Twiddle Factor matrix

Will you please tell me how to generate the twiddle factor matrix (W
= exp(-j*2*pi/N)) if N is given . I need a N-by-N matrix:
          __ __
          |1 1 1 1... ... 1 |
          |1 W^1 W^2 W^3... ...W^(N-1) |
          |1 W^2 W^4 W^6... . |
          |1 . . . . |
          |1 . . |
          |1 W^(N-1)..................W^((N-1)*(N_1)) |
          |__ ___

  This matrix is needed for computation of DFT without using FFT
0
bdsatish (38)
11/16/2005 9:08:32 AM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 19 followers. lunamoonmoon (257) is leader. Post Follow

In article <ef1bb73.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP>, bdsatish <bdsatish@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will you please tell me how to generate the twiddle factor matrix (W
> = exp(-j*2*pi/N)) if N is given . I need a N-by-N matrix:
>           __ __
>           |1 1 1 1... ... 1 |
>           |1 W^1 W^2 W^3... ...W^(N-1) |
>           |1 W^2 W^4 W^6... . |
>           |1 . . . . |
>           |1 . . |
>           |1 W^(N-1)..................W^((N-1)*(N_1)) |
>           |__ ___
>
>   This matrix is needed for computation of DFT without using FFT
--------------------
  This should do it:

W = exp(-j*2*pi/N);
I = repmat(0:N-1,N,1);
M = W.^(I.*I.');

(Remove "xyzzy" and ".invalid" to send me email.)
Roger Stafford
In article
<ellieandrogerxyzzy-1611050243550001@pool0105.cvx20-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net

>   This should do it:
>
> W = exp(-j*2*pi/N);
> I = repmat(0:N-1,N,1);
> M = W.^(I.*I.');
--------------------
  Or a posssibly more accurate alternative:

I = repmat(0:N-1,N,1);
M = exp(-j*2*pi/N*rem(I.*I.',N));

bdsatish wrote:
> Will you please tell me how to generate the twiddle factor matrix (W
> = exp(-j*2*pi/N)) if N is given . I need a N-by-N matrix:
>           __ __
>           |1 1 1 1... ... 1 |
>           |1 W^1 W^2 W^3... ...W^(N-1) |
>           |1 W^2 W^4 W^6... . |
>           |1 . . . . |
>           |1 . . |
>           |1 W^(N-1)..................W^((N-1)*(N_1)) |
>           |__ ___
>
>   This matrix is needed for computation of DFT without using FFT

>From a post by AJ Johnson:

function X=dft(t,x,f)
% function X=dft(t,x,f)
% Compute DFT (Discrete Fourier Transform) at frequencies given
% in f, given samples x taken at times t:
% X(f) = sum(k=1,N) { x(k) * exp(-2*pi*j*t(k)*f) }
%
t   = t(:);                      % Format 't' into a column vector
x  = x(:);                       % Format 'x' into a column vector
f   = f(:);                      % Format 'f' into a column vector
W = exp(-2*pi*j * f*t');
X  = W * x;

Hope this helps.

Greg

0
heath (3983)

Web resources about - Twiddle Factor matrix - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Hockey cannot twiddle the tax levers for some without affecting the rest
Tax reform cannot be achieved by twiddling a lever and generating a benefit for some, the entire system is in need of an overhaul.

Politicians reluctant to twiddle thumbs in caretaker periods
Restraining politicians from making big decisions between the expiry of one parliament and the opening of another has proven difficult.

ChoicePoint settles with AGs over data theft; Congress twiddles thumbs
ChoicePoint and the attorneys general of 43 states plus Washington, DC, have …

Editorial: Thumbs up, down and twiddles - Houston Chronicle
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio this week unveiled a detailed, thorough and bold plan to eliminate traffic fatalities that afflict pedestrians ...

Obama: I won't 'twiddle my thumbs' waiting for GOP
... Hill Republicans: "I'm not just going to sit back if the only message from some of these folks is no on everything, and sit around and twiddle ...

Senate GOP expected to filibuster Democratic plan to avoid sequester as House GOP twiddles thumbs
GOP preparing to do what they do best: Nothing With automatic budget cuts set to kick in tomorrow, here's a really short version of today's ...

Egoraptor & JonTron twiddle their sticks, play some games
One does silly cartoons. The other does silly videogame retrospectives. Put 'em together under the same roof and watch out! Sounds like the premise ...

“We’re longing for knobs to twiddle” — Here’s what bugs the Beats By Dre designer
... and address that because it’s becoming problematic. Tactility is coming back… We’re kind of longing for knobs and switches and things to twiddle. ...

Duck Dynasty: Phil Quotes Bible, GLAAD Cries Foul, Christians Silently Twiddle Thumbs
Breaking News, Information, Opinion, Entertainment and Health News

Fed Continues to Twiddle Its Thumbs
Here is the latest statement from the Fed: The Committee expects economic growth to remain moderate over coming quarters and then to pick up ...