solving dense singular linear system

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello,
I am trying to solve a square system of linear equation Ax=b, with A
singular. Any suggestions about possible MATLAB built-in routines or
user-contributed routines are welcome.

Is it possible to use any of lsqr, cgs, gmres methods? do these give
accurate solution, is any method better than the others.

As I was reading, I came across the topic of matrix deflation and
inflation, anybody know about MATLAB resources related to this topic?

There was also a suggestion to reduce the number of equation by 1 and
then making the matrix consistent. Any insight on this is very
appreciated.

Thanks,
0
Reply fdawoud (1) 5/29/2007 2:49:47 AM

See related articles to this posting

"Fady Dawoud" <fdawoud@dal.ca> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am trying to solve a square system of linear equation Ax=b, with A
> singular. Any suggestions about possible MATLAB built-in routines or
> user-contributed routines are welcome.
>
> Is it possible to use any of lsqr, cgs, gmres methods? do these give
> accurate solution, is any method better than the others.
>
> As I was reading, I came across the topic of matrix deflation and
> inflation, anybody know about MATLAB resources related to this topic?
>
> There was also a suggestion to reduce the number of equation by 1 and
> then making the matrix consistent. Any insight on this is very
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

HELP MLDIVIDE

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com

0
Reply slord (13688) 5/29/2007 3:44:07 AM

Fady Dawoud wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to solve a square system of linear equation Ax=b, with
> singular. Any suggestions about possible MATLAB built-in routines
> or
> user-contributed routines are welcome.
>
> Is it possible to use any of lsqr, cgs, gmres methods? do these
> give
> accurate solution, is any method better than the others.
>
> As I was reading, I came across the topic of matrix deflation and
> inflation, anybody know about MATLAB resources related to this
> topic?
>
> There was also a suggestion to reduce the number of equation by 1
> and
> then making the matrix consistent. Any insight on this is very
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

x = pinv(A)*b

HTH,
John
0
Reply woodchips (7941) 5/29/2007 10:41:05 AM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Solve singular linear system
Hi, I'm trying to solve a linear system: Ax = B, A is a given n by n matrix It is known that A is singular, and if I give x1=a, x2=b then the solution is unique. How do I solve Ax = B provided x1=a and x2=b in matlab? Thank you. "Haoran " <chr@cms.zju.edu.cn> wrote in message <k43000$rkg$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hi, I'm trying to solve a linear system: > > Ax = B, A is a given n by n matrix > > It is known that A is singular, and if I give x1=a, x2=b then the solution is unique. How do I solve Ax = B provided x1=a and x2=b in ...

solving sparse singular (linear) system
I seem to remember that in previous version of matlab the backslash operator would try to give solutions to singular systems...I know I could just knock out the zero rows and solve that non-singular system but I kind of (lazily) expect there to be a one-line way to do this in matlab. Also, I am actually applying it to large sparse singular matrices so pinv (pseudoinverse) is no good. thanks ... >> A = [ 0 0; 1 0] A = 0 0 1 0 >> b = [ 0 1]' b = 0 1 >> pinv(A)*b ans = 1 0 >> A\b Warning: Matrix is singular to working precision...

Which method is used in MATLAB to solve square singular linear systems ?
Hello All. My question is in the subject. I wonder which numerical technique is used in MATLAB to solve square systems with singular coefficient matrix. Take e.g. A=[ 10 10 1 -18 10 20 18 -34 1 18 29 -29 -18 -34 -29 58]; b=[50 ; 100 ; 90 ; -170]; This 4x4 system has rank 2 and MATLAB returns the solution >> A\b Warning: Matrix is close to singular or badly scaled. Results may be inaccurate. RCOND = 9.148276e-019. ans = 16.8889 -2.6667 9.8467 5.6705 This is not the least-squares solu...

Solving a recursive system of 3x3 linear systems...
Hi everybody, I'm looking at a recursive system where at each l-th step the three variables a[i,l] (1 <= i <= 3) have to be solved from a system of three linear equations involving the previously solved a[i,l+1], ...., a[i,k] (1 <= i <= 3) (so the iterator l runs back, starting from some value k). My goal is to find a closed form "direct formula" for the a[i,l], that is a formula that expresses each a[i,l] in terms of the starting values a[i,k]'s and the the other known constants involved. More precisely, the code for finding the first few s...

Solve Linear system with non-linear constrain
Hello! I would like to solve the following linear system: Ax = b, (where A is symmetric) but I would like to force the absolute value of x to be 1. That is <x,x>=1 How can I do that? Thanks a lot, and sorry: I am a newbie in optimization. "Max Brega" <matped@tiscali.it> wrote in message <hb4r52$5uj$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hello! > I would like to solve the following linear system: > Ax = b, (where A is symmetric) > > but I would like to force the absolute value of x to be 1. That is <x,x>=1 > How can I do that? > Thanks a lot, an...

Solving a recursive system of 3x3 linear systems... #2
Hello, apparently my previous email with the same subject wasn't readable since it contained a bitmap. Here's the text again with a link to the bitmap file to be viewed in a browser, hopefully this is better: Hi everybody, I'm looking at a recursive system where at each l-th step the three variables a[i,l] (1 <= i <= 3) have to be solved from a system of three linear equations involving the previously solved a[i,l+1], ...., a[i,k] (1 <= i <= 3) (so the iterator l runs back, starting from some value k). My goal is to find a closed form "direct ...

solve linear system
Dear all, I'm new to Matlab and so probably my question will be 'stupid' for some of you. I have an ODE system and I want to find the steady state (i.e. dx/dt=0). I think the way to achieve this task is using the symbolic toolbox and solve, but even with a reduced system, I can't get the solution for one of the variable, why? >> syms xa xb; eq1=-ReversibleMichaelis_Menten(xa, xb, p(2), p(3), p(4), p(5))*p(1)+ConstantFlux_irreversible_(p(7))*p(1) eq2=ReversibleMichaelis_Menten(xa, xb, p(2), p(3), p(4), p(5))*p(1)-ConstantFlux_irreversible_(p(6))*p(1) [xa xb]=solve(eq1,eq2...

Linear System solving
I have the system of equations Ax=b.How can I solve it for A if I know the x and b matrices?? And can I use the lscov() function too?? Hi Betty, How many rows and columns in the x and b matrices? Thanks. Rick "Betty Vag" <betty00arg@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ievopg$1l9$1@fred.mathworks.com... > I have the system of equations Ax=b.How can I solve it for A if I know the > x and b matrices?? > And can I use the lscov() function too?? > On Dec 23, 10:10=A0am, "Betty Vag" <betty00...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I hav...

solving a linear system
Hi everyone, I have a linear equation of the form Ax = b which I solve for every pixel in an input image by the brilliant matlab \ operator. Right now, I am looping and solving for every pixel. The matrix A does not change from pixel to pixel. Is there a faster, better way to solve this rather than a loop through each pixel? For example, I looked at the LAPACK documentation for functions like sgels, dgesls etc. and it says the following: "Several right hand side vectors b and solution vectors x can be handled in a single call; they are stored as the columns of the M-by-NRHS right hand...

complex linear system solving
hi all, i'm an electric ph.doc.ing. i've to solve a linear system in complex number of several variables. i've tried to enter in matrix editor complex number like 1+i5 for example, as well as (1,5) but when i use the command "linsolve" whith these matrix i can't get to a correct result; i just have wrong number by far, or an X=symbolic matrix(?!?!?!?). what's wrong? if i try to use the command "linsolve" and the write the complex matrix directly(not by"choose" softkey)i have a "bad argument type" error everytime i try to enter a com...

solve system of linear equations
Hi I have a system of linear equations(that I've finally vectorized.).I need to solve the following for P but I'm lost as to how to extract P from the vectorized formula to solve. I've put it on 3 lines for readability. Not even sure if I'm providing enough info here? Any help appreciated! Thanks SIRtarget and eta are scalar values U is an n*1 column G and X are n*m matrices P is a row of length m SIRtarget.*(repmat(U,1,length(G(1,:))).*G)'*(sum(repmat(P,length(X(:,1)),1).*(X./G),2))-SIRtarget.*P' +SIRtarget*eta*ones(length(G(1,:)),1) -P' here is the...

solving a system of linear equations
Hi, I have to solve a system of linear equations BUT - I have more equations than variables. what is the preferable optimization function to use? should I look for min ||AX-B||^2? also - when solving a square matrix, I used fsolve (got a nice result), but when I tried the simple A\B I got a warning (bad scaling) and a poor result. why? How can I improve the matrix? Thanks. sounds more like a stats/estimation problem than a matlab problem Ayelet Dotan wrote: > > > Hi, > I have to solve a system of linear equations BUT - > I have more equations than variables. > what is the...

solving a system of linear equations
Hi, In my experiments, I have a system of linear equations in 12 variables. The 12 variables are essentially some context to my new compression algorithm. I have many such equations. They are of the form a1c1 + a2c2 + a3c3 ... + a12c12 = B1 I will typically have 500 of such equations. My equations will not have an exact solution, but I am trying to find the closest (best) solution for the variables a1, a2... a12, such that the B vector is a close approximation of the input. I am trying to figure out what function in LAPACK I can use to accomplish this. I beleive dgesv is incorrect sinc...

solving a linear system of inequalities
Let A=[1 -2 1 3 1;-1 1/2 -3 2 3;1 1 1 -3 -4;1 -3 2 2 4;-3 1 -2 1 2;3 0 -3 1 2] and b=[0;0;0;0;0] Ax >= b How do I solve this in Matlab? I know how to solve if these are equalities, but not for inequalities. Thank you so much! "Loners Hicks" <hick1416@bellsouth.net> wrote in message <hkt395$de5$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Let A=[1 -2 1 3 1;-1 1/2 -3 2 3;1 1 1 -3 -4;1 -3 2 2 4;-3 1 -2 1 2;3 0 -3 1 2] > and b=[0;0;0;0;0] > Ax >= b > > How do I solve this in Matlab? > I know how to solve if these are equalities, but not for inequalities. > >...

Solving non-linear systems
Sorry to be so lame, but even after reading on-line and Matlab help I can't figure out how to use lsqnonlin. I've got three equations of the form: V(q) = q^2 -a1 / exp[a2(q^2 - a3)+1] And have three solutions at say q1,q2,q3, so three equations with three unknowns. Should be simple, right? Thanks, Rich. Equal number of equations as unknowns; it looks like you may want to try FSOLVE instead. To use it you need to create a function that defines your nonlinear equations; see the reference page (type "doc fsolve" at the Matlab prompt, for instance) for an example. -ma...

How to solve linear systems efficiently
Hello! Is there a way to solve the linear system x=-b/A, where A is a overdetermined, rectangular, complex, double matrix with ~40% zeros, more memory and/or time efficient than mrdivide? Since I've got 8Gb main memory, the size of the matrix is limited to below 4Gb, but I'd like to solve the equation for larger matrixes and, because I've got to solve many matrixes, I'd like to do it as fast as possible (in case it's impossible to solve bigger matrixes, it would be also helpful to solve the <4Gb-matrixes faster). Thanks, Jan Paskarbeit On Mar 3, 9:39=A0am, "Jan...

Solve a linear system of Equations
Hello, Everyone. Does Matlab have the ablity to solve a system of 3 equations and 3 unknows? If so what commands should I look for? Mike Being that "MATLAB" is short for MATrix LABoratory, one would expect the ability to solve a 3x3 system! Given Ax = B with unknown x, x = A\B Perhaps I should have been more specific. (granted this is a highly simplifed case). > known x, y, z, > > x = A+2B y= A+c z= A+B+C Can MatLab symbolically solve for A,B,C? "Michael" <michael.lisowski@gentex.com.extrachar> wrote in message news:gtep0d$3u2$1@fred.mathwork...

solve the system of linear equations
I used different iterative method defined as functions in Matlab such as: pcg, cgs, bicg,... However, non of them gives me a correct solution. I am usually dealing with above 500 equations. So, any suggestion? "Hosein" <Kalaeimh@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:gpc63d$jh3$1@fred.mathworks.com... >I used different iterative method defined as functions in Matlab such as: >pcg, cgs, bicg,... > > However, non of them gives me a correct solution. I am usually dealing > with above 500 equations. > So, any suggestion? Why can't you set it up as Ax=b and th...

solving systems of linear equations
Hi folks, I'm looking for code which solves systems of linear equations for TI's C67 processors. I have the "numerical recipes" code but I rather use an optmized code. Thanks, Gal galreuven@gmail.com wrote: > Hi folks, > I'm looking for code which solves systems of linear equations for TI's > C67 processors. > I have the "numerical recipes" code but I rather use an optmized code. What is "optimized"?? One thing that I recall from my Matrix Numerical Methods course a while ago, is that for an arbitrary matrix with no particular struc...

solving linear equation system
hi i wanted to solve a linear equation system it's something like below: for i=-k:n, for j=0:m if i>=0 f1(i,j)p[i][j]=f2(i,j)p[i-1][j]+f3(i,j)p[i+1][j+1]+f4(i,j)p[i][j-1] else f'1(i,j)p[i][j]=f2(i,j)p[i-1][j]+f3(i,j)p[i+1][j+1]+f4(i,j)p[i][j-1] i'm looking forward to your guidance ...

Solving a linear system with Matlab
Hi everyone, I have a linear equation of the form Ax = b which I solve for every pixel in an input image by the brilliant matlab \ operator. Right now, I am looping and solving for every pixel. The matrix A does not change from pixel to pixel. Is there a faster, better way to solve this rather than a loop through each pixel? Cheers, Luc luca.pamparana@gmail.com wrote in message <856cd3fd-519c-4ca1-9a0f-57e297a00426@y43g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>... > Hi everyone, > > I have a linear equation of the form Ax = b which I solve for every > pixel in an input image by the brill...

Non linear system solving
Dear Group, I'm a french student working on gears, particulary on gear engagement. To summerize quickly: The active surfaces of a gear teeth are made to ensure an homokynetic (homokinetic) transmission. We have, in theory, a1/a2=constant, with ai, the rotation angle of the part i. My work is to find this relation: First the surfaces are represented by equations ( a 3D Vector, with two parameters) in a local coordinate system. These parameters are u1 and v1 for the gear 1, u2 and v2 for the gear 2. To simulate the transmission between these gears, we write these equations in ...

Non Linear System Solving
Hi Everybody, I am pretty new with solving non-linear systems of equations in Matlab. Summarizing, I have a 4th order polynomials Pasc(v) = a1*v + a2*v^2 + a3*v^3 + a4*v^4 and then a set of equations Pasc(vc)=0; Pasc(vr)=1; Pasc(v1)=0.03; Pasc(v2)=0.4; Pasc(v3)=0.75; Pasc(v4)=0.97; The first two conditions are probably redundant. How can I perfom the appraisal of coefficients a1,a2,a3,a4 in Matlab making use of standard functions? I thank you all in advance. I have implemented this piece of code: Vin = 4; Vr = 14; V1 = Vin + 0.1*(Vr - Vin); V2 = Vin + 0.5*(Vr - V...

Solving a system of linear equations
Hi, I am new to Maple (9.01) and I am trying to solve a set of linear equations with the solve command. The command solve works the first time I excute the worksheet but it seems to be ignored when I try it a second time after changing the values of some constants. I have used the restart command prior to a second run, but this seems not to be the problem. I am sure I am doing something wrong. Is there a quick answer to what my mistake is? Thanks a lot for any comment; Barb. Here is a brief description of what I do; I have attached the WKS for completness: 1-) restart; 2-...