Tuning a PID controller with the Ziegler-Nichols in Simulink

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I want to set kp,ki,kd using Ziegler-Nichols method for this simulink model;
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/26275
I know I can set this parameters automatically from PID block.But I want to determine the values by calculating.
I looked a lot of documents about this method.And I knew Ziegler-Nichols method theoretically.
I increased kp, but I couldn't observe any oscillation at the output of system.How can I set these parameters  Simulink using this method or Could you propose any other models or example to apply this method in simulink,clearly?
Also I tried another method but I couldn't determine L,T from its step response.
0
Reply dfgdg 12/18/2010 6:03:04 PM

See related articles to this posting

Is there anyone to answer my question?I just want to ask this question;How can I implement Ziegler-Nichols Method in Simulink?Could you propose any example? but I couldn't determine L,T from its step response.
0
Reply dfgdg 12/19/2010 8:18:04 AM

Try this example :

                           6
G(s) =  ------------------------------------
               (2s+1)(4s+1)(6s+1)

step---------> + ------------> PID --------> G(s) --------------->Scope
                   |-                                             |
                   |                                              |
                   |__________________________|

1) Set the controller to a P-only controller (by setting Ki = 0 and Kd = 0).
2) Start to give values to Kp until the closed loop system is at the verge of
instability (sustained oscillations are obtained). use Kp = 1.71
3) Determine from the figure the ultimate period (Tu)
4) With the ultimate gain and period determined at steps 2 and 3 compute the parameters of a PID controller using the ZN tuning rules.

use a simulation time > 30

hope it would be Helpfull!!
ALi

"dfgdg dfgdfg" <sakirae@gmail.com> wrote in message <iekf3s$anc$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Is there anyone to answer my question?I just want to ask this question;How can I implement Ziegler-Nichols Method in Simulink?Could you propose any example? but I couldn't determine L,T from its step response.
0
Reply Ali 12/19/2010 7:00:23 PM

"elysion87" wrote in message <ieit0o$34o$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> I want to set kp,ki,kd using Ziegler-Nichols method for this simulink model;
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/26275
> I know I can set this parameters automatically from PID block.But I want to determine the values by calculating.
> I looked a lot of documents about this method.And I knew Ziegler-Nichols method theoretically.
> I increased kp, but I couldn't observe any oscillation at the output of system.How can I set these parameters  Simulink using this method or Could you propose any other models or example to apply this method in simulink,clearly?
> Also I tried another method but I couldn't determine L,T from its step response.
0
Reply bob_sa (2) 4/14/2012 6:00:37 AM

please somebody help me. this is for my research about ziegler-nichol tuning optimization
> I want to set kp,ki,kd using Ziegler-Nichols method for this simulink model;
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/26275
> I know I can set this parameters automatically from PID block.But I want to determine the values by calculating.
> I looked a lot of documents about this method.And I knew Ziegler-Nichols method theoretically.
> I increased kp, but I couldn't observe any oscillation at the output of system.How can I set these parameters  Simulink using this method or Could you propose any other models or example to apply this method in simulink,clearly?
> Also I tried another method but I couldn't determine L,T from its step response.
> how to get a constant oscillation without trial PID controller (Kp,Ki,Kd) manually.

please sent the answer to my email (teofilus_bobby@yahoo.com). thx a lot
0
Reply bob_sa (2) 4/14/2012 6:06:17 AM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Tuning PID controlers Ziegler & Choen-Coon
To anyone help!!! Problem using tuning tecnics of PID controlers at open loop to get parameters for P, PI and PID using transference function G(s) equals (2 e-2s)/((2s+1)(3s+1)) Thanks anyone J. ...

Tuning PID parameters of DC motor speed control using Ziegler Nicholas method
Is it impossible to implement a dc motor speed control using closed loop ziegler nicholas method? For some transfer function I used ziegler nicholas method but I couldn't determine the PID parameters for DC motor speed control.Could you propose anything for this operation? Thanks. And my transfer fuction is; 1 ------------------------------------- s^2 + 14s + 40.02 I couldn't find the PID parameters using Ziegler-Nichols method(closed loop). Where is my mistake?Could you propose anything??? Thanks. Am I writing unreasonable things that are impossible...

Simulink, PID controller problem, Controls !
Hello Matlab users, I am a E.Eng major student and I have been using Matlab for my Control Systems class. But recently I am having a big confussion in Matlab simulink That I cannot understand at all. Here is my problem: I have this open loop transfer function : = 172.98/(s^2 +2.57s) And I am supposed to find PID gain so that the system's setting time is =0.3sec. Now By using Proportional and Drivative I came up with the answer of Kp = 0.198 Kd = 0.077 Therefore, the PD controller transfer function will be = 0.077s + 0.198 WhenI plug that value into the PID controller with KI=0, it...

Tuning of PID CONTROLLER
This is to get some help on tuning of PID controller parameters in a linearized system model. Further the tuning has to be done by already established global optimization techniques based on evolutionary computation. How to communicate simulink model with m file in matlab. How algorithm will fetch the quality (cost) from simulink model. The quality or cost is usually taken as ISE, ITAE like that.... Do help me.............. thanking you...... ...

PID controller tuning
Is there any one who can help me in tuning the PID controller block in simulink.I am totally unawre of the procedure. Thanks in advance On Apr 7, 2:16=A0pm, "Bindu " <bindu_l...@rediffmail.com> wrote: > Is there any one who can help me in tuning the PID controller block in si= mulink.I am totally unawre of the procedure. > Thanks in advance check here.. http://www.mathworks.com/products/simcontrol/ There is also a webinar on the subject: http://www.mathworks.com/company/events/webinars/wbnr38619.html?id=3D38619&= p1=3D636028070&p2=3D636028082 and...

Tune PID controller?
Hi all. I need to tune a PID controller with time constants (period of the scillation) on the order of hours. Any suggestion for procedures or algorithms? Literature? Rune Rune Allnor wrote: > Hi all. > > I need to tune a PID controller with time constants > (period of the scillation) on the order of hours. Do you have a model of the controlled plant or the PID has to be tuned empirically? > Any suggestion for procedures or algorithms? > Literature? PID is a basic thing, you will get zillion of references on google. * The first that comes to mind are Ziegler and N...

Simulink and PID controller
Hi, We are developing a Cryogenic temperature controller with PID tuning, the system contains a Silicon diode Temperature sensor and a heater inside a cryostat. We need to develop the system using simulink , with PID tuning . It is a closed loop control system, we are using PID discreet controller for PID tuning , but for plant , we should develop a cryostat , this is were we are stuck, Pls give gives us your valuable suggestions in choosing a particular simulink toolbox for designing a Cryostat(which has a heater inside it with a temperature sensor) . Looking forward for positive and speed...

Tuning of PID CONTROLLER #2
This is to get some help on tuning of PID controller parameters in a linearized system model. Further the tuning has to be done by already established global optimization techniques based on evolutionary computation. How to communicate simulink model with m file in matlab. How algorithm will fetch the quality (cost) from simulink model. The quality or cost is usually taken as ISE, ITAE like that.... Do help me.............. thanking you...... ...

Control Theory PID tuning
I'm not sure if I've made a MATLAB mistake or maybe misunderstood something in the control theory. I was hoping to verify my MATLAB code The following TF is a closed loop TF with unity feedback and PID values using Ziegler-Nichols (ZN) first method. I've not tuned the PID any further. I'm plotting this TF using step(TF, t) where t is time. Transfer function of closed loop Plot with ZN PID values: 1.4 s^3 + 49.48 s^2 + 4.371 s --------------------------------------------- 0.005597 s^4 + 5.816 s^3 + 51.84 s^2 + 6.58 s The plot is what I'd expect but the...

PID controller block tuning
Any one is there who could help me in tune the PID controller block in simulink.I am totally unaware of the procedure how to start up tuning. Thanks in advance Check the answers to your first post with the same question. "Bindu " <bindu_lal1@rediffmail.com> wrote in message <hpj64g$kq9$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Any one is there who could help me in tune the PID controller block in simulink.I am totally unaware of the procedure how to start up tuning. > Thanks in advance ...

Ziegler-Nichols Method in Simulink
How can I implement Ziegler-Nichols Method in Simulink?Could you propose any example? ...

PID controller WITHOUT Simulink
Hello everybody, I don't have the simulink toolbox but I need to simulate a process with a PID controler. I am using the ode45 solver with a PID equation discrete on time. Does anybody know how to capture the value of an state at certain predetermined times? For example, I have to know during the integration the value of y(1) at time equal 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, etc. The problem is that the integration steps varies during the integration method and I can't use IF structures like: IF ~ISEMPTY(t==[0.2 0.4 0.6 0.8]) THEM "CALCULATE DE PID EQUATION". If I had the simulink I could use ...

PID controller in Matlab/Simulink
Hello, I wonder why PID block in Simulink Extras doesn't have Controller bias parameter (i think someone calls it feedforward parameter)? Is it possible to add it to simulation and not to be considered disturbance by simulation? ...

self-tuning PID controllers
I want help about self-tuning PID controllers parameter estimation..how can i find example matlab files about this? thank you ...

Problem tuning PID for temperature control
Hope someone can help me with my my temperature control problem. I am using PID control to stabilize 12 heaters using PT100 sensors. The temperature seems to be very unstable no matter how I tune it. The temperature seems to hold at setpoint for a while (with +/- 2 C) and then shoots so high (up to 20 C) and then the heaters shut down to bring down the temperatures. All heaters are working at different temperature setting. The heaters are controoled using external SSR using the PWM method.I simply cant get the temperature to oscillate within +/- 1 C. Hardwares used: PXI1048, PXI 6602 (2 units)...

how to build a PD or PID controller in simulink
Dear all, I have a problem about PD simulink design,as illustrated, Consider a simple system, dot(x)=x-u (1) u=p*x+d*dot(x) (2) where x and u are one-order, u is control input with the parameters p and d. dot indicates diff. Substituting u=p*x+d*dot(x) into dot(x)=x-u, we obtain dot(x)=(1-p)/(1+d)*x. Obviously, only if p>1 and d>-1, the system (1) and (2) is stable because of the negative (1-p)/(1+d). However, with my built simulink block, the simulink result is always unstable when p=2, d>=3! Would you help me clarify this problem and build a proper simulink block for me? your ...

PID Controller Simulation Discrepancies with Simulink
Hello, I am having an issue with simulink that I cannot solve. I am trying to simulate a PID controller on plant model: -0.5s^2 + 1250 ---------------------- s^3 + 47s^2 + 850s -3000 the PID controller is a Kc, Ti Td form with Kc = 12, Ti = 0.2 and Td = 0.1. I have implementd this in two ways. 1) By solving for the closed loop transfer function with unity feedback and plugging the transfer function directly into a transfer function block in simulink. The input is a step block and output is Out to Workspace. 2) By plugging the PLANT transfer function into a transfer function block, and...

help in using PID controller block in simulink
hi i am creating a control model using matlab/simulink. I am using a PID controller block for controlling the system output. But for any value of the derivative gain i give in the PID block, i am getting an error which goes like this.. Derivative input 1 of block 'system2test/Subsystem/Integrator' at time 2.450632977396823e-035 is Inf or NaN. Stopping simulation. There may be a singularity in the solution. If not, try reducing the step size (either by reducing the fixed step size or by tightening the error tolerances) How do i solve this problem?I tried using a saturation block but...

Simulink: PID output when transitioning between Manual and Automatic control?
I am unable to uncover a method to allow a smooth transition between a PID output value, and a static output value. That is, there is a need to control an output that is run via a PID to a stable value, and then allow the PID to pick up from that position and control again on the fly. The setup is as follows: I have an output that is a valve position. This is driven by a manual switch which selects between a constant block and a PID block. The manual switch is controlled programatically. The constant block output is also controlled programatically. I'm attempting to align the in...

How to use PID controller (with aprox derivative) as defferentiator in simulink?
I used differentiator in feedback loop but coud not get the result and I got suggestion to use PID with aprox derivative fun. can any body tell me how to use PID with aprox derivative as defferentiator (which value I shuld set to make it as defferentiator) Thnak ...

How will you connect PID or ANN controller developed in Matlab Simulink with DC motor of your laboratory (Actual Motor)a
Plz help me if we design any controller (PID or ANN)in Matlab Simulink, and then we need to this controller with any electrical machine (Actual machine of laboratory). I am M. Phil Student, if any one helps me in a proper way, I will try my best to pay nominal charges, if he/she guides me in an excellent way. May be I request him/her for the supervision of my project. Aslam Pervez B.E Electrical Engineering M.Phil regsitered ...

PID controller for level control
Hi &nbsp; i am designing a water level&nbsp; controller (just the simulation using labview). &nbsp; its a simple control system. &nbsp; a water tank, an inflow and an outflow. Inflow is manipulated to control the level &nbsp; Given a setpoint, How can i control the level using&nbsp;a PID controller &nbsp; If anyone have any examples or solutions of this problem, pls post it here or email <a href="mailto:sreejith1232@yahoo.co.in" target="_blank">sreejith1232@yahoo.co.in</a> &nbsp; thanx very much There are several PID controlle...

to controll 2 PId controller
I have two circle , with two PID controllers. They work for 1 product, but sometimes they work againt each other. I want to disable the 1 pid, and enable the 2pid, and after that, I continue with just the sam value of the 1 pid. Do you have any idea? Or an other probability? Thanks Hi Roland, It is a little hard to understand what exactly you are trying to do. I have some guesses about what you mean, but it would be better iif you could provide more explanation in order for us to help you in a meaningful way. Thanks. Arkadiy "Roland Nagy" <mesterroland@yahoo.com>...

PID controller for vector control
Hi all, I am recently working on vector contorl for induction motor and need to design a PID controller with anti-windup. Is there any related documents or reference related to induction motor contorl or modelling using matlab ? Thanks! "Bill Strong" <yingfenglam@126.com> wrote in message news:gura29$jgv$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi all, > I am recently working on vector contorl for induction motor and need to > design a PID controller with anti-windup. > Is there any related documents or reference related to induction motor > contorl or modelling using matl...