strange matlab symbolic behavior?

I am using Matlab 2006a.

y is a symbolic object, which was obtained by:

z=vpa(zs, 10);

p=vpa(ps, 10);

y=1+p*z';

Here "zs" and "ps" are symbolic objects.

(I have to do vpa on "z" and "p" first, otherwise the whole thing is
extremely slow. Anyway, I only need 10 digits of precision)

Here is one element of "y":

>> y(300)

ans =

..95692000694506875870254246903886

Now here is the ERROR:

>> double(y(300))

ans =

   0.00492224111378

>> vpa(y(300))

ans =

..492224111377750000222499982224e-2

What happened?

A 0.9569... value converted into "double" is  "0.0049222..."???

If I don't convert "y" into double, I cannot plot it:

>> plot(y)
??? Error using ==> plot
Conversion to double from sym is not possible.

>> plot(vpa(y))
??? Error using ==> plot
Conversion to double from sym is not possible.

---------------------------------------

Is there a way to convert y into floating point but still maintains its
correct value: 0.9569200069450...???

>> y(300)

ans =

..95692000694506875870254246903886

0
housing2006 (283)
12/29/2006 9:40:28 AM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 13 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

Strange MATLAB behavior
Can somebody explain me this ? How can I prevent this from happening? >> intersection_y > miny_seg ans = 1 >> intersection_y < miny_seg ans = 0 >> intersection_y == miny_seg ans = 0 >> intersection_y intersection_y = 200.0000 >> miny_seg miny_seg = 200 ---- Thanks Hi, read this : http://matlabwiki.mathworks.com/MATLAB_FAQ#Why_is_0.3-0.2-0.1_not_equal_to_zero_.28or_similar.29.3F J�r�me Hi, Thank you, Jerome. Jerome Briot <dutmatlab@yahoo.fr> wrote in message <ff51ge$22h$1@news.netfinity.fr>... > Hi...

MATLAB talking to MATLAB?
For my project, I need to have a client program (MATLAB executable) talking to a server program (also MATLAB executable) to query data. Is there any easy way to accomplish that? I appreciate any help that I can get on that. Thanks. Cheers, Hoi Oops, I forgot to mention. There are multiple clients querying the server, so I guess serial objects + remote serial port wouldn't work. "Hoi Wong" <wonghoi.ee@gmail.com_> wrote in message news:f3ald6$gg4$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > For my project, I need to have a client program (MATLAB executable) > talking to a ser...

Run Matlab ... from Matlab
Hello, Is there any limitation to run Matlab from Matlab, as a system command, on Linux platforms ? I tried to start Matlab, both using the ! syntax (!matlab&) or the system command (system('matlab&')), the Matlab splash screen appears, but the new Matlab session closes rapidly . When I do the same with a script of mine (system('matlab -r "myscript"&')), my script is being executed, but Matlab finally crashes . If I remove the &, it works well, but the first Matlab session is blocked till I close the second one . I run Matlab on a Linux 64bits pla...

Strange FFT Behavior in MATLAB
I think we can all agree that FFT { x*(n) } = X*(N-k), or the FFT of th conj of x(n) is the conj of the reversed version of the FFT of x(n). But in MATLAB if a= [1+2j 3+4j 5+6j 7+8j] then fft(conj(a)) = [16+20j -8+0j -4-4j 0-8j] and conj(fliplr(fft(a))) = [-8+0j -4-4j 0-8j 16+20j] Any ideas? Another engineer and I spent most of a day looking at th model before finding the fundamental problem. Cheers /Patrick This is due to the fact that MATLAB index starts at 1 while when you say FFT{x*(n)} = X*(N-k), you are assuming that k = 0,...,N-1. Note tha...

Matlab + MFC strange behavior
Hi all, I'm currently writing a MFC app in Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. The project includes some Matlab m-files translated to C++ into a DLL. The project settings are about the same as The MathWorks suggests for this setup. When I build a release version of my app, and select File->New, I'm suddenly asked which Document Template I want to use out of a list of two templates with the same name. I only have one Document Template in my app though. Choosing the first Template results in an 'Failed to create empty document' message and is followed by a segfault. Choosi...

Maple Toolbox for Matlab vs. Matlab Symbolic Toolbox?
What's the difference between Maple Toolbox for Matlab and Matlab Symbolic Math Toolbox? I saw Maplesoft website selling the former, and Mathworks selling the latter. Are they selling the same horse twice? In article <p9qdncFk5e7VVlHanZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@comcast.com>, Zeke Zeng <zzeng2@comcast.net> wrote: >What's the difference between Maple Toolbox for Matlab and Matlab Symbolic >Math Toolbox? >I saw Maplesoft website selling the former, and Mathworks selling the >latter. Are they selling the same horse twice? No, the Maple toolbox is m...

Matlab R2008a strange behavior
Hello, I use Matlab R2008a under Ubuntu linux. When I switch from another program(for example, emacs or another window of matlab) to the main command window or the editor window, my keyboard loses response: matlab still works but doesnt display anything I taped from keyboard. I need to click my mouse on the menu bar or others places to reactive it. This strange behavior just drives me mad. Can anyone here help? My java version: java-6-sun-1.6.0.06 Thanks! On Aug 27, 6:54=A0am, ettevy <han.wang1...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > I use Matlab R2008a under Ubuntu linux. When I switch...

Matlab + MFC strange behavior #2
Hi all, I'm currently writing a MFC app in Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. The project includes some Matlab m-files translated to C++ into a DLL. The project settings are about the same as The MathWorks suggests for this setup. When I build a release version of my app, and select File->New, I'm suddenly asked which Document Template I want to use out of a list of two templates with the same name. I only have one Document Template in my app though. Choosing the first Template results in an 'Failed to create empty document' message and is followed by a segfault. Choos...

Maple's Matlab link messes up my Matlab symbolic toolbox, any cure?
Hi there, The Maple 11's Matlab link toolbox is not compatible with the Matlab(2007a) 's Symbolic toolbox at all. I previously had a code using Symbolic toolbox and it gave correct results, but now after upgrade it to Maple 11's Matlab link toolbox the results got completely wrong. I have a feeling that in order to speed up calculation, the Maple 11 Matlab link toolbox does not use a full internal precision as before. Thus it achieves speed up than the previous versions. However this cutting corner doesn't do a correct job for my problem, in which I have to use the ful...

strange behavior of Matlab Compiler 4.2
Hi all, I am using Matlab compiler 4.2 with R14sp2 on Windows XP... The new concept in the matlab compiler is a little strange to me. My purpose of using the compiler to convert everything into an exe executable is first to bundle everything together, second to avoid my matlab programs being exposed to the users. The matlab compiler did bundle everything into an MCR, but it extracts the MCR into a directory when the exe file is executed... in this MCR directory, I found everything of my original ".m" files... thus the extracted MCR still expose my implementations to the user...

Matlab plots outside Matlab
I'm making an end-user application where I would like to use Matlab functionality both for calculation and plotting. Matlabs GUI builder guide does not satisfy my needs (no support for f.ex. internal frames and other nescessities), so I'm planning to compile my Matlab code and use other API (Java, QT or something) for GUI. My problem is then, that I loose access to the neat plotting commands availible under matlab GUI... Is there a way of integrating Matlabs plot functionality into another GUI system? - has it been done? - I appreciate any response! - P�l Berge ...

symbolic matlab
hello, i want to put a condition on symbolic object but i can't do it for example: syms x if x<0 f=x^2 else f=0 end; it doesn't works :( help please. On 1/17/2012 3:46 AM, imen wrote: > hello, > i want to put a condition on symbolic object but i can't do it for example: > syms x > if x<0 > f=x^2 > else f=0 > end; > it doesn't works :( > help please. It might help to assign an actual value to the symbol x before doing the logical check on it. Without a value, it is just a symbol that refers to itself and nothing more. --Nasser "...

Spawning matlab from within matlab
Hello all, I would like to spawn multiple matlab processes from an '.m' script. Meaning, run an m-file from a 'parent' Matlab that launches, say, 8 more 'children' matlab processes. I'd like to do it in such a way that the same m-file in the 'parent' is able to close down, or kill, all the 'children' processes. Any suggestions? Joe ...

Calling Compiled MATLAB from MATLAB
Hello everyone, How do I compile MATLAB M files into a form that can then be called from within the MATLAB interpreter? A roundabout way would seem to be to (somehow) Turn the matlab code into C (I think mcc does this), then compile this C code into MEX format and call that. Is there an easier way? I have the MATLAB compiler, so I just need to know what to do with it to get this to work. Thanks in advance, Sina sina.tootoonian wrote: > > > Hello everyone, > > How do I compile MATLAB M files into a form that can then be called > from within the MATLAB interpreter? A round...

matlab to matlab remote execution
Hi I have two win PCs running matlab 7. One is slow and other is a high spec fast PC. They are connected to LAN. The directory on fast PC where all matlab work takes place has been mounted as a drive on slow PC. Hence this directory on fast PC can be accessed from slow PC's matlab session. I want to let the user on slow PC run some computationally intense M scripts in his matlab session but execute them on fast PC. I tried usual unix like method. First installed telnet server on fast PC. Then used telnet client on slow PC to log on fast PC. If I attempt to start matlab in slow PC telnet ...

DLL creating by Matlab for Matlab
I would like to know if it is possible to convert several M-files into one DLL with Matlab (by using mcc or mex or other functions) and use this DLL with Matlab. How can I do that? I could create DLL with mcc -l xxx.m but I can't use this DLL with Matlab (error: "??? The function, script or class xxx cannot be indexed using {} or . indexing.") I have a project on Matlab with just M-files and I want to give this project to someone who want to use it on Matlab too, but I don't want to give him the source M algorithms. Moreover, I don't want to have an executable....

from Delphi to matlab and matlab to delphi
How to send vars from Delphi to Matlab ? and viceverse, from matlab to delphi ? thanks, it is dificult, and not found answers in the internet. jairo serrano wrote: > > > How to send vars from Delphi to Matlab ? and viceverse, from matlab > to delphi ? thanks, it is dificult, and not found answers in the > internet. When I want to use Matlab variables in another program, I write them to file. You can use comma separated files (csv). Try: > help csvwrite > help dlmwrite Works fine for me. Hope this helps, Niels jairo serrano wrote: > How to send vars from Delphi to...

Matlab engine with matlab R2010b

symbol in matlab
Hi I know how to type alpha in the matlab figure like \alpha. How about infinity? \infinity and \inf do not work. Thanks for any sugguestion. alex wrote: >Hi > >I know how to type alpha in the matlab figure like \alpha. How about >infinity? \infinity and \inf do not work. Thanks for any sugguestion. > > \infty is the right latex cmd. S. -- e-mail : Stephane.Mottelet@nospam.gnark.gnark alex wrote: > > > Hi > > I know how to type alpha in the matlab figure like \alpha. How > about > infinity? \infinity and \inf do not work. Thanks for any > sug...

matlab in JAVA or java in MATLAB?
Hi guys I am now experencing a great difficulty in the interation between java and matlab. I have an objective function written in JAVA with has method return an numerical number, i call it 'profit'. The nature of this obtive function (ObjFun.java) is that it takes an parameter input, say C, with different C value, the returned profit value is different. Eventually I want to find the optimized C value which produce the maximun profit (C will be under constrains). Initially I want to use linprog or fminsearch in matlab. So I tried the command in matlab that excutes my ObjFun.ja...

parallel matlab
Hi all, I'm going to work on a project involving a parallel version of MATLAB - I'm aware of various efforts like MATLAB-*P and so on Right now I need to read up on some material regarding MATLAB internals eg: How are the ATLAS(or is it BLAS) routines called in MATLAB? How does MATLAB's C code store information in memory, cache'ing etc? How is one to get at those? Do you know of any suitable reference(s)/resource(s)? Thank you very much, Aravind ...

Calling Matlab in C in Matlab
Hi everybody! My problem can be described as follows. I have a tool in Matlab that requires calling an optimisation algorithm in C. This algorithm consists of several C-files, one of which contains the function to be minimised (CFUNCTION), and another is the main algorithm file (CMAIN). Now what I want to do is to call Matlab from CFUNCTION or CMAIN and specify my custom function (MFUNCTION) to be minimised. So, I'm calling Matlab from C from Matlab. I'm a newbie in C and MEX files. Should I rewrite CMAIN as a MEX file and include CFUNCTION in this and then use mxCallMATLAB? Or can...

matlab
using MATLAB to to convert time domain data to frequncy tomain in side labview Hello Mans, Could you provide a bit more detail about the problems you are getting with converting time domain data to frequency domain data in LabVIEW. There are many different analysis and transform vi's within LabVIEW which you could use. Depending on what your trying to do, you may need to install the Math Interface Toolkit which allows you to communicate to MATLAB from LabVIEW. I don't know if you currently have this installed but if you don't, please find the link to the page on our website belo...

matlab
any one please can help me sploving the following question 1________Given the causal system y[n] =3D 0.9y[n-1] + x[n], find H(z) and sketch the pole-zero plot. See the functions roots.m and zplane.m. 2___ Plot the magnitude and phase of H(z) on the frequency axis from 0 =E2=80=93 =EF=81=B0, or normalized frequency 0 - 1, and label the graphs. S= ee the freqz.m command. hani_al_yazidi@hotmail.com wrote: > any one please can help me sploving the following question > > > 1________Given the causal system > > y[n] = 0.9y[n-1] + x[n], > > find H(z) and sketch...

Web resources about - strange matlab symbolic behavior? - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Behavior or behaviour (see spelling differences ) is the range of actions and mannerisms made by individuals, organisms , systems , or artificial ...

Behavior Design - behaviordesign.com
Behavior designs interactive systems.

Behavior Gap - Exploring the relationship between people and their money. Behavior Gap
Watch it now. Watch the latest videos by Carl Richards on money, emotion, and meaningful conversations.

Dog Behavior Tips -Dog Owners One Stop Shop and Tips
Come and get some free dog behavior tips. Training your new or older dog can sometimes be somewhat of a task if you are new to doing it. Let ...

Modeled Behavior
A quick announcement: we’ve moved the blog to Forbes. You’ll be able to find us there at blogs.forbes.com/modeledbehavior , and soon modeledbehavior.com ...

Online Behavior - Marketing Measurement & Optimization
This website is a source of knowledge for website owners and analysts looking to understand how their online customers behave . But that's not ...

BJ Fogg's Behavior Model
... In addition, he devotes at least half his time to industry projects and innovations, all of which focus on using technology to change behaviors ...

Plant Behavior
The Society of Plant Signaling and Behavior serves the community of scientists interested in sensory plant biology, signaling, information processing ...

Neutrinos continue run of odd behavior at Daya Bay
... provides further examples of these strange particles refusing to act like we'd expect them to. This evidence further supports strange behavior ...

Avast Wi-Fi Hack Experiment Demonstrates “Reckless” Behavior of Mobile World Congress Attendees
Avast today reveals results of a Wi-Fi hack experiment conducted at the Barcelona Airport the weekend before Mobile Wobile World Congress to ...