*p0^2 - br*p00^2 - bn*cn*p1 + bn*c...

US-TX-Austin: Analog HW Eng., 5-10yrs industry exp., Spice simulation, C/Matlab; (45341314485)
US-TX-Austin: Analog HW Eng., 5-10yrs industry exp., Spice simulation, C/Matlab; (45341314485) ============================================================================================== Position: Analog HW Eng. Reference: SMC01901 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: MBSEE (MSEE preferred) with experience ranging from 5-10 years. Applicants should have strong skills in the following areas: Spice simulation, c/matlab experience, lab debug, and signal processing. Verilog, DSP skill...

Help with differential equation
Dear experts, I tried solving the following differential equation using DSolve: y' ' [x]+a( y' [x] ) = b( cos[y] ) But I got error message which asked me to provide proper arguments for cos.. So I changed cos[y] to cos[kx] and obtained solution... However, I have to solve the equation by keeping cos[y] in order to obtain a solution of relevance to my work. Please help. praveen I am sure will get a number of replies, but the correct functional call for cosine is: Cos[y] not cos[y]. Kevin mathpavi wrote: > Dear experts, > I tried solving the f...

solving an array of equations with solve
Hello, I want to find zeros of a system of equations, eq=[eq(1),..,eq(n)]. But solve(eq) doesn't seem to work here, yet solve(eq(1),..,eq(n)) does. Suggestions? Thanks. ...

Need a solved genetic algorithm example problem for Optimization
Greetings. I am teaching a class on Engineering Optimization to undergraduate students. During the last week of classes, I want to cover some non-traditional optimization topics such as Simulated Annealing, Generic Algorithms, Taguchi Methods, and the like. I am looking for a fully solved example problem that uses genetic algorithms. The problem can involve any particular application - backpack problem, traveling salesman problem, and so on. It does not have to be fancy. However, I do need the m-code so that I can run it - and maybe single step in debug mode - in front of the class. Sadl...

matlab (given three points , how to find a circular arc. ) #2
matlab (given three points , how to find a circular arc. ) given three points , how to find a circular arc. there is 3 points. p1(x1,y1) p2(x2,y2) p3(x3,y3) I have to find arc of the 3 point connection. plz, help me. I have to finish this work until tommorrow. this is what i used in matlab. but i filed so could you plz change this form ??? ============================================ function case1(x1,y1,x2,y2,x3,y3) xc=(((x2-x3)/(y2-y3))*((x2+x3)/2)+(y2+y3)/2-((x1-x2)/(y1-y2))*((x1+x2)/2)-((y1+y2)/2))/(((x2-x3)/(y2-y3))-((x1-x2)/(y1-y2))) yc=-((x1-x2)/(y1-y2))*(xc-((x1+x2)/2))+((...

Multi-boot liveCDs solved!
Multi-boot liveCDs solved!!!!!!!! http://www.pcquest.com/content/enterprise/2005/105070101.asp (link from http://www.livedistro.org) Hats off to Mr. Anindya Roy for taking simple liveCDs and putting them together into different directories a big DVD and then make the DVD multi-boot so as to boot any of those liveCDs!!!!! I've been waiting a year for this solution - and its so simple! It could have (and probably have been) done ages ago. Now you can show burn a single DVD (or CD) with many liveCD distros as you want and the choose which one to run from menu. Never leave home without you...

Solving an integral for an unknown function
Dear All, I wonder if anyone could let me know if there is a general solution to the following problem in Mathematica. Suppose the functions g[u,w] and h[w] are known. I want to find a function f[u] such that Integrate[g[u,w]*f[u],{u,0,1}]=h[w]. In addition I know that Integrate[f[u],{u,0,1}]=2 and Integrate[u*f[u],{u,0,1}]=1. Is it possible to solve the above for the unknown function f[u]? Of course there might be several solutions but I would be happy to find one. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. Mikael ...

solving with inverse functions/inexact coefficients
I'm trying to solve a set of simultaneous equations describing a laser cavity. A much simplified set of equations in Real unknowns F1, F2 and NU looks like this: F2 == Exp[0.76 NU] F1, F1 == 0.5 F2 Exp[0.76 NU], 0.5 F2 + NU == 15 They can be solved by hand very easily with two solutions, {F1=F2=0 && NU = 15} and {NU=0.46, F1=14.5, F2=29.1} Now Solve cannot solve these equations unless I change both instances of 0.76 to integers. Reduce seems to hang (or at least take too long to return and answer). Reduce can solve the problem quickly if I change both instances of 0.76 t...

svm solve everything
MySVMLIB and MySEMLIB Copyright (C) 2007 Zhi-Jie He The LIB for SVM and OC-SVM training A fast and parameter-free SVM training algorithm with direct generalized performance control is achieved. By integrating kernel caching, shrinking and using second order information, a fast QP trainer is achieved. For traditional two-class SVM, the generalized error bound derived from SLT is calculated and minimized for the selection of parameters, with ZQP method and parallel method to speed up the process. For one-class SVM, a compression criterion is proposed and used to search the best kernel width au...

Partial Workaround for Leopard MATLAB Focus Bug
As Leopard users know, switching to MATLAB via Cmd-Tab does not focus the MATLAB window. As a workaround to click by mouse, I enabled mouse keys in the Assistive Devices section in System Prefs, and instead of clicking, I can focus the window by pressing 5 in the numeric keypad. This might help people who don't want to use mouse. Ustun ...

Help needed to generate Embedded MATLAB code
I need help in generating Embedded MATLAB code using the Embedded MATLAB function block in Simulink 6. The Embedded code is parsed but while generating the Embedded Code it gives me an Error. I am working on this for over 2 weeks now. Any sort of help is appreciated "Harsh Shah" <harsh12@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eeecb49.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > I need help in generating Embedded MATLAB code using the Embedded > MATLAB function block in Simulink 6. > > The Embedded code is parsed but while generating the Embedded Code it > gives me an Error. > >...

designing a GA for solving general network routing problems.
Respected sir/madam Suppose i have a General computer networks independent of Topologies.I want to find the shortest path from source to destination through GA but using GA..... I don't know the use of GA chromosome encoding and fitness functions in matlab. what u suggest. thanking you ...........help me dear plz........ ...

problem to solve #2
any of you can help me indicating how to solve this problem: &#8730;(x(x+1)(x+2)= x+i Thank Regards Guillermo "Barker Guillermo" <bcguillermo@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eeddcde.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > any of you can help me indicating how to solve this problem: > > &#8730;(x(x+1)(x+2)= x+i > > Thank > Regards > Guillermo On my newsreader, Outlook Express, your "problem" reads as gibberish. Perhaps you can clarify your problem rather than just reposting it. ...

Matlab GUI #8
Hi everyone, I am trying to put together a GUI not using the GUIDE. I have problems with the callback functions for graphic objects. I am getting the following error message: ??? Error using ==> MassSlider_Callback Too many input arguments. ??? Error while evaluating uicontrol Callback. The graphic object is: uicontrol(h_figure,'Style','slider',... 'Units','characters',... 'Position',[10 24.8 35 1.2],... 'BackgroundColor','white',... 'Min',0,... 'Max',5,... 'SliderStep',[0.01 0.10],...

Estimating parameters and delays in delayed differential equations.
Hi, I'm working on a problem in which I need to estimate the parameters and the delay of a delayed differential equation. I'm aware of the DDE23 package that evaluates the delayed differential equation for known values of parameters and delays, however I haven't been able to find a resource that can help in model fitting of such delayed equations, or perhaps something that helps combine the dde23 package with some other sort of parameter and delay estimation routine. I would be grateful for any help that could be provided with this. My equation is of the type: ydot = beta*y(t-ta...

run a programm from Matlab (Guide)
Hello, i am trying to run a programm i have installed on my computer from guide, and i need some help. All i am trying to do firstly is on my first figure to write a callback for push button to open a programm i need. On the second figure i want to insert two files with two push buttons in that programm, in order to process some data. I am very confused, do i need a compiler for that procedure? ...

Nonlinear equations #5
Hello, I'm trying to solve a nonlinear system of equations but I only got bullshit. I used the fsolve command, are there other possibillities to solve this system? Thank you very much!! Birk Here is my last try to make this programm working: x0=[30 0.02 200 2]; options=optimset('MaxFunEvals',600,'MaxIter',600); x=fsolve(@Funktion_Startwertsuche3,x0,options,eta_40,beta_oel,Q,lax,Z, CR,bax,omega,X,B,Pfstern,D,T_en,cp,rho); %and function [F]= Funktion_Startwertsuche3 (x,eta_40,beta_oel,Q,lax,Z,CR,bax,omega,X,B,Pfstern,D,T_en,cp,rho); F = [eta_40*exp(-beta_oel*(x(1)-40)...

Solving differential equation..
Dear All, Hope you all are doing well, I am new to MATLAB, I am willing to make a program which can solve the 2nd order differential equation. Actually I got the source code but I can not understand the code completely. Please help me out, I will be very thankful. Thanks On 10/9/2013 8:55 AM, NED nabeel wrote: > Dear All, > > Hope you all are doing well, > > I am new to MATLAB, I am willing to make a program which can solve >the 2nd order differential equation. Actually I got the source code >but I can not understand the code completely. > > P...

Re: suggestion --Problem Solved-Viptos is running now
Hi Wahid, Glad it worked! I've cleaned up a couple of other uses of PTJAVA_DIR. The version of Java that is recommended depends on the exact release of Ptolemy. The version numbers are listed in $PTII/doc/install.htm. For Vipotos 1.0.2, I believe Java 1.4.2_06 and Java 1.5.0_06 will work. For Viptos from the Ptolemy CVS tree (see http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal), I believe we are using Java 1.5.0_11. Java 1.4 will not work everywhere in the Ptolemy CVS tree, we are using generics in several places. Java 1.6 will also work with the Ptolemy CVS tree. If y...

TextEdit and MathType equations
As a recent OS X convert I have a question about pasting equations (in this case, written in an old version of MathType, version 3.7a) into TextEdit documents. In the past when using OS 9 I created equations in MathType and saved them as PICTs. Then, using ResEdit, I pasted them into SimpleText documents. This, though somewhat inconvenient, produced reasonably high quality output when using PrintToPDF to create PDF files. One drawback was that the inserted PICTs were always centered within their lines rather than starting at the left edge but, for the intended purpose, this was OK. N...

Associate .m file to Matlab editor
I have Vista on my computer. When I click on an .m file instead of opening the file in the Matlab editor it opens it with notepad. How can I associate .m files to Matlab so that when I click on them they will open directly in the Matlab editor? If I right-click the .m file and ask for "Open with" I get only Notepad and Word pad as alternatives. "Carmen " <camena@live.com> wrote in message news:hnlkkj$m7t$1@fred.mathworks.com... >I have Vista on my computer. When I click on an .m file instead of opening >the file in the Matlab editor it opens it with notepad....

US-TX-Austin: Analog HW Eng., 5-10yrs industry exp., Spice simulation, C/Matlab; (45343457605)
US-TX-Austin: Analog HW Eng., 5-10yrs industry exp., Spice simulation, C/Matlab; (45343457605) ============================================================================================== Position: Analog HW Eng. Reference: SMC01901 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: MBSEE (MSEE preferred) with experience ranging from 5-10 years. Applicants should have strong skills in the following areas: Spice simulation, c/matlab experience, lab debug, and signal processing. Verilog, DSP skill...