Speed of Matlab Builder for Excel vs. Excel Link?

Hi-

I have some fairly involved matlab functions that I wish to make
accesible in Excel.  I have the Excel Link and have used MLPutMatrix,
MLGetMatrix & MLEvalString to send my data from Excel into Matlab, run
my functions and get the results back.  This is however, rather slow.

I have read a little bit about the Matlab Builder for Excel and it
seems that this may be a better solution.  Would using this tool be
much faster than the Excel Link?  How about compared to the time of
running the function in the Matlab environment?

On a related note, is there another way to make a Matlab function
usuable within an Excel Spreadsheet?

Thank you,

Zachary
0
zharrison (10)

Hi Zachary,

> I have read a little bit about the Matlab Builder for Excel and it
> seems that this may be a better solution.  Would using this tool be
> much faster than the Excel Link?  How about compared to the time of
> running the function in the Matlab environment?

Well - this really depends on how intensive your Excel Application is with
its use of MATLAB functions.  My comparisons below are talking about the R14
Excel Link and Excel Builder.  If you have an earlier version this
description is not entirely on track.

If you only call a MATLAB function a "handful" of times in a session, then I
would stay with Excel Link.  The call into MATLAB from Excel Link is a bit
faster than the "initial" call into the Excel Builder DLL. However, with
MATLAB Builder for Excel 4.0 and above, the MCR instance is capable of
staying around and available after it gets initialized and hence additional
calls are much faster.

You also have the consideration of Deployment.  With Excel Link you need a
copy of MATLAB on each desktop that you intend to run this on.  With MATLAB
Builder for Excel you have free deployment to other machines.

> On a related note, is there another way to make a Matlab function
> usuable within an Excel Spreadsheet?

Not in any fast, efficient or pretty way worth trying in my opinion.

hope that helps,

--
Glenn A. Mulno
Quality Engineer - MATLAB QE