Timing run time

I would like to compare the speed of two algorithms
solving the same problem.

As far as I understood, the tic-toc command gives
the time difference between the beginning and the
end of the computation, without taking into account
the time spent by the processor doing something else.

I'm using a multi-processor multi-users machine and
the CPU time used by my process is not 100% and
is not constant. The measured speeds are fluctuating
so much that I can hardly conclude anything.

Is it possible to obtain realistic measurements of
the speed of my algorithms?

Thanks for your help

Dear Didier Oslo!

> I'm using a multi-processor multi-users machine ...
>
> Is it possible to obtain realistic measurements of
> the speed of my algorithms?

help cputime

Regards, Jan