Tuning a PID controller with the Ziegler-Nichols in Simulink

I want to set kp,ki,kd using Ziegler-Nichols method for this simulink model;
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/26275
I know I can set this parameters automatically from PID block.But I want to determine the values by calculating.
I looked a lot of documents about this method.And I knew Ziegler-Nichols method theoretically.
I increased kp, but I couldn't observe any oscillation at the output of system.How can I set these parameters  Simulink using this method or Could you propose any other models or example to apply this method in simulink,clearly?
Also I tried another method but I couldn't determine L,T from its step response.
0
dfgdg
12/18/2010 6:03:04 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 210004 articles. 11 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

Is there anyone to answer my question?I just want to ask this question;How can I implement Ziegler-Nichols Method in Simulink?Could you propose any example? but I couldn't determine L,T from its step response.
0
dfgdg
12/19/2010 8:18:04 AM
Try this example :

                           6
G(s) =  ------------------------------------
               (2s+1)(4s+1)(6s+1)

step---------> + ------------> PID --------> G(s) --------------->Scope
                   |-                                             |
                   |                                              |
                   |__________________________|

1) Set the controller to a P-only controller (by setting Ki = 0 and Kd = 0).
2) Start to give values to Kp until the closed loop system is at the verge of
instability (sustained oscillations are obtained). use Kp = 1.71
3) Determine from the figure the ultimate period (Tu)
4) With the ultimate gain and period determined at steps 2 and 3 compute the parameters of a PID controller using the ZN tuning rules.

use a simulation time > 30

hope it would be Helpfull!!
ALi

"dfgdg dfgdfg" <sakirae@gmail.com> wrote in message <iekf3s$anc$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Is there anyone to answer my question?I just want to ask this question;How can I implement Ziegler-Nichols Method in Simulink?Could you propose any example? but I couldn't determine L,T from its step response.
0
Ali
12/19/2010 7:00:23 PM
"elysion87" wrote in message <ieit0o$34o$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> I want to set kp,ki,kd using Ziegler-Nichols method for this simulink model;
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/26275
> I know I can set this parameters automatically from PID block.But I want to determine the values by calculating.
> I looked a lot of documents about this method.And I knew Ziegler-Nichols method theoretically.
> I increased kp, but I couldn't observe any oscillation at the output of system.How can I set these parameters  Simulink using this method or Could you propose any other models or example to apply this method in simulink,clearly?
> Also I tried another method but I couldn't determine L,T from its step response.
0
bob_sa (2)
4/14/2012 6:00:37 AM
please somebody help me. this is for my research about ziegler-nichol tuning optimization
> I want to set kp,ki,kd using Ziegler-Nichols method for this simulink model;
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/26275
> I know I can set this parameters automatically from PID block.But I want to determine the values by calculating.
> I looked a lot of documents about this method.And I knew Ziegler-Nichols method theoretically.
> I increased kp, but I couldn't observe any oscillation at the output of system.How can I set these parameters  Simulink using this method or Could you propose any other models or example to apply this method in simulink,clearly?
> Also I tried another method but I couldn't determine L,T from its step response.
> how to get a constant oscillation without trial PID controller (Kp,Ki,Kd) manually.

please sent the answer to my email (teofilus_bobby@yahoo.com). thx a lot
0
bob_sa (2)

PID controller in Matlab/Simulink
Hello, I wonder why PID block in Simulink Extras doesn't have Controller bias parameter (i think someone calls it feedforward parameter)? Is it possible to add it to simulation and not to be considered disturbance by simulation? ...

tuning PID using Ziegler and Nichols
In simulink I have created this type of simple closed loop system: Step ->(sum + - ) [PID] -> [Plant] -> Scope ^ | | | ------------------------------------- Where Plant is: (IN1) -> [Transfer function] -> Time Delay -> Out1 1/T.s+1 G(s) = e^(-s)/Ts +1 (T - Time constant = 0.1) ^ = to the power of; and I need to find Ki, Kd and Kp for the PID Not certain for the Step parameters whether to neglect them for now or no...

MATLAB discrete time simulation of simulink model (Control simulink simulation time from MATLAB)
I am trying to run a simulink model simulation in definite time steps from MATLAB so that I can extract data from simulink, do some caluclations and send these new data back to Simulink for further simulation from the point I left off. The process can be descirbed below: Note that total simulation time is 600 seconds. 1. Start simulation from MATLAB for 100 seconds and then pause the simulation 2. Extract all the data I need from simulink and bring into MATLAB, do some calculations to changes simulink model parameters and then pass this new calculated data back to simulink. 3. Continue th...

Tuning PID controlers Ziegler & Choen-Coon
To anyone help!!! Problem using tuning tecnics of PID controlers at open loop to get parameters for P, PI and PID using transference function G(s) equals (2 e-2s)/((2s+1)(3s+1)) Thanks anyone J. ...

tuning pid controller using genetic algorithm in simulink
i have modelled longitudinal autopilot system by using PID controller. I want to tune pid controller by using genetic algorithm. I dont know how to use GA in simulink ...

PID control using Ziegler-Nichols Closed Loop Method
I need some help with my homework, G(s) = e^(-s)/Ts + 1 where T is time constant = 0.1 I need to find Ki, Kp, Kd for my PID controller. So far no luck in anycase, plz help I have no Idea of the alghoritm to solve this example and I have over 40 similar problems to solve for less then a day :) Thanks in advance ...

Simulink, PID controller problem, Controls !
Hello Matlab users, I am a E.Eng major student and I have been using Matlab for my Control Systems class. But recently I am having a big confussion in Matlab simulink That I cannot understand at all. Here is my problem: I have this open loop transfer function : = 172.98/(s^2 +2.57s) And I am supposed to find PID gain so that the system's setting time is =0.3sec. Now By using Proportional and Drivative I came up with the answer of Kp = 0.198 Kd = 0.077 Therefore, the PD controller transfer function will be = 0.077s + 0.198 WhenI plug that value into the PID controller with KI=0, it...

Tuning PID parameters of DC motor speed control using Ziegler Nicholas method
Is it impossible to implement a dc motor speed control using closed loop ziegler nicholas method? For some transfer function I used ziegler nicholas method but I couldn't determine the PID parameters for DC motor speed control.Could you propose anything for this operation? Thanks. And my transfer fuction is; 1 ------------------------------------- s^2 + 14s + 40.02 I couldn't find the PID parameters using Ziegler-Nichols method(closed loop). Where is my mistake?Could you propose anything??? Thanks. Am I writing unreasonable things that are impossible...

How will you connect PID or ANN controller developed in Matlab Simulink with DC motor of your laboratory (Actual Motor)a
Plz help me if we design any controller (PID or ANN)in Matlab Simulink, and then we need to this controller with any electrical machine (Actual machine of laboratory). I am M. Phil Student, if any one helps me in a proper way, I will try my best to pay nominal charges, if he/she guides me in an excellent way. May be I request him/her for the supervision of my project. Aslam Pervez B.E Electrical Engineering M.Phil regsitered ...

How can I create a control loop of a nonlinear control system in Matlab/Simulink?
In most cases, the control system is often designed for linear systems,namely,by using the transfer function as a block representing the object to control. However, I have to build a control system to simulate the control of nonlinear object without any linearization. How can I achieve that? Can I use the S-function? Thanks in advance! On Jan 29, 5:30 am, workaholic <liua...@gmail.com> wrote: > In most cases, the control system is often designed for linear > systems,namely,by using the transfer function as a block representing > the object to control. However, I have to build...

MATLAB/Simulink and Source Control (MKS Client). MATLAB Performance Improvement.
I'm looking for two things. Help with either one would be most appreciated. 1) I have a MATLAB GUI that runs a series of scripts. It makes use of the fixed point toolbox (fi objects and quantizer objects) and those things make it VERY slow. I have rewritten the quantizer and made my own quantizer m function. But, it doesn't warn me about overflows or underflows (which I suppose I could code up). Just the same, it'd be nice to go from MATLAB scripts and function to machine code if that's possible. 2) We use MKS Integrity Client 2006 for software source control. ...

Tune PID controller?
Hi all. I need to tune a PID controller with time constants (period of the scillation) on the order of hours. Any suggestion for procedures or algorithms? Literature? Rune Rune Allnor wrote: > Hi all. > > I need to tune a PID controller with time constants > (period of the scillation) on the order of hours. Do you have a model of the controlled plant or the PID has to be tuned empirically? > Any suggestion for procedures or algorithms? > Literature? PID is a basic thing, you will get zillion of references on google. * The first that comes to mind are Ziegler and N...

PID Controller in Matlab
Hi People, I'm simulating a power system in matlab (v 6.1) and I'm using PID controller block to control a thyristor. At the first simulation, everything seems to work fine and as expected. But when I changed the PID parameters, nothing seems to change (the eigenvalues + voltages, etc of the system stay the same). Is this some kind of bug or did I do something wrong? Please Help, thanks Lunardi PID controller should work. check if your kp ki and kd are not too low. Well or most probably you didnt connect things right. Lunardi wrote: > > > Hi People, > > I'm simu...

Tuning of PID CONTROLLER
This is to get some help on tuning of PID controller parameters in a linearized system model. Further the tuning has to be done by already established global optimization techniques based on evolutionary computation. How to communicate simulink model with m file in matlab. How algorithm will fetch the quality (cost) from simulink model. The quality or cost is usually taken as ISE, ITAE like that.... Do help me.............. thanking you...... ...

Web resources about - Tuning a PID controller with the Ziegler-Nichols in Simulink - comp.soft-sys.matlab