Why does MATLAB rename my files?

Sometimes, I rename my mfiles in the "Current Folder" window of the MATLAB session.
Then, when I click on those files to open them in the editor, MATLAB renames them back to what they were formerly, literally in front of my eyes. I never noticed this prior to R2011b.

Is this known behavior? Should this happen?
0
mattjacREMOVE (3196)

"Matt J " <mattjacREMOVE@THISieee.spam> wrote in message
> Sometimes, I rename my mfiles in the "Current Folder" window of the MATLAB
> session.
> Then, when I click on those files to open them in the editor, MATLAB
> renames them back to what they were formerly, literally in front of my
> eyes. I never noticed this prior to R2011b.
> Is this known behavior? Should this happen?

Matt-
I think it would be appropriate to contact technical support on this issue.
They'll be able to find the right people to help track this down.

--
Loren
http://blogs.mathworks.com/loren/

0
loren.shure (834)
2/6/2012 12:55:28 PM
On Feb 3, 7:04=A0pm, "Matt J " <mattjacREM...@THISieee.spam> wrote:
> Sometimes, I rename my mfiles in the "Current Folder" window of the MATLA=
B session.
> Then, when I click on those files to open them in the editor, MATLAB rena=
mes them back to what they were formerly, literally in front of my eyes. I =
never noticed this prior to R2011b.

> Is this known behavior? Should this happen?

If you switch out to your operating system's file manager utility
(i.e. Windows Explorer), has it changed it there by the time you
double click on it in MATLAB to open it?
0
imageanalyst (7621)
2/6/2012 2:00:32 PM
"Loren Shure" <loren.shure@mathworks.com> wrote in message <jgoik0$103$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> Matt-
> I think it would be appropriate to contact technical support on this issue.
> They'll be able to find the right people to help track this down.

Thanks, Loren. I guess I'll do that, but I don't really know how to reproduce the problem, so I doubt my report will be much help.
0
mattjacREMOVE (3196)
2/6/2012 2:15:09 PM
ImageAnalyst <imageanalyst@mailinator.com> wrote in message <79258e93-0c17-4acd-a0c1-88a740994366@f14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>...

> If you switch out to your operating system's file manager utility
> (i.e. Windows Explorer), has it changed it there by the time you
> double click on it in MATLAB to open it?
================

Sadly, I didn't take careful note of that, and as I say, I don't know the secret to reproducing it yet. I can say that the file name does at some point change within the file manager. The only way I was ultimately able to make the name change stick was to quit out of MATLAB and change the file name within Windows Explorer.

It might also be worth mentioning that I've seen this under both Windows XP Pro and under Windows 7 and only under recent versions of MATLAB (R2011). That's tending my suspicions toward it being a MATLAB issue.
0
mattjacREMOVE (3196)

Incompatible of MAT file for Matlab 6.5.1 and Matlab 7.0
Hi! I have recently installed Matlab 7.0. I have save my simulation results in .MAT file. However, these MAT files can't be opened using Matlab 6.5.1. I encountered problem as follows: ??? Error using ==> load Unable to read MAT file D:\MATLAB7\work\results.mat File may be corrupt. How can I solve this problem? Thanks. Linda Please see here: <http://tx.technion.ac.il/~perryb/matlab7/mat7.pdf> In short, save again as: The new features and enhancements are described in the "Release notes" of Matlab. A new feature that causes incompatibility with previous versions of Matlab is the new encoding of MAT files. Matlab release 14 writes character and figure data to MAT-files using Unicode encoding by default. Unicode encoded MAT-files are not readable by earlier versions of Matlab. If you intend to load your MAT-files created with Matlab release 14, you must override the Unicode default during the save. You can override the default encoding by using the -v6 switch with save and hgsave: save filename -v6 hgsave filename -v6 Hope it helps Linda wrote: > > > Hi! > > I have recently installed Matlab 7.0. > I have save my simulation results in .MAT file. > However, these MAT files can't be opened using Matlab 6.5.1. > > I encountered problem as follows: > > ??? Error using ==> load > Unable to read MAT file D:\MATLAB7\work\results.mat > > File ma...

Why can't Fortran-mex files be compiled on matlab V5.3 and run on matlab V6?
Hi, does anyone know why Fortran-mex files can't be compiled on matlab V5.3 and run on matlab V6? For example: if I compile the example-program (shipped with matlab) timestwo.f on matlab version 5.3 (R11) and try to run it on matlab version 6+ (R12 or R13), I get the error message: "Unable to load mex file: E:\timestwo.dll. The specified module could not be found. ??? Invalid MEX-file" Likewise if I compile it on matlab version 6.1 (R12), I get a similar error message if run on matlab version 5.3 (R11). However, if I run it on matlab version 6.5 it works OK. If I try the same experiment with the corresponding example file written in C, timestwo.c, I get no such problems. Why is that? Per A. Hi Per, usually MEX-files need to be compiled with the MATLAB version you want it later to run with. The reason is, that the code links against the current dynamic libraries (DLLs), which may change from version to version. You may have luck that it works (see your example of timestwo.f), but you should never rely on this. Titus "Per A. Brodtkorb" <Per.Brodtkorb@ffi.no> wrote in message news:eecb303.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > Hi, > > does anyone know why Fortran-mex files can't be compiled on matlab > V5.3 and run on matlab V6? > > For example: if I compile the example-program (shipped with matlab) > timestwo.f > on matlab version 5.3 (R11) and try to run > it on matlab version 6+ (R12 or R13), I ...

matlab file
i need to know how we calculate euclideandistance of a bitstream/codeword based on the channel gain of that particular codeword/bitstream subchannel ...

What is the best way to import Excel files, with stock data, into Matlab? I’m using Matlab R2010b (64-bit)
What is the best way to import Excel files, with stock data, into Matlab? I’m using Matlab R2010b (64-bit) I’m trying to import historical prices of stock data. Matlab keeps cutting off the header of each column; it gives me only values. I am thinking that this is a data-type-mixing-issue, or whatever it’s called. I have ‘Dates’ in ColumnA, and ‘MSFT’, ‘PWER’, ‘KO’, and ‘SBUX’, in ColumnB-ColumnE. Basically, if I put the Excel file in my Matlab folder and double-click the file, I see the values in a matrix (no dates and no headers), I hit ‘Next’. Then, I see only one option; one radio button is enabled – ‘Create variable matching preview’. The other two options, ‘Create vectors from each column using column names’ and ‘Create vectors from each row using row names’ – both are greyed out. I’ve seen videos, on YouTube and on the Matlab site, where people import excel data and these options are NOT greyed out. No matter what I do, there options are ALWAYS greyed out. The problem is, when I click ‘Finish’ in my ‘Workspace’ I have a variable named ‘data’ all values in a 575x4 matrix, but I have NO DATES and I have NO HEADERS on the columns. All of this seems to go into another variable, called ‘textdata’; all dates and headers ate in textdata. This is VERY inconvenient. I’m trying to analyze some stock data and I have no headers, so I have no idea which stock is which (I can figure it out, but I think Matlab should do this for me). Also, I have no dates corresponding to ...

Matlab engine with matlab R2010b

Shall i use the misrosoft Visual c++ code from a m-file generated from matlab in Visual C++ with out matlab runtime environment
undefined ...

Can I atomically include files to the ctf file of the Matlab compiler?
Hi, My problem: I've a function myHelperFcn.m which needs myData.mat and myImage.jpg at runtime. I can include the needed files with the -a option of the mcc command, like this: mcc -m myFcn.m –a myData.mat -a myImage.jpg But I'm searching for a mechanism like the function pragma (%#function myCallbackFcn) for non m-files, which atomically includes the needed files to the ctf file. thanks, Martin ...

Problem creating animation output file from Matlab m-file
I have a Matlab m-file that reads in my data and successfully displays to the screen an animation of the data. Now, I’m attempting to generate an animation *output file*, so that I can replay this animation in a portable (e.g. .gif ) format on other non-Matlab PCs. At present, the code that I show below *does* generate an “animation” output file (of several MB in size, where one component frame is several kB). However, the problem seems to be that the output “animation” file just contains hundreds of the same frame (which is the final frame of the entire animation), rather than the correct, individual animation frames. I’ve attempted to follow the example code shown in this Matlab Solutions link: How can I create animated GIF images in Matlab? http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-48KECO/?solution=1-48KECO and here is a simplification of my code (I omitted much of my correctly-working animation code, and included the full new animation-file-generating code): ------------------------------------------------------- filename = 'myAnimation.gif'; for i=1:Endval % calculate and plot animation to screen % ... set(plot(x,y,'b',x,y,'bo', xtarget, ytarget, 'rx'),'LineWidth',3); drawnow; % new animation-file-generating code frame = getframe(1); im = frame2im(frame); [imind,cm] = rgb2ind(im,256); imwrite(imind,cm,filename,'gif','WriteMode&...

how to add a file using Matlab's zip command to an exisiting zip file?
I was using matlab central's tool called exportToZip() to package an m file and its dependencies m files into one zip file. The problem is that this tool does not package a .fig file as well, that corresponds to an .m file (assuming such one exist, example for GUIDE application). So, in my Matlab script, I detect this, and then tried to add the .fig file to the zip file that was created. But after looking at the zip() command, it does not seem to support adding a file to a zip file? Or Am I missing something? I am using 2010a on windows. How else would one add a file to a zip file using Matlab? I can try using the system() command, but windows 7 does not seem to have a zip command at the DOS level. thanks --Nasser On 2/15/2012 12:11 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote: > I was using matlab central's tool called exportToZip() to > package an m file and its dependencies m files into one zip file. > > The problem is that this tool does not package a .fig file > as well, that corresponds to an .m file (assuming such > one exist, example for GUIDE application). > > So, in my Matlab script, I detect this, and then tried > to add the .fig file to the zip file that was created. > > But after looking at the zip() command, it does not seem > to support adding a file to a zip file? > > Or Am I missing something? > > I am using 2010a on windows. How else would one add a file > to a zip file using Matlab? I c...

Need help for a matlab mini project

Mex file crashes Matlab
Hello all, I created successfully a mex file. It is linked to an external dll and it worked fine (it returns correctly to matlab a vector). Recently I added an new function inside my c++ file which does not affect the result of the c++ function but is just used to improve some data manipulation. By the way, this function works quite well in a simple c++ file and I have already used many times in other c++ files (no-mex files). After added this function my matlab crashes and returns me this error: MATLAB crash file:C:\DOCUME~1\MILCEMEA~1.VAA\LOCALS~1\Temp\matlab_crash_dump.2996 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Segmentation violation detected at Wed Jul 28 18:38:04 2010 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Window System: Version 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 3) Processor ID: x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel Virtual Machine: Java 1.6.0_04-b12 with Sun Microsystems Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM mixed mode Default Encoding: windows-1252 Fault Count: 1 Register State: EAX = ffff5df8 EBX = 00c2e01c ECX = ffffffff EDX = e06d7363 ESI = ffff5df4 EDI = 04f169ec EBP = 00c2e028 ESP = 00c2cf40 EIP = 04ec186e FLG = 00010286 Stack Trace: [0] qlDiscountFactors.mexw32:0x04ec186e(0x00c2e158 "x£", 0x00c2e0b8, 0x00c2e1fc, 0) [1] 0x00c2e20c(0x8b00032b, 0x04c483d8, 0x85e85d89,...

Matlab builder JA: parse java string to matlab cell
Hi all, I'm building a java swing based GUI for my Matlab application. As such, user input is available as text strings, for example "{[0; 0], [3.5 0; 0 2]}" (mean vector and covariance matrix of a 2D Gaussian). The user input will be passed to the compiled matlab method as a MWCellArray. Problem is how do a convert (parse) the above string into a MWCellArray? From its javadoc http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/javabuilder/MWArrayAPI/index.html the following method is available: java.lang.String toString() Returns a string representation of this array, but the reverse method is not. Evidently, parsing a string like the one above is a non trivial task and I'm loath to attempt writing one by myself. I would be very thankful if someone can point me to the required parser implementation. Matlab itself is carrying out this task all the time, perhaps it is possible to access Matlab's own parser. Help much appreciated, Ritesh ...

reformat dat file in matlab
Hello all , I have a .dat file containing binary data.Every line in file has 16 bits but I want to read 40 bits at a time until the end of file. How can I do that? Could you provide me some guidelines? Thank you, Sanjeeb "Sanjeeb palikhel" <int89835@stud.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote in message <ndgf7r$fjs$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hello all , > > I have a .dat file containing binary data.Every line in file has 16 bits but I want to read 40 bits at a time until the end of file. How can I do that? Could you provide me some guidelines? > > Thank you, > > Sanjeeb content of file is like: 0000000000000000 0000001000001000 0000000000000001 1111110111110111 1111111111111101 0000001000001000 0000000000000011 1111110111110111 1111111111111011 0000001000001000 0000000000000101 1111110111110111 1111111111111000 and i want o format them as: 0000000000000000000000100000100000000000 0000000111111101111101111111111111111101 0000001000001000000000000000001111111101 and so on ...

Reading .BIN file in Matlab
Hi: I have a tomograph image dataset which are given in .BIN format. Could anyone please tell me how could I get the image from this .BIN file in Matlab? Also: if I make a .BIN file by writin a= [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7] and write the program like this fid= fopen('a.bin'); B = fread(fid, 'uint8'); then I am getting the output as B= [ 49 32 50 32 52 32 53 32 54 32 55] Would you please tell me how could I get B= [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]? Thanks in Advance Abir ...

wave file streaming in Matlab
Hi Everyone, I would like to stream a wave file in MATLAB while being written into it using a different program at the same time. So, the read and write into the wave file should happen simultaneously and should be done by different programs. For example, the writing to the wave file is done by a c++ program and the reading as a stream should be done in MATLAB. I have the program to write into the wave file and it flushes out the wave file for other programs to use it while writing into it. can anyone help me out with streaming this wave file into MATLAB. Thanking you in advance, -Anil Palaparthi. can anyone please help me out on this. I would like to stream a wave file in MATLAB while being written into it using a different program at the same time. So, the read and write into the wave file should happen simultaneously and should be done by different programs. For example, the writing to the wave file is done by a c++ program and the reading as a stream should be done in MATLAB. I have the program to write into the wave file and it flushes out the wave file for other programs to use it while writing into it. can anyone help me out with streaming this wave file into MATLAB. > Thanking you in advance, > -Anil Palaparthi. ...

how to encrypt *.fig matlab file?
Hi, I know matlab "pcode " function can encrypt *.m file. Does anyone know how to encrypt *.fig files (created with matlab GUIDE tool)? thanks. jutao ...

File conversion: fortran to matlab
Hello I have gone through google search, other forums and similar message posted here also. I have not got really a way to convert f90 file to matlab file. Its really a big file. Can anyone please help me? Thanks. I just did it today, on a 300 line file, by hand. If you know Matlab, Fortran isn't that much different I don't think. Just copy and paste, do some rearranging and relabeling, and you're done. Really, I have no Fortran training at all and I figured it out in less than an hour. I did have to use the online Fortran reference at IBM a couple of times to find out the syntax of the IF statements, DO loops, etc. It still wasn't that bad. "Sneha " <smithpamola@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:g3s1et$g8e$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hello > > I have gone through google search, other forums and similar > message posted here also. I have not got really a way to > convert f90 file to matlab file. Its really a big file. > Can anyone please help me? As an alternative to converting over the file, you may be able to write a wrapper to make this into a MEX-file: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_external/bp_kqh7.html The third and fifth items could be useful for you. -- Steve Lord slord@mathworks.com "Sneha " <smithpamola@yahoo.com> wrote in message <g3s1et$g8e$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hello > > I have gone through google search, other forums and simi...

Change of version for MATLAB files
Hi , I have installed MATLAB 7, now if I want to install 6.5 then how to change the version of MATLAB files which are made in version 7, as some files of newer version may not work in older version? "rajesh " <rajesh.shaw@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ff9e6t$26v$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi , > I have installed MATLAB 7, now if I want to install 6.5 > then how to change the version of MATLAB files which are > made in version 7, as some files of newer version may not > work in older version? There is NO version number for your m files when you create them? they are just plain text file. But If you create an .m file which runs ok under version 7, and you want this file to run ok under earlier versions (assuming it does not), then you need to make the necessary changes in your m file to make it run under earlier versions (this is sometimes called backporting). But if your m file calls function(s) that are part of Matlab and those functions only exist in version 7 and not in the erarlier version, then you might be out of luck there. I am not sure why you want to do this. The common practice is to go the other way. Any reason why, if you have version 7 you want to use version 6.5? may be if you give the reason it would help to give you a better advice. Nasser On Oct 18, 10:13 pm, "Nasser Abbasi" <n...@12000.org> wrote: > "rajesh " <rajesh.s...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > ne...

Matlab slows down after apeending to a file
Dear all, I am using matlab R2010b, 32bit version to 1) query a device and 2)store those results to hard disk. That device, actually is a measurement devices, every one second "feeds" matlab with 256kbytes of data (32.000 number of double precision). I am appending those measurements to a file and for reducing the extra burden I write those numbers fwrite(fileID, DataToWriteToFile, 'float32') as float32. After few days the size of the file increases in size (i.e 20Gb after 3 days of non stop getting n storing measurements into a file) and it looks like that the matlab is slowing down. By using tic, toc in my code I have found that this come from the writing part (fwrite). I was wondering then if this might be the case as the operating system is 32bit and thus addressing more of a few gigabytes has to start doing "weird" things (like keeping tracks of pointers around for accessing the extra space). Do you know if there are already mentioned such limitations in literature concerning file limitations in matlab? I would like to thank you in advance for your reply B.R Alex ...

How to print text file through matlab
Hi, Is there any command line to print text file through Matlab? Thanks C. Cinthia Chen wrote: > > > Hi, > Is there any command line to print text file through Matlab? > Thanks > C. Cinthia, I have a simple function allowing to print through Microsoft Word. If you are interested, send me a mail and I will reply with the function attached. Pierre On Thursday, November 4, 2004 at 7:50:43 PM UTC-6, Cinthia Chen wrote: > Hi, > Is there any command line to print text file through Matlab? > Thanks > C. printf('cos(%g) = %.11g\n',0.0,cos(0.0)); <brystler@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4b9f71b9-2498-4621-a6ea-cd743ba6217d@googlegroups.com... > On Thursday, November 4, 2004 at 7:50:43 PM UTC-6, Cinthia Chen wrote: >> Hi, >> Is there any command line to print text file through Matlab? >> Thanks >> C. First of all, if a thread is more than ten years old, there probably isn't a need to resurrect it by posting something new in it. If you have the same question, it's okay to post a new thread with the information relevant to your situation or needs (and link back to the old one if necessary or useful.) Newsgroups don't have a limit on the number of threads they can contain. Secondly: > printf('cos(%g) = %.11g\n',0.0,cos(0.0)); there is no function named printf in MATLAB. There are SPRINTF, for printing to strings, and FPRINTF, for printing to files...

problem in saving the file in matlab
hello...i m using MATLAB 2010a from last 2 weeks & there was no problem in saving the files in Matlab.but today whien i started saving my files in matlab they jst didn't save. There was no error message.Simply the files stopped from saving.Kindly guide me through this. "Megha Aggarwal" wrote in message <jk6ljo$44i$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > hello...i m using MATLAB 2010a from last 2 weeks & there was no problem in saving the files in Matlab.but today whien i started saving my files in matlab they jst didn't save. There was no error message.Simply the files stopped from saving.Kindly guide me through this. Did you by any chance overload the SAVE command? Put which save ... right before the save command takes place to make sure you are still using the builtin function. Bruno ...

Web resources about - Why does MATLAB rename my files? - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Undocumented Matlab
Undocumented, unsupported and hidden features in Matlab

Matlab Upazila - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... 23°21′N 90°42.5′E  /  23.35°N 90.7083°E  / 23.35; 90.7083 Coordinates : 23°21′N 90°42.5′E  /  23.35°N 90.7083°E  / 23.35; 90.7083 Matlab ...

Open Directory - Science: Math: Software: MATLAB
The MathWorks - Developers of MATLAB, Simulink and Stateflow. Offers products for data analysis, visualization, application development, simulation, ...

MATLAB Mobile on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about MATLAB Mobile. Download MATLAB Mobile and enjoy it on your iPhone, ...

The Smart Emergency Response System Using MATLAB and Simulink - YouTube
In the aftermath of an earthquake, every second counts for disaster victims. Imagine a system that can locate people quickly and help first responders ...

The A-Z of Programming Languages: MATLAB
What prompted the development of MATLAB?

Matlab: Invalid .NET Framework. Either the specified framework was not found or is not currently supported ...
If you are trying to compile Matlab into .Net framework, you might encounter this message, even though you have the .Net framework installed ...

Matlab edges closer to electronic design automation world
Matlab, one of the world's most widely used products for algorithmic development, has long occupied its own niche far removed from EDA and hardware ...

Can I/How do I use DMTCP with a parallel pool of MATLAB workers? · Issue #223 · dmtcp/dmtcp · GitHub
dmtcp - DMTCP: Distributed MultiThreaded CheckPointing matlab -nodisplay -r "parpool('local',4); parfor i=1:10, pause(1); fprintf('%i ',i); end; ...

Using MATLAB and SDR to Reverse Engineer 433MHz Messages
... so he focused on studying the methodology and the tools available for analyzing 433MHz RF transmission. He describes the process of using MATLAB ...