solving dense singular linear system

Hello,
I am trying to solve a square system of linear equation Ax=b, with A
singular. Any suggestions about possible MATLAB built-in routines or
user-contributed routines are welcome.

Is it possible to use any of lsqr, cgs, gmres methods? do these give
accurate solution, is any method better than the others.

As I was reading, I came across the topic of matrix deflation and
inflation, anybody know about MATLAB resources related to this topic?

There was also a suggestion to reduce the number of equation by 1 and
then making the matrix consistent. Any insight on this is very
appreciated.

Thanks,
0
fdawoud (1)
5/29/2007 2:49:47 AM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 206885 articles. 560 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

"Fady Dawoud" <fdawoud@dal.ca> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am trying to solve a square system of linear equation Ax=b, with A
> singular. Any suggestions about possible MATLAB built-in routines or
> user-contributed routines are welcome.
>
> Is it possible to use any of lsqr, cgs, gmres methods? do these give
> accurate solution, is any method better than the others.
>
> As I was reading, I came across the topic of matrix deflation and
> inflation, anybody know about MATLAB resources related to this topic?
>
> There was also a suggestion to reduce the number of equation by 1 and
> then making the matrix consistent. Any insight on this is very
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

HELP MLDIVIDE

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com

0
slord (13691)
5/29/2007 3:44:07 AM
Fady Dawoud wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to solve a square system of linear equation Ax=b, with
> singular. Any suggestions about possible MATLAB built-in routines
> or
> user-contributed routines are welcome.
>
> Is it possible to use any of lsqr, cgs, gmres methods? do these
> give
> accurate solution, is any method better than the others.
>
> As I was reading, I came across the topic of matrix deflation and
> inflation, anybody know about MATLAB resources related to this
> topic?
>
> There was also a suggestion to reduce the number of equation by 1
> and
> then making the matrix consistent. Any insight on this is very
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

x = pinv(A)*b

HTH,
John
0
woodchips (7942)

[Info-Ingres] Orphaned System Generated Indexes
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01CAD721.E4C3862A Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable X-WatchGuard-AntiVirus: part scanned. clean action=allow Hi All, =20 I have a table which has 5 system generated indexes. AFAIK only constraints which do not specify an index can have a system generated index created. But there are only two constraints on the table, and the catalogs indicate that two of the secondary indexes are tied to these constraints. =20 That leaves three seemingly...

solve the questions
i am beginer in vc++.i want help in the following questions. 1. How can i create database program using sql server through codings.If we want DSN name it also create through codings. if u have any easy sample program please sent the following mail id. nevis_soft@yahoo.co.in "nevis" <nevis_soft@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message news:e5011219.0405310413.6c3b9785@posting.google.com... > i am beginer in vc++.i want help in the following questions. > 1. > How can i create database program using sql server through codings.If > we want DSN name it also create through codi...

Can you solve this in matlab2009b 64 bit? (systems of equations to be solved using "solve")
Hi all, Can you solve the following in matlab 2009b 64 bit (macosx with snow leopard)? I get the errors given below the code. It takes a lot of time before Matlab gives the error. Where do I go wrong? %----------------------- syms p0 p00 p1 p2 cn cr dn dr a an ar bn br T tau real; myfun = [ -(tau*(2*an + 2*bn*cn - 4*bn*p1 - dn*tau))/2; -(tau*(2*ar + 2*br*cr - 4*br*p0 - dr*tau))/2; ((T - tau)*(T*dn - 2*an - 2*bn*cn + 4*bn*p2 + dn*tau))/2; ((T - tau)*(T*dr - 2*ar - 2*br*cr + 4*br*p00 + dr*tau))/2; an*p2 - an*p1 - ar*p0 + ar*p00 + bn*p1^2 - bn*p2^2 + br*p0^2 - br*p00^2 - bn*cn*p1 + bn*c...

solving an array of equations with solve
Hello, I want to find zeros of a system of equations, eq=[eq(1),..,eq(n)]. But solve(eq) doesn't seem to work here, yet solve(eq(1),..,eq(n)) does. Suggestions? Thanks. ...

Does anybody use System Generator for DSP 8503
Hi, I'm an Electronic Engineering student and I'm doing my Thesis using System Generator for DSP v3.1 service pack 1. I've done my model in Simulink and tested that it works. Later I generate the netlist wihtout problems but when I try to synthesize in ISE 5.1 usin the XST VHDL desing flow lots of warnings appear. Above all this warnings; WARNING:Xst:37 - Unknown property "syn_black_box". WARNING:Xst:37 - Unknown property "fpga_dont_touch". And many others like signals asigned but never used. Why is the reason this warning appear? What should I do? Anybody could...

System News for Sun Users: TOC Vol 127 Issue 1: September 1 to September 7
The "System News for Sun Users" newsletters are sent each week to 50,000+ subscribers around the world. It is also posted to several newsgroups and to http://sun.systemnews.com You are encouraged to sign up for your own subscription to have a tailored newsletter delivered to you via email. The newsletter is built dynamically for each subscriber. You choose the technology areas that interest you. Each week the news is grouped into sections. Your newsletter is built from the sections that are available that match your selections. Current sections include: News, Feature...

Need a solved genetic algorithm example problem for Optimization
Greetings. I am teaching a class on Engineering Optimization to undergraduate students. During the last week of classes, I want to cover some non-traditional optimization topics such as Simulated Annealing, Generic Algorithms, Taguchi Methods, and the like. I am looking for a fully solved example problem that uses genetic algorithms. The problem can involve any particular application - backpack problem, traveling salesman problem, and so on. It does not have to be fancy. However, I do need the m-code so that I can run it - and maybe single step in debug mode - in front of the class. Sadl...

Multi-Lingual Template and Menu System for Web Sites via Dreamweaver MX
Product Announcement: Multi-Lingual web site using Nested Templates and Menus http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/ You can see the TONGUES of FIRE demo web site at http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/Demos/NestedT_Tongues_of_Fire/ This name is from the BIBLE, "...every man heard them speak in his own language." Acts 2:1-12 NIV NOTE: The POINT is to be able to do a web site with multiple-languages... IT WILL still NEED human translators....but this will be still very effective and it can do a lot of languages and update...

Multi-carts and Flash carts on classic systems #2
I have a large collection of classic units, and large collection of game carts for each one. I would like to box up alot of my carts and put them in storage to make some room around here. I was wondering if there are any solutions for these systems or better ones than I have found so far. Commodore 64: Somebody recomended a Retro Replay, does this hold alot of rom images? If not, I'll have to research in running them off the floppy drive. Vic-20: Found nothing so far, but would it work to have a 24k ram board and run carts off the disk drive? Atari 8bit: I have a Flash Max!! Atari 7800...

US-VA-Reston: Security Systems Integrator: MLS/One way trusts, DCID 6/3; Perm (45294757608)
US-VA-Reston: Security Systems Integrator: MLS/One way trusts, DCID 6/3; Perm (45294757608) =========================================================================================== Position: Security Systems Integrator Reference: SMC01288 Location: Reston VA Duration: Perm Skills: 4 + years hands_on experience with operational systems using MLS and one way trusts, DCID 6/3 (and appropriate IC interpretations), IPT environment. Multi Level Security design, implementation, and/or operations. Six Sigma t...

WANTED: alphaSyntauri or Soundchaser System.
Looking to get ahold of an alphaSyntauri, or Soundchaser system. If you have one of these available, please send me an e-mail. Thanks! - Peter there's one on Epay right now, not my auction ...

Multi-boot liveCDs solved!
Multi-boot liveCDs solved!!!!!!!! http://www.pcquest.com/content/enterprise/2005/105070101.asp (link from http://www.livedistro.org) Hats off to Mr. Anindya Roy for taking simple liveCDs and putting them together into different directories a big DVD and then make the DVD multi-boot so as to boot any of those liveCDs!!!!! I've been waiting a year for this solution - and its so simple! It could have (and probably have been) done ages ago. Now you can show burn a single DVD (or CD) with many liveCD distros as you want and the choose which one to run from menu. Never leave home without you...

Solving an integral for an unknown function
Dear All, I wonder if anyone could let me know if there is a general solution to the following problem in Mathematica. Suppose the functions g[u,w] and h[w] are known. I want to find a function f[u] such that Integrate[g[u,w]*f[u],{u,0,1}]=h[w]. In addition I know that Integrate[f[u],{u,0,1}]=2 and Integrate[u*f[u],{u,0,1}]=1. Is it possible to solve the above for the unknown function f[u]? Of course there might be several solutions but I would be happy to find one. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. Mikael ...

solving with inverse functions/inexact coefficients
I'm trying to solve a set of simultaneous equations describing a laser cavity. A much simplified set of equations in Real unknowns F1, F2 and NU looks like this: F2 == Exp[0.76 NU] F1, F1 == 0.5 F2 Exp[0.76 NU], 0.5 F2 + NU == 15 They can be solved by hand very easily with two solutions, {F1=F2=0 && NU = 15} and {NU=0.46, F1=14.5, F2=29.1} Now Solve cannot solve these equations unless I change both instances of 0.76 to integers. Reduce seems to hang (or at least take too long to return and answer). Reduce can solve the problem quickly if I change both instances of 0.76 t...

SN#13841 Japan Chooses Sun Java[TM] Desktop System
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 81 Issue 3 2004-11-15 Article 13841 from section "Features" Selected for Open Desktop Environment Initiative The Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) is endorsing the Sun Java[TM] Desktop System for its country's open source software verification program in educational institutions organized by the Information-technology Promotion Agency in Japan (IPA). This Sun solution was selected as the platform of choice in a recent open competition. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/...

Lowest Cost GPS Tracking System on the Market
Polaris - Lowest Cost GPS Tracking System on the Market CloserWorlds introduces Polaris, a low cost product / service for tracking an object's physical location in real-time over the Internet and displaying its position on a geographical map. Polaris can be used to track vehicles on the road, ships, planes, trains, humans and even animals. It is a generic system that consists of an XML web service and software running on a client's computer. Hardware located on the tracked object transmits the location periodically to the web service which forwards it to the customer's...

svm solve everything
MySVMLIB and MySEMLIB Copyright (C) 2007 Zhi-Jie He The LIB for SVM and OC-SVM training A fast and parameter-free SVM training algorithm with direct generalized performance control is achieved. By integrating kernel caching, shrinking and using second order information, a fast QP trainer is achieved. For traditional two-class SVM, the generalized error bound derived from SLT is calculated and minimized for the selection of parameters, with ZQP method and parallel method to speed up the process. For one-class SVM, a compression criterion is proposed and used to search the best kernel width au...

Best System to Run 3D Studio most efficiently
Assuming unlimited budget, what is the best system for running 3d studio most efficiently? kimmy wrote: > > Assuming unlimited budget, what is the best system for running 3d > studio most efficiently? You might take a look at some of the systems that Boxx Tech sells - but that's assuming you're serious about having a unlimited budget...... www.boxxtech.com/ Martin ...

designing a GA for solving general network routing problems.
Respected sir/madam Suppose i have a General computer networks independent of Topologies.I want to find the shortest path from source to destination through GA but using GA..... I don't know the use of GA chromosome encoding and fitness functions in matlab. what u suggest. thanking you ...........help me dear plz........ ...

problem to solve #2
any of you can help me indicating how to solve this problem: &#8730;(x(x+1)(x+2)= x+i Thank Regards Guillermo "Barker Guillermo" <bcguillermo@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eeddcde.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > any of you can help me indicating how to solve this problem: > > &#8730;(x(x+1)(x+2)= x+i > > Thank > Regards > Guillermo On my newsreader, Outlook Express, your "problem" reads as gibberish. Perhaps you can clarify your problem rather than just reposting it. ...

System News for Sun Users: TOC Vol 147 Issue 4: May 24 to May 30
The "System News for Sun Users" newsletters are sent each week to 50,000+ subscribers around the world. It is also posted to several newsgroups and to http://sun.systemnews.com You are encouraged to sign up for your own subscription to have a tailored newsletter delivered to you via email. The newsletter is built dynamically for each subscriber. You choose the technology areas that interest you. Each week the news is grouped into sections. Your newsletter is built from the sections that are available that match your selections. Current sections include: News, Feature...

Where to see Dell systems in NYC
Anyone know where to check out Dell computers in NYC area? Dell says 'kiosk at the mall' but no more info. Dell Direct Stores in New York: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/kiosk?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~section=ny -- ~ Kathleen Anderson "_DD" <_DD@nospam.com> wrote in message news:kaqi329d8146fo0p7h43lf8o5sl007oojr@4ax.com... > Anyone know where to check out Dell computers in NYC area? Dell says > 'kiosk at the mall' but no more info. > ...

How does one unpack iddata with System Ident Toolbox?
Hi I have what I think is a fairly simple question. I am using the System Identification toolbox and am using 'iddata' objects in the GUI. These can be taken to the command line environment, where further anaylsis can be done. However, I have iddata that I wish to 'unpack' so I can do this further analysis. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance ...

Solving differential equation..
Dear All, Hope you all are doing well, I am new to MATLAB, I am willing to make a program which can solve the 2nd order differential equation. Actually I got the source code but I can not understand the code completely. Please help me out, I will be very thankful. Thanks On 10/9/2013 8:55 AM, NED nabeel wrote: > Dear All, > > Hope you all are doing well, > > I am new to MATLAB, I am willing to make a program which can solve >the 2nd order differential equation. Actually I got the source code >but I can not understand the code completely. > > P...

Solve Linear Equations NaN return