variable with variable name

I would like to assign a series of values read from a file
to some variable with name composite by a fix part ed a
numeric part, like this:
                 for k=1:N
                      vark = <input values array>
                 end
The result would be some variables   var1 var2  var3   ...
varN  that I can use for successive operation, like this
(for example):
      for k=1:N
           S(k) = size(vark,2)
       end
I can not use a matrix var(k,:) because the length of input
array is not costant; because f the zero padding, if I will
use an array I will have the same size for all the row var
(k,:), equal to max(size(vark,2)).
How can I to obtasin this
Thanks   Alberto
0
alborg63 (3)
3/20/2008 11:38:02 AM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 210009 articles. 11 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

"Alberto Borgato" <alborg63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<frtiaq$fgn$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> I would like to assign a series of values read from a file
> to some variable with name composite by a fix part ed a
> numeric part, like this:
>                  for k=1:N
>                       vark = <input values array>
>                  end
> The result would be some variables   var1 var2  var3   ...
> varN  that I can use for successive operation, like this
> (for example):
>       for k=1:N
>            S(k) = size(vark,2)
>        end
> I can not use a matrix var(k,:) because the length of input
> array is not costant; because f the zero padding, if I will
> use an array I will have the same size for all the row var
> (k,:), equal to max(size(vark,2)).
> How can I to obtasin this
> Thanks   Alberto

Do not do this! Use cell arrays:

for i=1:k,
  var{k} = ...
end

for j=1:k,
   temp = var{k} ;
   % operate on temp
end

Note the curly braces.

hth
Jos
0
DELjos (627)

How do I scope a variable if the variable name contains a variable?
I can do this: my @bar; #explicit name - fine but not this: my $foo = 'bar'; #fine my @{$foo}; #oops Perl complains, "Can't declare array dereference..." Does anybody know the syntax to scope a variable name that includes a variable? Thanks! In article <e4c916dd.0405181656.5d92e96e@posting.google.com>, David Filmer wrote: > I can do this: > > my @bar; #explicit name - fine > > but not this: > > my $foo = 'bar'; #fine > my @{$foo}; #oops The above is how you deference...

Variable in a variable name
I have an entry page which can be used to key in data for ten people. My assigned variables for each field are in line with $personage1 $personage2 ....etc $personage9 $personage10 and so on. (I have 8 fields for every person, 80 values in all). To simplify my code and make changes easier I would like to create and use these variables with a variable "x" in the name This by recycling the code with $personX in and changing the value of x and running the code ten times. Probably in some kind of do while loop (fairly new to php, but I have been using Excel VB for years and am fa...

Variable variable name
Sorry for the cryptic subject, but I am trying to do the following (line numbers first) in a shell script: 15 type=AD 16 file=100000_10000_AD.csv 17 eval $type_10K=( `cat $file` ) I get the following error message: + type=AD + file=100000_10000_AD.csv combinetab.sh: line 17: syntax error near unexpected token `(' combinetab.sh: line 17: `eval $type_10K=( `cat $file` )' Isn't eval supposed to replace $type with AD and then put the contents of $file in an array names AD_10K? Thanks for any comments. -Samik Samik R. wrote: > Sorry for the cryptic subject, but I am trying to ...

Variable name of variables
Hello, I've a problem! I have to insert in my matlab program a " for " cycle in wich the name of variables is a function of cycle index so the name of variables is variable. For Example: for i=1:n ALFA i =...... end. I want to stamp: ALFA 1=... ALFA 2=... ..... ALFA n=... How can I do?????? Thank u!!! In article <1179169081.488869.62950@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, Molokovellocet <molokovellocet@fastwebnet.it> wrote: >Hello, I've a problem! I have to insert in my matlab program a " for " >cycle in wich the name of variables is a func...

Variables in Variable Name
The most basic way to ask my question if there is anyway of doing this would be a program that did: Dim test1 = 1 Dim test2 = 2 Dim test3 = 3 for i = 1 to 3 print testi next i Well this presents problems because it wont treat the i as a number, is there anyway of doing this? Thank you. Eric wrote: > > The most basic way to ask my question if there is anyway of doing this > would be a program that did: > > Dim test1 = 1 > Dim test2 = 2 > Dim test3 = 3 > > for i = 1 to 3 > print testi > next i You were close; all you need is brackets: dim test(3) as integer test(1) = 1 test(2) = 2 test(3) = 3 for i = 1 to 3 print test(i) next i > > Well this presents problems because it wont treat the i as a number, > is there anyway of doing this? Thank you. "Eric" <erickit@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:bd7ac0c8.0401260942.bdbdac6@posting.google.com... > The most basic way to ask my question if there is anyway of doing this > would be a program that did: > > Dim test1 = 1 > Dim test2 = 2 > Dim test3 = 3 > > for i = 1 to 3 > print testi > next i > > Well this presents problems because it wont treat the i as a number, > is there anyway of doing this? Thank you. Not sure of the exact dialect you're looking for but: DIM test (1 to 3) test(1)=1 test(2)=2 test(3)=3 for i = 1 to 3 print test(i) next i HK ...

adding a variable name to a hash to name is part of the variable name
I have a perl script that I wrote the loops through a list of servers in a file and I want to create a hash with the server name in it. I want each server to have its own hash. for example $myserver = thor; hash name $server_$myserver_name{$some_key} want to get this hash name $server_thor_name{$some_key} How do I get the $myserver name to be interpolated to thor in that line? I tried this and it failed. $server_${myserver}_name{$some_key} -Bobby Bobby Chamness wrote: > I have a perl script that I wrote the loops through a list of servers > in a file and I want to create a hash...

Variable variables

Variables variable
Hi folks, Someone know how to make variables variable like in PHP? It's something like this: $a =3D 'hi' $$a =3D 'testing' echo $hi 'testing' Regards --=20 Adriano Monteiro Marques www.gopython.com.br py.adriano@gmail.com I'm FREE... Are you? (PYTHON powered) Adriano Monteiro wrote: > Hi folks, > > Someone know how to make variables variable like in PHP? > It's something like this: > > $a = 'hi' > $$a = 'testing' > echo $hi > 'testing' You are most certainly wanting to use dictionaries. Or, if you...

Variable for a Variable
I doubt this is possible, but thought to ask anyway. I have a situation where there are 30 arrays (of structures) all in one module. Each representing a separate tool within the application. Just for examples sake I'll make up a few: Hammer(iElements) Saw(iElements) Screwdriver(iElements) ... Drill(iElements) I have this Select Case that checks a Tool_ID and locates the correct tool to operate on. Select Case Tool_ID Case ID_Hammer Hammer(iElements).visible = false Case ID_Saw Saw(iElements)...

variable in variable
Greetings, in the below script the variable VAR within STR should be substituted during runtime: #!/bin/tclsh variable VAR 0 variable STR "VAR = $VAR" puts "VAR=$VAR" puts "STR: $STR" set VAR 1 puts "VAR=$VAR" puts "STR: [subst $STR]" The result is not as expected: ~> t1.tcl VAR=0 STR: VAR = 0 VAR=1 STR: VAR = 0 <<<--- this should be 1 ~> I'm using tcl-8.2 on linux. What am I doung wrong? Thanks for your time and hints, Wolf wg <wg1@gmx.net> wrote: > Greetings, > in the below script the variable VAR within STR should be substituted > during runtime: > #!/bin/tclsh > variable VAR 0 > variable STR "VAR = $VAR" > puts "VAR=$VAR" > puts "STR: $STR" > set VAR 1 > puts "VAR=$VAR" > puts "STR: [subst $STR]" > The result is not as expected: > ~> t1.tcl > VAR=0 > STR: VAR = 0 > VAR=1 > STR: VAR = 0 <<<--- this should be 1 > ~> No, the output is exactly as expected, and 100% inline with the rules of Tcl. Your second variable line (variable STR "VAR = $VAR") is substituted once, and only once, when the statement is first processed by the interpretor, and what is stored in "STR" is the literal string "VAR = 0". Which is why changing VAR later does not change STR, the STR variable was al...

variable variables
Hello, is it possible to make first attr variable? some_object.attr.attr so instead of attr I could use self.foo which has value "attr" Thanks! En Fri, 18 Jun 2010 06:48:34 -0300, someone <petshmidt@googlemail.com> escribi�: > is it possible to make first attr variable? > > some_object.attr.attr > > so instead of attr I could use self.foo which has value "attr" I think you're looking for getattr: http://docs.python.org/library/functions.html#getattr name = "spam" getattr(some_object, name) == some_object...

Variable in Variable
Is it possible to print the the value of a variable in a variable what i mean: Declare @test varchar(255) Declare @foo varchar(255) Declare @strSQL varchar(255) set @test = 'Hallo' Set @foo = '@test' Print @foo Set @strSQL = 'SELECT ' + @foo --Expected result is 'Hallo' exec master..sp_ExecuteSQL @strSQL How doess it work? I hope you understand my problem Thanks "Michi Albatross" <alber@netdot.ch> wrote in message news:67ae724b.0410080410.5c8ccb59@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to print the the value of a variable in a variable ...

variable of variable $$, ${ ...
hi, i m trying to find how to access a variable of variable (which is an image) i want to know the size of the picture the name of the picture is photo1 next one is photo2, next one is photo3 ... for ($i=1;$i<$MAX_PHOTOS;$i++) { $photo='photo'.$i; $$photo_size; //don t work } thx "cdt_sylvestre" <cdtEffacercAsly@relayeur.com> wrote in message news:3ff934d6$0$17130$626a54ce@news.free.fr... > hi, > > i m trying to find how to access a variable of variable (which is an image) > i want to know the size of the picture > the name of the picture is ...

Variable in a Variable
Hi All, I have a dataset data abc; input a b $ c d; datalines; 100 c 20 30 200 d 10 40 300 c 23 99 ; in this dataset variable b contains either c or d(other variable name) how can i get the value of c or d i.e 20 or 30 from first observation.... Please let me know thanks in advance On Feb 8, 1:32 pm, "sasguy" <addanki...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > I have a dataset > data abc; > input a b $ c d; > datalines; > 100 c 20 30 > 200 d 10 40 > 300 c 23 99 > ; > in this dataset variable b contains either c or d(other variable > name) > how can...

Variable variables?
I have a situation which I 'think' I need to use variable variables and not sure how to go about it. I have several <select multiple> elements on a search form with their names created dynamically and the options created dynamically. $parent holds the name such as "Women", "Mens" etc.. $c_id holds category_id and is sent off as the 'value' of the option. This form is self calling and an array is created for the multiple option selected. Women => array([0]=>20,[1]=>21,...) Mens => array([0]=>32,[1]=>35,...) I a...

Variable into a variable
I don't know if I'm saying this right but is it possible to pass a variable into a variable in matlab? For example in php you can have a variable named something and by writting < $that = 'something'.$number; > you can use change the variable $number with any number you want and put for example the variable something1 into $that. "Iraklis Markelis" <it00139@uom.gr> wrote in message news:hgs1mrxsczak@legacy... > I don't know if I'm saying this right but is it possible to pass a > variable into a variable in matlab? > For example in ...

VARIABLE (was is VARIABLE does ? )
Charles Melice raises an interesting question when he asks why VARIABLE is in the CORE wordset. Andrew Haley responded that CORE is not intended to be a minimalist wordset. We have in the past had some discussion re: proper selection of a minimal set of words. Does anyone think there is merit to the suggestion of adding a minimal-CORE wordset to the revised Standard (whenever that happens)? The virtue of a Standard minimal word set would be the virtue we have (albeit with some exceptions) found in having a Standard Forth, namely virtually painless portability and inter-operability. I, for o...

A variables variables
how can I declare a variable with another variable name? for example I will use PHP: $a= "hello"; $a_hello="baybay"; print ${'a_'.$a) //output: baybay how can i do it with no Arrays using python thanks! On Aug 23, 7:25=A0pm, Gandalf <goldn...@gmail.com> wrote: > how can I declare a variable with another variable =A0name? > > for example =A0I will use PHP: > > $a=3D "hello"; > > $a_hello=3D"baybay"; > > print ${'a_'.$a) =A0//output: baybay > > how can i do it with no Arrays using =A0python...

Variable in variable?
Hello, I think that what I'm trying to do is impossible, but before I give up I thought I'd try and pick a few more knowledgeable brains than my own. I have any array of user defined type variables. I need to loop through the array (doing certain calculations) on a particular member variable. I then want to loop through the array again on a different member variable doing very similar calculations. I only need to change a couple things in the loop, otherwise the loop is identical from one member to the other. In a nutshell, what I'm trying to do is use a variable, that will c...

Variable in a variable
Hi, I would like to print a variable into a variable for ex. n = 1; x=[('frame'),n,('.png')]; Result : frame.png expected: frame1.png Is there anyway i could do this by any method. Awaiting for your reply "Bejoy Thomas" <bejoy.thomas@yahoo.in> wrote in message news:h4k998$2cj$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi, I would like to print a variable into a variable for ex. > > n = 1; > x=[('frame'),n,('.png')]; > > Result : frame.png expected: frame1.png > > Is there anyway i could do this by any method. Use SPRINTF or NUM2S...

Variable Variables
I came across the interesting notion of $a and $$a, which in turns uses the string in $a as a $-suffix to make a new dynamic variable. Can someone illustrate a practical use out of it? I will be very curious to see one (webdesign related) example of its usage. Thanks, Animesh ..oO(Animesh K) >I came across the interesting notion of $a and $$a, which in turns uses >the string in $a as a $-suffix to make a new dynamic variable. > >Can someone illustrate a practical use out of it? I will be very curious >to see one (webdesign related) example of its usage. There's hardly a reason to use them. Often enough they are misused in situations where an array would be much more appropriate. Micha Animesh K wrote: > I came across the interesting notion of $a and $$a, which in turns uses > the string in $a as a $-suffix to make a new dynamic variable. > > Can someone illustrate a practical use out of it? I will be very curious > to see one (webdesign related) example of its usage. > > Thanks, > Animesh > I agree with Micha. Variable variables are a solution looking for a problem. It creates code which is very difficult to manage and update, and should not be used. -- ================== Remove the "x" from my email address Jerry Stuckle JDS Computer Training Corp. jstucklex@attglobal.net ================== Jerry Stuckle wrote: > Animesh K wrote: >> I came across the interesting notion of $a and $$a, wh...

Variable Variable
Hi List, is there in python a variable variable like in PHP ($$var)? What I want to do is something like that: pc=["a","b","c"] for i in pc: i = anyclass() a.shutdown() b.update() Any Ideas? Many Thanks, m Tanteauguri wrote: > Hi List, is there in python a variable variable like in PHP ($$var)? > > What I want to do is something like that: > > pc=["a","b","c"] > > for i in pc: > i = anyclass() > > a.shutdown() > b.update() Use a dictionary: stuff = {} pc = ['a', 'b', ...

Assign variables to a new variable based on variable names in SAS
Thank so much Nagakumar Sridhar and Fehd, Ronald J. for answering my previous question. However I was not clear in the original post. I modified my phrasing and the new version is below: I have met the following problem and I need your expert help. The variable names in the data set looks like this: a_1995q3 a_1995q4 a_1997q1 ........... a_2003q4 n Please note that "quarter" numbers in "a_****q*" variables may not be continuous, i.e. there might be a missing quarter. and n can have the value of any quarter for while a_quarter exists, say "1995q3", "...

Re: Combine several variables to one variable (variable name +
On Mon, 8 May 2006 09:03:37 +0100, Deng, Yue <Yue.Deng@ASTRAZENECA.COM> wrote: >Dear all, > >I have a dataset as follows: > >V1 V2 V3 V4 V5....Vn >1 A I a n.... t >2 B II b y.... m >3 C III c n.... t >... .... .... ... ..... ... > >I would like to transfer the dataset as follows: > >V1 V2 VX >1 A V3=I; V4=a; V5=n;....;Vn=t >2 B V3=II; V4=b; V5=y;....;Vn=m >3 C V3=III; V4=c; V5=n;....;Vn=t >.... > >How can I do it? > >Thanks, >D Hi D The briefest demo ...

Web resources about - variable with variable name - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Mozilla moves Firefox to variable release schedule
... schedule process "carefully" and learning "a lot" from it in the past years, Mozilla has announced that Firefox is now moving to a variable ...

Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been a hard year'
... 41° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been ...

When your environment variables are showing
There are embarrassing moments in life. There is the teacher calling you out as a child in class as you stare out the window wistfully imagining ...