Text Extraction from Color .gif image

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a few .gif images which are screenshots of a terminal window with a table of information; thus they are on a black background with white/yellow text, alpha-numeric.

I've tried the OCR file in the File Exchange (file 18169) but when it reads my color image and converts it to greyscale, the image is barely readable.

I know nothing about image processing; I use Matlab heavily for statistical analysis and it seems the only way I can get this data is via these screenshots, and I'm trying to avoid hand-entering these tables of data.

But this seems like something that is relatively easy to do - these are computer generated fonts on a high-contrast background. I'm hoping that there is a way to either more crisply convert it to a white background with black text image for the OCR file exchange program or an entirely separate program to do it. Is there?
0
Reply Jesse 11/18/2010 3:00:08 AM

See related articles to this posting

Just make your own monochrome image.  Try taking one of the color
channels
redChannel = rgbImage(:,:,1);
greenChannel = rgbImage(:,:,2);
blueChannel = rgbImage(:,:,3);
Use whichever one gives you the best contrast.

0
Reply ImageAnalyst 11/18/2010 3:53:07 AM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

text extraction from color images using dwt
sir , can u please help me in my project " text extraction from color images using dwt ". i am not able to understand the projection profiles . i am also not able to remove non text regions clearly from the color image ...

color image feature extraction from segmented image
hello everyone, I do not have any idea how to extract feature from a segmented image without converting it to binary image. Does anybody can give me some instruction? It is important for my case to extract the feature without converting to binary. regards and thanks "ishant" wrote in message <kocet4$28h$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > hello everyone, > I do not have any idea how to extract feature from a segmented image without converting it to binary image. Does anybody can give me some instruction? > It is important for my case to extract the feature w...

How to find difference between gif (Single frame GIF image)and gif animations(moving gif images)
My project in http proxy server(using tcp/ip) so how to find it gif (Single frame GIF image) or gif animation. what is the difference in there body and header content. For GIF animations starting of body there gif89az is it correct? On 24 May 2006 03:58:06 -0700, "sandeep" <sandeep.k@incore.in> wrote: >My project in http proxy server(using tcp/ip) so how to find it gif >(Single frame GIF image) or gif animation. what is the difference in >there body and header content. > >For GIF animations starting of body there gif89az is it correct? An animated GIF is a...

Printing text, image, text, image, ...
I have bunch of text files (about 20 lines) and bunch of image files. Is there a clean way to print text, then image, then text, then image, ...., as though there are in single continuous document? -- William Park <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>, Toronto, Canada ThinFlash: Linux thin-client on USB key (flash) drive http://home.eol.ca/~parkw/thinflash.html BashDiff: Super Bash shell http://freshmeat.net/projects/bashdiff/ ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.] On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:01:01 -0400, William Park staggered into the Black Sun and said: > I have [a] bu...

How to extract pixel values of a colored image into an array and then to convert the array into an image
Hi all I am pretty new in Matlab. Plz help me with the following issues 1. say i have the image lena_color.gif 2. i want to convert it into an array of pixels(16 bits) so that i can convert it into binary 1's and 0's fo further manipulation. A two dimension array wud be preferred as in C wherein first dimension contains each element of the array and second dimension specifies the length which in this case is 16 bits. 3. After doing some manipulation bit wise,i want to see how the image has turned up. Is this possible? Any kind of suggestion will be appreciate gavishna shah w...

Color extraction from images
Dear all, I have a projects, whose first step is to extract color objects from an image. As you can see from the images (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8178/8002491905_d48c72e8f2_b.jpg, http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8318/8002499083_6df1272874_b.jpg), I want to extract the red (or bright) curve bands. I have tried different extraction methods (e.g. OTSU method, adaptive thresholding, or fixed thresholds) in different color spaces (e.g. RGB, HSV, Lab), but they did not work well or do not have strong robustness. Could anybody give any suggestions? Thank you very much. Best regards, Jani ...

Index color image to true-color image
Hello every one, I am looking for algorithms which convert index color image into true-color image and vice versa.Any website where I can find them?. Thanksin advance Niranjan Niranjan wrote: > > > Hello every one, > > I am looking for algorithms which convert index color image into > true-color image and vice versa.Any website where I can find them?. > Thanksin advance > Niranjan Hi, If you have the IP toolbox... edit ind2rgb OR edit rgb2ind if you do not have IP toolbox (or, perhaps even if you do), you may find useful information by looking through <http:/...

Text Extraction from an image
Hi iam doing my M.Phil and my research area is Image Processing and specifically "TEXT EXTRACTION FROM IMAGES".. Can u give me some ideas based on this.. Thanx in advance "C.Radhiya Devi" <radhiya86@gmail.com> wrote in message <h07oup$p1q$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi > > iam doing my M.Phil and my research area is Image Processing and specifically "TEXT EXTRACTION FROM IMAGES".. > > Can u give me some ideas based on this.. > > Thanx in advance Hi Radhiya.. I've did a bit research in that field myself, the link bel...

Extract text from image
Hi everyone, how can i extract text from an image? I have worked on a plate number image and after all operations I have an labeling image with only the number. Now, how i can extraxt the number plate? thanks a lot, bye On Dec 26, 10:08=A0am, "Davide longo" <davideliu...@libero.it> wrote: > Hi everyone, > how can i extract text from an image? > I have worked on a plate number image and after all operations I have an = labeling image with only the number. Now, how i can extraxt the number plat= e? > thanks a lot, > > bye --------------------...

Text Extraction from image
Hi iam doing my M.Phil and my research area is Image Processing and specifically "TEXT EXTRACTION FROM IMAGES".. Can u give me some ideas based on this.. from the papers already i gone through i can able to understand only the THEROTICAL Concepts.. I dont know to apply PRACTICALLY eg.. After detecting text in an image put bounding boxes but my big doubt is how to put bounding boxes around the text? how to write MATLAB code for it.. i dont have any idea sir... Wat i have done through is 1.If it is color image convert to grayscale image 2.By thresholding i convert to binary...

extracting text from image
hello i have a jpg image of a graph. i want to extract coordinate values at specific points from this image can anybody plz tel me how would i extract text/values. these values are written at top of the points. waiting for a quik response thanks Amara <Amara.Jabeen@gmail.com> wrote in message <c0d80407-4d3b-4213-9c7f-eeee8aca2d47@a29g2000pra.googlegroups.com>... > hello > i have a jpg image of a graph. i want to extract coordinate values at > specific points from this image can anybody plz tel me how would i > extract text/values. > these values are written at top o...

how text is extracted from image
hi all dere how some text can b xtracted from an image? Through image processing techniques. MOHAMMAD wrote: > > > hi all dere > how some text can b xtracted from an image? On Feb 21, 8:42 am, Joseph <n...@dodo.com> wrote: > Through image processing techniques. > > > > MOHAMMAD wrote: > > > hi all dere > > how some text can b xtracted from an image?- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text i know that but i dont know how to proceed wd it can anyone guide me in this regard secondly will there be any difference in the projects while...

Extraction text from image
Hi all, Would you please send me a code in MATLAB or other to show me how to extract text from Image.or any information related to this issue. Thank you Talal Hammouri ...

Color bar colors not matching Image colors
Hi all, I'm having trouble getting colors in a 2D data array to agree with my color= bar range. How can I set a Min and Max value for colors in an image without= requiring the data be scaled to use the whole range? i.e. My color bar goes from -500 (blue) to 500 (red) and the values in the = field only range between 100 and 400. How do I set the colors in the field = to match their corresponding colors in the colorbar? I know they are not cu= rrently corresponding because I am getting blue colors in field even though= there are no negative values. I tried setting Min =3D -5...

Change text color for one document.write but not color of all text?
Hi, one part of my website is at: http://www.psych.nmsu.edu/~jkroger/lab/undergrads.html I want to make the date at the top right darker blue. But when I do that, all the light blue text next to the pictures also changes. How can I control the color of the result of document.write output without changing the forground color of the entire page? Note my document write includes variables, so I was hesitant to imbed an html command in the document.write. Thanks much in advance for any pointers.... Jim <kroger@princeton.edu> wrote in message news:1107038498.074086.115160@z14g2000cwz.g...

How to extract the text,numbers from an image?
Hi all, How to extract the text,numbers from an image?Is there any matlb codes availabe in online? Thaks, Regards, sv ...

Changing colors of a gif image
Hello again,I got the .gif file that I have to be transparent in the correctlocations. Now, I would like to change the colors of the remainingpixels based upon an input color.I have looked at ConvolveColorOp, but don't understand how to define aColorSpace to convert, say black to blue. Maybe I am missingsomething quite simple, but ...I have looked at RescaleOp, but get an error stating "Rescaling cannotbe performed on an indexed image." I was probably on the wrong pathhere anyway - I set all the scales to zero and then used the RGBvalues of the input color as the offsets, me t...

Colored Text extraction from PDF
Hi All is it possible to extract the colored text from pdf. for example: There are 3 color texts in a pdf -- RED, GREEN and BLACK. is it possible to extract text which are red and green in color? - Regards Azodious Azodious wrote: > Hi All > is it possible to extract the colored text from pdf. > > for example: > There are 3 color texts in a pdf -- RED, GREEN and BLACK. > is it possible to extract text which are red and green in color? > Yes. It is possible, but I know of no method I'd actually want to use. Just my �0.02 worth. -- RGB On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 07:4...

Extracting text from .png images
Hi group! I need to extract some text (well numbers actually) from a bunch of similarly looking .png images. After extraction the numbers will be fed to a Python script for further processing. Any good ideas on how to go about with this? I have no idea whatsoever about how to extract the numbers out of the images... Thanks in advance, Henrik "Henrik Berg Nielsen" <hbn@imada.sdu.dk> writes: > I need to extract some text (well numbers actually) from a bunch of > similarly looking .png images. After extraction the numbers will be fed to a > Python script for furthe...

Mapping grayscale image into a colored image with two primary colors
Hey guys, For a problem I need to work out some way to map a grayscale image into a colored image with two colors- lets say blue and yellow. To make it more clear lets say we have a grayscale image and we want to make it colored but it only consists of blue and yellow ( or any other colors). However, I want to preserve the details of the image, so hue and saturation must stay the same and all shadow effects and such still available in transformed picture. Just lets say all the dark parts of the image map to blue and light parts map to yellow . something like that . any1 has any idea how to d...

Extract antialiased text from image
I wrote a text logotype on top of an image a couple of years ago, using a font I can't find today. I really need to extract this logo but can't seem to get a good enough result. Any ideas on how this is best done? When extracted, the logo will be pasted on a new image, and hopefully, without the white edges around it. Thanks in advance! / Mark "Mark" <m_b@email.com> wrote in message news:f8f060ff.0406102359.15c3e089@posting.google.com... > I wrote a text logotype on top of an image a couple of years ago, > using a font I can't find today. I really need to ...

Extract text from Image #2
Hello There, I am really having hard time in recognizing a text. I am after extracting atext from an image and then recognize it. the letter/characters in the image is not typing a like letters so it might have some distortion specially B, 8 ... can any one help me on this or point me to the right direction ...

Extract Color Descriptors from an image
Hello, I want to extract color descriptors (dominant clor, scalable color, color layout ) from an image, can anyone help me. I'm new on matlab. Best regards. So Any reply please? Best Regards. Hsouna a =E9crit : > Hello, > I want to extract color descriptors (dominant clor, scalable color, > color layout ) from an image, can anyone help me. I'm new on matlab. >=20 > Best regards. ...

Algorithms to dither true color images to 3200 color images
I've recently been working on converting images (digital photos, etc) to 3200-color IIgs images. The resulting program (no source code yet) is here: http://wsxyz.net/tohgr.html So I'm just wondering if anyone else who has worked on this problem wants to discuss it. The main problem is that you have to pick a 16 color palette to use for each line, and you will be dithering, because 16 colors isn't very many. So, you need to pick a 16 color palette that is "best" in some sense for dithering the line. My approach is a hill climbing method. I experimented wi...