Strange ode45 behavior

Hi all,

I just tried this Matlab code:

func = @(t, y) humps(t*y);
[t y] = ode45(func, [0, 7.5], 1);
plot(t, y);

Changing the upper limit of the time range to 7 or slightly decreasing the tolerance drastically changes the solution (at least on my system, R2010b). I wonder why.
I would think that this ode is neither stiff nor unstable in any other sense. The solvers ode113 and ode23 do not show this strange behavior. Even the simplest Euler method with step size 0.01 gets a better solution. Can anyone explain, why ode45 produces such a strange solution in this case?

Thanks
Klaus

0
kj_news (2)
9/11/2011 3:08:07 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 17 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

"Klaus" wrote in message <j4iisn$9vq$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
>I wonder why.
> I would think that this ode is neither stiff nor unstable in any other sense.

Mathematically not, but I just looks at the HUMPS function and it has two big peaks, and the rhs is almost "not lipschitzian" and probably ode45 has the hard time to cope with the peaks.

Intentionally HUMPS is created in order to show the robustness of QUAD but fails ODE45.

Bruno
0
b.luong5955 (6401)

Strange behavior
Does anyone have clue as to what this means? OS is 5.0.6 with patches and Merge 5.3.7c WARNING: Merge: _M_vpg_vpte_invalidate - couldn't find vptep F1B6E400 Fri Oct 29 15:11:13 2004 WARNING: bufcall - Could not allocate STREAMS event All tcp activity halted and this kept repeating on the console. One merge and then the screen would roll over with the bufcall message. I could get the login from the console, but it wouldn't let me in. I had to power cycle to recover. TIA Ron "Ronald J Marchand" <ron@rojomar.com> wrote in message news:97083$41863e60$42a6716f$29779@msgid.meganewsservers.com... > Does anyone have clue as to what this means? > OS is 5.0.6 with patches and Merge 5.3.7c > > WARNING: Merge: _M_vpg_vpte_invalidate - couldn't find vptep F1B6E400 > Fri Oct 29 15:11:13 2004 > WARNING: bufcall - Could not allocate STREAMS event > > All tcp activity halted and this kept repeating on the console. One merge > and then the screen would roll over with the bufcall message. I could get > the login from the console, but it wouldn't let me in. I had to power cycle > to recover. > > TIA > Ron > > Hi Ron, It looks like you're running out of streams. If you're running samba, you could have the same problem as I had. I don't know whether this has been submitted in later versions of samba (or later versions of SCO) Hope this link to my previous posts helps. http://groups.google....

Strange behavior in Trash
Hi Group, I'm on KDE 3.2.1 and my trash folder has suddenly lost the ability to restore files. The only thing in the context menu on files in trash is "properties". I'm finding several bug reports from people who want a restore function for trashed files, but I'm certain it was there only yesterday... was it or wasn't it? In any case I want it back! I've tried making a new user and logging on in a fresh KDE environment, but there's still no such function. Can anybody help? regards, Niels ...

Strange (to me) behavior in sendmail
Greetings! I'm running Fedora 9 at home, with whatever version of sendmail Fedora supplies. Until recently, I was using it to send weekly updates on machine status to counter.li.org. Just today, I went there and noticed that they'd not received an update in over a month. Concerned, I started looking around and found this in /var/log/maillog: Oct 27 13:02:18 khorlia sendmail[10628]: m9RK2HDi010628: to=machine- registration@counter.li.org, ctladdr=joe (500/500), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=35695, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1] I presume that this means that something's changed, but I don't know what. Normally, I have my regular email sent through my hosting company's servers with authentication. Would somebody please post a pointer to instructions on how I can tell sendmail to do this. (I know just enough about sendmail to know that you have to be very careful in changing the config, not enough to know what I'm doing, but just enough to be aware of my ignorance.) -- Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns: http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Windows!" On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:42:03 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote: > One is that I don't have a real domain name for my computer and that > causes all sorts of problems. I do have my own domain, zeff.us and my machine's full host name is khorlia.zeff.us. ...

Strange speedup behavior
I'm a student working on parallel algorithms (using MPI). I'm seeing this strange speedup behavior. I'm getting speedup greater then number of processors. My sequential algorithm is the known graph algorithm and a parallel algorithm is totally different with same end-results. (The parallel algorithm is not just the "parallelized" version of the sequential algorithm.) In this case is it possible to get speedup greater then the number of processors? Thanks, Ann [comp.parallel moderator: The topic term is "superlinear speed up", and it has been a source of past flame wars in c.p. and in the written litature. More properly it should be called "superunitary" [an earlier post of mine cited as a citation in the literature. But as Jones and others have pointed in from the early 1980s, when it was first observed, "speed up" is the wrong word; she suggests "execution time" should it really should be "superunitary execution time." None of this has stuck. Regardless of the terms used, it's a great sounding marketing idea, but it's not something to bank a future one. The behavior will occur in certain very good conditions in certain classes of algorithms.] -- Ann wrote: > I'm a student working on parallel algorithms (using MPI). > > I'm seeing this strange speedup behavior. I'm getting speedup greater > then number of processors. > > My sequential algorithm is the kn...

Strange SQL behavior
Folks, I have a query which selects sales quantities and dollars over a date range, pretty straightforward. When I run it to retrieve a small number of results it goes really quick. Then I retrieve a few more, it's fine. Then I retrieve a few more, fine, really quick. Once I get over a certain number of records retrieved, say 270 or so it takes forever. So, I go from a few seconds to forever, I can't figure it out. What I'm thinking is possibly the as400 does some weird indexing or something if it is going to retrieve a lot of rows. Does this make sense? Thanks, Julien On Nov 30, 1:32=A0pm, Julien Mills <jul...@amorosobaking.com> wrote: > Folks, > > I have a query which selects sales quantities and dollars over a > date range, pretty straightforward. > > When I run it to retrieve a small number of results it goes really > quick. =A0Then I retrieve a few more, it's fine. =A0Then I retrieve a > few more, fine, really quick. =A0Once I get over a certain number > of records retrieved, say 270 or so it takes forever. =A0 > > So, I go from a few seconds to forever, I can't figure it out. =A0What > I'm thinking is possibly the as400 does some weird indexing or > something if it is going to retrieve a lot of rows. =A0Does this > make sense? > > Thanks, > > Julien How big is the file in question?? Are you going after the LF or the PF. Use Visual Explain tool, through iSeries Navigat...

Strange undo behavior

Strange findfirst behavior
I have a combo box that finds a record on the form, and for the most part it works fine. But, on occasion it brings me to the record just before the one I am looking for. If I compact and repair the database it works correctly again. Sometimes I have to compact and repair twice. Any help would be appreciated It sounds as if something is corrupting the index on the field you are doing the search on. Please see this link for information on avoiding corruption. http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-25.html -- Wayne Morgan MS Access MVP "Shyguy" <shyguy@aol.com> wrote in message news:j88cq1lf21ndsq90b49t5e1oqlll08ovr0@4ax.com... >I have a combo box that finds a record on the form, and for the most > part it works fine. But, on occasion it brings me to the record just > before the one I am looking for. If I compact and repair the database > it works correctly again. Sometimes I have to compact and repair > twice. > > Any help would be appreciated > Thanks for the link. I'll have to go through it later. ;-) On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 04:45:03 GMT, "Wayne Morgan" <comprev_gothroughthenewsgroup@hotmail.com> wrote: >It sounds as if something is corrupting the index on the field you are doing >the search on. Please see this link for information on avoiding corruption. > >http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-25.html ...

Strange behavior #2
Hi folks I have an C# app. connecting to a MS-ACCESS database with several tables. In a specific situations I have problems with a DateTime type in a table. The problem is when I want to select records from a table in a specific period the day and month seems to be swapped in the query, but it only happens when the swapping gives a valid date eg. 12/10/2005 (12. Oct. 2005) returns records on 10/12/2005 (10. Dec. 2005) 23/05/2005 (23. May 2005) returns records correctly since 05/23/2005 is not a valid date with danish regional settings. The query is: "SELECT [ID], [Activity], [BeginDate] FROM TimeReg WHERE [BeginDate] >= #" + _start + "# " AND [BeginDate] <= #" + _end + "#" _start and _end are of type DateTime My PC in running with danish regional settings and if I shift to en-US settings in the control panel, this fixes the problem, but that is not a solution for me. Any suggestions to solve this problem Thanks in advance. Kim W. Hey Kim, First, the access news groups may be of more assistance than here; JetSQL in Access is different than TransactSQL in SQL Server, and they may have some more insight into this. Obviously, you're running into transation issues because of the formatting of dates; in the US, 23/05/2005 is not a valid date (since our date standards default to mm/dd/yyyy). That would explain why #12/10/2005# would return records in December, because that's the US standard. As to how to fi...

Strange mysql_fetch_array() behavior
Hi, I have the following code: $resultSet = mysql_query($sqlString); $numResults = mysql_num_rows($resultSet); echo "Num Results = " . $numResults . "<br/>"; for ($i = 0; $i < $numResults; $i++) { $row = mysql_fetch_array($resultSet); echo "i = " . $i . "<br/>"; foreach ($row as $key=>$r) { echo $key . " = " . $r . "<br/>"; } } When I run the query at the MySQL Command prompt, I get exactly one record, which is correct. However, when I echo the key value pairs, it is printing the values twice, once with a numeric key (index) and then again with the proper key name. For example, here is the first bit of the output: i = 0 0 = 2 ApptID = 2 1 = 1 CustID = 1 2 = 1 DogID = 1 3 = 2 4 = 12:00:00 ApptTime = 12:00:00 5 = 03:00:00 PickupTime = 03:00:00 6 = 1 7 = Mac Name = Mac 8 = 1 9 = Kevin and Erika FName = Kevin and Erika 10 = Holleran LName = Holleran I just want the key=>pairs! How do I get rid of the index thing?! Thanks for any help. Kevin KDawg44 wrote: > Hi, > > I have the following code: > > $resultSet = mysql_query($sqlString); > $numResults = mysql_num_rows($resultSet); > echo "Num Results = " . $numResults . "<br/>"; > for ($i = 0; $i < $numResults; $i++) { > $row = mysql_fetch_array($resultSet); > echo "i = " . $i . "<br/>"; > foreach ($row as $...

strange behavior with SP
Hi everyone, I got this situation, I got a stored procedure that for some reason after using it for some period of time (maybe a day or two) stops sending results, but if I change the position of the condition (where) on the first line then begins to work ok. This solution works a day or two but the issue arise again and I must change the line to it's original version, completing this weird cycle. have you ever seen this kind of behavior before? The first commented line is what i need to change time to time... --Where (Cr.ID_Credito = @ID_Credito Or @ID_Credito = 0) Where (@ID_Credito = 0 Or Cr.ID_Credito = @ID_Credito) And (Co.Rut_Cliente = @Rut_Cliente Or @Rut_Cliente = '') And (Cr.Estado_Credito = @Estado_Credito Or @Estado_Credito = '') And (Cr.Confirmado= @Confirmado or @Confirmado='') And (Cr.Estado_Credito in ('CP','AN','CE','CA','EO','AC','CO','CR','CD','JU')) And (Cr.Rut_Empresa = @Rut_Empresa Or @Rut_Empresa = '') and (Co.Codigo_Local=@Codigo_Local or @Codigo_Local=0) and (Cr.Automotora=@Rut_Automotora or @Rut_Automotora='') and (PE.Rut_persona=@Rut_Persona or @Rut_Persona='') and (Cr.Confirmado = @Confirmado or @Confirmado='') and (Cr.Garantizado = @Garantizado or @Garantizado='') Thanks. Diego. ASP, Com+ SQL Server 2005 SP3 Wishmaster ("sysadmin.rock[SINESTO]"@gmail.com)...

Strange IE behavior
I've already resolved this for my part, but I think others may need to know about it, in case something similar happens to them. As part of a website development, I wrote a PHP file which worked just fine under Firefox and Opera, but dropped the session under IE. It took me ages to track this down. Here's what happened. The URL for the main page was set up so that if it was called without GET parameters, it would start a new session. In the normal course of operation, the main page gets called back with a GET parameter of the form '? mode=something', which was used by the PHP code to determine the context in which the page should be run. This worked fine under Firefox etc., but failed miserably and frustratingly under IE. After months of effort, I discovered the explanation. IE was requesting the page twice for each call, once with the GET parameter in the URL, and the second time without any GET parameters. The server handled each of these requests as you might expect -- it executed the PHP code twice, the second time without the GET parameters, which caused it to terminate the current session. There was no evidence of the second call anywhere on the screen -- it's entirely unclear to me what purpose the second request might have served. Once I figured this out, I worked around it. So be warned. Under at least some circumstances, whenever you (or one of your users) requests a PHP page, IE will request it twice, which at the very least will cause a perfo...

Strange asort behavior
Is anyone able to explain me what's going on here? I really can't understand! Create a text file containing just two lines: 1000 10D0 Then use the following simple awk program against it: { a[++cnt]=$0; } END { b[1]="1000"; b[2]="10D0"; if (a[1]==b[1]) print "They are equal!"; if (a[2]==b[2]) print "They are equal!"; for (i=1;i<=cnt;i++) { print i,a[i],b[i]; } asort(a); asort(b); print "Sorted!"; for (i=1;i<=2;i++) { print i,a[i],b[i]; } } Now, the output of this program is: They are equal! They are equal! 1 1000 1000 2 10D0 10D0 Sorted! 1 10D0 1000 2 1000 10D0 As you can see, the b array seems to be sorted correctly, while the a array is inverted! I'm really unable to figure out what's happening here... can you kindly help me? Cld. Cld wrote: > Now, the output of this program is: > > They are equal! > They are equal! > 1 1000 1000 > 2 10D0 10D0 > Sorted! > 1 10D0 1000 > 2 1000 10D0 > > As you can see, the b array seems to be sorted correctly, while the a > array is inverted! > > I'm really unable to figure out what's happening here... can you > kindly help me? > > Cld. Works for me with gawk 3.1.8: They are equal! They are equal! 1 1000 1000 2 10D0 10D0 Sorted! 1 1000 1000 2 10D0 10D0 On 14 Dic, 12:08, pk <p...@pk.invalid> wrote: > > Works for me with gawk 3.1.8: > That's really interesti...

classes: strange behavior
Hello, I have a problem with code like this (PHP 5.1.4): fila A.php: ======= include(B.php); class document extends obj { ......... } file B.php: ======= $GLOBALS['x']->new we(); function __autoload($class_name) { ...here is the code to load classes... } file C.php ======= class we extends obj { private $document; function __construct() { $this->document = new document(); } } The problem is that after loading A.php into browser, PHP cannot find document class which is defined in the A.php file! The problem is even more strange - if document class doesnt extends obj class than everything is ok. (The problem exact is that __autoload special function is called when in file C.php constructor of class we try to make the document object (all other classes like obj has been already loaded). Do you have any idea what is wrong with that? Paul Paul Czubilinski wrote: > Hello, > > I have a problem with code like this (PHP 5.1.4): > > fila A.php: > ======= > > include(B.php); > class document extends obj { > ......... > } > > file B.php: > ======= > > $GLOBALS['x']->new we(); > > function __autoload($class_name) { > ...here is the code to load classes... > } > > file C.php > ======= > > class we extends obj { > > private $document; > > function __construct() { > $this->document = new document(); > } > > } > > >...

scanf: strange behavior?
Hi, compiling and running this code: #include <stdio.h> int main(int, const char**) { char c[2]; printf("%d\n", sscanf("A", "%c%c", c, c + 1)); return 0; } gives: 1 in GNU libc (on Linux) 1 in Borland C++ 3.1 (on DOS) -1 in djgpp It's conformant with the docs: "If input ends, or if there is any input failure before the first item is converted and assigned, `EOF' is returned.", so it's not to be called a 'bug', but... Do you think it's a standard violation, or just a "difference", ie. behavior not specified by POSIX, ANSI or other (involved) authority? Thanks, -- Egon Eckert, Heaven Industries, s.r.o. E-mail: egon@heaven.industries.cz > > #include <stdio.h> ... #include <stdarg.h> ? ..?? > > int main(int, const char**) > { > char c[2]; > printf("%d\n", sscanf("A", "%c%c", c, c + 1)); > return 0; > } > > gives: > > 1 in GNU libc (on Linux) > 1 in Borland C++ 3.1 (on DOS) > -1 in djgpp > > It's conformant with the docs: "If input ends, or if there is any > input failure before the first item is converted and assigned, `EOF' > is returned.", so it's not to be called a 'bug', but... > > Do you think it's a standard violation, or just a "difference", > ie. behavior not specified by POSIX, ANSI or other (involved) > autho...

cisco836 strange behavior
Hi list, I just bought a new cisco836 and after instalation some problems occur: some of the computers can�t send mail with outlook, but works fine with express some http pages won't open This only happens in some computers and I already tried with 2 different IOS versions 12.3.2.XC2 and 12.3.4.T4. If I disconnect the cisco and connect the older router (SMC) everything works just fine in a second. Cisco config: version 12.3 no service pad service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log datetime msec service password-encryption ! logging buffered 51200 warnings enable secret 5 $1$WJeR$yR0.2jRinPueMKi5cJXMH0 ! no aaa new-model ip subnet-zero no ip source-route ! ! no ip bootp server ip audit notify log ip audit po max-events 100 no ftp-server write-enable ! ! ! no crypto isakmp enable ! ! ! ! interface Ethernet0 ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0 no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp ip nat inside ip tcp adjust-mss 1452 no cdp enable ! interface BRI0 no ip address no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp shutdown no cdp enable ! interface ATM0 no ip address no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp no atm ilmi-keepalive dsl operating-mode auto ! interface ATM0.1 point-to-point pvc 0/35 pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1 ! ! interface FastEthernet1 no ip address duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet2 no ip address duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet3 no ip address duplex a...

Strange browser behavior?
Here's something interesting. I found a web archive on my drive. I double-clicked it and it chose to launch MIE, no doubt because the file dates back to before I had Safari on my machine. (Sure enough, it was created 19 September 2004.) MIE had no trouble going straight to the URL in question, <http://www.wfsd.net/wfsd/modules.php?name=Sections&op=listarticles&seci d=14> Because, these days, i prefer to use only Safari, i thought I would pen the same URL in Safari then save as a new web archive. Guess what � Safari could not find that same page on the web. Exploring further (he he pun) I quite both browsers and relaunched them. Inderting the URL in the Address field produced no page in both browsers. In other words, MIE can find the address if I click the file but it cannot find the exact same address if I insert the URl into the address field, copied-and-pasted from the other MIE window. Strange or what? In article <280420061121054181%BusyGuy@Work.ru>, BusyGuy <BusyGuy@Work.ru> wrote: > In other words, MIE can find the address if I click the file but it > cannot find the exact same address if I insert the URl into the address > field, copied-and-pasted from the other MIE window. You must have the archive stored locally somewhere. -- W. Oates Teal'c: He is concealing something. O'Neil: Like what? Teal'c: I am unsure, he is concealing it. In article <warren.oates-2987FC.07332728042006@nr-tor01.bellnexxia.n...

Strange behavior with comment
The following gives an error, m = 4; k = 3; IntegerPartitions[ m, {k}]; (* Get all integer partitions that are exactly of length k *) Permutations /@ %; (* Get all permutations of the integer partitions *) Flatten[%, 1] (* Flatten the list *) Apply[Multinomial, %, {1}] (* Apply Multinomial to each element of the list % *) ns = Plus @@ % Flatten::normal: Nonatomic expression expected at position 1 in Flatten[3,1]. >> Flatten[3, 1] However, if I remove the comment from the entry in the line before Flatten, then it gives the correct results, m = 4; k = 3; IntegerPartitions[m, {k}]; (* Get all integer partitions that are exactly of length k *) Permutations /@ %; Flatten[%, 1] (* Flatten the list *) Apply[Multinomial, %, {1}] (* Apply Multinomial to each element of the list % *) ns = Plus @@ % {{2, 1, 1}, {1, 2, 1}, {1, 1, 2}} {12, 12, 12} 36 Why does this happen? ...

Autonumber strange behavior?
A record of a table with an autonumber field was accidentally deleted. From the backup table I made a new table with only the deleted record. Then with an add query I added that record to the original table. After that, when adding a new record, the autonumber continued with the last ID value (from the add query) + 1 there by overriding already existing records. Is this WAD? What should be best to do in such a situation? Thanks, john This is a known bug in JET. See: Fixing AutoNumbers when Access assigns negatives or duplicates at: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-40.html The article describes the causes, and how to reset the Seed of the AutoNumber. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "john" <hgf@neckso.com> wrote in message news:31f4e$47026136$5354c91b$30439@cache110.multikabel.net... >A record of a table with an autonumber field was accidentally deleted. From >the backup table I made a new table with only the deleted record. Then with >an add query I added that record to the original table. After that, when >adding a new record, the autonumber continued with the last ID value (from >the add query) + 1 there by overriding already existing records. > > Is this WAD? > > What should be best to do in such a situation? > > Thanks, > john "john" <hgf@neckso...

Strange behavior of CD
Bonjour les gens, something strange happens here: My current RISC PC delivers the sound of a music CD by the 3,5 mm port of the CDROM drive. Is it possible to turn the signal to go out by the 3,5 mm port at the back of the box or by the speaker like all other sound of the machine? Many thanks in advantage. A. -- Sent from a Kinetic Risc PC, RISC OS 4.02 Venusberg, European Alps (693 m above sea level) http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/ On 3 May, Alex' A. Interrants wrote: > My current RISC PC delivers the sound of a music CD by the 3,5 mm port > of the CDROM drive. Is it possible to turn the signal to go out by the > 3,5 mm port at the back of the box or by the speaker like all other > sound of the machine? You should have an audio cable from the rear of the CD-ROM drive to an audio header on the motherboard - as I recall it is on the right hand side of the motherboard, alongside the power supply (looking from the front). If the cable is present, make sure it hasn't been partially disconnected. If you don't have one, it's a standard part. -- Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen ----------------------------------------------------- You can't get the wood, you know! "Alex' A. Interrants" <bavariasound@usenet.cnntp.org> wrote: > Bonjour les gens, > > something strange happens here: My current RISC PC delivers the sound of a > music CD by the 3,5 mm port of the CDROM drive...

Very strange keyboard behavior
Please start Visual Basic (Standard EXE) and press F5. You see an empty form. 1) Press and hold 'CTRL' + 'A' and then press 'F1'. You shouldn't hear any beep. I think that's normal. 2) Press and hold 'CTRL' + 'X' and then press 'F1'. Do you hear a beep? I do and also Form_KeyDown doesn't recognize 'F1'. Does anyone has any idea why this behavior and how I can get rid of it? Stefan PS: Same problem with 'CTRL' + 'C' and 'F2'. On 9 Aug, 21:09, Stefan Mueller <seekw...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Please start Visual Basic (Standard EXE) and > press F5. You see an empty form. > 1) Press and hold 'CTRL' + 'A' and then press > 'F1'. You shouldn't hear any beep. I think > that's normal. 2) Press and hold 'CTRL' + > 'X' and then press 'F1'. Do you hear a beep? > I do and also Form_KeyDown doesn't recognize > 'F1'. Does anyone has any idea why this > behavior and how I can get rid of it? All this is normal behaviour, Stephan. It is the normal behaviour of a standard keyboard. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Visual Basic. I'm not sure whether it is totally down to Windows itself either, and I suspect the behaviour is partly (or even wholly) due to the keyboard hardware. It's a very long time since I was involved with hardware, but I suspect that the key logic actually reads the key...

Strange iPod sync behavior
iPod Touch iOS 4 MacPro Lion I listen to a lot of extended mp3 interviews often running about 65 MB each. When I sync them to my iPod, they indicate I am moving 95 files to my iPod when I am only adding one or two. The good news is that the sync runs through the mystery ones in less than two seconds so it is not really a problem. Just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening? ...

Very strange file upload behavior
I tried to search for this issue on the group, but don't even know where to start, so here's my problem. We have a very simple form which has a file upload box. Upon submit the file should be uploaded (using the copy function, from the server's temp directory to our final directory), the database should be updated, and the user should be notified of success/failure. In that order. When we test it at the office, and even from a dial-up at home, everything is fine. When my client tries to do it from his cable modem connection here is what happens: He chooses the file on the form, clicks submit and the page churns away for a long while. Then, it just goes back to the form page. In the meantime, the file has been moved to the server's temp directory, but does not get to our final directory. The database gets updated (which should only happen after the copy function), but no confirmation message is given. Here is some truncated code: function upload_file() { global $target_dir,$target_file; $upload_temp = $_FILES['filename_new']['tmp_name']; $upload_file = $_FILES['filename_new']['name']; $target_dir = "../downloads"; $target_file = $target_dir . "/" . $upload_file; if (!copy($upload_temp, $target_file)) { echo "<h4>Failed to upload file...<h4><br>\n"; die(); } else { echo "<h4>Uploaded File Successfully...<h4><br>\n"; return...

strange combo box behavior
This is wierd: A client of mine has a combo box on a form that has a list of school names. She has found a wierd error when she tries to search for a specific school. She is trying to type in "Communal School of Boston" in the combo box. After she typed "Comm", the contents of the box showed "Comm. on School Reform", and the cursor was inserted just before the period, such that if she continued trying to type "Communal", the entry in the box turned into "Communal. on School Reform". I thought there might be some wierd issue Access was having with the period, so I updated the name of "Comm. on School Reform" to "Committee on School Reform". Now, when she tries to type "Communal", the same thing happens as before, except instead of before the period the cursor is now inserted before the "i" in "Committee". So she will see something like this in the combo box: "Communalittee on School Reform". To complicate things, this seems to only be happening on that record (as far as we can tell, they have hundreds). This behavior is not happening on another machine, so maybe it is OS specific. Her machine is XP, DB is Access 2000. The other machine I tried it on is Win2K. But I have XP and it's not happening on my machine. Any ideas as to what could cause this? Thanks in advance, Jon LaRosa ...

strange bright/blink behavior
Hi all. I hope someone can help me with this code: /***** foo.c *****/ #include <conio.h> #include <pc.h> int main() { unsigned char oldScreen; oldScreen = ScreenAttrib; ScreenAttrib |= 0x80; /* sets blink bit */ putch('a'); ScreenAttrib = oldScreen; return 0; } /*****************/ I compile with: gcc foo.c -o foo.exe My DJGPP installation includes gcc 1.3.1 and djdev203 June 2002 refresh. OS is Windows 98 SE. When I launch foo.exe, if the DOS prompt is located at the bottom of the screen, so that executing foo.exe causes the screen to scroll, all new lines that are printed also look as they had the blink bit set. Typing 'cls' at the prompt restores the screen. I tried normvideo(), with no results. I tried both executing foo.exe in plain DOS or in a Windows DOS box and I saw the same behavior. What may be happening? Regards, Jo. Giorgio Medeot <gmedeot@yahoo.it> wrote: > When I launch foo.exe, if the DOS prompt is located at the bottom of the > screen, so that executing foo.exe causes the screen to scroll, all new > lines that are printed also look as they had the blink bit set. I suspect that's because the effect of updating "ScreenAttrib" only takes place if you actually output a character. I think you should rather use one of the other <conio.h> functions instead of putch(), which take the attribute as one of their arguments, and leave ScreenAttrib alone. See, e.g., ScreenPutChar(). ...

Web resources about - Strange ode45 behavior - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Behavior or behaviour (see spelling differences ) is the range of actions and mannerisms made by individuals, organisms , systems , or artificial ...

Behavior Design - behaviordesign.com
Behavior designs interactive systems.

Behavior Gap - Exploring the relationship between people and their money. Behavior Gap
Watch it now. Watch the latest videos by Carl Richards on money, emotion, and meaningful conversations.

Dog Behavior Tips -Dog Owners One Stop Shop and Tips
Come and get some free dog behavior tips. Training your new or older dog can sometimes be somewhat of a task if you are new to doing it. Let ...

Modeled Behavior
A quick announcement: we’ve moved the blog to Forbes. You’ll be able to find us there at blogs.forbes.com/modeledbehavior , and soon modeledbehavior.com ...

Online Behavior - Marketing Measurement & Optimization
This website is a source of knowledge for website owners and analysts looking to understand how their online customers behave . But that's not ...

BJ Fogg's Behavior Model
... In addition, he devotes at least half his time to industry projects and innovations, all of which focus on using technology to change behaviors ...

Plant Behavior
The Society of Plant Signaling and Behavior serves the community of scientists interested in sensory plant biology, signaling, information processing ...

Report: Bots Are Getting More Sophisticated and Mimic Human Behavior Online
... and CEO Rami Essaid noted in a statement that Advanced Persistent Bots were becoming a much bigger problem. APBs can mimic human behavior, load ...

From daredevil to chicken: Scientists find off-switch for risky behavior
... those same brain cells can lead to gambling problems. The study also offers a neurological explanation for differences in risk-taking behavior ...