Text file converted to .mat file

I have very new to matlab (it was just installed on my unix machine).
I have a text file that looks like this:

ABC <tab> 2007.220.76804.144 <tab> 302892231

The first column will be the same for some rows and different for
other rows. The second column is a date/time field. The 3rd column is
a double field that could hold many decimal places. I need to get this
converted to a .mat format. I have been reading the tutorials and
doing the examples, but I am still confused. I need to save this as
a .mat file programatically because I need to retain the doubles. Is
there another format that this should be in so I can read it into
matlab? I can't even load the file in.I get the error:

??? Error using ==> load
Unknown text on line number 1 of ASCII file a.dat "ABC".

Is there another format for it to be in? I want to have the first
column as sort of a heading or variable. There are many lines in the
file.

I hope I have explained it well enough. Thank you.

Ally